Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,555 members, 7,837,127 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (34641 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Common Grammatical Tautologies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by labbyboi(m): 9:30pm On Sep 16, 2013
JMOI:
1. Yes, but it's contextual. When you are wishing somebody well like, "Hope you are fine", you don't add a question mark. But when it comes in form of a request or a direct question like the example you gave above, a question mark should end it.
2. "Made of" should be used when the thing comprises mainly of that material you are talking about, in such a way that if the process is reversed, you can get that material back. For example, a cup is made of plastic (when reversed you can get plastic back), a chair is made of wood (you can get the wood back is you take the chair apart), etc. "Made from" is used when there are several materials involved and you are referring to one of them, and when you reverse it you can't get that material back. For example, bread is made from flour, if you reverse bread you won't get flour back. "Made with" can be used interchangeably with "made from".
You are not making a complete sense here as you didn't make any reference(s) to the rules of grammar that best explain this. The mentioned problems are prepositions; made of, made from, made with. Made of means; the components the were put together to make that particular thing. Made from means; the source at which the particular item is made and made with means the items made along with the particular item. I wish I can buttress my point ooo. Chai!
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Kaydem(m): 9:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
samtos007: "I'm going to my working place" nahhh, rather say "I'm going to my place of work". Can a place work?
how about ''i'm going to my workplace'' heard it couple of time from people.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by personal59: 10:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
[/b][b][s][/s]
chiketee: Ok. Nice, but I disagree with some of the points. A celebrity maybe well known but not popular. Being popular has to do with approval and favour by the general public. That's why you have words like 'infamous' for celebrities who lack approval by the public. Hitler was a celebrity but he wasn't popular around the world. My point is popular doesn't mean well known, although for something to be popular it has to be well known. Therefore you can use the phrase popular celebrity for a well known person who has the approval and favour of the people. Not all celebs are popular . The one about three thirty , I also don't get how it's a grammatical error. It's just an alternative way of saying half past three. It's just like someone saying six thirty one in place of six hundred and thirty one.
chiketee: Ok. Nice, but I disagree with some of the points. A celebrity maybe well known but not popular. Being popular has to do with approval and favour by the general public. That's why you have words like 'infamous' for celebrities who lack approval by the public. Hitler was a celebrity but he wasn't popular around the world. My point is popular doesn't mean well known, although for something to be popular it has to be well known. Therefore you can use the phrase popular celebrity for a well known person who has the approval and favour of the people. Not all celebs are popular . The one about three thirty , I also don't get how it's a grammatical error. It's just an alternative way of saying half past three. It's just like someone saying six thirty one in place of six hundred and thirty one.
[quote author=chiketee]Ok. Nice, but I disagree with some of the points. A celebrity maybe well known but not popular. Being popular has to do with approval and favour by the general public. That's why you have words like 'infamous' for celebrities who lack approval by the public. Hitler was a celebrity but he wasn't popular around the world. My point is popular doesn't mean well known, although for something to be popular it has to be well known. Therefore you can use the phrase popular celebrity for a well known person who has the approval and favour of the people. Not all celebs are popular . The one about three thirty , I also don't get how it's a grammatical error. It's just an alternative way of saying half past three. It's just like someone saying six thirty one in place of six hundred and thirty one. [/quote
Who told you Hiltler Is not popular? Is it not thesame man who started the second WORLD WAR o boy if yes think u are on a wrong lane you can imagine urself how do u knw him
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Godschild2(m): 10:21pm On Sep 16, 2013
vivichocs: pls what's the correct way to say "this okro soup dey draw well well".. undecided

I think you can say something like; "this okra soup is highly glutinous and gelatinous"...grin

