Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,356 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections (5933 Views)

APC, APGA, Strange Parties To Ijaw People —alamieyeseigha / We'll Kill 20 For Each Police Life Lost During Elections-AIG Mbu / Nigeria Should Allow Religious Parties To Participate In Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 11, 2013
The Independent National Electoral Commission has said that it de-registered some political parties in the country to avoid confusion during elections.

The Resident Electoral Commissioner in Ekiti State, Alhaji Haliru Pai, made this known during a stakeholders meeting and the REC’s working visit to Efon Local Government Area of the state on Tuesday.

Pai, who emphasised the need for stakeholders to partner INEC to ensure free, fair and credible elections in 2014, said the commission was empowered by the Electoral Act to de-register any political party which did not win any elective position.

He said, “INEC is empowered by the Electoral Act to de-register political parties that are causing confusion in our electioneering. In Ekiti State Central Senatorial District to be precise, a court ordered re-election because some political parties that were hardly known said election should be cancelled because their names were not on the ballot paper.

“The court cancelled the election as a result of that. It is on that basis that INEC is de-registering some political parties that did not win any elective office.

“Section 70, sub-section 8 and 5 and Section 78, 7 empowers INEC to deregister some parties. With this, ballot papers would be clearer to voters. They will help voters to identify the political parties they want to vote for. As it is, there are acronyms that are almost the same on the ballot papers. You will see AC, ACN, PDP, PPM, etc on them.

“If your party does not win presidential, governorship, national or state assembly seat, it will be deregistered. It means you are not there for anybody. Instead of being there and causing confusion, such party is better removed.”

Assuring the public of the commission’s readiness to ensure free and fair election in the state, the REC said, “In fulfilment of our mandate as an unbiased electoral umpire, INEC is ensuring that all aspects of election are firmed up. This, we shall do by providing a levelled playing field for free, fair, credible and internationally-recognised election.

“The essence of this working visit is clearly defined. Without the stakeholders, INEC cannot carry out the roles that are given to it by the constitution.

“Every stakeholder has its roles without which the INEC job would not run smoothly. We are to listen to all of you and ensure that we inculcate good voting habit in the electorate.”

He advised politicians against inciting the youth during electioneering.

Pai said, “We notice that politicians sometimes negatively engage the youth to cause violence. This should no longer be happening. It is high time we said no to misleading of the youth.

“When you play the game according to the rule, litigation would no longer be a common feature after elections.

“The Electoral Officer in Efon LGA, Emmanuel Adedipe, said, “As contained in part 1 section 2 of the Electoral Act 2010 and as amended, the concept of voter education is a statutory mandate of INEC.

“The commission will engender continuous dialogue and consultation and re-awaken the public on their primary roles,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/why-we-deregistered-some-parties-inec/

Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 11, 2013
@mods, front page pls.
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by LMAyedun(m): 8:09am On Sep 11, 2013
APC & PDP.
A two party system will just be the best for this Country.
But greed & selfish interest won't let that work in Nigeria.
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 11, 2013
Selfishness is the main reason why there are so many parties in Nigeria.

Everybody wants to ascend the political/power seats cos of selfish reasons.
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by mannobi(m): 8:24am On Sep 11, 2013
If i have my wish i will deregister Pdp, but since i cant, i will just port to Apc. Two party system will be ok for naija
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Nobody: 8:26am On Sep 11, 2013
jega pls help de-register PDP cos it's dead!!

2 Likes

Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by abatajjvii: 9:43am On Sep 11, 2013
mannobi: If i have my wish i will deregister Pdp, but since i cant, i will just port to Apc. Two party system will be ok for naija
L.M Ayedun..:
APC & PDP.
A two party system will just be the best for this Country.
But greed & selfish interest won't let that work in Nigeria.
Yungwizzzy: jega pls help de-register PDP cos it's dead!!
all said and good

but can Jega help de-register JEG and madam Patience the grammarian grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Lilimax(f): 9:47am On Sep 11, 2013
Which one is still alive?
Is it the Association of Political Criminals lipsrsealed or the Amala Peoples Congress shocked
I jump una pass grin grin?

