Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,363 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Another Christian Fallacy. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Another Christian Fallacy. (3906 Views)

Surprise! Another Christian Terrorist / Yet Another Christian Leader Has Allegations Of Adultery Amidst Marital Problems / The Fallacy Of "Free Will" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by UyiIredia(m): 12:37am On Sep 07, 2013
Ray McBlue:

I don't expect you to understand or agree, but I will explain anyway;

The creation of the Earth is closely tied to the formation of the solar system about five billion years ago.

The solar system condensed from a huge cloud of gas and dust, with the Sun forming as part of the cloud collapsed in on itself under the influence of gravity to the point where nuclear fusion could begin.

The Sun’s gravitational field attracted large amounts of material, which formed a disc-shaped structure around it, known as an accretion disc.

The Earth, like the other planets, was created around 4.54 billion years ago when some of the material from this disc came together to form a spherical body.

At some point early in its history, it is thought that a smaller planet collided with this body, increasing its size and resulting in the formation of the Moon.

This above is purely scientific.

To the extent what you propose isn't observable, it isn't PURELY scientific. Purely scientific doesn't apply to things that aren't repeatable because they happened only in the past.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Nyt: 2:01am On Sep 07, 2013
Wooow, do I say I'm intrigued

Since u obviously forgot to confirm from the bible it states d "earth" was without form and void

It doesn't mean earth had been created. Simply put the entitity to be called earth was without form and void

Without form - no shape (earth is circular)
Void - empty (ur model earth is probably empty with all those nuclear fusion)

And God said let their be light
I skipped geography classes in high skul but I rememba dat d sun is the only source of light other bodies reflect light so prof wat else was created now?

I'm here 2 learn and I tink dat link you discarded was quite enlightening if u had tried to read just d FIRST paragraph

So how was d earth created b4 d sun again **stun me**

BTW u shuld change d title of this thread since d fallacies are from poster-boy Ray get a life dude
***No harm intended***

1 Like

Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 6:45am On Sep 07, 2013
Nyt.:
Wooow, do I say I'm intrigued

Since u obviously forgot to confirm from the bible it states d "earth" was without form and void

For the fact that the name 'earth' was mentioned would imply that earth was already in existence.

Besides, it also mention something bout the spirit God moving upon the face of the water.

Again, water body would imply that earth already exist.

Earth without void would imply that it's empty,

Earth without form would imply that it's encroached by darkness which made it impossible to discern with the naked eyes.

Nyt.:
It doesn't mean earth had been created. Simply put the entitity to be called earth was without form and void

You don't seem to be equipped with an analytical mind or maybe you are just blind to the truth.

Without form - no shape (earth is circular)
Void - empty (ur model earth is probably empty with all those nuclear fusion)

Had no shape and yet contained water body...?

Mate, please think something through before you post.

Nyt.:
And God said let their be light
I skipped geography classes in high skul but I rememba dat d sun is the only source of light other bodies reflect light so prof wat else was created now?

In our solar system, what other body could alternate for Sun? Is there another primary light source that I don't know about?

Please explain.

Nyt.:
I'm here 2 learn and I tink dat link you discarded was quite enlightening if u had tried to read just d FIRST paragraph

LOL, now I'm certain you are confused, because the link agreed with me that earth was already in existence prior to God commanding light to appear. The only point of contention is that it also claimed that the Sun was already in existence as well.

Nyt.:
So how was d earth created b4 d sun again **stun me**

I already explained. Is it my fault that you are too ignorant and block-headed to comprehend?

Nyt.:
BTW u shuld change d title of this thread since d fallacies are from poster-boy Ray get a life dude
***No harm intended***

I already have a life, thank you very much.
The title stays the same until somebody proves otherwise.

4 Likes

Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 7:16am On Sep 07, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

To the extent what you propose isn't observable, it isn't PURELY scientific. Purely scientific doesn't apply to things that aren't repeatable because they happened only in the past.

I get your point.

It's debatable but in the spirit of fair play, I will modify my post to exclude Purely.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by vickyO(f): 10:31am On Sep 07, 2013
the events I mentioned were done as God ordered them. the parting of the red sea was ordered to pave way for the Israelites, the opening of the earth to swallow korah, dothan and abiram,. tsunamis and earthquakes are disasters but God being the owner of the universe used these events to help his children and punish offenders. can you scientifically use disasters for your own purpose
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Freksy(m): 10:57am On Sep 07, 2013
Ray McBlue:
Genesis 1:3 And God said, "Let
there be light," and there was light"

That light was the Sun.

