Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? (120194 Views)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by yfirstson(m): 6:06pm On Sep 09, 2013
The basic question is to ask what a science is.
Is it not stupid to equate programming to Computer Science? Definetely most posters on this thread don't know d definition of science.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 09, 2013
p.josh:
I am not saying studyin com.sci is bad,ii am jst saying is a waste of time.For example, if u do not study medicine or law ,u can never be a doctor or lawyer.A simple webdeveloper do not need all what u've mentioned above to create a website, but some pple still call him a computer scientist .
Don't knw if u understand what i am sayng?

just as u do not need to go to university to study medicine to be called doctor. herbal doctors are alsp doctors.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Originalsly: 6:08pm On Sep 09, 2013
Didn't go thru all the posts...my two cents...It depends on the course you choose and the level of the university. Computer science is evolving very fast. If the university is not up to speed ...then to me it's not worth it...you would be preparing for the past instead of the future.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by guyANDROID1: 6:10pm On Sep 09, 2013
And who tell the op that you don't need DBMS if you wanna be a web developer cuz you're shouting you know some people that are web developer, web so so so.

Guy DBMS is needed to manage ur web content whether you like it or not.

As nairaland dey now they have their own DBMS manager that organise their content abi seun I lie

Learning PHP, u must know MYSQL,apache(server installation), etc to able to write in php.
So op get your fact very wellu wellu
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by abujalapdog(m): 6:12pm On Sep 09, 2013
paddy4destiny: system analysis and design, computer architecture, simulation and modelling, artificial intelligence, logic design and digital system, compiler constrution, automata theory, etc. Cs is not all about programming. You can write a computer program does not mean you are a computer scientist.

Even digital mathematics tht u cant find anywhere than the school environment . If you are not a computer scientist you'll never understand better.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by legendprac(m): 6:27pm On Sep 09, 2013
I read computer science in d uni... And took some courses @ niit.... And I wouldn't have had it any other way......

The uni does more than teach u abt your course... It opens your eyes.... (Thus your certificate bears, 'found worthy in CHARACTER and in learning)

If we go by your logic, I bet you there are many(if not 90%) courses one shouldn't do in nigerian universities......

Do you know they read video editing in Unis abroad?

But by your logic, one can simply learn video editing all by himself,right?

I learnt video editing on my own,but I can't say reading it in d UNI is a waste
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by try69: 6:27pm On Sep 09, 2013
I don't even understand the argument here. Studying just any course that requires practical knowledge in Nigeria might turn out to be not totally a waste cos the theory aspect is not lost but on the practical might just be, but if you feel studying computer science in the uni anywhere is a waste, then you need your brain checked.

Why do they say Nigerian graduates are not employable? Mostly it's because most don't get to attain practical training in the various schools and that not only applies to computer science but other technological and Engineering courses.

And who said you cannot use your holidays to attend those learn-web-development-in-two-weeks centres?

If you wanna do IT, have your foundation in computer science and not mechanical Engineering or Economics, the relationship is quite clear.

The way Nigerians think baffles me walahi

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Lamasta(m): 6:34pm On Sep 09, 2013
Space booked for an important PROGRAM
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
rexspect: Computer science in the university is not all about programming languages alone. It involves System Analysis, Networking, DBMS, computer ethics and professionalism, System verification and validation, etc. All these you will not learn in your so called NIIT or afrihub. If really you know what you learnt from the university then you should know that there is big difference between learning Computer science in the university than outside the wall of the university.

Your Uncle's Point is Valid if it is a Nigerian University
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by tonididdy(m): 6:37pm On Sep 09, 2013
wtf...please dont tell me your uncle is a lecturer...please dont...pleas
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by hotwax: 6:38pm On Sep 09, 2013
CODE-EATER:
M going into school soon and I ain't studying com sci..but I can tell u here n nw dat sum programming languages DONT NEED KNOWLEDGE IN SCIENCE... It just needs ur brain n ability to comprehend... U can do without comp.sci
you can pick some on your own. Yet will never know how computer works. Knowing how to program php or html does not make you a programmer. These php and html were developed by computer scientist to make it possible for farmers/illiterate write program. Even if iyaloja take html, she will write it. That's the aim of computer scientist. For example I invented a programming language as my final year student. Remember a software is responsible for compiling/interp
Reting your HTML codes. That's why Nigerians are still backward technologically. We will never produce anything in this generation when somebody thinks he doesn't need to go attend university to be a computer scientist. You claimed you are a programmer, yet you can't interprete a finite insomata. Being able to pick java and write it doesn't mean you have contributed anything to tech. World. You are still like your users. You are all users. You are an ap
Pication user too.

