Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,222 members, 7,957,512 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:52 PM

Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem (41390 Views)

Changing Honda Rims To Alloy And Ball Joint Failure. / Cost Of Front control arm Ball Joint & Tie Rod Kits For BMW E36 1999 Series / Why The Size Mismatch Between Upper And Lower Radiator Hoses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by elvis07: 8:57pm On Sep 20, 2013
I ve an 07 honda accord for close to 2yrs now, I ve never experrienced any of dis stuffs nd I pray nt to, bt all D̶̲̥̅̊ same I ve plans of checkin all dat nd my suspention nxt wk bt D̶̲̥̅̊ major prroblem is WHERE CAN I GET GOOD ND ORIGInAL HONDA PARTS FrOM der is alot of fake out der
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by cisplatin: 9:16pm On Sep 20, 2013
Car Talk is increasingly becoming one of the most informative and mature sections in Nairaland. Good topic and great comments. I'm learning.

5 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Biggybountz: 9:30pm On Sep 20, 2013
Quite an interesting topic. I am not a mechanic but u think I have got an idea on how to manage this problem. I used an Isuzu trooper and at some point it gave these squeaky noise as if metals are grinding when you turn your wheels especially to the extremes, I believe this is thesame problem these Honda products have got and the wheels will eventually pull apart.

Possible solution
Anyway I will share a solution that worked for me from my experience with my trooper.excuse my descriptions as I am not sure of what mechanical terms to use. If you take a look at the arms of your wheels, they seem to extend into a sort of joint (describe it as ball joint), at the point of this joint, there is a rubber protection which houses this joint, this rubber housing contains grease which lubricates the joint. Often time, cause of the Nigerian bad road, this rubber housing is very susceptible to wears and tears as they could easily rub against uneven bumps/gallops/soils on our roads. Also, the rubber has potentials of losing its elasticity after a long use (in other words, expiring). When this happens, this rubber tears, exposing the joint to debris/stones/ water and all sorts, also the grease in the housing meant for lubrication tends to excape through the rubber opening.

Therefore, the noise you hear when you turn you wheels is as a result of the materials that have gone into this housing, and also the grease loss which makes the joint susceptible to friction. After a long time, the friction and debris materials wear out the balls in the joint, and the balls tend to fall off, weakening the joint and making wheels pull apart eventually.

Having known this, I would normally check the rubber housing on my Isuzu trooper wheels every week to see if the rubbers are still in shape. If I notice any weakness I often take them off myself, put a new genuine rubber and equally grease the joints up. It worked for me and I never had such problem.

I think that joint is called shaft or something by the local mechanics.

Your mechanic won't teach you this cause your wheels pulling apart is their source of income, it was my mechanic who taught me to do this as we eventually really got close.

Just my idea which worked for me for several years. Thanks

5 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by colombiana: 9:37pm On Sep 20, 2013
Sleekydee:

Captain Dummy....the only cool tin abt u is ur user name.
thank you
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Nosyke(m): 9:39pm On Sep 20, 2013
One of the reasons why I love Nairaland. This question has always been on my mind. Thanks Op for bringing this question up.

2 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 20, 2013
Nairaland is always the best place to be as there so much to learn. Just reading this topic and beginning to understand why it has been difficult to sell a tokumbo Honda Accord 2003. I have reduced the price to N1.4m which is almost the landing cost and yet buyers are not coming forth.

3 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by adanny01(m): 10:09pm On Sep 20, 2013
One small check you can do yourself for ball joints on any car.

1. Jack up one of the front tyres making sure the tyre is completely off the ground while the other on the ground.
2. Squat facing the tyre.
3. Hold the tyre at left and right positions
4. Repeatedly shake the tyre in a left and right movement. Try to notice a gap.
5. Next, place your hands up and down and shake again while trying to notice a gap.

6. Repeat the process for the other tyre.

The same can be done for cars with rear upper arms. Though only up and down movement is applicable.

Any gap or movement means you need to visit your mechanic asap. Note, the tyre is not suppose to move at all in any direction.