Genesis account was not written to tell us the how/detail of creation, but the order in which things first appeared from the perspective of an earthly observer, had man been there.

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" - Gen 1:1
Beginning means the time when something starts; the first part of an event.

Gen 1:1 shows that God first created:
1. the heaven
2. the earth
Question: What made up this material heaven? Were the stars (including the sun) not part of this material heaven? Certainly, they were!

God also created the earth in the beginning. The earth was formless, lifeless and in darkness. Gen 1:1,2.

Subsequent events were no longer about the creation of the material heaven and earth, but the preparation of the earth for life.
At Gen 1:3, the preparation of the earth for life commenced. "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light"... This was light from the long-existing sun in the outer space, but the sun itself could not be seen through the overcast.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Nyt: 11:10am On Sep 07, 2013
Ray McBlue:
Ray McBlue: H

I love controversy...craves it, infact, a place without

And on that note, my first official post is as foll
ows;»»OH, this is gonna be good«« a little 'versy now and then is one hell of a sh$t hole.ey peeps, the name's McBlue and it's good to be here. A Nigerian bestie recommended me to this forum and so far so good, it's an ideal place to raise hell.

Oops! My bad

Let me give u some pointers
U know u shuldn't use words lyk hell,heaven e.t.c those aint scientific bad for ur image bro

humour me :
next time there's a tsunami walk between d walls of water.
Turn some damn water into wine or preferably **BEER**
Ur walking stick into a pet viper
Raise hitler from d dead
** feel free to add more here **

PS While ure @ it don't forget to walk halfway across d sea!
Then those theories of yours won't be "purely scientiic" they will be proven

Goodluck! (u'll be needing it)
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Heathen(m): 11:44am On Sep 07, 2013
vickyO: the events I mentioned were done as God ordered them. the parting of the red sea was ordered to pave way for the Israelites, the opening of the earth to swallow korah, dothan and abiram,. tsunamis and earthquakes are disasters but God being the owner of the universe used these events to help his children and punish offenders. can you scientifically use disasters for your own purpose
This post is full of a thousand fail.

1 Like

Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 12:28pm On Sep 07, 2013
Freksy:

Genesis account was not written to tell us the how/detail of creation, but the order in which things first appeared from the perspective of an earthly observer, had man been there.

Kinda made sense...

Freksy: "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" - Gen 1:1

I knew that...

Freksy: Gen 1:1 shows that God first created:
1. the heaven
2. the earth
Question: What made up this material heaven? Were the stars (including the sun) not part of this material heaven? Certainly, they were!

I object!

In the biblical context, heaven represents God's home, which isn't visible in the corporeal universe, so thus couldn't be the stars. In fact, Earth is the centre of the universe, if you take the bible literally.

Joshua told the Sun and moon to stand still and they complied, implying that Sun and the moon were revolving around the planet. Now, how is that logical?

Freksy: God also created the earth in the beginning. The earth was formless, lifeless and in darkness. Gen 1:1,2

Subsequent events were no longer about the creation of the material heaven and earth, but the preparation of the earth for life.

So, you agreed then that Biblical Earth was already created prior to everything else?

Freksy: At Gen 1:3, the preparation of the earth for life commenced. "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light"... This was light from the long-existing sun in the outer space, but the sun itself could not be seen through the overcast.

What overcast?

To go further, you need to understand the concept of Space.

Outside the protection of our ionosphere, the sun rays are deadly. A direct contact with the Sun would cause severe radiation resulting to cancer and death. What the ionosphere does is to filter the rays and reduce the harmful effect without reducing the intensity.

What I'm trying to say is that no amount of natural overcast(cloud) would stop the Sun from peeking through, take for instance, even when the Sun isn't shining on daytime, daylight remains present. That's because, the overcast(cloud cover) couldn't prevent Sunlight from peeking through.

Bottom line; Your overcast theory is invalid.

2 Likes

Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by UyiIredia(m): 5:13pm On Sep 07, 2013
The sun's motion was apparent. Even till date, we make the mistake of saying the sun rises and sets, never mind the metaphor. Joshua's error was unintended.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 6:10pm On Sep 07, 2013
Uyi Iredia: The sun's motion was apparent. Even till date, we make the mistake of saying the sun rises and sets, never mind the metaphor. Joshua's error was unintended.

