Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,545 members, 7,823,395 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests (12155 Views)

Updated:Happening Now : Main Market Onitsha Shut Down, Biafra Protest (pics) / Buhari, Obama, Ban Ki-Moon At UN General Meeting (Photos) / Hoodlums Shut Down Alaba International Market On The Orders Of Tinubu's Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 12, 2013
The commercial city of Onitsha in Anambra State was shut down on Wednesday following a protest by drug dealers against the proposed ban on sale of drugs in the open market by the Federal Government.

Drug dealers at the Bridge-Head Drug Market, numbering over 10, 000, grounded commercial activities and vehicular movements in the ever busy Onitsha-Enugu Express Way.

The traders moved from one portion of the road to the other, chanting anti-federal government songs.

They also carried placards with inscriptions such as “South-East governors help us; If drug market is closed, it will lead to more crime; Over 10,000 eke-out their livelihood from drug market and Action Governor Peter Obi, help us”.

The Caretaker Committee Chairman of Onitsha Patent and Proprietary Medicine Dealers Union (OPPMDU), Mr. Kenneth Nwosu, who spoke on behalf of the traders, said the planned policy of government would affect the livelihood of over 10, 000 drug traders, their families and extended family members.

He appealed to government to look at the economic implication of the policy especially for thousands of youths who were learning drug trading in Anambra and other states.

He said, “We are appealing to the South-East governors through the South-East Governors’ Forum to call on the Federal Government to rescind its decision in the interest of security and economic well-being of the South-East and the country. Moreover, we have over 5,000 shops at this Bridge-Head Drug Market and over 10,000 traders doing business here. What happens to them and their direct dependents and extended family members?

“The proposed complex the government wants to use for its State and Mega Drug Distribution Centres (SMDDCs) in Onitsha only have 124 shops. We all know that there is a dearth of pharmacists to effectively cover these shops and administer drugs to our people”.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/09/12/onitsha-shut-down-following-protests-over-ban-on-drugs-sale-in-open-market/
Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by wheelbarrow: 12:07pm On Sep 12, 2013
1. This is a welcome development. This is where fake drugs that have been killing Nigerians come from. 10,000 drug sellers in one market!!! I'm sure 95% of them don't even have SSCE.

22 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Nobody: 12:27pm On Sep 12, 2013
wheel barrow: 1. This is a welcome development. This is where fake drugs that has been killing Nigerians come from. 10,000 drug sellers in one market!!! I'm sure 95% of them don't even have SSCE.

2. I wonder what Ibo people would be saying if this was happening in Lagos. It would have been articles, ultimatums, threats etc. All we would have been hearing is how people are envious of Ibos' success. Now that its one of them that's dealing with them they can only cry and whine.

3. Thank God I'm 1st to comment. If you're jealous, the you're on a long thing....
And what has your PHd earned you? One of those 'illiterate' traders will feed and shoulder the responsibility of your entire family for one month with just one day's sale! Get a life dude! Hating is deadly!

28 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by wheelbarrow: 12:50pm On Sep 12, 2013
Why should anyone allow 10,000 illiterate quacks to administer drugs??

These guys are murderers and if they continue in their senseless protest I will advise Peter Obi to deal with them the same way he dealt with those MASSOB criminals.

5 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:27pm On Sep 12, 2013
See how these traders are bent on killing innocent Nigerians with their fake drugs, not even issuing an ultimatum but coming out protesting with female handbags and Israeli flags.

6 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by wheelbarrow: 1:38pm On Sep 12, 2013
Orlando Owoh: She how these traders are bent on killing innocent Nigerians with their fake drugs

Don't mind them.

And some mumus are supporting the murderers..

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 12, 2013
They should switch to other kinds of trade aside drugs...
The funny part is that, most of the traders are illitrates when it comes to medicine/drug issues.

I'm sure that their only concern is their pocket and not the impacts of their businesses on people.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 12, 2013
emmysenior: They should switch to other kinds of trade aside drugs...
The funny part is that, most of the traders are illitrates when it comes to medicine/drug issues.

I'm sure that their only concern is their pocket and not the impacts of their businesses on people.
Some of you folks are just so naive....pls consult your lexicon for the meaning of 'illiterate' b4 u open ur bucal cavity to unleash blunder!

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 12, 2013
I've always being against unregulated drug-marketing business.

This is a welcome development.

6 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by wheelbarrow: 2:08pm On Sep 12, 2013
INNO18: Some of you folks are just so naive....pls consult your lexicon for the meaning of 'illiterate' b4 u open ur bucal cavity to unleash blunder!

You're nothing but a greedy murderous illiterate!!

How can you support these fake drug dealers??

8 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by wheelbarrow: 2:12pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mukina dearie..

I can see you..

grin
Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by DrWalter: 2:14pm On Sep 12, 2013
Gud muv

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 12, 2013
Aside O-T-C drugs that are relatively less harmful, prescription drugs and other regulated drugs should not be sold in open markets by un-regulated and unqualified personnel. It's not done anywhere in the world.

Our penchants to reduce and see everything from some primitive and abnormal angles is killing Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Abagworo(m): 2:15pm On Sep 12, 2013
More crime in the pipeline.
Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 12, 2013
Abagworo: More crime in the pipeline.

That is a cheap blackmail....if they are industrious they can always take up more legal business rather than engage in crimes...if they are caught..they would pay.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by adamsumale(m): 2:19pm On Sep 12, 2013
Pharmacovigilance in pursiut....gbam

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 12, 2013
ALAKE_OF_EGBA: Aside O-T-C drugs that are relatively less harmful, prescription drugs and other regulated drugs should not be sold in open markets by un-regulated and unqualified personnel. It's not done anywhere in the world.