A gap in the left/right shake means a steering associated problem while the other is for upper arm mostly. The lower ball joint hardly fails but it should never be neglected.

I have personally experienced the lower ball joint and rear upper arm pull out. My dad experienced steering arm ball joint, front and rear upper arms pull out. Pull out of steering ball joint is the one shown on the pic posted. Both are from driving Honda accord in a 15yr period

6 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by aodiki: 10:21pm On Sep 20, 2013
I currently use Honda Odyssey. I once used à Volkswagen Passat that one ball joint failed and the tire came off. I discussed it with my dad and he explained the signs of a bad ball joint, which I actually experienced before it failed. I have also changed tie rod for my Honda after I experienced signs of failure.
SIGNS
When ball joint is bad, There will be noise from the front suspension and momentary wave, usually to d side of d bad joint, when d car enters a bump.
When tie rods are bad, d steering becomes less precise, noise similar to that of ball joint and shaking of wheels when driving on bad roads.
These signs are not peculiar to Honda. Please have your suspension checked regularly every month if you drive on flooded roads or three months on better roads.

1 Like

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by lonelydora: 11:03pm On Sep 20, 2013
nylawal:

Toyota Production System (TPS) is a management model adopted for teaching management students in advanced countries, and the reason being that they are very meticulous in their manufacturing process. Therefore, the comparison between Toyota and Honda in terms of performance is miles apart. Toyota doesn't hesitate to recall a faulty product from the market; for instance they recalled Toyota camry 2008 (muscle) from the market when there were complaints of cruise control error (the only instance of recall; and was even discovered to be a footmat causing the problem). So when going for reliability; Toyota is the car. I stand to be corrected!

Yes, Toyota is a good product, agreed, but still comes with issues just like every other products. i wouldn't want to start naming issues for you here. As far as i am concerned, the only Toyota model i like is Corolla starting from 2010. Apart from that, Toyota is not an option for me. Forget about the Nigerian mentality about cars, mst people are wallowing in ignorance.

4 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by eightsin(m): 11:04pm On Sep 20, 2013
But i luv Honda products...wat am i going to do now I plan on saving up n getting a toks 07 accord soonest...
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by InvertedHammer: 11:14pm On Sep 20, 2013
/
There is no way around it.

First thing first, you are driving a car in an environment that is not suitable for it. The intention of Honda is never that their vehicles will be subjected to such abuses as seen on Nigeria roads.

Nigeria roads are made for Off-road reinforced vehicles. Oyibo people pay money to join Off-road clubs so that they can drive their
Off-road SUVs in roads that are similar to Nigeria roads.

Solution is to buy a vehicle with due consideration to the gully and potholes you will be subjecting the unlucky vehicle.

//

7 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by 677ano(m): 11:15pm On Sep 20, 2013
The truth is that Honda cars does not have these issues in Europe and America
have you considered that we have very bad roads in Nigeria also I do not see this as a design flaw
as these car go through a lot of safety tests before being accepted in Europe for sale.

Furthermore these parts are designed to be replaced after clocking certain mileage and there is the need to
adhere to the car manufacturer maintenance culture as stated in th vehicle manual/service books.

Most times the driving pattern of the vehicle owner contribute to the problems.
Honda is a very reliable vehicle though not in the league of the likes of Mercedes and BMWs which are rear wheel driven

In Europe vehicles are checked annually for road worthiness and they are expected to meet a certain level of maintenance
to be allowed on the road. If you fail to maintain a vehicle as at when due it is bound to fail you when least expected

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 20, 2013
I had similar problem with my Honda EOD last year December, the ball joint got removed some kilometers after Kabba while taking my fiancée to know my parents !
Chai , it was so embarrassing.
I had to fix a broken front wheel shaft about 4 months ago though it happened within the town.
I'm thinking of replacing it with Toyota Highlander soon.
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by elektra80: 11:48pm On Sep 20, 2013
aku626:
sure it can but its usually cheaper to fix it there as the parts are no expensive a ball joint can't be more than NGN2,500.00 upper hand NGN3,000( thats how much i bought mine for my civic)

If u are buying ball joint for N2.500 then be rest assured its fake and won't last. Endeavour to buy original bann joints. Even the mechanics know the fake ones fro OEM ones. OEM Ball joint does not cost less than N7,000 . Could be costlier though depending.