The same old excuses and tactics of yore...

When backed into a corner, just claim Allegory.

Typical.angry
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by UyiIredia(m): 6:21pm On Sep 07, 2013
Ray McBlue:

The same old excuses and tactics of yore...

When backed into a corner, just claim Allegory.

Typical.angry

No, I meant Joshua made a mistake.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 6:28pm On Sep 07, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

No, I meant Joshua made a mistake.

I don't think so. The bible certainly doesn't think so, and neither did Joshua.

I'm pretty sure that when he made that statement, he meant it in a literal manner.

Just like the bible claim that man is made of clay in a literal manner.

Certainly, the bible is full of fantastic tales and claims that have no credibility in the modern world.

1 Like

Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 07, 2013
LOL. This guy opens a thread and spills drivel. Then he creates alternative accounts to like his own posts. He is even giving himself 6 likes for absolute nonsense.
How pathetic ur condition must be that u have relegated urself to such underhandedness.
Keep on with it. U will be disgraced soon. Shameless dolt.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 07, 2013
Where is the charlatan? I saw u enter this thread just now. Did u run away? No doubt to concoct even more dubious lies.
I will be waiting.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by DandeNumeruno(m): 6:39am On Sep 08, 2013
ifeness: Which god are we taking about here?

The flying spaghetti Meat ball.

1 Like

Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 7:09am On Sep 08, 2013
Dan_de_Numeruno:

The flying spaghetti Meat ball.

grin
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by UyiIredia(m): 7:36am On Sep 08, 2013
Ray McBlue:

I don't think so. The bible certainly doesn't think so, and neither did Joshua.

I'm pretty sure that when he made that statement, he meant it in a literal manner.

Just like the bible claim that man is made of clay in a literal manner.

Certainly, the bible is full of fantastic tales and claims that have no credibility in the modern world.

Literal or not it was mistake. I told you why: the sun does appear to move and even now we wrongly say the sun rises which isn't true. There are also many stories in the Bible that teach moral lessons despite being fabulous and there are stories which don't make as much strange claims eg the story of Ruth, the story of the Israelies kings and the story of Nehemiah amongst others.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 7:47am On Sep 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Literal or not it was mistake. I told you why: the sun does appear to move and even now we wrongly say the sun rises which isn't true. There are also many stories in the Bible that teach moral lessons despite being fabulous and there are stories which don't make as much strange claims eg the story of Ruth, the story of the Israelies kings and the story of Nehemiah amongst others.

At least, you agreed with me that the bible can be 'full of it' sometimes. wink
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by unmask: 9:11am On Sep 08, 2013
PhenomenonVFX: LOL. This guy opens a thread and spills drivel. Then he creates alternative accounts to like his own posts. He is even giving himself 6 likes for absolute nonsense.
How pathetic ur condition must be that u have relegated urself to such underhandedness.
Keep on with it. U will be disgraced soon. Shameless dolt.
I liked all he posted......anything else?

1 Like

Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 9:14am On Sep 08, 2013
unmask: I liked all he posted......anything else?

Thanks for that, pal, he needed it. wink grin
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by unmask: 9:19am On Sep 08, 2013
Freksy:

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" - Gen 1:1

Gen 1:1 shows that God first created:
1. the heaven
2. the earth

God also created the earth in the beginning. The earth was formless, lifeless and in darkness. Gen 1:1,2.

At Gen 1:3, the preparation of the earth for life commenced. "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light"... This was light from the long-existing sun in the outer space, but the sun itself could not be seen through the overcast.
what I love most about the chritian-atheist argument is the amount of maybes it generates

in the article referenced by vicky, the poster siad the earth could have been created in six phases and not six days

another person said all things (electricity, cars and maybe computers had been created, just waiting for mañ to find it)

guess some people should be reminded that christians persecuted scientists for discovering most of the things they used today.....calling them heretics.....

I actually thought someone will say six days meant sixthousand yrs

1 Like

Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 9:44am On Sep 08, 2013
LOL, most of these religious folks are out of touch with reality. Their answer to everything is that you can't question God's agenda.

When you backed them into a corner, they would used the allegory excuse, etc.

The one that said that God invented modern technology before Adam and Eve got me cracking up. The guy was obviously on a weed trip(I promptly ignored all his subsequent posts).

He conveniently forgot that before Galileo debunked that claim, that the Roman Catholic church(which represented Christianity in those era), believed that Sun and in fact the whole universe revolves around the earth, earth being flat, etc. They hated technology and progress with passion, because it threatened their belief.

