Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? (18145 Views)

Successful Women Have Plenty Men In Their Lives / My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? / Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by joseph1832(m): 7:07pm On Sep 23, 2013
Variety, they say is the spice of life. Of course their are many fishes in the river, but the trick is finding "that" very fish in the river.

1 Like

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Xano(m): 7:11pm On Sep 23, 2013
El Guapo: I doubt if i've ever used that stale line ''Many fishes in the Ocean''.

We've all got our view with regard to choosing a partner and i tell you many of us are of the opinion that the 'ocean' has ran short of edible fishes.

A good fish doesnt last long in the ocean, they're edible and are prime candidate for consumption, so they're hunted eachday and taken to diverse homes.

As it stands, there are few 'edible' fishes in the ocean, those tides are now filled with Sharks [Runs gals] and Stonefishes [Unambitious gals] cheesy
Thank you.
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2013
spikes C:

Pardon me but i don't share the same opinion as you do. Your theory is quite logical but still a fallacy. If faced with a little opposition, it will definitely fail.

Women hustle these days more than before. If we follow ur theory, it will be proved that as men die frequently out of hustling, we'll have more widows (and even single women) who have to hustle to make ends meet.

Women go to wars, and yes, they die. They roam jails, there should be approximately more lesbians than gay men (out of experience).

Women do wait for rich men to come, and most men these days look for educated women.

The only undeniable fact in this argument is that our society and nature has made women more ready to get married than men which in turn has made women vulnerable as they would do any thing to tie a man down.

Therefore, the notion that there are so many fishes in the ocean still remain TRUE cool

And there I was thinking applied sciences was tough. This write up is confusing.

2 Likes

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by mrtidy(m): 7:21pm On Sep 23, 2013
dayokanu: I tend to agree that there are more eligible women than men. Maybe this is where the assertion comes from

e.g if 10 boys and 10 girls were born

--------------------------------------------------------
On the men side

1 might have died in hustle e.g trekking to Europe, car racing, Peddling drugs, Oil bunkering and other high risk stuff men engage in

1 might have died in war or street violence

1 might be in jail.

1 might be GAYY

1 might think he needs to acquire the whole world before he marries since he doesnt have a biological clock

1 might just be an eternal playboy who think he is Gods gift to ALL women

1 might just be a bum who wouldnt work or get an education and just laze around which many women dont find attractive

Leaving the pool of eligible men with just 3 guys
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the female side

-Women dont die as much because they naturally avoid high risk ventures.
-Dont go to war and dont do gangsterism,
-They dont go to jail as much,
-The notion of the biological clock puts a time pressure on them
-The society frowns at "Playgirls" as against playboys
-Most cultures dont expect much economic power from the woman so even a woman without 1 Naira sees herself as eligible unlike a man who might not be economically eligible even with 5million in his account

Therefore we might still have 7-8 eligible women

So ratio 3:7

Though its without proof but it makes a lot of sense.....nice
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by trolling(m): 7:24pm On Sep 23, 2013
No be we do am, na God do am and yes una plenty like water or why do you think seven women to a man in the future, make I add Scriptures for una
Jeremiah 31:22 KJV
How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the Lord hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman shall compass a man.

1 Like

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by spikesC(m): 7:25pm On Sep 23, 2013
A-town:

And there I was thinking applied sciences was tough. This write up is confusing.

You're a confused fellow wink
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Sep 23, 2013
dayokanu: I tend to agree that there are more eligible women than men. Maybe this is where the assertion comes from

On the men side

1 might have died in hustle e.g trekking to Europe, car racing, Peddling drugs, Oil bunkering and other high risk stuff men engage in

1 might be in jail.

1 might be GAYY

1 might think he needs to acquire the whole world before he marries since he doesnt have a biological clock

1 might just be a bum who wouldnt work or get an education and just laze around which many women dont find attractive

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the female side

-Most cultures dont expect much economic power from the woman so even a woman without 1 Naira sees herself as eligible unlike a man who might not be economically eligible even with 5million in his account

You did a good analysis of the topicsmiley

To add to what u already said...

I think nature also cheated women in this regard and women also contributed in cheating themselves more, how?

1. A guy of 40yrs old for instance, has a wide range of ladies/girls to marry or date.

In fact, a guy of 40yrs is a favourite for ladies of all ages ranging from: 18yrs and above...

Real life happenings have also showed that, the older a man grows, the sexier and better ladies value him for relationship/marriage unlike women.

Now for ladies, they can hardly date/marry a man that's younger than they are; very few do that and very rare, and society also doesn't always cheer it.

A lady of 35yrs old for instance, is only expected to date/marry men of 35yrs and above...thereby limiting her chances and pool of men to chose from.

Now, how did ladies contribute to their disadvantage on this topic?