3 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by AMvanquish: 12:51am On Sep 21, 2013
Iv Noticed this issues numerous times in the past with honda's on higways! Esp the 03 to date versions. One of the reasons i went for a Toyota Instead.
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Nobody: 2:00am On Sep 21, 2013
sammy-young:
Am a car dealer, who has Honda cars in stock.........abeg, make una no spoil market ooo

Honda has got cool interior designs and Gadgets while Toyota could be for rigidity......the question is, what is the purpose of owning a car in the first place!!!
i disagree. nissan seems to have the finest interiors for their altima and maxima cars...very appealing

3 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by sydlak: 2:20am On Sep 21, 2013
I started with an honda (ALLAH) '91 ; Graduated to Bullet(98) and to baby boy ('02) and then to discussion continues ('06) before my camry '07; Never had any of these pbs with them. I guess it's the so-called Management culture and care free attitudes that leads to all this complaints about the ball joints, lower and upper arms. I never changed any linkages except for the ALLAH... Neither did I change any ball joint, but I changed Numerous Upper and Lower arms... Whenever I hear a creaky sound, I am off to the mech to get it fixed, I don't even think twice; My advice is that, drive your Honda(Cars) as if it is a part of you, then you will know when something is wrong and God willing I am going back to my Honda, I think Camry is for old people. I still have my Baby boy (02); And whenever I get behind those wheels, I just think Camry is not meant for me, Damn!! It's a hot ride and I can never forget my DC (06) because the stability is damn too hot: The 07' Camry is not bad though, But I still prefer my '06 Accord to it.. To me Honda Accord rules compared to Toyota Camry

8 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by spikesC(m): 3:28am On Sep 21, 2013
Also, learn to fix certain problems. Ball joints is one of them problems that occurs unknowingly and can be very disgraceful.

I know how to fix mine. with a 17 spanner, i should be ready to go within 20 to 30 minutes.

Even with the problems of Honda, i still prefer my Honda Accord 1990 model (Hala) to my Peugeot 406.
The ruggedity too badt cool

3 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Nobody: 3:40am On Sep 21, 2013
Honda is the best and would remain so.

The suspension would never pull out without at least one little sign buy most drivers fails to pay attention to little details.

After every 2 months, i get my car axle checked cos its better to prevent than to cure. The kind of embarrassment you'ld suffer on 3rd mainland bridge if f4k up happens would be very bad.

how much are we talking about? less than 5k. ball joint, tie rod arms stabilizer linkage etc can ne replaced easily in 2 hrs.

lastly, u need specialized honda mechanics and not all mechanics that fix toyota would be able yo fix accord.

i started with 86, 90 94 96 98 00 05 to evil spirit and crosstour 2010

Honda till Jesus teturns

4 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Boss13: 6:11am On Sep 21, 2013
Guys this is a very serious issue. My colleague just got a Honda Accord (evil spirit) a few months ago. Recently, he was involved in an accident. The ball joint pulled off and he lost control, ran into a guy fixing his tyres by the road side, collided with the guy and his vehicle. The victim is dead. My colleague got arrested by the police. It took God and the kind heart of the deceased to let the matter die down. Else, he would be in prison for manslaughter. Though he was in jail for a few week.