Our penchants to reduce and see everything from some primitive and abnormal angles is killing Nigeria.
now here's an objective statement!

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Austeenxx: 2:21pm On Sep 12, 2013
undecided
Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Tolexander: 2:21pm On Sep 12, 2013
The government's effort is a good and welcomed one.

Drugs are sensitive substances that shouldn't be handled with levity and careless people but professionals. Fake drugs contribute to many death in nigeria than the sickness they are meant to cure.

It only looks like something will happen to those engaged in drug selling. Best thing for them is to get a life elsewhere.
Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by AdmYamamoto: 2:24pm On Sep 12, 2013
These people are simply criminals and are already using a move to organize the society as an alibi for their criminal ways of life. Did I read Obi Action Governor?? They are just putting him on a pedestal, plus Ibos like titles and accolades no matter how empty and false it is! Well, let them just stay there and contribute money to go and build a mega drug complex to house the 10,000 traders. It is time they stopped selling fake drugs killing off their people and in fact, drugs from anywhere to the east of the Niger bridge should not be allowed to cross into Delta State, talk less of Edo before it makes its way to the SW abeg!

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 12, 2013
Who said the drugs are fake or did you just assume because its happening in the east. Patent drugs aren't fake drugs joor. After,they'll be making noise that they are educated but don't know the difference between patent and fake

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 12, 2013
The problem we have is they are like organized cabal that even the nation's pharmaceutical companies find difficult to ignore.

As a pharma coy in Nigeria, if you don't sell to these people, they will fake your product....sell at rock-b.ottom prices and run you out of business.

Simple truth is: too many fake pharmaceutical products in Onitsha head bridge markets and Faulks road / Ariaria axis in Aba.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:35pm On Sep 12, 2013
wheel barrow:

I'm sure you're one of the illiterate traders so I'll make my points very simple and clear so that your uneducated brain can comprehend..

1. I don't have a Ph.D but a B.Eng (Mech. Eng) from the great University of Benin.

2. I am gainfully employed so you and your illiterate traders can shove your blood-stained naira notes in your rear.

3. Drug business shouldn't be for every Tom, D1ck and Harry. I wonder why you are supporting your Ibo brothers who have been killing innocent Nigerians by dealing on fake and substandard drugs.

Are you guys so greedy that you do not care that your criminal activities take the lives of thousands of people??

4. Those illiterate traders can indulge in other less sensitive businesses such as;

- sales of 2nd hand clothes
- sales of chewing stick
- sales of footwear
- sales of plastic products for domestic use (buckets, plates, cups etc)
- sales of building materials (cement, paint, tiles etc)
- etc etc

5. Once more I repeat for the benefit of you and your uneducated colleagues;
Drug business isn't for Uneducated folks!!

Dude before you burst a nerve, let me educate you a little.

1.) Onitsha Bridge head medicine market just like Idumota is not a place for administering drugs neither is it a retail market. It's a wholesale market where hospitals, retail pharmacies, chemists etc go to buy their stock.

2.) You do not need to be a graduate to own or run a pharmaceutical shop or business just like you don't have to be a medical doctor to own a hospital. You only need to employ a superintendent pharmacist.

3.) Yes, most of those traders do not even know what most of the medicines they sell are for but they do not sell to the consumers as they deal on wholesale and are under the supervision of their superintendent pharmacists.

4.) Finally, big names in the Nigerian pharmaceutical business like Greenlife pharmaceuticals, Orange drugs, Neros pharmaceuticals, E-Chuks, St. Michaels, Elbe pharm, Richy Gold pharm, Clarion Medicals etc were not even graduates when they made names in the pharmaceutical market.

26 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by AdmYamamoto: 2:37pm On Sep 12, 2013
liberty300: Who said the drugs are fake or did you just assume because its happening in the east. Patent drugs aren't fake drugs joor. After,they'll be making noise that they are educated but don't know the difference between patent and fake

I am sure you've never lived a day of your life outside Nigeria or you are just being partisan with your tribal people who even Dora Akunyuli was almost killed by them because of NAFDAC's fight against fake drugs. Have you ever taken Panadol that worked in 10 mins? Never because it has been over-diluted and all the active ingredients are below the threshold to be effective. Over here, when I take Tylenol it works very fast and very effectively so much so that when I am coming to Nigeria, I better remember to buy the drugs I will use in Nigeria. It is not news that capsule antibiotics are very ineffective in Nigeria because your people would replace it with dustin powder or mix it so it is less effective and poison to the system ultimately. If you like deny it, but no other parts of Nigeria are known with fake drugs. Not north or south west! The ideology that drives fake drugs (and similar crimes) is exclusively igbo: MONEY is ALL and ALL and they MUST get it at any cost - their life or the life of their children, family or others. Prove to me that you as an ibo man have not been told that if you are NOT RICH, no one will listen to you in your village, in the family meeting, in your clan, etc. This is why during Christmas and similar events, ibos go to the village to show off and put up the facade that they are now rich after living in Hausaland or Yorubaland.

15 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shut-down Over Drugs Ban Protests by kontrolbaba(m): 2:37pm On Sep 12, 2013
Wetin man go do??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Assembly Begins Yari’s Impeachment As DSS Arrests Speaker, Others / Nigeria Now Pumping 2.1m Barrels Of Oil Per Day, Says NNPC – The Cable / Nigeria At 60 Awards To Hold On September 30 – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.