2 Likes

Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by fitzmayowa: 9:54am On Sep 11, 2013
When me am planning to float my own political party...End Time Things Political Party (ETTPP) grin
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by wellmax(m): 9:55am On Sep 11, 2013
Lilimax:
Which one is still alive?
Is it the Association of Political Criminals lipsrsealed or the Amala Peoples Congress shocked
I jump una pass grin grin?

One word, Childishness.

1 Like

Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by speeder(m): 9:55am On Sep 11, 2013
Aboki, use that my change give me pure water.
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by braine(m): 9:57am On Sep 11, 2013
There shouldn't even be more than two parties!
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Jaywilzee(m): 10:01am On Sep 11, 2013
Hahaha.........so many political parties have similar acronymz...chai.......de-register as many as u can oooo.....
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Lilimax(f): 10:02am On Sep 11, 2013
wellmax:

One word, Childishness.
In your mind...but I was once a child grinundecided?
Are you offended
why?
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by paulokougha: 10:03am On Sep 11, 2013
Jega should have included the old P.D.P.
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by BabaEleko(m): 10:11am On Sep 11, 2013
Nigeria Jega Jega!!!
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 11, 2013
grin
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by mediachirps(m): 10:16am On Sep 11, 2013
nairaland gradually turning to newsland, where Nigerian politics is order of the day.
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 11, 2013
Finally finally! My post made front page! Feeling excited, dem go hear 4 my church on sunday. Thanksgiving tinz.
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by ayusco85(m): 10:26am On Sep 11, 2013
Bad news cry. I was thinking of registering my own new political party. AVP. Full meaning is; ASUU Victims Party. Membership is strictly for federal and state university students who ve been victims of incessant ASUU strike. grin

2 Likes

Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Majikals(m): 10:44am On Sep 11, 2013
if dem like self make dem Deregister PDP,APC,INEC,NTA,PHCN....nothing changes,
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Lilchilz(m): 10:58am On Sep 11, 2013
Neyova: Finally finally! My post made front page! Feeling excited, dem go hear 4 my church on sunday. Thanksgiving tinz.
eeyah pele.....so dat thinq neve free u.....smh with *sympathy*
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Dpeacemaker101: 11:00am On Sep 11, 2013
English hard oo. So you didn't u dear stand what the post was all about, Abeg make dem call off strike make you go learn
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by stevolinkon40: 11:08am On Sep 11, 2013
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by BabaOyee: 11:21am On Sep 11, 2013
Two-party system would have been ideal for this country as was in time of SDP and NRC during Gen Babangida era. However since Multi-party system is adopted,no party should be de-registered. A non viable party today may be a winning party tomorrow.No hopeless situation in life except you agree it is hopeless.

1 Like

Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Kelechi2020(m): 11:21am On Sep 11, 2013
This is the best solujion to all the problems this ashawo politicians(atiku of pdm fashola tinubu of acn an rochas of apga have caused us
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by ChngedChnges(m): 11:22am On Sep 11, 2013
Dpeacemaker101: English hard oo. So you didn't u dear stand what the post was all about, Abeg make dem call off strike make you go learn
Best of Litrary acrobatics! I see a future Wole Soyinka sad sad
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by ChngedChnges(m): 11:24am On Sep 11, 2013
Baba Oyee!:
Two-party system would have been ideal for this country as was in time of SDP and NRC during Gen Babangida era. However since Multi-party system is adopted,no party should be de-registered. A non viable party today may be a winning party tomorrow.No hopeless situation in life except you agree it is hopeless.
BABA you have spoken well
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by AnOlAd: 11:45am On Sep 11, 2013
Na wa for 2015 hustle
Re: INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 11, 2013
this is so inteligent of you Jega and may be called Jegalization of some parties

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How Jonathan Is Playing Football With The Life Of Nigerians (pix) / Central Mosque Enugu-ezike In Enugu State Razed Down / South Africans Are Surprised With Nigeria’s Unemployment Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.