After that experience (because I went to the police station too), I swore not to buy a Honda product. For the Honda users, take out time to note any defect and be quick to fix it. It was truly an ugly experience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 21, 2013
The problem highlighted happens more readily if the honda car is raised mechanically to get a better ground clearance as almost all honda cars have very low ground clearance. In raising an honda car by adjusting some bolts,higher pressure is placed on the ball joint and upper arm causing them to fail or crack. Rough roads also exert undue pressure on the jointand arm causing them to fail easily. If the car's ground clearance is not tampered with and the driving is frequently done on very smooth roads,this issue may never be experienced at all but where can one drive frequently on smooth roads in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by spikesC(m): 8:28am On Sep 21, 2013
Boss13: Guys this is a very serious issue. My colleague just got a Honda Accord (evil spirit) a few months ago. Recently, he was involved in an accident. The ball joint pulled off and he lost control, ran into a guy fixing his tyres by the road side, collided with the guy and his vehicle. The victim is dead. My colleague got arrested by the police. It took God and the kind heart of the deceased to let the matter die down. Else, he would be in prison for manslaughter. Though he was in jail for a few week.

After that experience (because I went to the police station too), I swore not to buy a Honda product. For the Honda users, take out time to note any defect and be quick to fix it. It was truly an ugly experience.

Are you sure it's the ball joint.
Ball joints don't pull off on high speeds because your tires will be straight.
Even if it does, the car will brake automatically by itself due to friction, and yes, you can even apply brakes too.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by spikesC(m): 8:38am On Sep 21, 2013
nugeseda: The problem highlighted happens more readily if the honda car is raised mechanically to get a better ground clearance as almost all honda cars have very low ground clearance. In raising an honda car by adjusting some bolts,higher pressure is placed on the ball joint and upper arm causing them to fail or crack. Rough roads also exert undue pressure on the jointand arm causing them to fail easily. If the car's ground clearance is not tampered with and the driving is frequently done on very smooth roads,this issue may never be experienced at all but where can one drive frequently on smooth roads in Nigeria?

Most people just assume the symptoms of ball joint pull offs. Pls, raising a car up will never affect the ball joints.
Besides, it is not everyone that raises there cars

2 Likes

Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Boss13: 9:37am On Sep 21, 2013
spikes C:

Ball joints does not pull off on high speeds because your tires will be straight.
Even if it does, the car will brake automatically by itself due to friction, and yes, you can even apply brakes too.
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Boss13: 9:40am On Sep 21, 2013
spikes C:

Ball joints does not pull off on high speeds because your tires will be straight.

His car is still @ the police station. Do you want the address? Mtshweee NLanders' and their "Doubting Thomas Syndrome".
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Ogadtop(m): 12:01pm On Sep 21, 2013
Bantino: That problem is more frequent on CRV (i don't know abt the latest versions). @op, the sign preceeding the pull proper does not happen in a split second, you start by hearing some noise when steer almost full, when you're negotiating from one street to another, then after sometime, the front wheels will start wobbling little by little till it pulls.

The ways to avoid this is to ensure that you check your car out once you start noticing something strange or hear any unusual noise. Don't let it detoriate before fixing it.
Learn to drive your car yourself for you to notice any changes on time, if you're fond of giving everyone your car, this might happen.
Always do your alignment and ensure that they help you check those parts when your car is on the pit.
Most importantly, drive carefully!!!
how many comercial vehicles do all these checing u are talking about on their various brands of vehicle? how many of them do have ball joint issues compared to honda? honda has ball joint design flaw.thats what we are saying
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by malawian0000001: 12:26pm On Sep 21, 2013
pls everyone, does honda element have these problems?
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Plutonium(m): 12:33pm On Sep 21, 2013
My front wheel just pull.....un4kingbelievable....honda 05
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by adanny01(m): 1:02pm On Sep 21, 2013
Boss13:

His car is still @ the police station. Do you want the address? Mtshweee NLanders' and their "Doubting Thomas Syndrome".

From your description, it was neither the upper nor lower arm. These two dont lead to change in direction of travel and the dont pull out on high speeds. I have experience it myself and my dad too.

Only the steering arm ball joint can change your direction leading to the kind of accident your friend had. This ball joint is present in every car that i know and can happen to any other car.

When it happens like that you cannot be 100% sure the ball pulled out. The nut holding down the joint could pull out from the bolt if not keyed or the thread of either nut or bolt could be worn and result to the same thing. A mechanic can forget to tie the nut and you would have the same thing.

