Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,853 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

**Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration (3335 Views)

2003 Nissan 350z Restoration / 190e 2.5-16v Evo2 Vs. 190e 2.6 Sportline. / t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

**Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 16, 2013
Am Just a Student in love with Cars. I think when i graduate am gonna make restoration projects random in Nigeria cox dier are some cars i wouldn't want 2 go into extinction easily.
This ma pioneer project wanna use the opportuinity of the ASUU Strike period to start of this..
Sorry for the photo quality..i took the pictures with a camera phone of low megapixel..
Am gonna take the inside and engine pics possibly with a better camera, when i get the car keys from ma dad
can't believe ppl dnt hav fear 4 a legendary benz,i wonder who dropped that use satchet there.
*Xpect hot more thrilling gists and follow ups.

Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 9:51am On Sep 16, 2013
MORE PICS

Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 16, 2013
I'll be following this project with great interest.

*Subscribed*
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 16, 2013
You definitely need to use a better quality camera though, these images are too fuzzy to show any detail.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 16, 2013
Siena: You definitely need to use a better quality camera though, these images are too fuzzy to show any detail.
Most definitely!
I went out late in the evening to get this, since the car is not parked close to where am living and considering the State of our Nation,i went with a Nokia C1-01.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 16, 2013
Siena:

I wouldn't be looking at cosmetics just yet. I would first get the mechanical side assessed, and see what she needs to get her up and running. It's possible all she needs to run is a battery, fresh gas, spark plugs and leads, rotor arm and distributor cap. All of which are readily available in Nigeria.

I'm not sure how long the car's been left sitting, and if it's a carburetor or fuel-injected model, but if she's fuel-injected, likely she'll need a new fuel pump. Stale fuel plays havoc with electric pumps, and they often seize up.
Am starting with the Engine nd Mechanical systems 1st.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Joel3(m): 1:36pm On Sep 16, 2013
what do you intend to do with this thread, i still do not understand what this thread is all about that picture was so poor. i would advice you change them immediately. not good for public considering nairaland is now been viewed internationally dude.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
Joel.:
what do you intend to do with this thread
Restoration thread 4 ma benz and thats my 1st project.
Joel.:
i still do not understand what this thread is all about that picture was so poor.
U'll understand,when i get it the photo quality rectified.
Joel.:
i would advice you change them immediately. not good for public considering nairaland is now been viewed internationally dude.
i know what to do.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 16, 2013
Joel.:
what do you intend to do with this thread, i still do not understand what this thread is all about that picture was so poor. i would advice you change them immediately. not good for public considering nairaland is now been viewed internationally dude.
meanwhile i don't know why u soundin like this,is it because of ur ...?
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
Bossforeva: meanwhile i don't know why u soundin like this,is it because of ur condemned Passat?

Ouch! lipsrsealed
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 16, 2013
Bossforeva: Siena nd al Car gurus on Car talk town
bout how much should i be budgeting for this restoration work.
Am not doing a complete restoration anyway but here are some changes i have in view
FOR THE EXTERIOR
*Am swaping the old black Steel rims for an Evolution II alloy rims or a Similar one
*Am installing an AMG,Lorinser or Zender bumbers(will prefer one with space for fog lights);Spoilers,New Headlights with white indicators,Smoke and Red rearlights,New front Grille and Rear batches
FOR THE INTERIOR
*Changing door cards,foot mats,painting the dashboard black and replacing lost knobs,new seat covers and steering covers,installing new radio/Cd player nd fixing the A.C
anything not changed in the interior will be thoroughly washed and mended where required
*I Don't pretty much about the power train and Some Basic systems but i knw definitely that their's a major job 2 be done there and fluids to be flushed out...if dierz enuf money i'll b putting a W202 kompressor engine..
Finally the paint Job.
bout how much will it cost, cox currently am budgeting 200,000 to 250,000 4 this and also soliciting for funds ?
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
Bossforeva:
Am not doing a complete restoration anyway but here are some changes i have in view
FOR THE EXTERIOR
*Am swaping the old black Steel rims for an Evolution II alloy rims or a Similar one
*Am installing an AMG,Lorinser or Zender bumbers(will prefer one with space for fog lights);Spoilers,New Headlights with white indicators,Smoke and Red rearlights,New front Grille and Rear batches
FOR THE INTERIOR
*Changing door cards,foot mats,painting the dashboard black and replacing lost knobs,or even replacing it with the center console entirely..new seat covers or even changing 2 leather seats, steering wheel covers,installing new radio/Cd player nd fixing the A.C
anything not changed in the interior will be thoroughly washed and mended where required.
All this depends on how much money am able to recieve.
*I Don't knw pretty much about the power train and Some Basic systems but i knw definitely that their's a major job 2 be done there and fluids to be flushed out...am partnering with some gurus who knows one or two things bout cars and also going to seek online help..4rm Gurus on Nairaland 1st! Meanwhile,its a W124s (V.Boot)engine, that it got right now,going 2 work on it this week,if i could source 4 funds from people that could amount to N50,000..some Nairalanders not withstanding
Finally the paint Job.
Currently am budgeting 200,000 to 250,000 4 the overall project. am also soliciting for funds if U willing to help pls,send me an Email,
God BlessU
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by JUO(m): 2:59pm On Sep 16, 2013
@ Bossforeva
meanwhile i don't know why u soundin like this,is it because of ur condemned Passat?
why?
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 16, 2013
JUO: @ Bossforeva why?
i didn't get U brother.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 16, 2013
Bossforeva: meanwhile i don't know why u soundin like this,is it because of ur condemned Passat?

