Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,876 members, 7,956,308 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:38 AM

Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? (3274 Views)

Good Governance: I Need Your Prayers- Buhari Tells Religious Leaders / Igbo Leaders Seek Ambode’s Cooperation / Itsekiri Leaders Seek President Jonathan Resignation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by eluquenson(m): 9:36am On Sep 08, 2013
SHOULD RELIGIOUS LEADERS SEEK POLITICAL POSITIONS?

In the recent time, we have experienced a failed system whereby our representative are no longer responsive to our needs and agitation.

Whats your opinion on the subject matter, can they be given a trial?
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by Gombs(m): 11:22am On Sep 08, 2013
Why not?

Emm....did I make First place? grin
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by Afam4eva(m): 11:23am On Sep 08, 2013
What's stopping them? But they shouldn't say that God told them to contest thereby blackmailing people's emotions.

4 Likes

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by jmoore(m): 11:24am On Sep 08, 2013
If one can vote then he/she can seek for political office.
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by 10cent: 11:25am On Sep 08, 2013
Their religious beliefs won't cahnge anything, they are just same as every other Nigerians so it won't make any difference.
Corruption ãпԃ politics in those religious organisations is not different from those of tђε̲̣̣̣̥ circular national politics so it is tђε̲̣̣̣̥ same thing all tђε̲̣̣̣̥ way.

2 Likes

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by deols(f): 11:26am On Sep 08, 2013
They should.

why not?
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by free2ryhme: 11:32am On Sep 08, 2013
the question is how credible is our religious leaders

2 Likes

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by Gombs(m): 11:38am On Sep 08, 2013
I recently did a bit of reading on Robert Drinan,
a Catholic priest (Jesuit) who served as a
Representative in Congress in 1970s. He is only
one of two priests to have ever done so in the
United States.
He's become a controversial figure in
Catholicism, voting numerous times in his career
in favor of pro-choice policies yet claiming to be
personally against abortion. It seems that due
to this kind of blatant disobedience and
seemingly incompatible political positions with
the Church that Pope John Paul II basically
banned clergy from holding political offices.

But doesn't this demonstrate that even
religious leaders are capable of separating their
spiritual and secular life? Personally I think
Robert Drinan pushed the envelope just a bit,
yet I can see his reasoning to a certain extent.

So, back to the question whether religious
leaders be allowed to hold political office,
specifically democratically elected positions is precarious, because even if they largely adhere to and acknowledge the political
implications on their faith, I think they should abstain, rather they should pastor political leaders. After all, doesn't
everyone have some sort of a bias? Esp in a multicultural/religious country as Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by Valentinooo: 11:43am On Sep 08, 2013
That's when you will now realise that our religious leaders are not better than the polithiefcians
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by LMAyedun(m): 11:47am On Sep 08, 2013
Genuine religious Leaders will perform much better.
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by harjiboyede: 11:50am On Sep 08, 2013
I'm sure u knw dey r doin well in their ministries, nd dat's y u askd dat questn. I think dat's d area dey r cald by God 2 serv whc means dey myt mess up if dey choose to lead ds nation, except dey r orderd by God
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by tobechi20(m): 11:55am On Sep 08, 2013
They are qualified .they have the right.
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by BoboT360: 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
what trial? What is their contribution to solve the problem of this country? Are they not the one praying for the success of politicians? They can tell the truth for politicians for the progress of this country.

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by nora544: 12:04pm On Sep 08, 2013
I see no religious leader in nigeria who is better than the politicans.

Normaly religious leaders speak for the poor in the country, speak against a law in the country what will make the poor poorer, did you hear something like that in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by docadams: 12:17pm On Sep 08, 2013
What 'world' did Jesus Christ warned christians not to be part of because he wasn't part of it?

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by slap1(m): 12:20pm On Sep 08, 2013
NO. There is somewhere in the scripture (I've forgotten) where they are advised not to concern themselves with the politics of the world. . .
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by juman(m): 12:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
Most of the "religious" leaders in nigeria are as greedy and selfish as the useless politicians.

3 Likes

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by fitzmayowa: 12:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
Religion leaders are they not human being Even though 95 percent of religious leaders in Nigeria are thieves...

2 Likes

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 08, 2013
slap1: NO. There is somewhere in the scripture (I've forgotten) where they are advised not to concern themselves with the politics of the world. . .

Exactly. I think it was either Peter or Paul who gave this advice.
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
Religion beget Politics in Nigeria.

Same old s.hit.
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by searay(m): 1:11pm On Sep 08, 2013
When the righteous is on the throne, the people rejoice. #ETTs
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by UyiIredia(m): 1:34pm On Sep 08, 2013
No probs. Though I take issue with the God sent me mentality which leaves them vulnerable to ridicule. The thing is do, religious leaders should be pragmatic about running for office, they tend to do it unrealistically (ie run for president at a go).
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by otss(m): 2:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
no need asking this question, they are in politics already, we have them as commissioners, housemembers, SAs, PAs. Yet it's same nigeria never change, or do you want to hear pastor lagbaja, governor of ibile or prophet ibaje, presient of the rupublic of end time b4 U knw they aleady flooding politics? I remember pastor ranti akerele who served as a commissioner in ondo state, his exploit find out ok.
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by Omotolaaraujo(f): 7:11pm On Sep 08, 2013
No, religion and politics don't mix. History has proven my point.

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by Nobody: 1:49am On Sep 09, 2013
Should politicians seek religious positions? wink
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by Brimmie(m): 1:51am On Sep 09, 2013
Ceteris Paribus.. Why Not??

Ok.. Seen.. Read.. Digested!! Next!! undecided
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by ayobase(m): 7:51am On Sep 09, 2013
Why not, so far they can take Nigeria to the promised land.....The Pastors, Imams, Atheists, Herbalists..... are all welcome...let's try out SPIRITOCRAZY!
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by eluquenson(m): 7:56am On Sep 09, 2013
ayobase: Why not, so far they can take Nigeria to the promised land.....The Pastors, Imams, Atheists, Herbalists..... are all welcome...let's try out SPIRITOCRAZY!
undecided
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by PassingShot(m): 8:09am On Sep 09, 2013
My take is that any religious leader who is still very interested in upholding and fighting for truth, fairness and justice should not seek for any elective position. The role of religious leaders should be that of upholding/encouraging what is right and condemning what is wrong. This all important duty can better be performed when they stay out of politics for that is when they can air their religion-informed opinion without fear and prejudice. Our current state as a country has deteriorated to this unfortunate level because our religious leaders have dabbled into politics and thus are no longer fit or qualified to say things as they are.
Religious leaders are suppose to serve as guide to the politicians from going astray from the right path. To do otherwise is tantamount to having directionless political class as we have today in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by tejpot(m): 10:05am On Sep 09, 2013
Let us be a light to this generation!
Re: Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Sep 09, 2013
nora544: I see no religious leader in nigeria who is better than the politicans.

Normaly religious leaders speak for the poor in the country, speak against a law in the country what will make the poor poorer, did you hear something like that in nigeria.
wht of the G.O of MFM.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ex-president Obasanjo Paid A Surprise Visit To President Jonathan In Kenya / "Shekau": I Started With One Knife, Now I Have 20 Armoured Tanks / Anyim, Otti, Call For Cancellation Of Polls In Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.