Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos (4724 Views)

How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? / Telecommunication: Msc Physics Or Msc EE After MCITP / How Do I Study For Ican/ats Examinations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by azyaq(m): 11:10am On Sep 08, 2013
Season greeting, I have been looking for where i can study Telecom Aviation or Fiber Optic in Lagos, can anybody furnish me with this information. Thanx
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by dhaewood(m): 3:50am On Oct 08, 2013
U NEED TO STUDY AVIONICS, GET ME ON 08026272323 FOR MORE INFO

Avionics are the electronic systems used on aircraft, artificial satellites, and spacecraft.
Avionic systems include communications, navigation, the display and management of multiple systems, and the hundreds of systems that are fitted to aircraft to perform individual functions. These can be as simple as a searchlight for a police helicopter or as complicated as the tactical system for an airborne early warning platform.
The term avionics is a portmanteau of the words aviation and electronics.

Modern avionics
Avionics plays a heavy role in modernization initiatives like the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Next Generation Air Transportation System project in the United States and the Single European Sky ATM Research (SESAR) initiative in Europe. The Joint Planning and Development Office put forth a roadmap for avionics in six areas

Published Routes and Procedures – Improved navigation and routing
Negotiated Trajectories – Adding data communications to create preferred routes dynamically
Delegated Separation – Enhanced situational awareness in the air and on the ground
LowVisibility/CeilingApproach/Departure – Allowing operations with weather constraints with less ground infrastructure
Surface Operations – To increase safety in approach and departure
ATM Efficiencies – Improving the ATM process
Founded in 1957, the Aircraft Electronics Association (AEA) represents more than 1,300 member companies, including government-certified international repair stations specializing in maintenance, repair and installation of avionics and electronic systems in general aviation aircraft. The AEA membership also includes manufacturers of avionics equipment, instrument repair facilities, instrument manufacturers, airframe manufacturers, test equipment manufacturers, major distributors, engineers and educational institutions.

Aircraft avionics

The cockpit of an aircraft is a typical location for avionic equipment, including control, monitoring, communication, navigation, weather, and anti-collision systems. The majority of aircraft power their avionics using 14- or 28‑volt DC electrical systems; however, larger, more sophisticated aircraft (such as airliners or military combat aircraft) have AC systems operating at 400 Hz, 115 volts AC.[6] There are several major vendors of flight avionics, including Panasonic Avionics Corporation, Honeywell (which now owns Bendix/King), Rockwell Collins, Thales Group, GE Aviation Systems, Garmin and Avidyne Corporation.
International standards for avionics equipment are prepared by the Airlines Electronic Engineering Committee (AEEC) and published by ARINC.

Communications
Communications connect the flight deck to the ground and the flight deck to the passengers. On‑board communications are provided by public address systems and aircraft intercoms.
The VHF aviation communication system works on the airband of 118.000 MHz to 136.975 MHz. Each channel is spaced from the adjacent ones by 8.33 kHz in Europe, 25 kHz elsewhere. VHF is also used for line of sight communication such as aircraft-to-aircraft and aircraft-to-ATC. Amplitude modulation (AM) is used, and the conversation is performed in simplex mode. Aircraft communication can also take place using HF (especially for trans-oceanic flights) or satellite communication.
See also: Aircraft Communication Addressing and Reporting System

Navigation
Main article: Radio navigation
Navigation is the determination of position and direction on or above the surface of the Earth. Avionics can use satellite-based systems (such as GPS and WAAS), ground-based systems (such as VOR or LORAN), or any combination thereof. Navigation systems calculate the position automatically and display it to the flight crew on moving map displays. Older avionics required a pilot or navigator to plot the intersection of signals on a paper map to determine an aircraft's location; modern systems calculate the position automatically and display it to the flight crew on moving map displays.
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 10:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
OP, there is NO PLACE in Lagos to study Aviation Telecommunications. it is otherwise called Aeronautical Telecommunications Engineering. The first commentator may not understand what you want. ATE iis NOT Avionics.
Aeronautical Telecoms Engr(ATE) is only offered at the Nig. College of Aviation Tech, Zaria. if you have anythg less than B.Sc/HND, it is a 90 weeks prog. but with B.Sc/HND it is a 57 week prog divided into 3 terms. you will be licensed by NIG civil Aviation Auth. Fees now shd be 1.3m. it is highly restricted coz of national security issues.

you learn about CNS/ATM(communications-Radios...terrstial and Satellites,Safe Tower,etc. Navigation...divided into Landing and Enroute aids...Landing has to do with ILS...localizers, Glide Slope, Marker Beacons? MLs,etc and Enroute...VOR,NDB,DME,etc while S〓Surveillance or RADAR systems) ATM means Air Traffic Management.

