Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,862 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? (19039 Views)

Worlds Sexiest Accents / Top 13 Countries With The S*xiest Accents In The World / Are These The World's Sexiest Accents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by joywendy(f): 7:21pm On Sep 16, 2013
Abule oshi: like Osas the presenter of Malta Dance Hall who calls her name and Surname with so much funne that makes you wonder what she is saying.
lol not just her name, even when she is calling the families out to present.I barely understand what she is saying.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Afam4eva(m): 7:32pm On Sep 16, 2013
This is what annoys me about Nigerian presenters. Why don't we learn to relate to the target audience. It's not as if these Nigerian programs are being watched by Americans. How can someone who has been eating akpu since they were born try to do an American accent. it always sounds like someone with a hot yam inside his mouth.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 16, 2013
fijiano202: Do they watch Channels TV and AIT in North America and Europe cos our presenters accent are more slangy than the Americans itself.some people call u hater if u openly criticize them but what baffles me is that u are speaking to nigerians with fake american accent,how do u want them to conprehend what ur saying

I watch Channels TV here in California, and I don't think their journalists speak with a fake accent. They only pronounce English words the right way. If anything, their way of speaking is almost "accent-neutral".
As for STV, I agree that their anchors are heavy on the foreign accent.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Afam4eva(m): 7:40pm On Sep 16, 2013
Boss13:
I think Benjamin Joseph tries to pronounce properly but he adds some nonsense accent too. Same thing as his co-presenter (adaora abi?) that accent is a disgusting one too.
Adaora Oleh is British brought up, so it's no faking.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Meddler(f): 7:46pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nosyke:

...and here i was thinking it was only me that notices them.......... undecided

is kiki the one that speaks like she's punctuating every single word? because I can't stand her. Ciana is another one and then the presenters on 99.9 kiss FM abuja. and the absolute worse Benny Ark- I swear every time I hear his voice I feel like slapping him.

I don't find what's fake about the presenters on MTN project fame, maltina dance all and toolz. are we listening to the same people?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by 25Calibre(m): 7:54pm On Sep 16, 2013
HUGE_S: Nahhh. I am in showbiz and I 'form' American accent wella. Now there is nothing like Nigerian accent in English. Do u suppose I use Yoruba accent to speak english or I shld use Igbo accent to speak the whiteman's language Nahh folks. It belongs to the Britons and the Americans so the list we can do is try to speak it like them. Also, I feel good when I speak with an American accent, u may think of it as inferiority complex, but actually my naturally intimidating personality heightened when I am using my fake accent among folks. They naturally think I am better than them. It started like a joke, but it's now a part of me. My boss is Ibo, but when he speaks Yoruba with the actual Yoruba accent it's so beautiful on him. Finally, imagine a none native speaking your language with d accent of their mother tongue, rmbr u use to laugh at such ppl. And now u think we accent folks are funny. Nahhh peeps, if u think we are fake, then d joke is on yo'all.

Absolute rubbish!!! Backward thinking African mentality.

Do the Russians or Germans or French or Chinese try to fake their accents when speaking English? Why do feel you won't be taken serious till you fake an accent? Faking accent comes from a feeling of inferiority and inadequacy.

Did Einstein drop his thick german accent for an American one before being recognised? Truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter how you speak but what you speak. work hard to succeed in life, if you are intelligent, even if you speaking with an alien accent, people will listen.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by rman: 8:14pm On Sep 16, 2013
If I meet anyone that speaks my language with an accent, it simply tells me the individual probably understands another language I don't.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by HUGES: 8:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
myads890:

Bro, you are soooooo lame. You sound gay. The only reason why you intimidate people is because you spend most of your time speaking to people who are more stupid than you are.
No buddy. I am a child of God. A christian and I can't be gay. And the nature of my job brings me in contact wih personalities in society and they really admire my accent, in fact my accent has open doors for me( funny how little things like dis trip Nigerian works for one). Finally why insult me that I am lame, its just a debate friend. I would rather be your friend than opponent. So please no hard feeling okay. Thanks though.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Dandybutix: 9:01pm On Sep 16, 2013
House, who has listened to one Niger republic guy dat reports for AIT abuja dat Calls himself ''Ajure Ngelale'' his own funne is out of dis world. Fulani-wan-be-Americana.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by HUGES: 9:07pm On Sep 16, 2013
grin
25Calibre:

Absolute rubbish!!! Backward thinking African mentality.