Boy, why are you sounding so rude? You shouldn't add pains to his already sour experience. Pls try and apologize. Your remarks are way too unguarded.

2 Likes

Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
lomomike:
Boy, why are you sounding so rude? You shouldn't add pains to his already sour experience. Pls try and apologize. Your remarks are way too unguarded.
i didn't mean 2 b rude, buh am yet 2 knw y he was soundin harsh lyk i got a problem wit him.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 16, 2013
lomomike:

Whilst I agree Bossforeva's comment was a bit on the harsh side, I believe Joel's response to this thread was nothing short of sneering, scathing, and also just as rude. This was what started it off:

Joel.:

Yes, the pictures are low resolution, but the intent of the thread is pretty clear, even without starting pictures, anyone reading the title alone would be able to work out what the intent of the author is. Besides, there were comments posted BEFORE Joel's, so there was no mistaking the thread's objective.

Everyone's here to learn, not everyone's a photographer, not everyone's got a high resolution camera. Read between the lines of Joel's response, and you'll see why Boss responded the way he did.

3 Likes

Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 16, 2013
Brethren i beg ur pardon 4 not yet uploading a better pics.
As am yet to get some funds required for the Engine Job and some mechanical systems,i google searched for some W201s that were a lil bit modified. I found a perfect website for this @
http://www.benztuning.com/
so what am gonna copy from this, is just the front grille and am painting it that way; the front and rear bumbers,side skirts and side mirrors...am not going with the black rims.i may not also go with the colour..Also am kinda confused with all this crystal headlights most of them i've seen in nigeria,i find them fading away so easily that i wonder whether nigeria sun should be blamed for this.the way this older benz with clear crystal headlights fades am thinking of sticking with Original W201 glass headlights...
I've also noticed that most toyota's,honda's and some other cars nissan not withstanding has thier headlights fading like mad.

Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Trac: 4:03am On Sep 17, 2013
Bossforeva: Brethren i beg ur pardon 4 not yet uploading a better pics.
As am yet to get some funds required for the Engine Job and some mechanical systems,i google searched for some W201s that were a lil bit modified. I found a perfect website for this @
http://www.benztuning.com/
so what am gonna copy from this, is just the front grille and am painting it that way; the front and rear bumbers,side skirts and side mirrors...am not going with the black rims.i may not also go with the colour..Also am kinda confused with all this crystal headlights most of them i've seen in nigeria,i find them fading away so easily that i wonder whether nigeria sun should be blamed for this.the way this older benz with clear crystal headlights fades am thinking of sticking with Original W201 glass headlights...
I've also noticed that most toyota's,honda's and some other cars nissan not withstanding has thier headlights fading like mad.

I will exercise common sense that you don't anticipate carrying out the job (implying do-it-yourself). With appropriate funds, the vehicle should be back to its stable in 14 - 30 days. The good thing is labour in Nigeria is cheap.

Pay extreme attention to structural members. Hidden rust cannot be overlooked. Vulcanised rubber components will have to be replaced (even if they look good; of which I doubt). Seals also!

The anodised trims around the car was done with a very special process that will make it almost impossible to completely restore. That is eliminating the oxidation. This is probably the biggest headache if you intend to restore to pristine look. I won’t recommend you paint over it. Respecting generational traits is part of the reasons why such a dedicated decision has been made.

Suspension: Limited funds was initially stated as constraint. This, I considered in reasoning with you. Engine work could be deferred while limited resources is paid to the suspension. The is more rewarding and appreciation would be very justified. Nevertheless, whatever sound judgement is, proceed with.