2 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by EmmyDe25(m): 10:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
Love you sweedy.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by idinc(m): 10:46pm On Sep 16, 2013
"I can be able".either say I can or I wil b able.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by afortress(m): 10:48pm On Sep 16, 2013
cool... Thread.... I was confused when i first heard ''talk with him'' now am hearing ''talk by him'' pretty much everything left from ''to'' to ''by'' if you dont get me watch olympus has fallen...
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by NiccoC(m): 11:39pm On Sep 16, 2013
dis reminds me of an argument i ws havin wit a frnd. he said "the boy has ran away" and i was trying to correct him that it should b "run" not "ran". ah dnt normally make stupid arguments buh ah jst wntd 2 prove him wrong though he never admitted defeat.

shows u how far people will go 2 avoid learnin. nd pple will try 2 claim that our educational system is in shambles.

smh

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by kolado(m): 11:42pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nice thread! I have questions o o o! Which is correct, OP? He scarcely never comes to see us now or He almost never comes to see us now... 2nd ques: i ran out of petrol within two miles .......... the next town. A. Of B.From C. To D.From.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by halloween70(m): 11:55pm On Sep 16, 2013
Willgates:

so when can I use "am"
I Am that I Am
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by SpicyMimi(f): 12:46am On Sep 17, 2013
Me likey! Me likey!! Me likey!!!
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by plasgidy: 1:28am On Sep 17, 2013
undecided

JMOI: That's exactly what I'm saying. More suggestions and questions pls...

my friend,i disagree with some of your trash. Saying this is three thirty is 3:30pm or am as the case may be is very correct.

Micheal jackson is a very populer celeb while janet jackson is not very populer celebrity.

When writing or speaking to some body the most important thing there is comprihension in other words understanding, if the person you are communicating with grasp you its alright, ok
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 1:34am On Sep 17, 2013
ALL THE WHOLE
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by RazziP(m): 3:24am On Sep 17, 2013
humm i think my eyes is widely opened, am i right?
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by ogwumgbe: 4:03am On Sep 17, 2013
I don't know when Nigeria has become a native speaker of English. Native speakers like US, Britain, Canada etc. use reason why, while Nigeria insists the usage is wrong. Chronic exaggerators

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by clicky90: 7:50am On Sep 17, 2013
Could, would, should VS can, will, shall. When are we supposed to use them?
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by plasgidy: 8:15am On Sep 17, 2013
Some nigerian graduet. Pronouns drum as dronu and niguria in instead of nigeria, gradjuet in place of graduet. Una dey try shaa
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 8:17am On Sep 17, 2013
laplace19: ...Can someone clarify me in this

(1) Have you checked your result?
(2) Have you check your result?

Should "have you" go with a past or present verb? That's the question.
It should go with a past tense. Just like "Have you brushed your teeth?"
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 8:21am On Sep 17, 2013
dannysteve99@ya:
Bros are u a Lecturer? By the way thanks for teaching me some grammer today.plz correct my English cause I want to learn.
I also hv a quastion. MOST NOLLYWOOD FILM I ALWAYS HEAR SOMETHING LIKE THIS bending conner, which I feel is also thesame thing.
Bending corner is wrong as a noun but correct as a verb, that is, to bend a corner.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by afortress(m): 8:24am On Sep 17, 2013
Gods-child:

I think you can say something like; "this okra soup is highly glutinous and gelatinous"...grin
i'd rather stick with the bad english, for my mum to have that what a heck is he talking about look after i finish talking... Nice funny thread

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by wabbyland(m): 8:27am On Sep 17, 2013
@jmoi, which of this expressions is correct? A. He's now a nurse
B.he's a nurse now
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by wabbyland(m): 8:31am On Sep 17, 2013
Wrong expression: I just talked to one of my friend
Correction: I just talked to one of my friends

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 8:31am On Sep 17, 2013
Egelife: Great post OP, this is very educative esp that correction of "my names are" cos av argued this with group of friends and they seemed 2 av overpowered. I think am going send this link 2 them, ya that reminds me of a similar argument wch is this. In pronouncing d word OFTEN is the 'T' silent or not? I av always argured it remains silent, right or wrong?
The "t" should be silent.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by wabbyland(m): 8:32am On Sep 17, 2013
Wrong expression: someone is looking for you
Correction: someone is asking after you

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by ugbanante: 8:34am On Sep 17, 2013
JMOI: “12 noon, 12 midnight, 12 am, 12 pm”

If you say “12 am” are you referring to 12 in the night or 12 in the afternoon? Well, strictly speaking, the day ends at 11:59 pm and begins
at midnight so you could be forgiven for referring to midnight as 12 am and noon as 12 pm.