Do the Russians or Germans or French or Chinese try to fake their accents when speaking English? Why do feel you won't be taken serious till you fake an accent? Faking accent comes from a feeling of inferiority and inadequacy.

Did Einstein drop his thick german accent for an American one before being recognised? Truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter how you speak but what you speak. work hard to succeed in life, if you are intelligent, even if you speaking with an alien accent, people will listen.

Lol. U rit captain abt working hard to succeed in life, cos on d long run dat's what gets u to the top not accent. And about Germans etc, lol, well dnt blame me. I speak my native language so beautifully, but when I talk naturally in English you cant tell what part of Nigeria I'm from. Maybe u shld blame it on growing up with too much American movies around me. Peace friend
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Boss13: 9:12pm On Sep 16, 2013
Afam4eva:
Adaora Oleh is British brought up, so it's no faking.

I hear no British accent from her oh. I know how d brit sound. She doesn't speak American though. I guess it's Caribbean grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Boss13: 9:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
I know a female colleague that studied in the UK (the rural areas) but ended up with American accent. grin how come and when u ask her why do you speak like an American she would tell you it's British accent. The Babe sef can not even distinguish the accent she just dey blow the thing dey go. She sounds so stupid to me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by RedCard1(m): 9:18pm On Sep 16, 2013
Amanda of 95.9 Cool FM PH is the worst. This is why I just prefer WAZOBIA FM even though I don't understand some of their pidgins.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by delors(m): 10:12pm On Sep 16, 2013
Its not an accent, most of the time, it is diction. Nigerians dont pronounce words well. Yep. Even English teachers do not, I repeat, DO NOT, pronounce words well.
I give you guys, even the OP herself this challenge, sit down in your room, lock your door, cut off the noise, pronounce these words and record it:

1. Cause - Course - Curse
2. Faith - Fate
3. Hear - Here - Hair
4. Pear - pair
5. Son - sun
6. Three - tree

And so on. Then, you'd realize you don't even know how to pronounce these words correctly. if it is possible, upload the sounds, let us hear you.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by delors(m): 10:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
Boss13: I know a female colleague that studied in the UK (the rural areas) but ended up with American accent. grin how come and when u ask her why do you speak like an American she would tell you it's British accent. The Babe sef can not even distinguish the accent she just dey blow the thing dey go. She sounds so stupid to me.
ok.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by free2ryhme: 10:17pm On Sep 16, 2013
na freeze for cool fm own worse pass

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by delors(m): 10:19pm On Sep 16, 2013
CFCfan:

I watch Channels TV here in California, and I don't think their journalists speak with a fake accent. They only pronounce English words the right way. If anything, their way of speaking is almost "accent-neutral".
As for STV, I agree that their anchors are heavy on the foreign accent.
I agree with you, 100%.
I have listened to many Nigerian presenters and their accent is almost neutral. I think the error or misunderstanding crops up when some people hear a guy pronounce a word different from the way others pronounce it, and the 'amebos' go dey para for nothing say this guy dey form accent. Although make we nor lie, e get some cool fm dudes and gals wey form foreign accent pass anything. Names withheld.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Egbagirl(f): 10:54pm On Sep 16, 2013
delors: Its not an accent, most of the time, it is diction. Nigerians dont pronounce words well. Yep. Even English teachers do not, I repeat, DO NOT, pronounce words well.
I give you guys, even the OP herself this challenge, sit down in your room, lock your door, cut off the noise, pronounce these words and record it:

1. Cause - Course - Curse
2. Faith - Fate
3. Hear - Here - Hair
4. Pear - pair
5. Son - sun
6. Three - tree

And so on. Then, you'd realize you don't even know how to pronounce these words correctly. if it is possible, upload the sounds, let us hear you.

I see what you are getting at but the problem is the "overdoing" and "over sabi". For example, instead of pronouncing "cause" the way it should be, those trying too hard will add an "r" to become "caurse". That's where the problem is. It's not by force to speak in an accent that isn't natural. Even those that have lived abroad for long still mess up they'd their pronunciation sometimes not to talk of those who do "wanna be".

