Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism (1312 Views)

Since I've Joined Nairaland,what I've Learned About Atheism / What They Don't Tell You About Atheism / Christian Parents Biblically Beat Child To Death For Mispronouncing Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by tobechi20(m): 9:14pm On Dec 20, 2014
,kids of religous should know about those who oppose their views .
With this post, I’d like to raise awareness of why Christian parents should care so much about understanding atheist views and why we should proactively address these specific challenges to Christianity with our kids. Here are four key things you should know

population as Christians is steadily declining, while the number of atheists and agnostics is steadily rising.

our kids will encounter their influence more and more. Atheists especially are often passionate about their worldview and are ready and willing to engage in discussions about the reasonableness of Christianity. Whether our kids are equally ready and willing to respond lies greatly on our shoulders as parents.

2. Atheism is especially making inroads with young adults.

The internet has enabled atheists to have a disproportionately loud voice – one your kids are certain to hear

the internet factored heavily into believers’ conversion to atheism

4. More atheist parents means there will be more atheist kids to influence your own children at a younger age.
It’s not just online or in college that our kids will encounter the influence of atheists. With more atheist parents in this generation, there are more atheist kids at school…and at church.

Does it mean we should fear the atheist worldview or those who adhere to it? Of course not

Does it mean we should read every atheist book, watch every atheist program on the new TV channel and follow every major atheist blog? Of course not

What it means is that we need to acknowledge the significance of the atheist challenge to Christianity, understand the atheist’s core claims, and proactively talk to our kids about the atheist worldview
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by tobechi20(m): 9:21pm On Dec 20, 2014
Ways for Christian Parents to Teach Kids about Atheism

1. Be intentional in pointing out that not everyone believes in God.

2. Discuss reasons why some people don’t believe in God.

At an age-appropriate level, we discussed how some people just don’twantto believe in God because they want to live without any (moral) rules; how some people see all the bad stuff happening in the world and decide a good God can’t possibly exist; how some people think the world has just always existed without a creator; how some people think the world would be very different if God existed; and so on.
This can lead to a great conversation about how the decision to accept or reject God (and Jesus) is the most important decision people must make in life.

3. When talking about stories from Jesus’ life, talk about the reactions he received from non-believers.
One of the stories that baffles me the most from Jesus’ life is when he healed a man with a withered hand on the Sabbath and the Pharisees who were present immediately set out “to destroy Him” for violating their rules (Mark 3:6). If I just saw a withered hand miraculously restored in front of my eyes, I think I’d be convinced that this person had authority from God and I’d chill out on the Sabbath rule enforcement. But, despite this evidence, they still did not believe Jesus was God’s Son and set out to kill Him.
Events like these from Jesus’ life provide a good opportunity to talk about belief and non-belief – that even when Jesus was walking this earth and doing amazing miracles in front of people, there were those who would not believe. The Pharisees were not atheists, so this isn’t a conversation about atheism per se, but it is a conversation that helps kids start thinking about the nature of belief and unbelief.

6. Ask what your kids have heard at school (or church!) from kids who don’t believe.
it’s likely that your kids are encountering peers and teachers who don’t believe in God and they’ve almost certainly heard things that you would want the opportunity to weigh in on. That said, it doesn’t mean they are automatically sharing all this with you. Ask them regularly what they hear about God from kids and teachers. This gives you the opportunity to address it head-on
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by tobechi20(m): 9:25pm On Dec 20, 2014
[Older Kids] Read stories of people who turned away from Christianity.
If you Google “ex-Christian stories,” you’ll find an array of sites where former Christians post their de-conversion stories. These can actually be great discussion starters. Having the opportunity to talk about these experiencesbeforeyour kids leave home is ideal for minimizing the shock factor of hearing such stories later. Talk about the person’s rationale for leaving and ask your kids what they would say to that person. Ask if they’ve ever thought some of the same things, and encourage them to be open about any doubts – now is the time to address them!

. [Older Kids] Challenge your kids with a role play.
Want to see how prepared your kids currently are to address challenges to their faith? Try a role play. You be the atheist. See how your kids respond. Here’s an example for you to say: “I don’t believe God exists. There’s no evidence! I believe in science. Why doyoubelieve in a God you can’t prove exists?” This is the most basic of claims – see what your kids do with it. Keep pushing back on them after they respond. Use what happens as an opportunity to look for learning opportunities in the areas that come up.