If you believe what I have posted is useful, drop ur comment I will assist. with all humility, I know what Am talking about SERIOUSLY.

Wishing you a great day

2 Likes

Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by Nobody: 5:40am On Oct 18, 2013
idy4eva: OP, there is NO PLACE in Lagos to study Aviation Telecommunications. it is otherwise called Aeronautical Telecommunications Engineering. The first commentator may not understand what you want. ATE iis NOT Avionics.
Aeronautical Telecoms Engr(ATE) is only offered at the Nig. College of Aviation Tech, Zaria. if you have anythg less than B.Sc/HND, it is a 90 weeks prog. but with B.Sc/HND it is a 57 week prog divided into 3 terms. you will be licensed by NIG civil Aviation Auth. Fees now shd be 1.3m. it is highly restricted coz of national security issues.

you learn about CNS/ATM(communications-Radios...terrstial and Satellites,Safe Tower,etc. Navigation...divided into Landing and Enroute aids...Landing has to do with ILS...localizers, Glide Slope, Marker Beacons? MLs,etc and Enroute...VOR,NDB,DME,etc while S〓Surveillance or RADAR systems) ATM means Air Traffic Management.

If you believe what I have posted is useful, drop ur comment I will assist. with all humility, I know what Am talking about SERIOUSLY.

Wishing you a great day
Please what are the subjects to study if planning for an entrance exam and oral interview in aviation(pilot)? Thanks
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 11:24pm On Oct 20, 2013
Physics, Geography, Maths, General paper...something like being able to write the Nigerian national Anthem both stanzas and the Pledge.
Aviation Minister,etc. Quite minor if you are an average student you should make it.

Graduates and School certificate (SSC)holders kind of do same tests but graduates are often given preference in admission while Secondary school leavers are preferred pilots coz graduates often as "WHY"? and it is "DANGEROUS" in flying. It reflect a tendency to 'experiment'.

You MUST pass you Medicals with FAR ABOVE average. If you use glasses....hmmmmm you MAY not make it.

Just give your best. DONT EVER imagine to cut conners pls. it is NOT obtainable even if your father is the President you can as Suntai(Gov. of Taraba State he did his PPL 2009-2010).
If you fail a test,you resit. If you fail resit you are gone and no refunds. No jokes bro!

I hope it helps.
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by Nobody: 11:16pm On Oct 21, 2013
Thanks
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by azyaq(m): 7:27pm On Nov 09, 2013
idy4eva: OP, there is NO PLACE in Lagos to study Aviation Telecommunications. it is otherwise called Aeronautical Telecommunications Engineering. The first commentator may not understand what you want. ATE iis NOT Avionics.

Wishing you a great day
thank Ɣΰ sir can i get ur contact. Send it to yakazeez@gmail.com
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by zeestone99(m): 10:57am On Nov 11, 2013
Ify4eva Plz I need ur contact send to zeestone99@gmail.com
Thnks
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
Just read your posts. It's nice to have been of help. Pls, am sorry to say it....I dont like leaving my personal data online. Ask any question here, I will try to answer it. Also, others might benefit. Let's share it here. Am sorry if you are offended.

Pls do understand. Thank you
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by zeestone99(m): 7:58pm On Nov 13, 2013
Pls ify4eva I would like to knw abt d aviation mechanical engineering and not the avionics part... Wch do u tink is better, and will having a bsc giv u an edge to d duration of the course
Thnk u
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 1:19am On Nov 14, 2013
@zeestone99: It is called Airframe & Power Plant(A&P). If you have B.Sc,HND,etc. you will do what is called Abridged Airframe and Power plant(AAP) that is if you are going to NCAT, Zaria. but the truth is that apart from Flying and may be Standard Flight Operations(Flight Dispatchers), aviation jobs are NOT easy to come by. On Nairaland people have differing opinions, but on this, I know what Am talking about.