Generally, ladies can never date/marry down. How do I mean?

A lady earning say, $1,000 a month can hardly or never date/marry a guy earning below $400 a month, its very rare to come by and before a lady does that, she must have exhausted all her choices.

Now, majority of men of marriageable age earn below $1,000 a month, therefore, any lady earning $1,000 and above a month will intentionally limit her option of men and also reduce the number of men she can chose from because she doesn't want to date down, she will only dream/desire to date men earning above her, which in reality are in scarcity nowadays.

All these makes me wonder if polygamy is the best solution to ensure all women who wishes to marry gets married....

Just wondering cos with the facts and figures on ground, not every single lady who wishes to marry will find a husband cos ladies of marriageable age have limited option of men, and young widowed ladies also adds to the increased figure of available ladies waiting to be married.

7 Likes

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by anitank(f): 7:38pm On Sep 23, 2013
thorpido: Yes there's a lot of fish in the sea and a lot of men want to fool around because of that.

Some in the process have ended up with an Octopus or mammywater.
Lmao grin
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 23, 2013
But in as much as there are more ready and marriageable single women than single men in our society, I don't think most single guys in Nigeria for instance, believe that THERE ARE PLENTY FISHES IN THE RIVER...only school boys believe that...in fact, its contrary...cos majority of matured and men of marriageable age believe that:

THERE IS LITTLE/NO GOOD/EDIBLE FISH IN THE RIVER TODAY

...reason u still see plenty ready/men of marriageable age still single and not even in any committed relationship.

In conclusion, I would advice the single ladies reading this never to allow this statement worry or bother them, instead, they should strive to make themselves women of virtue...dependable soulmates, helpers, respectful and humble mates...and quit looking only at men at the top, but rather seek for great potential/companionship/honesty/ambition and most importantly, God's direction than basing their choices on what they see, what society promotes as ideal man and what their friends classifies as eligible bachelor.

6 Likes

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by caesare: 7:39pm On Sep 23, 2013
claremont: It is true that there are many fishes in the sea, but the real question is how many of these fishes are actually edible?! Most of the so-called fishes in the sea are the leftovers from many a harvest, they are not worth wasting time deploying a hook. My candid view though is to deploy a net rather than a hook, when we have caught a large number of fishes, we can sit down and select an edible one out of the lot.
correct !!! abeg chop knuckle

1 Like

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 23, 2013
Double post
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Daresh(f): 7:55pm On Sep 23, 2013
Vivax511: . Hmmm, state ur statistics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sex_ratio

101 males to 100 females. That's a lot when you calculate for 7 billion people.
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by maximunimpact(m): 7:56pm On Sep 23, 2013
Maximus85: As for me, there's only one fish in the ocean and I have her, I will never let her go. If I lose her, (God forbid) then the ocean will be empty.

Some men are just crazy.

U ar a dumb egg head.......so because one grl is shackin u like ogogoro dats y some men are crasy? Don't worry soon u will open up a thread tittled: ''pls help, am heartbroken, hw can I survive'' goodluck though.

2 Likes

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by zynzyn(m): 7:59pm On Sep 23, 2013
The many fish idea is an illusion whether for men or women.

Whoever u are, there is likely only a narrow spectrum of personality types you can be happy with for life in marriage.

1 Like

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Sep 23, 2013
Daresh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sex_ratio

101 males to 100 females. That's a lot when you calculate for 7 billion people.
Statistically, you maybe right when u base it on global population. But if u limit your statistical study within Nigeria alone, it will be wrong, in the sense that:

1. We have no accurate figure of Nigeria's population. And we have no accurate record of male and female deaths in Nigeria too...but from our own human record/perspective, more men die than women.

There are high number of widowed ladies in Nigeria if u don't know, reason ladies should strive to give their husbands peace of mind.

More Nigerian men die before their wives...if u doubt me, start today to take a statistical record and see...

Many Nigerian husbands die in accident, some in office fight/war, some die while dragging/contesting for posts and ranks, more die in crime (robbery, kidnapping, boko haram, drug-related offences, etc), land disputes, peace-keeping missions, of course we have less Nigerian women in combat military and less do engage in land dispute.

Male children are the target of family enemies in every Nigerian family setting, I am sure u won't deny that fact.

More Nigerian women are possessed with evil/demonic husband spirits. Some analyst say its cos of their numerous intimate indulgences with men of all manners, including men with diabolical powers...

And these demonic/spirit husbands always surface once they marry, and start to worry their husbands as soon as they get married, and most times, these demonic spirits most Nigerian ladies possess before marriage do kill or cause the early deaths of their husbands, leaving more married women in Nigeria without husband.

Again, like I stated in my previous points above, a single lady of say 30yrs can never, very rare, date or marry a guy of 25yrs...she can only date/marry men of 30yrs and above...hence, she has intentionally limited her option of men.