. [Older Kids] Watch debates between a Christian and an atheist.
There are many debates available to watch online (for free). Sit down as a family to watch one and encourage everyone to take notes on the points that were strongest and weakest for both sides. Use it as a springboard for discussion when the debate is done, and follow up with study on any new points.

. [Older Kids] Read a book together by an atheist and then a rebuttal by a Christian (or vice versa).

. [Older Kids] Check out atheist websites together.

Www.source.com
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by ooman(m): 9:30pm On Dec 20, 2014
If you present atheism to your kids in a bad light, they will actually learn about it in a good light somewhere else. Then you will become a liar, and they will become atheists.

Tell them them the simple fact - absence of knowledge is the presence of faith.

Faith is the aberration of reason, atheism is rationality.

5 Likes

Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by tobechi20(m): 9:43pm On Dec 20, 2014
And what do you mean by bad light?

The aim is like lecturn d kid on sex education so he doesnt act out of ignorance.

Kids should be be prepared for likely atheist approach so they wouldnt be taken unawares like a pregnant teenager.
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by ooman(m): 9:50pm On Dec 20, 2014
tobechi20:
And what do you mean by bad light?

The aim is like lecturn d kid on sex education so he doesnt act out of ignorance.

Kids should be be prepared for likely atheist approach so they wouldnt be taken unawares like a pregnant teenager.

Check this

tobechi20:

At an age-appropriate level, we discussed how some people just don’twant to believe in God because they want to live without any (moral) rules;

That's bad enough.

Atheists actually have moral rules. We make them.
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by Nobody: 10:14pm On Dec 20, 2014
I'm proud ATHEIST...I wouldn't teach my children religion but teach them morality and I will never confine their thought to an imaginary God but teach them to be a God of their own by doing GOOD

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by tobechi20(m): 12:10pm On Dec 21, 2014
ooman:

Check this

That's bad enough.

Atheists actually have moral rules. We make them.

hmm, sorry if it sounds offensive.
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by tobechi20(m): 12:12pm On Dec 21, 2014
aaronson:
I'm proud ATHEIST...I wouldn't teach my children religion but teach them morality and I will never confine their thought to an imaginary God but teach them to be a God of their own by doing GOOD

you should teach your kids about theism. Reasons why people belive in God,common attributes of various religion etc so that a pastors kid wont take him unawares
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by wiegraf: 12:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
The counter attack begins!

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 21, 2014
tobechi20:

you should teach your kids about theism. Reasons why people belive in God,common attributes of various religion etc so that a pastors kid wont take him unawares
Even when pastors kids come around my kidt(s) with that religion crap,my kid(s) would remember daddy told them about religious gullible people out there.
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by plaetton: 2:23pm On Dec 21, 2014
tobechi20:

hmm, sorry if it sounds offensive.

It is not offensive. It is a lie that your children will easily see through.

With all due respect, I think you are making the typical Christian mistake by deluding your self that your children will think like you and adopt all your worldviews. You are dead wrong.

You ignorantly forget or chose to ignore that Christianity's biggest nemesis is Reason, not atheism.
Your children are 100% guaranteed to come into contact with Reason, and will make s choice whether to embrace Reason or reject it. The odds are that they will likely embrace it.
This is the general trend that has been slowing going on over the past 300+ years.
African is just slowly catching up with the rest of mentally sovereign humanity.

The problem with most Christ-tards is that you ignore reality and isolate your selves in your delusional make-belief cocoons.
By identifying atheism as your threat, you are showing a repeating pattern of denial.

Here, as always, you have chosen to fight an in invisible enemy, rather than face the inevitable firewall of Reason that becons you, as well as all when who approach the age of Reason.

So, your thread, if you are sincere, should be appropriately titled ; How To Protect Your Christian Child From The Onslaughts Of Reason .

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by plaetton: 2:49pm On Dec 21, 2014
aaronson:
Even when pastors kids come around my kidt(s) with that religion crap,my kid(s) would remember daddy told them about religious gullible people out there.

Funny . Most pastor's kids end up loathing religion because they have the insider' s knowledge of how fake their parents are. They see their parents up close, and see the lies, pretences and hypocrisies.

3 Likes

Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by tobechi74: 2:56pm On Dec 21, 2014
plaetton:

With all due respect, I think you are making the typical Christian mistake by deluding your self that your children will think like you and adopt all your worldviews. You are dead wrong.

