Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,720 members, 7,955,697 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:08 PM

Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? (19224 Views)

Worlds Sexiest Accents / Top 13 Countries With The S*xiest Accents In The World / Are These The World's Sexiest Accents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Oppypoppy: 1:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
D tin tire me o. And upon it its obvious say na African day talk coz our accent is heavy n strong it just cant sound lik d Americans. I wonder y d copy copy.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by BlueScholar(m): 2:07pm On Sep 17, 2013
Osama10: Its very funny when you hear some of them speaking that have not even travelled outside their state. grin grin
grin
Osama10: Its very funny when you hear some of them speaking that have not even travelled outside their state. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by tooblest(m): 4:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
Lol. shey una dey hear dem too
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Bimpss(f): 4:17pm On Sep 18, 2013
delors:
So you would rather have everyone talk like who? Hon Pat Obahiagbon? Desmond sounds cool as far as I can tell. Nollywood dudes sound cool (well, except for that bad guy always playing the role of a hired killer but hardly kills a fly. Cant remember his name now). The ladies are the cause of Nollywood wahala. The Tonto Dickehs and co, twisting English to make it even more confusing.
truth is, if some of these dudes speak with accents, it is probably because they lived abroad for a long time and imbibed the intonation. It is always the case. Ice Prince doesnt rap with an accent that much. The other day he did a weather presentation on a TV station in the States, he sounded natural although with words like 'whadup peeps', 'hey man', etc Listen to MI's songs, especially his early ones, listen to the way he pronounces his words, he didnt use any foreign accent but his pronunciation of words were different. He doesnt even speak pidgin that much. Listen to Banky W, his pronunciations are on point (and some peeps think he forms an accent). Listen to Sinzu, Mode 9, Godwon, etc those guys spent time abroad, so their pronunciations are different (or better than the average Nigerian's). Tha's not accent, that's proper pronunciation.

Well maybe to you they sound cool, but everytime I hear that "nollywood" accent (because God knows that a normal person without a speech impediment is not suppose to talk like that) I just want to do a facepalm. You want to know what I find to be really amusing? It's the fact that you have all this Nigerian people putting on an American/British accent and they don't even get it right. Nigerians have to listen closely to understand what they're saying, and lord knows that Americans are puzzled with the faked up dialect. Before you start to talk about how some people have changed their accent because of the time they spent abroad, I'll just like to use me as a case study I left Nigeria at a very young age and I have been living in the US for quite sometime now(which is kind of an understatement) and I haven't changed my accent. I'll also like to point out that there was a time Desmond Elliot talked with a Nigerian accent, and all of a sudden (I think late 2005) he switched from saying "person" to "purrson". So what happened there? Did he drink some kind of magical American water that made his accent change overnight ? And don't give me that B.S about how English is suppose to be pronounced a certain way, go tell that to shahrukh khan and all the other Indian actors who despite their international exposures still keep their Indian accent. Everyone trying to form an American accent is just as bad as the FOBS who pronounce "water" as " warra".

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by lestathouse: 11:36am On Sep 23, 2013
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by CleftEvents: 9:25pm On Sep 23, 2013
For those saying that the reason these people speak foreign accent is because they are pronouncing the right diction,how come NTA journalists do same without American/british accent?let's keep it in mind that communication is key in disseminating information and there is a difference between Diction and Accent. Every country and language have their own accent,we should learn how to appreciate ours.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by anyaekekehinde(m): 4:34pm On Sep 24, 2013
Okaka27: and most embarassing tin b say the Kiki @hot fm is a very ugly lady and instead of respectin herself..she too dey spec phoneh *smh*

hahahahahahaha. I dont have strenght to laugh oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning Of Naira & Kobo / Getting An Affidavit, What's Your Experience? Get Informed... / XXXTENTACION – Tear Drop (his Last Song Befor He Pass Away)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.