Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,010 members, 7,814,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito (12950 Views)

Scientists Find Black Hole Spewing Iron, Nickel In Powerful Jets / Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia / Scientists Find "God" Particle! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 10, 2013
SCIENTISTS have found chemicals in skin that makes humans "invisible" to mosquitoes.

Latest findings may also explain why the blood-sucking insect finds some people tastier than others.

Health experts believe the human "invisibility cloak'' could be the holy grail in the fight against deadly mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and dengue fever.

Researchers found of the hundreds of different compounds in human skin one group of chemicals acts as a repellent to mask human smell from the insects.

By blocking the mosquito's ability to smell potential targets, it helps make some humans "invisible'' to the insect.

The new findings were made public by Dr Ulrich Bernier who heads a research team at the United States Department of Agriculture.

Dr Bernier, who also works for US military on how to protect troops from disease-carrying insects, is investigating why repellents like Deet are becoming less effective.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

He told how a hand sprayed with the human compound and put in a tank of mosquitos was left untouched.

Mosquito expert Dr Nigel Beebe, of the University of Queensland and CSIRO, said the research follows anecdotal stories of people who "actually repel mosquitoes".

"Mosquitoes can determine subtle differences in smell, that is why with a couple in bed only one might get bitten.

"The body secrets oils, it gives people a certain smell, everyone has a different fingerprint of a smell.

"That explains why some people are more tasty to mosquitoes than others.''

He said the naturally-occurring repellent was a potential holy grail to protect against diseases like malaria, chikungunya and the latest dengue fever outbreak in north Queensland.

But it was likely still many years off the production line as a lotion or spray, he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/scientists-find-skin-chemicals-act-as-invisibility-cloak-which-protects-some-people-from-mozzies/story-fnii5v70-1226716435561

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by iykemoney90(m): 4:32pm On Sep 10, 2013
grin ghost mode

7 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by homesteady(m): 3:13pm On Sep 12, 2013
Abeg where my water pia pia?? gringrin

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Memyselfu2009(m): 3:13pm On Sep 12, 2013
Emmmm that's a good innovation mosquito no the let me rest
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 12, 2013
No wonder my wife always complains about mosquito bites and i have none at all, better stop donating my blood to LUTH and start loading it in Spray cans.. let me talk to CONOIL for bizness

10 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by cacius: 3:15pm On Sep 12, 2013
How possible is that?
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by ndlife: 3:15pm On Sep 12, 2013
Them no go see me.
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by mikeeze(m): 3:16pm On Sep 12, 2013
I didn't learn anything from this post *exists while thinking END....*

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by 2babakizzy: 3:17pm On Sep 12, 2013
I pray it works hia in 9ja
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 12, 2013
cacius: How possible is that?
MOSQUITOR NET,MOSQUITO COIL,ANTI MOSQITO CREAM AND NOISE.
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by olabamiji09(m): 3:19pm On Sep 12, 2013
So there wouldnt food for mosquito again abiiiiii . .. . Selfishnessssss. End time tinz ;DSo there wouldnt food for mosquito again abiiiiii . .. . Selfishnessssss. End time tinz
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:20pm On Sep 12, 2013
The chemical substance ll be called 'Ghost mode'.
You go fear research.
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by IAMBREEZY: 3:20pm On Sep 12, 2013
Wow that's good
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 12, 2013
voltron: No wonder my wife always complains about mosquito bites and i have none at all, better stop donating my blood to LUTH and start loading it in Spray cans.. let me talk to CONOIL for bizness
come my area make we see wether yhu go so survive d mosquito bites.

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Ddonoflife(m): 3:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
choi notin we no go hear for dis world...vewi soon wwe go dey immune to mosquito bite...
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by badmeat(m): 3:23pm On Sep 12, 2013
grin
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by royale442(m): 3:24pm On Sep 12, 2013
It won't work in africa oh. Mosquitoes here are so talented that they can detect whether the blood is hiv/AIDS positive talkless of this.

7 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by ACM10: 3:24pm On Sep 12, 2013
I need that xcal sharp sharp. grin
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by dieold: 3:25pm On Sep 12, 2013
the whites will neva seize to amaze me. They even got a mosquito expert! What we have here are criminals everywhere.
Some blood are more tasty than others huh, no wonder my neighbour doesnt complain of mosquito bite...BAD BLOOD.
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Absugardaddy(m): 3:26pm On Sep 12, 2013
d gods r wise
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by iamswizz(m): 3:28pm On Sep 12, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Boss13: 3:31pm On Sep 12, 2013
Me I know for sure that mosquitoes love fair babes. Because all my girl friends are very fair and when they are with me, mosquitoes no dey remember me again. Na dem they dey rush go meet. If I wan stay with black babe, I must get insecticide, else I go hear am for night.

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by petkoffDrake(m): 3:32pm On Sep 12, 2013
Hmmm nawa ooo. End time things... Hmm sad[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by donfemzy: 3:36pm On Sep 12, 2013
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by babslamin: 3:43pm On Sep 12, 2013
Hmm... Ghost mode activated

7 Likes

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by leverage12(m): 3:45pm On Sep 12, 2013
voltron: No wonder my wife always complains about mosquito bites and i have none at all, better stop donating my blood to LUTH and start loading it in Spray cans.. let me talk to CONOIL for bizness
lol
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Brimmie(m): 3:46pm On Sep 12, 2013
[size=16]Ds Cant Work On Nigerian Mosquitoes! Most Especially Those At Gege, Ibadan!

The Hunt With Headlamp ON! undecided undecided NDI ARA!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 12, 2013
Kai, that thing no dey my body o. Mosquito no dey use eye see me.
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 12, 2013
This post has refused to hide.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by phtemie(m): 3:51pm On Sep 12, 2013
Lol..mosquito expert..
Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by Judas2013: 3:51pm On Sep 12, 2013
any bible quote from the christians?

our ppl are too religious....they are still waiting for jesus to come while the white man is moving forward

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito by jahbiz: 3:53pm On Sep 12, 2013
And some intelligent nigerians have discovered a sure way of laundering Naira abroad without being caught (cashless policy). 9ja!

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Use My Laptop As A TV, And Also Connect It With Gotv? / Photo:10 Shoking Photo Of Hybrid Creature / Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.