It will take you about 70 weeks(with B.Sc/HND in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering ONLY-they are very discriminatory[strict]). If you are coming with SSC or ND it will take you 120 weeks(Airframe & Power Plant(A &P)(aviation trainings are in weeks). The course and certificate is recognised the world-over. Fees now should be about 3 million naira.
But if you are LUCKY to get the job! you will NEVER EVER regret being in Aviation.

I will also suggest you do rotary wing(Helicopter). They have better opportunities and I think earn higher. I have a lot of friends in ANY helicopter hiring/flying company in Nigeria so I have a very good idea of their pay.

Fixed-wing engineers don't find it easy coz we do not have functional local carriers. Those we have all have foreign technical partners.
NCAA, AIB and Airlines do employ/sponsor people. Be checking adverts from AERO, Bristow, Arik(mostly pilots).

Avionics is still good(often they function as Flight Engineers,etc) but you do not have Flight Engineers on-board Domestic flights and the international flights are dominated by foreign carriers. Arik would rather have a retiree on contract or foreigner with "enough" type-rating as its flight engineer. Basically, IMO, A & P has better chances. But life is a personal choice Bro!

I hope it helps a bit.
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by achu442(m): 7:12am On Nov 15, 2013
Ok..where is the cheapest place a Nigerian can study to be a pilot in the world?I mean full training including instrument ratings,flight instructor,PPL etc.
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by zeestone99(m): 11:36am On Nov 18, 2013
Idy4eva thnks for d info
Please can you shed more light on Hw to go about rotary wing(Helicopter).... Thnks waiting for ur reply
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by Nobody: 1:24pm On Nov 19, 2013
azyaq: Season greeting, I have been looking for where i can study Telecom Aviation or Fiber Optic in Lagos, can anybody furnish me with this information. Thanx
it depends but i wil recommend
Nigerian College of Aviation, Zaria
Airforce Institute of Technology, Kaduna

google their websites
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by zeestone99(m): 9:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
Idy4eva Plz reach me on zeestone99@gmail.com
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 9:41am On Nov 22, 2013
@zeestone99, just read ur post. As much as I dont really like "personal" chats but I appreciate ur eagerness. Am a bit busy now. will send you the basic info you need including phone numbers that can help you.

As posted by someone,AFIT,Kaduna may offer somethg but i "think" there may be a lot of restrictions for civilians for security reasons. Am not saying they are not good. I have not visited their facilities yet to know their equipment and faculty(staff). I assume they shd be good.

i will keep you posted. Give me a little time.

Wishing you a 1daful day. Be good.
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by zeestone99(m): 8:54pm On Nov 22, 2013
Thnks Idy4eva ur reply means a lot
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by balash(m): 2:01pm On Nov 23, 2013
Please bro? Someone needs an help through your very important answer's! He said he would like to be a pilot CPL but the fee in Zaria is 9 or 10million? So he said I shuld ask plz? What very cheap course can be studied in Zaria. That is pilot related and its also lucrative whereby with the certificate he can start working in the airport and earn salaries and save for the anticipation's of training as a pilot when his savings is complete on his 10million target then he goes back for his CPL licence...please bro! Hope u understand me
idy4eva: Physics, Geography, Maths, General paper...something like being able to write the Nigerian national Anthem both stanzas and the Pledge.
Aviation Minister,etc. Quite minor if you are an average student you should make it.

Graduates and School certificate (SSC)holders kind of do same tests but graduates are often given preference in admission while Secondary school leavers are preferred pilots coz graduates often as "WHY"? and it is "DANGEROUS" in flying. It reflect a tendency to 'experiment'.

You MUST pass you Medicals with FAR ABOVE average. If you use glasses....hmmmmm you MAY not make it.

Just give your best. DONT EVER imagine to cut conners pls. it is NOT obtainable even if your father is the President you can as Suntai(Gov. of Taraba State he did his PPL 2009-2010).
If you fail a test,you resit. If you fail resit you are gone and no refunds. No jokes bro!

I hope it helps.
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 3:16pm On Nov 24, 2013
@Zeestone99, hey bro/sis, pls am not ignoring you. I am not home yet maybe tomorrow. I do not have access to the e-mail address I will use in sending you the data you need. The data you need will contain sensitive info including pple's(VIPs) phone numbers so I can not drop it in a public forum like this. Pls give me a little time. Thx.

@balash, there is no course that is related to Flying. tell the person to go and study Standard Flight Operations(SFO). the person MUST be a graduate of numerical sciences, Physics or other highly mathematical related sciences(but s/he can stl give it a try if a graduate of Sciences).

