Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,476 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem (40831 Views)

Changing Honda Rims To Alloy And Ball Joint Failure. / Cost Of Front control arm Ball Joint & Tie Rod Kits For BMW E36 1999 Series / Why The Size Mismatch Between Upper And Lower Radiator Hoses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Nobody: 11:29am On May 12, 2017
adanny01:

From your description, it was neither the upper nor lower arm. These two dont lead to change in direction of travel and the dont pull out on high speeds. I have experience it myself and my dad too.

Only the steering arm ball joint can change your direction leading to the kind of accident your friend had. This ball joint is present in every car that i know and can happen to any other car.

When it happens like that you cannot be 100% sure the ball pulled out. The nut holding down the joint could pull out from the bolt if not keyed or the thread of either nut or bolt could be worn and result to the same thing. A mechanic can forget to tie the nut and you would have the same thing.

The easiest thing for anyone to say is that the ball joint pull out which may not be the case.

My dads case was that of nut which pulled out of the worn bolt and a key wasnt in place. He went 30metres off road in the bush but was lucky there wasnt any obstruction. Most roadside mechanics dont replace those keys after working on these joints. It is now our principle to make sure they put keys even if there wasnt one during disassembly. We both never leave the mechanic to work on his own unobserved.
Hmmm you have been here a while...
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Nobody: 11:31am On May 12, 2017
Okijajuju1:

i beg to differ..

my 1986 honda accord pulled itd ball joint in the middle of an overtake at speeds reaching 100'km/hr.. luckily, i had no on coming vehicle and was able to somehow roll her off the road with my driver side tyre fully off its hinges..

i sold her a few months after..

this problem is common in old mercedes' and hondas..
Mercs don't pull.
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by adanny01(m): 5:24pm On May 13, 2017
SmartChoices:

Mercs don't pull.

I have seen Mercedes-Benz, Vw and Peugeot pull several times. In fact in toyota it affects 4runner most. Yes i have seen more in honda accord than any other car but have never seen on any Civic

1 Like

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Awoman(m): 2:05am On Aug 07, 2017
Please, does Honda accord 2009 have this ball joint ( tire pulling off) problem too?
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by adanny01(m): 10:42am On Aug 07, 2017
Awoman:
Please, does Honda accord 2009 have this ball joint ( tire pulling off) problem too?

Like i saw one.

However, its not a problem if you buy oem ball joint or even oem tokumbo.

Infact the 2009 should have less less of this ball joint issue because its own ball joint is way bigger to the previous ones. I have used my EoD for almost 5yrs now without changing this ball. My friends 08 accord has not shown sign of this ball joint for almost 3yrs now.

Those who do have problems i believe is from buying non oem new replacement part which is often substandard.
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by nams77: 10:28am On Jan 12, 2018
adanny01:

I have seen Mercedes-Benz, Vw and Peugeot pull several times. In fact in toyota it affects 4runner most. Yes i have seen more in honda accord than any other car but have never seen on any Civic
Does that mean that civics are not prone to such problems? Your response will be highly appreciated
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by temmym4(m): 8:31pm On Jan 30, 2018
Does the upper arm issue affect 2004 Accord (Discussion continues) too?
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by dbelovd(m): 10:07pm On Jan 31, 2018
nams77:

Does that mean that civics are not prone to such problems? Your response will be highly appreciated

The gurus in the house, pls we need answer to this o
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Nobody: 10:18am On Apr 29, 2018
Yes it does not affect Civic but affect mostly Honda accord till 2005 accord (EOD). It is not common in DC and upward ( Discussion Continue 2006-07 accord) pls note, it's not every time it gives sign before it happen.. I'm using honda baby boy, I noticed it only give sign if it is pulling off from the joint neck (your steering will be hard somehow) but mind you it doesn't give sign if the Nut remove or if the ball joint break from below.
dbelovd:

The gurus in the house, pls we need answer to this o
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by MrMcJay(m): 11:28pm On May 01, 2018
adanny01:

gorkonline:
Yes it does not affect Civic but affect mostly Honda accord till 2005 accord (EOD). It is not common in DC and upward ( Discussion Continue 2006-07 accord) pls note, it's not every time it gives sign before it happen.. I'm using honda baby boy, I noticed it only give sign if it is pulling off from the joint neck (your steering will be hard somehow) but mind you it doesn't give sign if the Nut remove or if the ball joint break from below.

nams77:

I use a 2006 Civic and the leg removed about 3 weeks ago. Mine was the first in a civic I ever saw and the irony was that I just left the mechanic's workshop where he checked all the joints of the vehicle.

Just turned the steering left left and the thing gave me k-leg. I actually wish I snapped a picture of it, I'll have uploaded it on a Honda forum where this is being discussed.
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by adanny01(m): 6:26am On May 02, 2018
MrMcJay:

I use a 2006 Civic and the leg removed about 3 weeks ago. Mine was the first in a civic I ever saw and the irony was that I just left the mechanic's workshop where he checked all the joints of the vehicle.

Just turned the steering left left and the thing gave me k-leg. I actually wish I snapped a picture of it, I'll have uploaded it on a Honda forum where this is being discussed.

The fact that i have never seen the k leg on a Civic does not mean its impossible. As a matter of fact, it can happen to any car.

I have recently seen it on a 2008 Toyota Camry, a car most people would think is immune. The only one i saw live yesterday is a Volkswagen Golf Mk3.

However, i know i have seen it more on Honda Accords, it has not happened to me or anyone i know using Honda. Besides, i'd blame myself not Honda since i know how i am managing some noise.
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by thebigkendo(m): 8:30am On May 02, 2018
adanny01:

The fact that i have never seen the k leg on a Civic does not mean its impossible. As a matter of fact, it can happen to any car.

I have recently seen it on a 2008 Toyota Camry, a car most people would think is immune. The only one i saw live yesterday is a Volkswagen Golf Mk3.

However, i know i have seen it more on Honda Accords, it has not happened to me or anyone i know using Honda. Besides, i'd blame myself not Honda since i know how i am managing some noise.

On my way to work this morning, sienna with bow leg grin grin grin

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by nams77: 8:43am On May 02, 2018
MrMcJay:

Thats really serious o
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Sunymoore(m): 10:52am On May 02, 2018
eejo:
I love honda car I been using mine for 2years now no problem the secret my mechanic told me is to avoid bad road, don't hit pot holes and most of all avoid too many T turns in towns
Kukuma don't drive the car at all... wink

4 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by ThatErha: 8:14am On Jun 15, 2018
MrMcJay:

My advice
change your mechanic.
Get a professional who knows what he is doing.
Don't use China parts, especially Chinese mechanical parts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) / Which Of These Two Vehicles Have A Better Interior? / Expatriate Arrested In Lagos For Disobeying Traffic Light, Using Illegal Siren

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.