Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,366 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (34639 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Common Grammatical Tautologies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Mickey7(m): 6:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
much better vs more better angry ... If u asked me vs if u ask me .where are u at vs where are you...where did you go vs where did you go to...almost neva vs nearly never
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Mickey7(m): 6:06pm On Sep 16, 2013
SniperInADiaper: Am not reading all this rubbish angry
all these vs all this @op

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by laplace19(m): 6:07pm On Sep 16, 2013
...Can someone clarify me in this

(1) Have you checked your result?
(2) Have you check your result?

Should "have you" go with a past or present verb? That's the question.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Abmalcom(m): 6:08pm On Sep 16, 2013
We have 'sang' instead of we have 'sung'
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by ofomac: 6:10pm On Sep 16, 2013
This guy, you contradicted yourself.you siad that 3:30 ''Three thirty'' is not wrong per se but you made correction on it.Do you make correction on what is rigth? And the word ''protocols'' is wrong,use protocol instead.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by ofomac: 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2013
This guy, you contradicted yourself.you siad that 3:30 ''Three thirty'' is not wrong per se but you made correction on it.Do you make correction on what is rigth? And the word ''protocols'' is wrong,use protocol instead.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by newpaparazzi(m): 6:14pm On Sep 16, 2013
You are so so on point joor.I never knew those that undetstand english language still remain on NL. Bravo joor.

2 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by mu2sa2: 6:31pm On Sep 16, 2013
Some errors come from mispronunciation -
"expantiate"(wrong) for expatiate (pronounced ix-pe- shi-et)- note that correct spelling has no "n";
sometimes "bother on"(wrong) is used instead of border on;
cause(pronounced coz) is often confused with course (pronounced cos);
Even "pronunciation" is apt to be mispronounced and consequently misspelt.
Why do we mispronounce simple words like "labour" (most people say le-boh (wrong) instead of lei-ba); doctor(correct pronunciation is dok-ta, not dok-toh)?
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by adetsim(m): 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2013
JMOI: “It’s vs its”

Use “its” when you are referring to something that belongs to or is part of an animal or an inanimate object. “It’s” actually means “it is” or “it has”. So, when next you want to write something like this, “It’s
handle needs to be repaired,” think again.

“Who vs whom”

“I came into the office and was met by the polite secretary who I told you about .” Right? Wrong! The
correct statement should be, “I came into the office and was met by the polite secretary whom I told you
about.” “Whom” should be used when you are referring to the object (or as teachers would say, the receiver of an action) in a sentence.
The rule of the thumb is that if you are referring to someone other than the first person you mentioned in a
sentence – or yourself – you should use “whom”.

Double Negatives

Trying to be hippie and gangsta can land you in trouble, not only with the law, but with almighty English. How many times have you said something like this, “You ain’t gonna see nobody down there”? If you ever said it, you’ve violated one of the cardinal rules of the English language. This statement has two negative words, “ain’t” and “nobody”, occurring in the same sentence. Two or more negative words do not go together in a sentence.

Credits: http://observerreports.com/2013/09/most-annoying-common-grammatical-errors-in-english/

A very nice piece...
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by bokohalal(m): 6:58pm On Sep 16, 2013
Round in shape.
Red in colour.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 16, 2013
Bros are u a Lecturer? By the way thanks for teaching me some grammer today.plz correct my English cause I want to learn.
I also hv a quastion. MOST NOLLYWOOD FILM I ALWAYS HEAR SOMETHING LIKE THIS bending conner, which I feel is also thesame thing.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by lyricalz: 7:04pm On Sep 16, 2013
Wrong 2 say "how was your night" instead say hope you had a pleasant sleep. \night rest.

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Crixina(f): 7:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
bayusman: how do we pronounce 3:26 in a formal occassion.
twenty six minutes past six I guess
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by joywendy(f): 7:09pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nice!! Most ppl say 'birds of the same feather flock together' instead of 'birds of a feather flock together'.

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Mexyz(m): 7:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
Meaning i have been murdering n killing english snce my basic classes? Vivi even said d correct thing 2 say is ''I HAVE DRUNK WATER''. @op, is dat truely the right thing to say? Anoda person said NIGGERIANS instead of NIGERIANS. Op,pls i nid clarificatn o
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
Mexyz: Meaning i have been murdering n killing english snce my basic classes? Vivi even said d correct thing 2 say is ''I HAVE DRUNK WATER''. @op, is dat truely the right thing to say? Anoda person said NIGGERIANS instead of NIGERIANS. Op,pls i nid clarificatn o
have goes with past participle and d pp of drink is drunk..use ur dictionary
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
pls what's the correct way to say "this okro soup dey draw well well".. undecided
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by TheHumanist(m): 7:26pm On Sep 16, 2013
you can't " have your cake and eat it" is correct the other "you can't eat your cake and have it" is wrong.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 16, 2013
vivichocs: pls what's the correct way to say "this okro soup dey draw well well".. undecided
This you okro ,is hungary me. Don't repent again ,hence you see me in front of ur door.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Thebrightest(m): 7:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
I am suppose to type END TIME THINGS, but i wont.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Chris710: 7:51pm On Sep 16, 2013
The devil you know is better than the angel you don't know- wrong.
Better the devil you know than the devil you don't- correct.
Fight a losing battle- correct.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Tupacx: 8:04pm On Sep 16, 2013
Many will fail this....how do ask for the sex of a baby?
1. Is he a boy or a girl?
2. Is she a girl or a boy?

I will give the right answer after getting responses.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by joywendy(f): 8:09pm On Sep 16, 2013
Tupacx: Many will fail this....how do ask for the sex of a baby?
1. Is he a boy or a girl?
2. Is she a girl or a boy?

I will give the right answer after getting responses.
the answer is none of d above
This is the answer: is it a boy or girl?

3 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Yahoo1(m): 8:25pm On Sep 16, 2013
i would rather kill myself than commit suicide
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Yahoo1(m): 8:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
joywendy: the answer is none of d above
This is the answer: is it a boy or girl?
no na .....how can you say that; the answer is- "is him a boy or is her a gal?" cheesy
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Yahoo1(m): 8:31pm On Sep 16, 2013
Thebrightest: I am suppose× to type END TIME THINGS, but i wont.
now that's what the OP was talking about. shocked
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by joywendy(f): 8:34pm On Sep 16, 2013
Yahoo1: no na .....how can you say that; the answer is- "is him a boy or is her a gal?" cheesy
lmao! Haha
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Yahoo1(m): 8:46pm On Sep 16, 2013
joywendy: lmao! Haha
i am very* much* intelligent.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by kashman04(m): 9:10pm On Sep 16, 2013
''presently now''. Most people are fond of making this error,though unconciously for some. cheesy
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by horlartayor(m): 9:11pm On Sep 16, 2013
am laffing out loud........ Abeg hlp me correct d statement nd comment it 4 me........ BRB.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by pawa4ul: 9:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
"Been" vs Being"
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Egelife(m): 9:18pm On Sep 16, 2013
Great post OP, this is very educative esp that correction of "my names are" cos av argued this with group of friends and they seemed 2 av overpowered. I think am going send this link 2 them, ya that reminds me of a similar argument wch is this. In pronouncing d word OFTEN is the 'T' silent or not? I av always argured it remains silent, right or wrong?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin, Ondo, In Pictures / The Entire Final Year Biochemistry Students Fail An Exam In #EKSU / UNILAG CSO Sunday Adejumo Murdered In Akoka Lagos Bar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.