But to avoid ambiguity, it's preferable to dodge any of these entirely. Similarly, saying “12 noon” or “12 midnight” is tautological, because everyone knows that when the clock strikes 12, it’s either midnight or midday (noon).

Other time-related and date-
related errors that are in constant use are:

3:30 (when spoken, it is “half-past 3″, not “three-thirty”)

7:15, 10:45 (when spoken, it should be “quarter past 7″ and “quarter to 11″)

December 25th, January 1st, July 4th (when a date follows the name of a month, it doesn’t come with the rankings “eth”, “first”, “second”, “third” etc; December 25, January 1, July 4 are correct)

“My names are”

It hurts my ears to hear someone say that. When it comes to annoyance, this one carries the day. When we use words just because others have used it and sounded right, this is the result. The correct thing to say remains (and has always been) “my
name is…”

Let’s take a look at a practical example. If Mr. Peter Stevens Smith should introduce himself to someone at the mall and starts with “my name is”, what he would say is, “Hello, my name is
Peter Stevens Smith.” But if he makes the mistake of starting with “my names are”, strictly speaking, he should say something like, “Hello, my names are Peter, Stevens and Smith.” The latter, you’ll agree with
me, sounds very stupid.

Credits:
http://observerreports.com/2013/09/most-annoying-common-grammatical-errors-in-english/
The english language is noot devoid of logic sir, technically, d day is 24 hrs and that means it ends exactly whn the 3 or 2 legs(depending oon the clock) meet at 12 for d second time. So, d day doesn't end at 11:59 sir. Whn these legs meet as said earlier, d next movement of the 'second' leg begins a new day. So, logically, 12 midnit is correct as well as 12 noon is too.

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by wabbyland(m): 8:36am On Sep 17, 2013
Wrong expression: I'm coming back
Correction: I will be back
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 8:37am On Sep 17, 2013
Kaydem: how about ''i'm going to my workplace'' heard it couple of time from people.
"Workplace" is the correct thing to say. "Work place" is also correct, but "working place" is wrong.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by afortress(m): 8:45am On Sep 17, 2013
wabbyland: Wrong expression: someone is looking for you
Correction: someone is asking after you
isnt this correct... someone is asking about you,
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 8:49am On Sep 17, 2013
kolado: Nice thread! I have questions o o o! Which is correct, OP? He scarcely never comes to see us now or He almost never comes to see us now... 2nd ques: i ran out of petrol within two miles .......... the next town. A. Of B.From C. To D.From.
1st: "Scarcely never" is wrong, because "scarcely" has a negative quality. "Almost never" is correct. 2nd question: "of" is correct, because of the "within" in the sentence. If you remove the "within" then "from" becomes correct.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by claimme: 8:52am On Sep 17, 2013
Grammarians in the house, pls teach me on the proper way of using "as it were".
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 8:53am On Sep 17, 2013
RazziP: humm i think my eyes is widely opened, am i right?
No. "Wide open" or "wide-open" is correct.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 8:59am On Sep 17, 2013
clicky90: Could, would, should VS can, will, shall. When are we supposed to use them?

Could, would and should are in the past tense, while the other ones are in the present tense. Also, the first group can be used when you want to do something, but you are not sure if you will be able to do it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin, Ondo, In Pictures / The Entire Final Year Biochemistry Students Fail An Exam In #EKSU / UNILAG CSO Sunday Adejumo Murdered In Akoka Lagos Bar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.