Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,901 members, 7,828,179 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? (19003 Views)

Househelp Cuts Off Baby's Hand (Graphic Pics) / Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. / How Well Do You Know Or Trust Your Househelp(s)/nanny (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by nyabingi(m): 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2013
what of those maids that want to #takeover from madam?
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by dridowu: 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2013
I 8 child abuse
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Layolaw(f): 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2013
illitrate: nyash her when my wife no dey house tongue
l pity you, your children 'll reap from your misfortune

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Pretyangel25(f): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2013
I dont need a maid

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Jessigurl(f): 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2013
in the first place, i'd never go for a househelp no matter wht. i'd rather live with my niece or nephew, while he/she helps me look after my kids, he/she would stil be schooling.
majority of maids of these days are agents of satan, they com in human form to destroy a family. they iniciate ur children in ur absence and most tyms the put the family in crisis.
if my husband insists we bring one, i'd still treat him/her d same way i treat my own kids cos he/she is human. shikinah!!!
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by bebe2(f): 3:06pm On Sep 09, 2013
All d guys who think dis is a joking matter and are making jokes about sleeping wit their maids, keep it up. Just remember KARMA is a bi-tch.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by DEGREE2466(m): 3:08pm On Sep 09, 2013
Do to others what u would like them do to you --- AGREED.

But the truth remains that no matter how good you treat another person's child, they will never appreciate you like their biological parents.

I will treat them like my children is well said than done.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Amhappy(f): 3:08pm On Sep 09, 2013
Most people maltreat their maids and house helps. Lagos residents especially have this maltreatment mentality. I have a friend who served as a house help to a fellow woman in exchange for a university degree. This madam will spill her blood just to make sure every kobo put in her university Education is paid for. But meanwhile this Madam lost her father at an early age and Somebody i know very well trained her. She neva served this man or his family. Her school fees were paid while she lives with her family. But now she is in a position and cannot reciprocate the favour. Only God will judge wickedness.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2013
bebe2: most homes in Nigeria have maids or house help, you watch in movies how they are treated. is dis a movie thing or do people actually treat their maids badly?

Its not a Movie thing, its real life happenings. If you want to spot the difference between a Families children and their househelp in a public place like a church, look at the child that is poorly dressed, looks scruny, carrying all the baggages, looks the least happy and lagging behind. Thats the Househelp in the family.

bebe2: my question is if u have or if you were to have a maid which of this would apply to you,

1. What's the minimum age you would accept for a maid,

21 years of age.. She|He must not be dependent on me for anything other than their basic salary. They can be live in, but in the boys Quarters otherwise they would be on a 6am - 8pm work time schedule.

bebe2: 2. They would serve you food on the dining, while you and your kids sit to eat, they would go eat theirs in the kitchen.

Yes! They would serve my family food in the general area and where they sit to eat theirs is none of my business. But I'm sure they would be comfortable seeing as I would have a proper Table & Chair in my kitchen.

bebe2: 3. Your 12 yr old maid washes your 12yr old daughters clothes,

Irrespective of the age of my maid (which I have already said would not be younger than 21), My kids would start washing their underwears from the age of 6 - 7. By 12 they would be washing their cotton wears. By 15, jeans & other heavier items. by 18.. They can use the washing machine that has always been there.

bebe2: 4. Your kids go to a different school to your maid,

I grew up with our maids and extended families going to different schools from us. Although they didnt attend bad schools (as in public schools), but I dont intend to live my life like that. I shall not be responsible for the education of any of my househelps except their university education which would be at my sole discretion. All househelps would work for me solely on a salary basis. #Period. Should I ever take in any extended family member, best believe that they would enjoy ALMOST the same priviledges as my kids. Emphasis on almost because I am human and i am subconciously going to love my kids more than I would any other persons kid.

bebe2: 5. Your kids do extra lectures after school and your maid stays in the kitchen cooking.

Yes! And thats because my maid wouldnt be a juvenile.

bebe2: 6. after dinner all the family sit together watching tv and having a laugh but the maid either sits in the kitchen to while away time or sits in her room by herself.

Erm... Yes! I intend to provide a small screen Television for the househelps either in the Kitchen or their room, simply because I know how boring it gets for them after they are done with their chores. But if they want to join the family in the living room for TV, they are free.

bebe2: point of this post is, are there better ways of handling these scenarios, thereby making it fair on your family, the maid and humanity in general.

I hope I have been able to answer your questions properly..

[b]SIDE NOTE::Many of us grew up in houses where the maids in question were even extended family members from poor relatives. In most cases, the issue of different schools arose because some of these kids come from remote villages with almost no prior educational background thus making gaining admission into school rather difficult. In my case, my mum use to tutor all of us after school, but I disagree with how my mum tutored some of these m relatives because she had little patience with them. My mum would flog all of us (no favoritisms) if we did bad, but these relatives got more floggings because they failed more than we did. However, everyone who passed through my house left better than they entered. With regards to dressing, we all dressed alike. Sometimes in uniforms sef. These extended family members were not maids, but did do chores around the house. We also did do chores ourselves.