Like you mentioned earlier, they kill anybody that dare to challenge their faith.(Galileo met the same fate, btw).

Why?

Simply, because it's what the bible made them to believe.

They were only being good Christians.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 08, 2013
unmask: I liked all he posted......anything else?

aside from u who else did? And which of his posts did u like? U went through all of his comments and liked everything? I am calling the OP out let others who did indicate so and let me see. grin
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 10:41am On Sep 08, 2013
[size=16pt]Please unmask, ignore this mad boy. His childish attempt to derail this thread will continue to fail.[/size]
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Freksy(m): 10:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
Ray McBlue:
Genesis 2:1 And the earth was without form and void, and the darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
This verse showed that he had already created the planet itself. It was without form because of the darkness encroaching it. The void meant that it was devoid of any life(it was empty).
You don't seem to know your scriptures, do you?

I am sure you mean Genesis 1:2, not Genesis 2:1.

It tells us about the condition of the earth prior to its preparation for life.

It does not erase what was written at Gen. 1:1 which shows that, in the BEGINNING God created the HEAVEN (starry heaven, with the sun inclusive)...

Gen 1:2 does not say there was no material/physical heaven with its stellar bodies before the earth was created.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Freksy(m): 11:07pm On Sep 08, 2013
Ray McBlue:

Kinda made sense...

I knew that...

I object!

In the biblical context, heaven represents God's home, which isn't visible in the corporeal universe, so thus couldn't be the stars. In fact, Earth is the centre of the universe, if you take the bible literally.

According to the bible, the physical heaven(s) may apply to the full range of earth's atmosphere in which dew and frost form, the birds fly etc.

"Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven, ..." Gen. 27:28 (KJV)

"Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not,..." Matthew 6:26 (ASV)

Also, the physical "heaven(s)" extend through earth's atmosphere and beyond to the regions of outer space with their stellar bodies - sun, moon, stars, and constellations. (De 4:19; Isa 13:10; 1Co 15:40,)

"When you look up to the sky and see the sun, moon, and stars – the whole heavenly creation ..." Due. 4:19 - NET

"For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof ..." Isa 13:10 KJV

[size=16pt]The first verse of the Bible describes the creation of such starry heavens prior to the development of earth for human habitation. (Ge 1:1)[/size]

These heavens show forth God's glory, even as does the expanse of atmosphere, being the work of God's "fingers."

"When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, The moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him?" Psalms 8:3-4 (ASV)
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Freksy(m): 11:51pm On Sep 08, 2013
Ray McBlue:
Joshua told the Sun and moon to stand still and they complied, implying that Sun and the moon were revolving around the planet. Now, how is that logical?

Very logical!

Joshua told the sun and moon to stand still in relation to the viewpoint of those at the battle scene. The sunset was postponed for almost a day's time. Joshua 10:1-14

Today, we know the sun neither rises nor sets in reality, but the rotating earth makes it seem so to earthly observers.

Sunrise = sun rising above the horizon.....gives mental impression of an upward movement of the sun.

Sunset = sun falling below the horizon......gives mental impression of a downward movement of the sun.

Although the Sun appears to "rise" from the horizon, it is actually the Earth's motion that causes the Sun to appear. The illusion of a moving (rising and falling) Sun results from Earth observers being in a rotating reference frame.

Nevertheless, we consider it normal and logical to use those expressions (sunrise and sunset) when considering the aforementioned. This does not imply the sun literally rises or falls. It does not mean we rather take the earth to be the center of the universe. Logically too, Joshua was correct, considering the viewpoint of those at the battle scene.

Moreover, while the event at Jos 10:1-14 could mean a stopping of earth's rotation, it could have been accomplished by other means, such as a refraction of solar and lunar light rays to produce the same effect.

Whatever the method employed, it demonstrated that "Whatever the Lord pleases he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps". Psalms 135:6
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Freksy(m): 7:25am On Sep 09, 2013
Ray McBlue:
What overcast?

That of the primeval's atmosphere that enveloped the earth then like swaddling bands.

To go further, you need to understand the concept of Space.

Ok sir.

Outside the protection of our ionosphere, the sun rays are deadly. A direct contact with the Sun would cause severe radiation resulting to cancer and death. What the ionosphere does is to filter the rays and reduce the harmful effect without reducing the intensity.

Do other planets in our solar system have such protective atmosphere?