It shd be abt 24weeks. it is a VERY TEDIOUS course. if u make any mistake you WILL FAIL. No jokes. If you pass, you shd get a job before leaving the school or within a month.

SFO are employed as Flight Dispatchers. I dont want to dwell on their functions. but in flights/aircraft ops, after Pilot is Dispatcher. their salaries are jaw-dropping. I dont want to mention it. but trust me, you will not envy most telecoms,bankers,etc and even some oil-boys.

They are quite few, and exams quite tough(sometimes 40 get admitted, 30 write part I, 8 pass out and 4 get Licence).

Dont be scared. if you are serious you will pass. NCAT,Zaria has a lot of goodies to offer so a lot of pple go for the goodies and other beautiful things in Samaru,Paladan, Kongo,Wusasa,etc and miss their goals.

Fees shd be maybe 800k but not too sure. but, if need be, I can get it for you.

I hope this help. Pls do ur personal research too. My opnion might be subjective though I try to be as objective as possible coz we are all young people.

I wish you the very best. Hope we meet at the top someday soon
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 3:31pm On Nov 24, 2013
@Zeestone99, hey bro/sis, pls am not ignoring you. I am not home yet maybe tomorrow. I do not have access to the e-mail address I will use in sending you the data you need. The data you need will contain sensitive info including pple's(VIPs) phone numbers so I can not drop it in a public forum like this. Pls give me a little time. Thx.

@balash, there is no course that is related to Flying. tell the person to go and study Standard Flight Operations(SFO). the person MUST be a graduate of numerical sciences, Physics or other highly mathematical related sciences(but s/he can stl give it a try if a graduate of Sciences).

It shd be abt 24weeks. it is a VERY TEDIOUS course. if u make any mistake you WILL FAIL. No jokes. If you pass, you shd get a job before leaving the school or within a month.

SFO are employed as Flight Dispatchers. I dont want to dwell on their functions. but in flights/aircraft ops, after Pilot is Dispatcher. their salaries are jaw-dropping. I dont want to mention it. but trust me, you will not envy most telecoms,bankers,etc and even some oil-boys.

They are quite few, and exams quite tough(sometimes 40 get admitted, 30 write part I, 8 pass out and 4 get Licence).

Dont be scared. if you are serious you will pass. NCAT,Zaria has a lot of goodies to offer so a lot of pple go for the goodies and other beautiful things in Samaru,Paladan, Kongo,Wusasa,etc and miss their goals.

Fees shd be maybe 800k but not too sure. but, if need be, I can get it for you.

I hope this help. Pls do ur personal research too. My opnion might be subjective though I try to be as objective as possible coz we are all young people.

I wish you the very best. Hope we meet at the top someday soon.

1 Like

Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by zeestone99(m): 12:56am On Nov 26, 2013
Thnks Idy4eva wish u ve a Luvly day ahead... Will b waiting for ur mail
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 4:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
@zeestone99, you've got a mail.

Keep me posted.
Wishing you the very best
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by balash(m): 11:52pm On Nov 28, 2013
Thank you as always bro! You have always been helpful...I searched online and I saw another helpful organisation also traiNing airline flight dispatcher's. !! Its just 4000$ and its in U.S.A...including paying some fee's and i-20 would be sent down and I would use that in processing of my visa and stuffs would only want to ask what do u feel about it? And hope its the same course u mentioned earlier on? But this one dint specialise on ur qualification's as studying of science related course's ? Is it a must that I must use a bsc in sciencee related course??
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 10:17am On Nov 29, 2013
@balash, good day.
$4000 is approx 600k. and it is not a far-cry from NCAT's approx 800k(this includes ur feeding anyway).. consider filght ticket and living cost in the US

Though I believe US training may give you more opportunities but do ur search to make sure the sch runs TRAIN AIR curriculum(the set stds for ALL Aviation Training Organisations(ATO) in the world) and that you will be Licenced by FAA(US aviation regulator).

If you live in Lag or ABJ, go to US Embassy and inquire abt the school. 600k no be beans o!

The decision is urs. As for entry qualification, US believe that every intelligent person can swap fields and is trainable. i was not FIXED on NCAT qualification. I used "MAY". You can still fnd out from them(NCAT).

