Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Things Common To Theist And Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Things Common To Theist And Atheist (1318 Views)

My Fellow Agnostic And Atheist, What If We Got It All Wrong? / Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist / Christians, Satanist And Atheist I Pity You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things Common To Theist And Atheist by tobechi74: 10:34am On Sep 11, 2013
Are atheist so opposite to theist? Are they opposite sides of a coin or two different coins?do they disagree on everything or agree on some? Is there anythinng ciommoon to both
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:41am On Sep 11, 2013
Nothing common between us. Moreover, this job you are doing cant help. Im moving with pagan not ya. Good day

1 Like

Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by tobechi74: 10:56am On Sep 11, 2013
This thread is kind of continuation with quest to unite the two groups

https://www.nairaland.com/1195095/towards-uniting-theist-atheist

i think its best if we begin by pointing what we have in common so as to view each other as one.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by tobechi74: 11:02am On Sep 11, 2013
Let me start

both are human

your belief doesnt make you a superhuman. Our nonbelies doesnt make us smarter
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by tobechi74: 11:05am On Sep 11, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Nothing common between us. Moreover, this job you are doing cant help. Im moving with pagan not ya. Good day

what is my job?
I haven't come to convert a soul in nairaland
goodluck as u embrace paganism;congrats
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by F00028: 12:19pm On Sep 11, 2013
both are people of FAITH!

note: they can't provide proof of atheism.

ask, and they'll go on about how atheism really is a disbelief and you can't prove a negative...blah blah blah. (i.e they can't prove conclusively God doesn't exist)

and you wonder if they can't conclusively prove it why the he.ll do they accept it? answer: they have FAITH in it.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by UyiIredia(m): 1:16pm On Sep 11, 2013
They are humans and as such bear respective similarities. Their philosophies involve a belief, contrary to the silly notion atheism involves no belief, this point valid since atheism believes the proposition of theists and deists false, and the fraudulent insistence on non-belief is itself a belief given their humanity. Finally, both are borne out of a quest for truth as to how the universe exists.

1 Like

Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by UyiIredia(m): 1:23pm On Sep 11, 2013
That said, inasmuch as I've dropped calling atheism a religion, I find it ironic that atheists, moreso than deists, are building a community in order to carry political, social and financial weight in a manner akin to Christianity. They see that the advantages of community Christianity offers is a strong incentive preventing some from leaving and they happen to see the wisdom in building a community, the folly that comes with it, as it does any act, is that in doing so they become like religions because the superstructure of dogmas and rituals in religions were borne out of a large Christian community. The differences nothwithstandinng, in particular the aversion to dogma, ritual or superstition, I think there'll be elements of them, especially the first.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by jayriginal: 3:03pm On Sep 11, 2013
F00028: both are people of FAITH!

note: they can't provide proof of atheism.

What is proof of atheism?
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by jayriginal: 3:04pm On Sep 11, 2013
Uyi Iredia: . . . I've dropped calling atheism a religion . . .

How come?
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by tobechi20(m): 5:00pm On Sep 11, 2013
jayriginal:

kindly open another thread for that
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by UyiIredia(m): 5:10pm On Sep 11, 2013
jayriginal:

How come?

I think it best called a philosophy and it doesn't follow the commonly-understood meaning of the term.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by mumumugu(m): 11:17pm On Sep 11, 2013
Each belive in their stands, but atheist own souns a bit crasy
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by italo: 7:50am On Sep 12, 2013
Both Atheists and Theists are people of immense FAITH.

We both believe things we read and hear other trusted people tell us.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by F00028: 8:08am On Sep 12, 2013
jayriginal:

there isn't any.

...especially if you hold them to the same standards they set for religious folk. and if you are asking what I mean by "proof of atheism", its: conclusive proof God does not exist.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by RayMcBlue(m): 9:10am On Sep 12, 2013
Atheism refer to persons lacking religious belief or faith. An atheist denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings, while a theist believes in the existence of god or gods. There is no common ground whatsoever between the two.

1 Like

Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by jayriginal: 9:16am On Sep 12, 2013
F00028:

there isn't any.

...especially if you hold them to the same standards they set for religious folk. and if you are asking what I mean by "proof of atheism", its: conclusive proof God does not exist.