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Sep 16, 2013
The one wen dey annoy me pass,na wen per§n go travel 2 S.A or even Malaysia sef nd come back with an American accent.Its so annoying eh!...I nor say to phoneh bad,bt wen u overdo it,its grating on d nerves.Sheesh
Nd some Nja brides dey automatically turn Oyinbo on deir wedding day. Choi! Wen u hear phoneh u go trip.
Naija we hail

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Borat1: 11:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
Afam4eva: This is what annoys me about Nigerian presenters. Why don't we learn to relate to the target audience. It's not as if these Nigerian programs are being watched by Americans. How can someone who has been eating akpu since they were born try to do an American accent. it always sounds like someone with a hot yam inside his mouth.

What yeye target audience are you talking about?
Do you or don't you hear and understand what they are saying?
You're the one labelling it "fake". You expect a radio presenter to speak with a hoarse thick naija accent. I also hope you know a Nigerian accent comes with a lot of mispronounced words.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Mustay(m): 11:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
I remember when this kinda discussion was on NL some years ago concerning Adaura Achumba - I really don't care about 'forming' et al, my only concern is that there's no sense in not being able to convey the message to listeners thus creating a communication gap. Presently, there's this guy I come across on City 105.1FM, I don't know his name yet but mehnnnn, I go just dey vex when I hear am.

Definitely, good English must be spoken but if we want to hear foreigners speak, we know where to get them. These guys are some examples that 'connect' - Femi (Cool FM) & Dieko Gilbert (i FM). There are also some other examples. I do notice some others have this accent thingy but it's not necessarily fake.

Kemistry faced this issue from her days on Brila FM to Rhythm FM where she had to tell a listener her life history so he'd know it was no faking. All the same, Dan Foster serves as a case study - ultimately, the people want to connect with you. Speaking bad English isn't the same as a Naija accent duh!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Mustay(m): 11:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
I remember when this kinda discussion was on NL some years ago concerning Adaura Achumba - I really don't care about 'forming' et al, my only concern is that there's no sense in not being able to convey the message to listeners thus creating a communication gap. Presently, there's this guy I come across on City 105.1FM, I don't know his name yet but mehnnnn, I go just dey vex when I hear am.

Definitely, good English must be spoken but if we want to hear foreigners speak, we know where to get them. These guys are some examples that 'connect' - Femi (Cool FM) & Dieko Gilbert (i FM). There are also some other examples. I do notice some others have this accent thingy but it's not necessarily fake.

Kemistry faced this issue from her days on Brila FM to Rhythm FM where she had to tell a listener her life history so he'd know it was no faking. All the , Dan Foster serves as a case study - ultimately, the people want to connect with you. Speaking bad English isn't the same as a Naija accent duh!!!
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by sweetgala(m): 11:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
Akshow: adaora speaks dat way she's not faking it. Same wit osas. Benjamin Joseph fakes accent? Really? U guys are jus unnecessary haterz. I said earlier, u guys confuse being fluent wit fake prolly cos ur pronunciation sucks.

Command of language and accent are two different things, the best description is within UK and IRL and where different regions and cities have distinct accents. I can tell a south Dublin person from a northsider in my case. London folks and peoples from somewhere like Blackpool differ in the way they pronounce their words, speed of speech etc.

Person wey just land Liverpool yesterday go dey form London accent. Even american accents differ on region. Most naija fake the Yankee(NY) jersey accent. Why not try a Texan accent!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Omotolaaraujo(f): 11:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
Oh, fer shur! Whaaatever! And I was like . . . and she was like . . .
Gim me a kool, my breaf be stankin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by delors(m): 12:07am On Sep 17, 2013
Egba girl:

I see what you are getting at but the problem is the "overdoing" and "over sabi". For example, instead of pronouncing "cause" the way it should be, those trying too hard will add an "r" to become "caurse". That's where the problem is. It's not by force to speak in an accent that isn't natural. Even those that have lived abroad for long still mess up they'd their pronunciation sometimes not to talk of those who do "wanna be".