So its some of these experiences that have made me say a big NO to child maids, live-in maids and extended family living with me..

It is ALMOST impossible for anybody to love another persons child as they love their own.. You may not set out to be intentionally mean to the child, but thats just the way its always is..
[/b]

10 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Kairoseki77: 3:10pm On Sep 09, 2013
Boll2010: I cook 4 my maid! Wash her cloths! Tak her to skul! buy cloths bath her# sumbdy tel me y I shldnt fu!ck her grin grin am only reapn whr I sowed grin

undecided undecided undecided

Yerima, you should'nt be on Nairaland.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Enegod(m): 3:14pm On Sep 09, 2013
russianmob27: i remember when i was 17, our housemaid haf big yansh and i always wanted to yansh that big yansh but i am happy that when mummy and daddy is not around, i c.um to her and she c.um to me and we came together cool
grin grin

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by nekaa(f): 3:14pm On Sep 09, 2013
Becos she does all the work doesn't mean she is void of feelings so I will treat as everybody with feelings should be treated...

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by AyBelly: 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2013
illitrate: nyash her when my wife no dey house tongue
May your device rot, with maggots dropping out instead of semen!!! *hisses*
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 09, 2013
of course wat dyu expect as pple's comment here?? 'Oh i treat her nice and gud like my kids' mtchew.....Story story..no be naija we dey. We never had house maids anyway

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 09, 2013
Bebe2 thanks for this ur thread,I quarrel with my ex because of this. She can't do anything when I asked her we will do it by d time we get married,she said househelp. From that moment I knew am going to dump her.
For me the way houseboys or girls are treated in naija ,I hate it.Am nt going to hv house boy or girl so ladies take note.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by xynerise: 3:33pm On Sep 09, 2013
I have corporate maids and I treat them corporately
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by adisa204(m): 3:34pm On Sep 09, 2013
It is so sad how Nigerians treat maids.I work at the cinemas let me give you an example,you take your kids to the cinemas alongside your maid,you buy movie tickets for your children and ask at the counter if you are to buy for the maid,because she does not understand what they are saying.So because you are told yes you rather let he/ she stay outside while your kids watch a movie of 1hour 45minutes,and you don't want this maid to poison your kids food when you get home!!!
Naija peeps I'm telling you 95out of 100 do this I'm saying.well you go to church and let your maids wear bathroom slippers to church,HABA!!,or your rather not even take them to church with the excuse of,-the car is filled up.
Please we should all change our mentality towards treating your maid.
THANKS.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Boll2010: 3:37pm On Sep 09, 2013
herbeytv:

Why not JTF or OPC ?
dos guys are dangerous! Dey could hurt her!.......I wil trit her wit care u knw spread peace al arnd#i wnt nyansh her trust me grin
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:39pm On Sep 09, 2013
adisa204: It is so sad how Nigerians treat maids.I work at the cinemas let me give you an example,you take your kids to the cinemas alongside your maid,you buy movie tickets for your children and ask at the counter if you are to buy for the maid,because she does not understand what they are saying.So because you are told yes you rather let he/ she stay outside while your kids watch a movie of 1hour 45minutes,and you don't want this maid to poison your kids food when you get home!!!
Naija peeps I'm telling you 95out of 100 do this I'm saying.well you go to church and let your maids wear bathroom slippers to church,HABA!!,or your rather not even take them to church with the excuse of,-the car is filled up.
THANKS.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by JaaizTech: 3:39pm On Sep 09, 2013
bebe2: All d guys who think dis is a joking matter and are making jokes about sleeping wit their maids, keep it up. Just remember KARMA is a bi-tch.

Oh!, you think they are joking This is what happens to many maids of full age. It is not a joke, but a reflection of the reality.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Boll2010: 3:40pm On Sep 09, 2013
bebe2: All d guys who think dis is a joking matter and are making jokes about sleeping wit their maids, keep it up. Just remember KARMA is a bi-tch.
karma is a bit!ch den I'm blowin kisses to her daughter grin
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by mbulela: 3:45pm On Sep 09, 2013
i treat them same way i expect to be treated if i was a maid. With respect and dignity.
I pay for her to learn a trade.
She can seat on the dinning if she so pleases but she does not do so to have her meals. She seats there when we all pray together in the morning.
Our maids must be adults. I don't do that kiddies thing. We once had a girl of around 12 years as a maid (when we had no kids),the drama was too much.
There are nasty maids but i refuse to go to hell because of a maid,i refuse to return their nastiness to them.If you can't cope, send them away.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Boll2010: 3:45pm On Sep 09, 2013
Kairoseki77:

undecided undecided undecided

Yerima, you should'nt be on Nairaland.
wtf is yerima! Ooh! Owner of d young shal grow ministry! HIs a close pal!...... Bt am I wrng#dos maid are called. TOP UP#madam no gree do frogg naa#n I knw 1 go bring one woman come out of jealous mak she go pour acid! Haba ! I tink I helped her enuf by shaggn housemate! grin
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by mbulela: 3:49pm On Sep 09, 2013
adisa204: It is so sad how Nigerians treat maids.I work at the cinemas let me give you an example,you take your kids to the cinemas alongside your maid,you buy movie tickets for your children and ask at the counter if you are to buy for the maid,because she does not understand what they are saying.So because you are told yes you rather let he/ she stay outside while your kids watch a movie of 1hour 45minutes,and you don't want this maid to poison your kids food when you get home!!!
THANKS.
no mind them. when the girl poison their kids or rape their sons they will be claiming witchcraft.
I struggle to understand some peeps. Maids will still misbehave as some of them are too clueless to appreciate goodness. But how do some madams/ogas sleep at night with the kind of wickedness you described?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Krisgift(f): 3:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
Lilaex: Well we hav a femal ause help so I BLEEP her wen ever I want or get the urge.
Rapi$t
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by claremont(m): 3:55pm On Sep 09, 2013
I remember when I was a kid and I saw 'standing breas/ts' for the very first time, they belonged to our househelp who for some reason was always parading herself braless. That image has been forever etched inside my head! grin

I'm sure most guys who have mature househelp always have it on the back of their mind that sooner very soon. . .

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Boll2010: 3:57pm On Sep 09, 2013
claremont: I remember when I was a kid and I saw 'standing breas/ts' for the very first time, they belonged to our househelp who for some reason was always parading herself braless. That image has been forever etched inside my head! grin
u knw pour ur akamu 4 her body scata scata!
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by olusolaj(m): 4:00pm On Sep 09, 2013
greatgod2012: The question that always come to my mind each time maid matters are raised is " Are these set of people not human beings? Are they created by a God different from the one who created us? Are they not born the way we are born? Are they not conceived the way we are conceived?
Why now is all these differences in their treatment?
As far as I'm concerned, I don't even like using the name maid, they have their names ke, abi? Some people even go to the extent of not addressing them by their names, that is very bad.

Anyone that has a maid or more should be able to treat them the way they would want their children treated.
Anyone who doesn't treat their maids with respect is inviting the wrath of God their creator on themselves.
And above all, whatever we sow is what we are going to reap, but the unfortunate part is that our kids also reap part of these things. So we need to be careful.
May God help us all.

debrief08: My Views:

1. Don't employ a child, let children have their childhood, you want to "Help" put the child on schoolarship and let them grow in their own homes, getting a child to work for you in return for food, used clothes and cheap schools is not helping.

2. Set work hours, no maid should work 24/7 have a time for the maid to work and time when you take over from her or him.

3. Pay a decent and minimum wage: it is not slavery, this person is offering a service you don't do yourself so pay a fair wage and good conditions of service same way you expect good working conditions from your boss.

4. You don't own them, they work for you but they have their own private lives to live as long as it doesn't compromise the welfare and security of your own family. Your employer may monitor you to ensure that you don't leak company secrets, and in services like Police and SSS, your spouse may be checked to avoid penetration but beyond that your employer doesn't check on your movements 24/7 and decides for you if you should date or not, same respect should be accorded to MATURE maids. They are not your property.

5. Keep the Mesiah complex to your self, you are not their saviour, even if you have given them a better life you are just an instrument, even you at one point in your life someone gave you a chance and an opportunity, I doubt you endlessly have to worship that person as we expect from our maids, and make statements like "when she came she was so thin and smelling, see her now" they are humans not dogs.
Do unto others what you want others to do to you

I love you words but the question is that ''CAN WE PRACTISE WHAT WE PREACH?''
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2013
We've never had a househelp

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by beejaay: 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2013
debrief08: My Views:

1. Don't employ a child, let children have their childhood, you want to "Help" put the child on schoolarship and let them grow in their own homes, getting a child to work for you in return for food, used clothes and cheap schools is not helping.

this is the part that always get me high...u wanna help them? help them in their home and if need another child go to an orphanage and adopt

so fvking tired of the chest beating syndrome ""u are not grateful..i cloth u,shelter u,bath u,school u,waec u, neco u cheesy""

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by beejaay: 4:15pm On Sep 09, 2013
olusolaj:

i love you words but the queation is that''CAN WE PRACTISE WHAT WE PREACH''
xtremely easy to practice.
why cnt a 12yrs old girl wash her own cloth?
give birth to the number of child u are willing to sacrifice for and if u no cnt sacrifice then dont give birth abi na by force
as for me anywhere i c a child being used as a slave all in the name of maid, i will personally walk into that house and challenge the occupant (i was a victim)
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Abbey2sam(m): 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2013
Its easier said than done, believe me I've trekked down that road.............

I practically became a house boy for my aunty and her husband with their 4 kids, and I went to a different school(public)

She promised my mom to take good care of me( it was easier for her to promised).........

For seven years I cried every day............

What am I trying to say, its easier said than done.............

But I must say that it made me see life in a different perspective, it made me a better person, but I learnt them in a bitter way.....

it makes me cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Moment A Man Shed Tears Of Joy As His Wife Praised Him (Video) / Man Pens Tribute To His Wife Who Died 16 Days After She Suffered A Stillbirth / Man Surprises His Wife With A Car As Valentine Gift (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.