Good you are sticking to the headlights. In all your proceedings, you must ensure the value of the vehicle is not degraded. Those (from the gold pictures) headlights are gimmicks. Notice how ricey they are, plus it isn’t built to a standard. Optics are very poor in output and exarcebated with arc bulbs. Function prevails over form.

I am not sure about the moldings. I wouldn’t go there if I were you. Suspension - no doubt - may have been revised. It’s unclear what the purpose of the vehicle is. Those mirrors don’t do justice to the vehicle. With the current form, I wonder how the right mirror looks. Headlight appears to have lashes; giving it the C-Class look.

Overall, preserving retro traits is essential.

I just observed from the picture that there aren’t anodised trims around the door panels of the vehicle.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by 190: 7:59am On Sep 17, 2013
Wait what the heck is going on here

My 190 which is my 3rd and strongest car away from my yaris and camry looks so much better than this

would put a pic up at the appropriate time
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by tdie: 8:08am On Sep 17, 2013
190: Wait what the heck is going on here

My 190 which is my 3rd and strongest car away from my yaris and camry looks so much better than this

would put a pic up at the appropriate time

Your point being...??

1 Like

Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
*JUST NOW
Went 2 the Fuel Station to buy petrol for the mechanic 'Ebuka' to check the engine today..@Nipco fuel Station opposite Omagba phase II Entrance...
Anyway am currently am waiting 4 d mech ebuka by name that i called 2 arrive.
Job begins officially Today!!

1 Like

Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
Trac:

I will exercise common sense that you don't anticipate carrying out the job (implying do-it-yourself). With appropriate funds, the vehicle should be back to its stable in 14 - 30 days. The good thing is labour in Nigeria is cheap.

Pay extreme attention to structural members. Hidden rust cannot be overlooked. Vulcanised rubber components will have to be replaced (even if they look good; of which I doubt). Seals also!

The anodised trims around the car was done with a very special process that will make it almost impossible to completely restore. That is eliminating the oxidation. This is probably the biggest headache if you intend to restore to pristine look. I won’t recommend you paint over it. Respecting generational traits is part of the reasons why such a dedicated decision has been made.

Suspension: Limited funds was initially stated as constraint. This, I considered in reasoning with you. Engine work could be deferred while limited resources is paid to the suspension. The is more rewarding and appreciation would be very justified. Nevertheless, whatever sound judgement is, proceed with.

Good you are sticking to the headlights. In all your proceedings, you must ensure the value of the vehicle is not degraded. Those (from the gold pictures) headlights are gimmicks. Notice how ricey they are, plus it isn’t built to a standard. Optics are very poor in output and exarcebated with arc bulbs. Function prevails over form.

I am not sure about the moldings. I wouldn’t go there if I were you. Suspension - no doubt - may have been revised. It’s unclear what the purpose of the vehicle is. Those mirrors don’t do justice to the vehicle. With the current form, I wonder how the right mirror looks. Headlight appears to have lashes; giving it the C-Class look.

Overall, preserving retro traits is essential.

I just observed from the picture that there aren’t anodised trims around the door panels of the vehicle.
thnkz bro..i dn't quite understand the bold words/sentence.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
I am following.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
tpacalipse: I am following.
U'R WELCOME
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by tdie: 2:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
Bossforeva: ...opposite Omagba phase II Entrance...

Living in Onitsha is an added advantage for you since the famous "Mgbuka Obosi" Car Parts Market is about 10 mins by Car/Bus from Upper Iweka.
You have access to one of the largest used/new car part markets in Nigeria and you'd be able to find almost everything you need-from engine parts to body trim items and even complete car shells and engines.

My advice is that as you have time, don't let your mechanic take you for a ride-go to Mgbuka market yourself and locate the Mercedes section, ask for a reputable W201 Parts dealer and you're good to go.

It might seem a bit daunting, but I assure you, it can be done and it'll be worth your time, as well as save you some money in the long run if you do get to know the dealer for your W201 Parts/accessories yourself.
Luckily also, the Merc section (if I remember rightly) is even on the outskirts of the market, so not much walking about to do.

1 Like

Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
t-die:

Living in Onitsha is an added advantage for you since the famous "Mgbuka Obosi" Car Parts Market is about 10 mins by Car/Bus from Upper Iweka.
You have access to one of the largest used/new car part markets in Nigeria and you'd be able to find almost everything you need-from engine parts to body trim items and even complete car shells and engines.