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 09, 2013
Studying comp sci is nt a waste of tym...assembly language,logic,oprash can only be taught in d uni...because u see pple setting up patent medicine store...dat does nt mean a pharmacist has wasted his tym...datz a fallacy
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by sammirano: 6:40pm On Sep 09, 2013
Comp. Sci is great course, but come on it can be learnt out of school. even technologies you'll be exposed to in places like Aptech and others are real world situation which to best of my knowledge are being taught in abroad uni, technologies like cloud tech and other latest tech.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Anvaller: 6:41pm On Sep 09, 2013
Alright guys, I have seen different opinions here. All I have to say is that the guys that are of the opinion that studying comp sci is significantly inconsequential to pursuing a career in IT are more accurate in their opinion than the others. I.T is not only about coding and coding, there are alot of other path u can take without actually knowing how to code. Although its always easier if u have "some" coding skills. Even at that, u do not need to go to a university to know how to code.

My background is agriculture, then I flipped over to business and then maneuvered to computer programming without prior computer education. Now I am an application integration developer a part of IT where ppl are running away from because its very technical skills demanding. The question is if comp sci or whatever is relevant, why am I able to learn and function in this area? How am I even getting to work on these projects in the 1st place without any degree in computer science? Well answer is, the degrees are irrelevant. No potential client ever asked me did u study comp sci? In fact, my business qualification seem to be more relevant and respected even though the job is about programming.

The most important factor that determines whether u will get a programming job in I.T or not is ur ability to show that u have worked on similar project before, in fact, that is all a client wants to see, they dont want to see ur degree cos they know ur degree means nothing they only want to know that u have a sufficiently high level of education. U don't believe me? Go to linkedin right now and start looking at profiles of I.T professionals and look at what they studied in the university, look across guys from Europe and America

Now please note that I am not talking from the Nigerian perspective, I don't know whether Nigerian employers place importance on comp sci.

However, it is not all that easy to just learn some computer skills and start looking for job, U can only get a job by gaining experience as an intern in an I.T consulting firm. So this will enable u to reference the hands on skills u acquired from the company where u interned when u are applying for a job elsewhere.

I hope my contribution would help some that are interested in a career in IT but losing hope cos they are not currently studying comp science. If u have ability to comprehend complex logic , may be u can go for it. If u are one that hates logic and constantly solving technical problems, forget about IT even if u are currently studying computer science, unless ur ambition is to become a functional consultant which is not bad too but u can't earn as much as a technical guy.

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by coretechng1(m): 6:43pm On Sep 09, 2013
paddy4destiny: system analysis and design, computer architecture, simulation and modelling, artificial intelligence, logic design and digital system, compiler constrution, automata theory, etc. Cs is not all about programming. You can write a computer program does not mean you are a computer scientist.
.He is talking from a myopic perspective.He never took his time to look at the content of a computer science degree programme.Just leave him alone.So because you can code in a language makes you more employable in Shell than a CS graduate?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by hotwax: 6:47pm On Sep 09, 2013
If you call yourself programmer and can't write Clang, assembly, then you a user too. We african developers left Clang and assembly to the oyinbos. That's why we are still backward. All we shout is web design, php. Shaking my head for race of mediocres. No wonder someone claimed you don't need university education. They though university is about web-design. Can you learn artificial intelligence on your own. Who ever is advising must be an illiterate. I'm sorry to say. There is no difference between knowing how to use corel draw and knowing how to design web. They are both application of computer. They are still products of computer scientist.

3 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 09, 2013
wow your uncle is such a genius! shocked
I know he said lots of things, what else did he say? Did he also compare architectural engineers with bricklayers? Or your road side mechanic to a mechanical engineer?
Did he also have that arrogant look of 'a genius' on while advising you? Geniuses like your uncle are born once every 45 years!