Yeah. But then, when i hear some people pronounce 'cause', it sounds more like 'cos' meanwhile the 's' should sound 'z'. So, I just feel sometimes, it is when you are trying to pronounce some words correctly, thats when some people kinda think oon is forming it.
One annoying trend is the 'think' or 'thank' word. Most Nigerians pronounce it as 'tink' or 'tank' (omitting the 'h') while the wannabes pronounce it 'fink' or 'fenk. Lol...Crap! Although it sounds more like 'fink', it actually isnt. The 'th' must be pronounced the right way, not 'f'. Its all funny

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Bimpss(f): 12:12am On Sep 17, 2013
Lmao! @op ikr!!. That's the exact reason I don't watch nollywood movies anymore. I remember the first time I showed my akata friends a naija movie(Desmond Elliot was the lead actor, I think) and they were all like "why is he talking like that?" I busted into laughter at how embarrassing it was. I don't know why naija people think having an American accent is the proper way to speak. I especially HATE how people like ice prince put on that "I am so hood" wanna be accent, everytime I hear him rap I just want to shut him up and just go like "No, just no." "Don't ever do that again in your life!"

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by NorseGod: 12:16am On Sep 17, 2013
When are we as Nigerians going to be proud of our identity?.
Those saying these presenters speak well are obviously high on the same cheap substance they are on. Speaking well and pronouncing words properly wouldnt make you incomprehensible to the layman, else we wouldn't understand what people like Joke Sylva, Pete Edochie or Wole Soyinka are saying. They,and not the sorry excuses posing as presenters,pronounce words correctly because they have mastered the art of diction and elocution(which many presenters lack or have never even heard of these qualities). Seriously we need to stop encouraging mediocrity in the name of sounding exposed. Their employers are not helping matters as well, the more you sound like yam is being forced down your throat, the longer you work with them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by NorseGod: 12:22am On Sep 17, 2013
@Bimpss: Nollywood accent is inter-galatic abeg. Only aliens can underrstand what they are saying. I quickly switch stations anytime i see that mumu Desmond Elliot advert on dstv. The best way to watch nollywood movies:Your finger on the fast forward button or the TV on mute.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 12:33am On Sep 17, 2013
Bimpss: Lmao! @op ikr!!. That's the exact reason I don't watch nollywood movies anymore. I remember the first time I showed my akata friends a naija movie(Desmond Elliot was the lead actor, I think) and they were all like "why is he talking like that?" I busted into laughter at how embarrassing it was. I don't know why naija people think having an American accent is the proper way to speak. I especially HATE how people like ice prince put on that "I am so hood" wanna be accent, everytime I hear him rap I just want to shut him up and just go like "No, just no." "Don't ever do that again in your life!"

On point! I was SMH when I watched Ice Prince's BET interview. Tonto Dike is another culprit in Nollywood.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by CHIMSKY(m): 12:58am On Sep 17, 2013
demelza: Hot Fm presenters are something else especially Kiki. That girl sounds totally ridiculous to the point of embarassment.
I like Ambrose Olutayo Shomide on Raypower.He is so natural.Reminds me of Patrick Okeh,Mani Onumonu,Yinka Craig,

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by HezronLorraine(m): 1:03am On Sep 17, 2013
Its a trend done by broadcasters and TV presenters,even your international media does them.I've seen it on CNN.its just that,we assume that's their day-day normal american accent.A tv or radio host must try to sound exotic,just that our Nigerian brothers like putting gra gra to theirs.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Egbagirl(f): 2:48am On Sep 17, 2013
delors:

Yeah. But then, when i hear some people pronounce 'cause', it sounds more like 'cos' meanwhile the 's' should sound 'z'. So, I just feel sometimes, it is when you are trying to pronounce some words correctly, thats when some people kinda think oon is forming it.
One annoying trend is the 'think' or 'thank' word. Most Nigerians pronounce it as 'tink' or 'tank' (omitting the 'h') while the wannabes pronounce it 'fink' or 'fenk. Lol...Crap! Although it sounds more like 'fink', it actually isnt. The 'th' must be pronounced the right way, not 'f'. Its all funny

In fact d tin tire me. I think it's more than our accents though. It's a mentality that anything foreign is better. Wanna be americanas, fashionistas, artists etc. The accent is only a part of it.

Another thing is we like to make certain things appear "Behind". E.g think vs fink. Those who say "fink" think it's cool and in reality it's not. About 7years ago, I was guilty of this not because I didn't know better but because eveyone else was saying it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Run Whatsapp Without Internet Connection? / Man Gives Food Items & Money To Mum Of Malnourished Kids He Found On Streets / Diesel Tanker Rams Into School Wall In Lagos (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.