In addition to being a protective shell, the atmosphere keeps the warmth of the earth from being lost to the coldness of space. And the atmosphere is itself kept from escaping by the earth's gravitational pull. That gravity is just strong enough to accomplish this, but not so strong that our freedom of movement is hampered.

Are these, and lots more, works of blind chance?

What I'm trying to say is that no amount of natural overcast(cloud) would stop the Sun from peeking through, take for instance, even when the Sun isn't shining on daytime, daylight remains present. That's because, the overcast(cloud cover) couldn't prevent Sunlight from peeking through.

The primitive earth's atmosphere (initially rich in carbon dioxide) was far thicker and darker than what we have today. It enwrapped the earth like swaddling bands around a baby.

"When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it," - Job 38:9 (KJV)

Thus, the light from the sun came in a gradual process, extending over a long period of time, not instantaneously as when you turn on an electric light bulb. The light source(s) were not discernible immediately until much later.

Bottom line; Your overcast theory is invalid.

No!

Bottom line:
1. Impliedly, your equation of the refractive index of today's atmosphere with the primeval's is quite illogical.

2. It's diffused light, not direct light from the sun that first reached the earth. This explains why the sun was not visible on "day" one. There is essentially no direct sunlight under an overcast sky, so all light then was diffuse sky radiation.

In other words, on the first "day" diffused light from the sun evidently penetrated the "swaddling bands", but the sources of that light could not have been seen by an earthly observer (had man been there) because of the cloud layers still enveloping the earth.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Freksy(m): 7:34am On Sep 09, 2013
unmask: what I love most about the chritian-atheist argument is the amount of maybes it generates

in the article referenced by vicky, the poster siad the earth could have been created in six phases and not six days

another person said all things (electricity, cars and maybe computers had been created, just waiting for mañ to find it)

guess some people should be reminded that christians persecuted scientists for discovering most of the things they used today.....calling them heretics.....

I actually thought someone will say six days meant sixthousand yrs

You quoted my post just to put up this?

Now what is your point?
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by RayMcBlue(m): 7:38am On Sep 09, 2013
First and foremost Freksy, I commend you for the pain-staking effort you must have put in the above posts, trying to explain away the fallacious, inconclusive, irrational, invalid, incorrect, sophistical, unreasonable, scientific unsound commentary known as the bible.

Let me take you back in time, before the modern period began.

You see, the bible was so literal in it's implications that the bible scholars took it at face value. From what they could garner from the passages, the earth was the centre of the universe, while heaven is celestial(otherworldly, not of this dimension). Pursuing their logic, since the earth was the centre, Everything else is secondary.

In fact according to their comprehension of the 'holy book' God lived directly behind the clouds and if you were able to navigate past the clouds somehow, you would see God. The tower of babel Story proves my point in that regard.

Most Christian Apologists of today are quick to plead allegory, claiming that most passages of the bible are metaphoric and shouldn't be taken literally. Somehow, I don't see the poetic state of God as he created man from dust, woman from ribs of man, or when he sent tower of babel crumbling down. All these are biblical literal manifestations of God and shouldn't be further undermine by unreasonable excuses.

In the beginning God was very literal and clear as he could be. He created the heaven and earth, Heaven being his home along with all his angels and what-not. From the biblical context, he wasn't referring to the 'starry Heavens or he would have mentioned the stars.

The earth was without form and void, in other words, the earth was very dark and completely empty of life. Now how could earth be that dark if the stars were already in attendance? [Even in very dark nights of nowadays when moonlight is not visible, Stars, give out some illuminance of their own, thereby creating a mini-moonlight atmosphere].

When God commanded light to appear, in the physical world it could be construed as daylight coming to the surface of the earth for the first time. In a Scientific world only two things could hide Sun rays from reaching the earth surface - Eclipse(caused by the moon), and, Night(caused by earth rotation) - thereby bringing everything to total darkness.

So how come that the Sun remained hidden from the earth until God commanded it to appear? If God had already created it, it should have illuminated the earths surface immediately, don't you think? Surely cloud cover isn't enough to keep out the rays of the Sun from reaching the surface(?)

In that regard, the bible was very literal. It meant everything as it left it, religious, sentimental, supernatural. Trying to attach scientific back-up(connotation) or calling it a metaphor would only serve to undermine it further.