My advice is that as you have time, don't let your mechanic take you for a ride-go to Mgbuka market yourself and locate the Mercedes section, ask for a reputable W201 Parts dealer and you're good to go.

It might seem a bit daunting, but I assure you, it can be done and it'll be worth your time, as well as save you some money in the long run if you do get to know the dealer for your W201 Parts/accessories yourself.
Luckily also, the Merc section (if I remember rightly) is even on the outskirts of the market, so not much walking about to do.
U are Correct man but am still doubting whether i'll find an AMG,Lorinser,Zender,Brabus or any other modified bumbers nd side skirts for W201...
Wat i have been seeing in onitsha is the normal bumbers mercedes gave to their Pre-facelift and Facelift W201 models.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by tdie: 3:54pm On Sep 17, 2013
Bossforeva: U are Correct man but am still doubting whether i'll find an AMG,Lorinser,Zender,Brabus or any other modified bumbers nd side skirts for W201...
Wat i have been seeing in onitsha is the normal bumbers mercedes gave to their Pre-facelift and Facelift W201 models.

I'd leave out cosmetics for now and focus on getting her running as well as possible.

The Bumpers and Side skirts you're mentioning are really very expensive items and you might end up having to source from ebay or dedicated w201 enthusiast forums...and even at that the only relatively cheaper ones (fiberglass replicas) might be within you budget.

Take it step by step and you wont be overwhelmed.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Nobody: 11:45pm On Sep 17, 2013
t-die:

Motor New Parts is 3 mins max from where am living...Mgbuka is 5mins max 4rm where am living
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Trac: 2:13am On Sep 18, 2013
Bossforeva: thnkz bro..i dn't quite understand the bold words/sentence.

No problem!

Vulcanisation is adding properties to rubber to attain an objective it primary cannot sustain in its natural state. In this, I meant bushings, mounts, etc. The mounts at the frame will have to be completely replaced. Never use an American part.

The anodized trims are referenced. When oxidized, it is appears faded or tarnished.

The moldings I referred to are the skirts and the bumpers you emphases on. The reason I expressed my concern was the sole reason of purpose; which is an engineering function. To which risk you open yourself to if certain precautions are not considered. I’ll elaborate. It has a lot to do with vehicle stability for adhesion. This is by virtue of the flow of fluid (that is air) under the vehicle. The engineering purpose of the skirts and bumper is to increase fluid velocity for the sole purpose of dropping the pressure underneath. There is also a drawback, more power is needed to propel the vehicle due to drag. This is not noticeable; except extremes. The area of concern is the purpose integrity of the skirts and bumpers. How is the fluid channeled? Especially at high speed! It is a tailored concept. If constructed without the applicable engineering laws to it (which many in the market are), you’ll experience questionable stability at high speed. Such modification is considered tuning. You changing the handling of the car dynamically. It’s considered Stage III tuning under Mercedes classification. Carves and indentations (or what can be visually considered pattern) on the bumpers and skirts are not aesthetics. They serve engineering functions. However, AMG, Cosworth and Lorinser parts can be used. There are no worries there. There are other reputable brands but should be investigated with skepticism. They’d be German (I suppose).

The mirrors are cheesy. I’m unsure if the McLauren inspired the exterior appearance of the gold-colored example. It has a McLauren exterior color and mirrors that emulates it (which appears plastic). I’ll stick to the quality mirror that came with the vehicle and its anodized rear.

Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Trac: 2:20am On Sep 18, 2013
t-die:

I'd leave out cosmetics for now and focus on getting her running as well as possible.

The Bumpers and Side skirts you're mentioning are really very expensive items and you might end up having to source from ebay or dedicated w201 enthusiast forums...and even at that the only relatively cheaper ones (fiberglass replicas) might be within you budget.

Take it step by step and you wont be overwhelmed.

True, the parts are expensive (about $1100 or so for the bumpers alone and misc. not considered). Not because of the brand but the purpose to it. It takes a lot to bring to creation from the sketch pad (research to production). In addition to the parts being expensive, there are not many in the manufacturer's stock. There weren't many to begin with. If I am not wrong, there are in the hundreds or in the very low thousands.

Again, it's not cosmetic. I'd say it is of very low to no priority.
Re: **Mobility By Timkworth**-Pioneer Project#-MB 190e (W201) Restoration by Connoisseur(m): 3:30am On Sep 18, 2013
Definitely following

will pop in one of these days to check out the work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reverse gear issue When Engine Is Cold / Must Know Toyota Rav4 / Pls How Reliable Is The Chevrolet Optra Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.