The easiest thing for anyone to say is that the ball joint pull out which may not be the case.

My dads case was that of nut which pulled out of the worn bolt and a key wasnt in place. He went 30metres off road in the bush but was lucky there wasnt any obstruction. Most roadside mechanics dont replace those keys after working on these joints. It is now our principle to make sure they put keys even if there wasnt one during disassembly. We both never leave the mechanic to work on his own unobserved.
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by spikesC(m): 1:11pm On Sep 21, 2013
adanny01:

From your description, it was neither the upper nor lower arm. These two dont lead to change in direction of travel and the dont pull out on high speeds. I have experience it myself and my dad too.

Only the steering arm ball joint can change your direction leading to the kind of accident your friend had. This ball joint is present in every car that i know and can happen to any other car.

When it happens like that you cannot be 100% sure the ball pulled out. The nut holding down the joint could pull out from the bolt if not keyed or the thread of either nut or bolt could be worn and result to the same thing. A mechanic can forget to tie the nut and you would have the same thing.

The easiest thing for anyone to say is that the ball joint pull out which may not be the case.

My dads case was that of nut which pulled out of the worn bolt and a key wasnt in place. He went 30metres off road in the bush but was lucky there wasnt any obstruction. Most roadside mechanics dont replace those keys after working on these joints. It is now our principle to make sure they put keys even if there wasnt one during disassembly. We both never leave the mechanic to work on his own unobserved.

Thank you, i didn't want to argue.
I can never explain how much and how long me and honda don dey.

The problem i always have is the steering joint, most ppl always misplace it with the arms.
Even the down bolt joint will not steer you that much towards the bush
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by chucky234(m): 1:45pm On Sep 21, 2013
sydlak: I started with an honda (ALLAH) '91 ; Graduated to Bullet(98) and to baby boy ('02) and then to discussion continues ('06) before my camry '07; Never had any of these pbs with them. I guess it's the so-called Management culture and care free attitudes that leads to all this complaints about the ball joints, lower and upper arms. I never changed any linkages except for the ALLAH... Neither did I change any ball joint, but I changed Numerous Upper and Lower arms... Whenever I hear a creaky sound, I am off to the mech to get it fixed, I don't even think twice; My advice is that, drive your Honda(Cars) as if it is a part of you, then you will know when something is wrong and God willing I am going back to my Honda, I think Camry is for old people. I still have my Baby boy (02); And whenever I get behind those wheels, I just think Camry is not meant for me, Damn!! It's a hot ride and I can never forget my DC (06) because the stability is damn too hot: The 07' Camry is not bad though, But I still prefer my '06 Accord to it.. To me Honda Accord rules compared to Toyota Camry
Seem you were reading my mind,I owned 07 corolla but love my Honda to a fault.
Had a 99 Honda legend and its was clearly on a league of its own,toyota's blank interior is a huge turn off for me.
Re: Honda Ball Joints And Upper Arms Problem by Nobody: 2:33pm On Sep 21, 2013
lonelydora: Usually it does not pull out on high speed or on a smooth road, but on a rough road at slow movement. But always buy OEM parts and forget about cheap parts. I own an accord and always travel with it across the country, no issues at all. Have gone from PH to Kebbi with my accord.

Toyota comes with it's own issues.

No model of car is superior over another, it depends on your maintenance culture.

I may agree with the above partially. I have never seen one pull out on high speed.

I used to own a honda (my first car), very luxurious but with issues. Toyota is by far a better car maker (reliable and guarantees peace of mind).

I recently saw a clean EOD with the front tyre pulled out, i was ashamed for the car....

It doesnt give any sign before doing that. Toyota is the car that gives signs before any shiyt happens...

As for superiority, cars are superior to others ... A volkswagen is better than a toyota, while a toyota is better than a honda. Quote me...

But what a car loses in reliability, it may gain in luxury...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Overloaded Vehicle Arrested By Officials In Zamfara. Photos / New Mercedes Benz G63 Burnt In Lagos (Photos) / PHOTOS: Popular Abu Made Car Being Towed with Another Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.