But atheism is not necessarily saying that God does not exist.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by italo: 9:30am On Sep 12, 2013
jayriginal:

What is it saying then?
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by RayMcBlue(m): 9:52am On Sep 12, 2013
jayriginal:

This is exactly what atheism is saying. In fact it's the foundation on which atheism was formed.

1 Like

Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by tobechi74: 11:25am On Sep 12, 2013
Atheist are not saying God doesnt exist. They are only saying they dont accept that God exists because the evidence provided isnt convincing enough.

Illustration

its just like a judge in a court. Accused lawyer brings evidence why the suspect should be arrested . Defence councel brings reason why suspect should be discharged.

It is left for the judge to make the choice on whether the suspect should be discharged or prosecuted. He would do so based on the evidence provided or personal biasness.

Only the suspect can really ascertain if he was guilty of the crime or not.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by jayriginal: 12:12pm On Sep 12, 2013
tobechi74: Atheist are not saying God doesnt exist. They are only saying they dont accept believe that God exists because the evidence provided isnt convincing enough.

Italo and Ray McBlue, tobechi has said it (with a minor modification of mine).

There are indeed atheists who say that there is no God but that is not the defining feature of atheism.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by RayMcBlue(m): 1:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
tobechi74: Atheist are not saying God doesnt exist. They are only saying they dont accept that God exists because the evidence provided isnt convincing enough.

Since you are modifying your original arguments, then allow me to modify mine.

Atheism may have started out on the foundation of god skepticism, but it has since taken root as various holy books such as, Holy Bible, Torah, Quran and Hadith that most theist based the core of their faith in, had long been scientifically debunked.

My point is modern atheism doesn't care about the existence of god anymore, it's all about thinking for one self and making ones own decisions without the constraint of religion.

Following that logic, Atheism doesn't believe in god(s) and would give a rat àss if god exist or not. They are masters of their own fate, so to speak.

1 Like

Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by RayMcBlue(m): 1:31pm On Sep 12, 2013
A wise man once said "I only pray that a god will appear before me so that I will have the pleasure of spitting in his face!"

He was an atheist.

1 Like

Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 1:55pm On Sep 12, 2013
Ray McBlue: A wise man once said "I only pray that a god will appear before me so that I will have the pleasure of spitting in his face!"

He was an atheist.

And another wise man too once said 'The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." ..

He was a King.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 12, 2013
tobechi74: Are atheist so opposite to theist? Are they opposite sides of a coin or two different coins?do they disagree on everything or agree on some? Is there anythinng ciommoon to both

@Op, i will be frank with you..There is nothing common between theist and atheist when it comes to religion and beliefs.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by RayMcBlue(m): 2:08pm On Sep 12, 2013
joel lala:

And another wise man too once said 'The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." ..

He was a King.

A certain atheist once said "I refuse to believe in a god that would send me to hell just for not believing in him."

He was a King.

1 Like

Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by saintvc(m): 2:56pm On Sep 12, 2013
THE DIFFERENT THING IS THE "A". WHICH MEANS AGAINST
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by tobechi20(m): 5:53pm On Sep 13, 2013
Both exaggerate the other's weakness but suppress theirs.
Both exaggerate each others strenght but suppress the other strenght
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by italo: 10:06am On Sep 14, 2013
tobechi20: Both exaggerate the other's weakness but suppress theirs.
Both exaggerate each others strenght but suppress the other strenght

What is the strength of Atheists?
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by quivah(f): 10:37am On Sep 14, 2013
whats common to a yes and no? The question asked.
The topic "god" is common to both.

italo:

What is the strength of Atheists?
what is the strength of Theists? Faith? Unseen god? Or their contradicting bibles?
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by italo: 11:53am On Sep 14, 2013
quivah: whats common to a yes and no? The question asked.
The topic "god" is common to both.

what is the strength of Theists? Faith? Unseen god? Or their contradicting bibles?

Calm down, my lady.

I didnt say on this thread that Theists had any strengths.

Peace be unto you.
Re: Things Common To Theist And Atheist by quivah(f): 11:59am On Sep 14, 2013
italo:

Calm down, my lady.

I didnt say on this thread that Theists had any strengths.

Peace be unto you.
calm down, my gent.

I didnt say on this thread, you mentioned Theists having any strength.

I was only asking a gentle question with objectives ease.smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism / What Type Of Vessel Are You? / How Can I Remove The "I Am A Muslim" Declaration On My Profile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.