4 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by coretechng1(m): 6:53pm On Sep 09, 2013
kodewrita:

Even biblically, the wise are the ones who take instruction and add to their knowledge. If someone wilfully decides that more knowledge is uninmportant, then they have commenced a journey down the path of failure.

Unless you want to spend your life creating crappy apps for small cash and never creating anything great, then you definitely need to go beyond the base level you are.

I personally would not trust a half-baked IT professional with highly critical applications if such a programmer sees 3rd Normal form-designed DBMS as unnecessarily academic or too much work.

Universities teach you the whole picture and not just the narrow field of programming. Yes you can learn it on your own with tools like www.coursera.com or http://ocw.mit.edu or www.edx.org among others but its easier if you attend a UNI.

Dont let envy/regret prevent you or others from gettting good education.
Well said.Because you can prescribe some drugs does not make you a pharmacist.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Arosam(m): 6:56pm On Sep 09, 2013
paddy4destiny: do not neglect the power of pascal and fortran, both are very good start-up lang
both are very good waste of time
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by highmood(m): 7:06pm On Sep 09, 2013
I have a friend who studied computer engineering at school yet he would boldly tell u he knows nothing about the ms office tools talk less of programming courses. I dnt know if it's the school or the individual. But I believe the school sometimes is not doing enough and also students should not depend on the school to teach them everything because the lecturers will only give you the rudiments and expect you to upgrade yourself.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by boyroy02: 7:08pm On Sep 09, 2013
[quote][/quote]Going on and on abt this argument is so not called for,its simple d only good use of spending 4yrs in a Nigerian uni is jst having d cert. Where as in d real world having d cert nd not being able to live up to d cert u have practically to me its simple 4 yrs wasted, cause u can do any other cause whether science or art it doesn't matter if u really have a flair for computers nd want to do great tinz with it, u can with out studying computer science in sch, u need is self development nd probably a good Computer INSTITUTE too, i studying mech Eng in sch thou wanted to study com sci but realized it was point less considering d so many great tinz i can do already without even evr enrolling in any computer training center or institute imagine if i had attended 1 d greater possibilities i'll be able to achieve, again i say it doesn't matter wat u study cuz as a mech Eng student i do assignments for computer science student in sch, i was so good a group of dem suggest dat i start up practical lessons for dem nd yes i did nd earned 4rm it. 'In essence all am trying to say is u can be great in d world of computer regardless of ur area of study if u have d love for it nd can identify ur area of interest in computer cuz d world of computer is very vast'
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by hotwax: 7:14pm On Sep 09, 2013
So we can say: there is no need to study mechanical engineering in school because we have road side mechanics. We don't need civil engineering because we already have bricklayers. And when big companies are looking computer science graduate, go and tell them you are a programmer. Or you think the degree is a joke?

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by hotwax: 7:14pm On Sep 09, 2013
So we can say: there is no need to study mechanical engineering in school because we have road side mechanics. We don't need civil engineering because we already have bricklayers. And when big companies are looking computer science graduates, go and tell them you are a programmer. Or you think the degree is a joke?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Sep 09, 2013
Personally i wont advise anyone to study computer science in Nigeria. Its a NO-NO like Afam said. I know many Nigerian Comp Sci grad abroad that cant even use simple computer applications (seems they don't do any lab practicals in Nigerian unis)

To be a good developer thou you need a university education. there is more to computers than programming really. if you can write programs that doesnt really mean u dont need a uni degree and doesnt mean you are a guru alrady. Most of the time your first years isnt even going to include any program learning. you do more of the concepts behind the computer itself and you get a broad understanding of how it works. second year might include concepts of programming languages (getting a broad understanding of languagues make it easy to learn the languages themselves, which you can then learn on your own) and you do more complex stuffs in you 3rd and final year (algorithms etc).

there might be few good schools in Niaja thou I am not sure . but if you can afford it, Go Abroad and learn (Good IT labs, latest techs, good training after school, etc)
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Olarewajub: 7:23pm On Sep 09, 2013
If you are trying to sentiment that education is a waste of time, i suggest you try ignorance. And for those Computer science Undergrate and those that are about to enter the Uni, note that life isn't all about shouting i'm a graduate. Your certificate is just a ticket. Knowledge is Power. Blevopedia