You ignorantly forget or chose to ignore that Christianity's biggest nemesis is Reason, not atheism.
Your children are 100% guaranteed to come into contact with Reason, and will make s choice whether to embrace Reason or reject it. The odds are that they will likely embrace it.
This is the general trend that has been slowing going on over the past 300+ years.
African is just slowly catching up with the rest of mentally sovereign humanity.

The problem with most Christ-tards is that you ignore reality and isolate your selves in your delusional make-belief cocoons.
By identifying atheism as your threat, you are showing a repeating pattern of denial.

Here, as always, you have chosen to fight an in invisible enemy, rather than face the inevitable firewall of Reason that becons you, as well as all when who approach the age of Reason.

So, your thread, if you are sincere, should be appropriately titled ; How To Protect Your Christian Child From The Onslaughts Of Reason .

Mr, the aim is to pre-inform the kids before they meet a diferent view so as not to be taken unawares.

The fact is NO ONE KNOWS THE TRUTH. WE ONLY CHOOSE TO BELIEVE WHAT WE CHOOSE TO BELIVE BASED ON WHAT WE RATE REASONABLE TO US.

TELL THE CHILD UR BELIEF AND THE BELIEF OF THOSE AROUND HIM. AS HE GROWS,HE WILL CHOOSE FOR HIMSELF WHAT TO BELIEVE.HE COULD DEVIATE FROM PARENTS BELIEF .IT IS HIS CHOICE.

HE SHOILD SEE THINGS FROM BOTH PERSPECTIVE SO THAT HE WILL BE MORE TOLERANT AND UNDERSTANDING WHEN HE ENCOUNTERS THEM.

As a kid,he should assume to be an atheist and argue with me on atheism. He would do same for theism.

This will build his ability to reason and argue reasonable too.
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by plaetton: 3:25pm On Dec 21, 2014
tobechi74:

Mr, the aim is to pre-inform the kids before they meet a diferent view so as not to be taken unawares.

The fact is NO ONE KNOWS THE TRUTH. WE ONLY CHOOSE TO BELIEVE WHAT WE CHOOSE TO BELIVE BASED ON WHAT WE RATE REASONABLE TO US.

TELL THE CHILD UR BELIEF AND THE BELIEF OF THOSE AROUND HIM. AS HE GROWS,HE WILL CHOOSE FOR HIMSELF WHAT TO BELIEVE.HE COULD DEVIATE FROM PARENTS BELIEF .IT IS HIS CHOICE.

HE SHOILD SEE THINGS FROM BOTH PERSPECTIVE SO THAT HE WILL BE MORE TOLERANT AND UNDERSTANDING WHEN HE ENCOUNTERS THEM.

As a kid,he should assume to be an atheist and argue with me on atheism. He would do same for theism.

Again, with all due respect , you are engaging on wild goose chase. Your paranoia about atheism betrays the paucity of your beliefs, and again, your children will read through it.

There is no way you can preemptively inoculate your children from certain trends of thought, or questioning their own long held beliefs.
They must , and will question their beliefs.

By the time they study philosophy, history, comparative religious studies, psychology, the sciences, by the time they travel or intersect with people from diverse cultures and beliefs, they Must question their beliefs.

Atheism, I remind all once again, is not a philosophical proposition. It proposes nothing that is worth debating. It is simply the application of reason to reject a belief, an unproven belief.
This is the same type of reason we all , including your children, will often use to analyze and reject the tooth fairy , Santa clause, the supremacy of all history's dead and forgotten gods, the 419 letters, etc.
There is no reason to make an exception for one type of myth.

My point is, you are chasing the wind, and I am pretty sure that it would backfire. People like you live under the false assumption that your children must construct and live their lives just to please their parents.

This is the 'Me Me ' generation.

2 Likes

Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by ooman(m): 3:46pm On Dec 21, 2014
plaetton:

I love this.
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by rinrin23(f): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2014
plaetton:

Why do I not know people like you offline. *applauds*
Re: Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism by rinrin23(f): 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2014
tobechi74:

How many pre-informing sessions do you plan on having with your kids? Are you going to pre-inform them of every possible view on every possible topic?.
Let the child grow in the form he/she was created, and allow common sense, reason and logic to be their guide. Common sense has never failed anyone, ever.

(1) (Reply)

Adeboye Top Pastor's Election Bombshell! / Family Values In Islam / D Kind Of Islam Every Hijabian Grl Prays For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.