Keep me posted. wishing you a happy day.
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by zeestone99(m): 12:19pm On Nov 29, 2013
Hello Idy4eva I got ur mail thnk u.. I ve made up my mind on airframe n power plant or rotary wings helicopter, do Ncat zaria ve any training for d rotary wing helicopter... If there is any oda tin or advice u wnt me to knw pls drop it... Thnks so much
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by balash(m): 5:25pm On Nov 29, 2013
Airline Dispatchers are the ground equivalent to the Airline Captain. Captain and Dispatcher exercise joint decision making and shared authority during the airline flight operation. The FAA believes in the "two heads are better than one" concept. In order to exercise this shared decision making, the Dispatcher must be equally knowledgeable as the Captain in aviation and aeronautics. The FAA Aircraft Dispatcher license (held by the Airline Dispatcher) is required to do the job. Airline Flight Dispatcher Training Center offers a Five (5) Week FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certificate Course. This is the shortest approved program in the country.

Thats what I saw as the description? I hope am on right track? Yea I knw Zaria is cheaper but licence from U.S is better than Nigeria's? And d diff aint that much! Wha u feel bro
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by seangy4konji: 9:03am On Nov 30, 2013
following this tread also...i saw a flight despatch training school also and its $4250.i guess its the same bassash was talking about...Is this a good course to follow up on?
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 11:07am On Nov 30, 2013
@zeestone99 hey bro/sis... you have the most important contacts that you need as far as that school is concern. NCAT, Zaria offers rotary wing training(their rotary wing is fused(merged)both A & P and Avionics Line Mtce such that ONE personnel can fix an helicopter both mechanically and electrically/electronically just like being Mechanic and Auto electrician).

I will not force my opinion on you coz fate has different things for us. Fixed-wing is good. Rotary wing is good but consider the job market and following you passion and the inner voice in you.
I still wish you the very best coz I know if you work hard and trust whom/what ever you believe in, we will meet at the top. I believe I have been reasonably objective with information so as to help you make and informed decision.

@balash, if you read my posts very well, I told you Standard Flight Operation(SFO) is otherwise call Flight Dispatchers. And that in Airline/aircraft ops, after Pilot is the Dispatcher.

Licence from US and Nigeria are the SAME coz they are regulated by an independent organ ICAO. As I had posted earlier, you MAY have better opportunities for schooling in the US bcoz of more Airline operators in the US,etc. All I said previously was please make sure the school you are going to in the US is accredited for the SPECIFIC course by FAA and TRAIN AIR, else you might just be wasting your time and resources coz you may not be licenced. You can also find out the actual cost of the training in Zaria.

I wish you the very best.

1 Like

Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by zeestone99(m): 12:00pm On Nov 30, 2013
Thnk u Idy4eva... I rili appreciate
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by balash(m): 4:52am On Dec 01, 2013
FAA Approved through the Dallas/Fort Worth FAA Flight Standards District Office......This is what I saw..
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by idy4eva: 7:41am On Dec 01, 2013
@zeestone, you are welcome. keep me posted. if you have challenges post it here coz u,ll get a faster feedback.

You are polite in your approach and that's a plus for you. I wll try as much as I can to assist you even in the admission process at NCAT. When you have done ur part, after ur test and interview. Tell me, I will give you the Registrar's number and reveal my ID. Have a wonderful day.

@balash, morning. have you seen "Govt. Approved" written on school sign boards in Nigeria where the school does not have ANY decent building? Am not trying to say ur school is not approved pls. Go to US Embassy and find out. I know the Aviation school in Oklahoma but it does NOT mean it is the ONLY one. Just be sure of where you are going to pls.

I would have given you real life event/example that happened to engineers sponsored by the Nig. Govt. the school they went to in the US but if I start, anybody in Aviation from GL 14 may know me and it is not good. I will be violating oath of secrecy.

Make sure the school is ACCREDITED. You can post the name of the school here, I might help you thru some of my contacts.

Have a great day. Are u ready we meet at the top soon?
Re: Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos by balash(m): 6:44am On Dec 02, 2013
iFOD provides only one type of training:  FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certification. We train our students intensively and get them hired with airlines and aviation related industries......The name is 'IFOD' - Institute of Flight operation's and dispatch Dallas Fort

(1) (2) (Reply)

National Identity Management Commission- Employment And Pay Structure / Is Marketing The Most Unstable And Insecure Job? / My Boss Sits Recklessly @ Work!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.