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by 0108(m): 7:27pm On Sep 09, 2013
- Decision science/management science/operations research
- Discrete mathematics of computing
- Computer architecture
- Digital computer logic
- Data structures and algorithms
- Operating systems
- DBMS
- Programming
- Low level language
- Compiler principles and techniques
- Systems analysis and design
- Microcomputing
- Computer networking
- Information storage and retreival systems
- Organization of programming languages
- Computer graphics
- Simulation and modelling
- Software engineering
- Computer centre management
- Artificial intelligence
. . .
#enoughSaid

I hope they teach you all these at NIIT/APTECH/AFRIHUB/NEW HORIZON/FIRST LOGIC/. . .

Just like saying political science as a Major is useless in Nigeria.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by godwinony(m): 7:48pm On Sep 09, 2013
I'm a 100 level student of computer science in uniport.. My 1st semester was spent teaching us loads of further maths and other "irrelevant" courses.. But they did introduce us to Q Basic.. (knew the importance when I started practicing C on my own in this strike)..
@op..your uncle is obviously wrong.. It's not a waste of time, an uncle of mine is a graduate of computer science and he's doing extremely well and a motivation to me.. I don't think that he would have been employed in such a plum job by being a simple roadside programmer..

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by ignis: 7:54pm On Sep 09, 2013
Op. Ur uncle is very very wrong....
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by try69: 8:08pm On Sep 09, 2013
hotwax: you can pick some on your own. Yet will never know how computer works. Knowing how to program php or html does not make you a programmer. These php and html were developed by computer scientist to make it possible for farmers/illiterate write program. Even if iyaloja take html, she will write it. That's the aim of computer scientist. For example I invented a programming language as my final year student. Remember a software is responsible for compiling/interp
Reting your HTML codes. That's why Nigerians are still backward technologically. We will never produce anything in this generation when somebody thinks he doesn't need to go attend university to be a computer scientist. You claimed you are a programmer, yet you can't interprete a finite insomata. Being able to pick java and write it doesn't mean you have contributed anything to tech. World. You are still like your users. You are all users. You are an application user too.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by boyroy02: 8:12pm On Sep 09, 2013
hotwax: So we can say: there is no need to study mechanical engineering in school because we have road side mechanics. We don't need civil engineering because we already have bricklayers. And when big companies are looking computer science graduate, go and tell them you are a programmer. Or you think the degree is a joke?

My point is i don't have to have a flair for mechanical Eng but wit my cert i can still get a good Job anywhere, while for computers i. Don't need to have a cert 4 it but can still prove my self anywere dat requires d services of a comp scienctist dat i am up to d task. Road side mechanics can't carry a good conversations on mechnics or how an engine works correctly, dey even barely knw d correct names of d parts of an Engine, i can explain how an Engine works nd name parts etc cause am studing it, but i don't need to srudy computer science to be able to explain how a computer works or programmes work in it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by sultanemerald(m): 8:16pm On Sep 09, 2013
p.josh:
I am not saying studyin com.sci is bad,ii am jst saying is a waste of time.For example, if u do not study medicine or law ,u can never be a doctor or lawyer.A simple webdeveloper do not need all what u've mentioned above to create a website, but some pple still call him a computer scientist .
Don't knw if u understand what i am sayng?

lie of the devil.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by crimo4us(m): 8:23pm On Sep 09, 2013
[quote author=p.josh]This is a conversation between my uncle and I.

Uncle: Josh, what course do you want 2 study.
Me: Computer Science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do you know any programming language
Me: Yes, I know python and am still learning it.
Uncle: Who taught you?
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle: Do not study com. Sci
Me: Why?
Uncle : Why waste 4 years in a Nigerian university studying Computer Science when you can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.

Me: I will need the certificate when looking for work.

Uncle: Look, even if you want to learn computer science don't depend on your cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take Computer Science as a course. [/quote

You and your uncle are mumu of the highest order to think computer Science is all about programming.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa / Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.