Biblical Earth precedes Sun and no amount of excuses would change that. It's what was written in the first chapter of The Book Of Genesis.
Re: Another Christian Fallacy. by Freksy(m): 7:58pm On Sep 09, 2013
Ray McBlue: First and foremost Freksy, I commend you for the pain-staking effort you must have put in the above posts, trying to explain away the fallacious, inconclusive, irrational, invalid, incorrect, sophistical, unreasonable, scientific unsound commentary known as the bible.

Take it easy.

Let me take you back in time, before the modern period began.

Ok

You see, the bible was so literal in it's implications that the bible scholars took it at face value. From what they could garner from the passages, the earth was the centre of the universe, while heaven is celestial(otherworldly, not of this dimension). Pursuing their logic, since the earth was the centre, Everything else is secondary.

In fact according to their comprehension of the 'holy book' God lived directly behind the clouds and if you were able to navigate past the clouds somehow, you would see God. The tower of babel Story proves my point in that regard.

Most Christian Apologists of today are quick to plead allegory, claiming that most passages of the bible are metaphoric and shouldn't be taken literally. Somehow, I don't see the poetic state of God as he created man from dust, woman from ribs of man, or when he sent tower of babel crumbling down. All these are biblical literal manifestations of God and shouldn't be further undermine by unreasonable excuses.

You have said it all. Many of those bible scholars pursued their logics according to their comprehension of the holy book.
This is not different from what you and other self-acclaimed science scolars on NL are doing - pursuing your logic according to your comprehension of science.
For example, you fail to realize that the light you see today from stars left them many years ago.

In the beginning God was very literal and clear as he could be. He created the heaven and earth, Heaven being his home along with all his angels and what-not. From the biblical context, he wasn't referring to the 'starry Heavens or he would have mentioned the stars.

Genesis account of creation has nothing to do with spiritual/immaterial heaven - the place of abode of the spirit/immaterial beings.
Everything created in that account was 100% material. The heaven metioned at Genesis 1:1 was physical/material, with its stellar bodies. The earth too was material with its crust.

The earth that was created had its crust, but the bible did not mention it at Gen 1:1. However, we got this information from a related text. Similarly, the heaven that was created had its stellar bodies, but the bible did not also mention it at Gen 1:1. Nevertheless, from related scriptures, we got more information on that.

Moreover, be reminded that the bible was not written as a science textbook, hence, certain scientific details in the account were unnecessary.

The earth was without form and void, in other words, the earth was very dark and completely empty of life. Now how could earth be that dark if the stars were already in attendance? [Even in very dark nights of nowadays when moonlight is not visible, Stars, give out some illuminance of their own, thereby creating a mini-moonlight atmosphere].

When God commanded light to appear, in the physical world it could be construed as daylight coming to the surface of the earth for the first time. In a Scientific world only two things could hide Sun rays from reaching the earth surface - Eclipse(caused by the moon), and, Night(caused by earth rotation) - thereby bringing everything to total darkness.

LOL... the light you see today left those stars many years ago.

So how come that the Sun remained hidden from the earth until God commanded it to appear? If God had already created it, it should have illuminated the earths surface immediately, don't you think? Surely cloud cover isn't enough to keep out the rays of the Sun from reaching the surface(?)

In that regard, the bible was very literal. It meant everything as it left it, religious, sentimental, supernatural. Trying to attach scientific back-up(connotation) or calling it a metaphor would only serve to undermine it further.
Biblical Earth precedes Sun and no amount of excuses would change that. It's what was written in the first chapter of The Book Of Genesis.

You probably know that photons are created by fusion reactions inside the Sun’s core. They start off as gamma radiation and then are emitted and absorbed countless times in the Sun’s radiative zone, wandering around inside the massive star before they finally reach the surface.
What you probably don’t know, is that these photons striking your eyeballs today were ACTUALLY created tens of thousands of years ago and it took that long for them to be emitted by the sun.

[size=16pt]Simply put, the light from the sun that you see today left it core tens of thousands of years ago.[/size]

Once they escaped the surface, it was only a short 8 minutes (with present atmosphere) for those photons to cross the vast distance from the Sun to the Earth.

Can you now see why the earth was in absolute darkness, despite the fact that the sun pre-existed it?

"And the earth was without form , and void ; and darkness was upon the face of the deep..." - Gen 1:2 KJV

"When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it," - Job 38:9 (KJV)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Efcc Probes Foursquare Gospel Church's Go / True Confession Of A Mermaid. Very Touching.... / Sexuality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.