Again, a Nigerian single lady earning say, $1,000 a month can never, very rare, date or marry a single guy earning below $500 a month, and majority of single guys of marriageable age in Nigeria today earn below $500 a month, while more are unemployed.

Now, a Nigerian single lady earning say $500 or $1,000 a month has again limited her option of men due to the fact that she cannot date down...she wants to date up, to maintain a high class, to please her friends, her colleagues and her society.

In conclusion, all the above factors put together makes it true that there are more marriageable women in Nigeria than marriageable men.

Let every wise lady use her wisdom and not what her friends/society says.

3 Likes

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Orikinla(m): 8:15pm On Sep 23, 2013
But not all the fish are good for consumption.
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by spikesC(m): 8:20pm On Sep 23, 2013
DailyNews: Statistically, you maybe right when u base it on global population. But if u limit your statistical study within Nigeria alone, it will be wrong, in the sense that:

1. We have no accurate figure of Nigeria's population. And we have no accurate record of male and female deaths in Nigeria too...but from our own human record/perspective, more men die than women.

There are high number of widowed ladies in Nigeria if u don't know, reason ladies should strive to give their husbands peace of mind.

Some Nigerian husbands die in accident, some in office fight while dragging/contesting for posts and ranks, more die in crime (robber, kidnapping, boko haram, drug-related offences, etc).

Male children are the target of family enemies in every Nigerian family setting, I am sure u won't deny that fact.

More Nigerian women are possessed with evil/demonic husband spirits that always worry their husbands as soon as they get married, and most times, these demonic spirits most Nigerian ladies possess before marriage do kill or cause the early deaths of their husbands, leaving more married women in Nigeria without husband.

Again, like I stated in my previous points above, a single lady of say 30yrs can never, very rare, date or marry a guy of 25yrs...she can only date/marry men of 30yrs and above...hence, she has intentionally limited her option of men.

Again, a Nigerian single lady earning say, $1,000 a month can never, very rare, date or marry a single guy earning below $500 a month, and majority of single guys of marriageable age in Nigeria today earn below $500 a month, while more are unemployed.

Now, a Nigerian single lady earning say $500 or $1,000 a month has again limited her option of men due to the fact that she cannot date down...she wants to date up, to maintain a high class, to please her friends, her colleagues and her society.

In conclusion, all the above factors put together makes it true that there are more marriageable women in Nigeria than marriageable men.

Let every wise lady use her wisdom and not what her friends/society says.

You just dey talk nonsense sad

DailyRubbishNews

1 Like

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Sep 23, 2013
spikes C:

You just dey talk nonsense sad

DailyRubbishNews
Okay sir. That's my own opinion sir. Thankssmiley
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by 2tek: 8:27pm On Sep 23, 2013

On the men side

1 might be in jail.

1 might be GAYY

On the female side

Even before birth, d female (X) chromosome travels faster than d male (Y) chromosome , so it gets fertilized faster,hence more female babies are born.
Also d male (Y) chromosome is more likely to experience miscarriage.
This explains why most families have more female children.
My neighbour has 6 children - ALL FEMALE. THey kept on having children in d hope of getting a male child.

2 Likes

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 23, 2013
When you find that special one, you will discover that there is only one fish in the ocean. You don't wanna fish no more.

2 Likes

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 23, 2013
Nuzo':
Kind of true!

Statistically, they are more men than women in the world today. However, a lot of factors leave women with little choose of men.

1. Culture/religion: most culture and religion around the world have in one way or the other confined women to the background. Women are made to believe that their role is inside the house. They've been made to believe that they are weak, nothing, worthless and with no choice. Most grow believing this.

2. Natural factor: women tend to age quickly, thereby try as much as possible to score a man of her own before its too late. And when they score, they jealously guard it.

3. Pregnancy: This period of 9 months takes a toll on women as they become unattractive within this period.

4. Family: Women are easily emotionally attached...and thereby family oriented. Men can abandon his 5 kids and pregnant wife just for a worthless woman. Women hardly do this.

However, in China; the reverse is the case. Men worship their. Women for fear of not scoring another woman.
Its estimated that by 2025, women in China would have about 10 men to choose from

Have you ever ask yourself why this is so in China?

China, both indirectly and directly, controlled their population growth by offering incentives such as reduced tax burden, free access to some services, better medicare and so on to families having only a child.

But the Chinese culture places premium on male children. With the advances recorded in Medicine, the sex of a baby desired can be pre-determined. Pregnancies that are female are simply terminated. This way they enjoy the government incentives and have their desire child.

This also contributes to the increase in kidnapping of female children from rural china.

3 Likes

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Ngokafor(f): 9:00pm On Sep 23, 2013
....yeah they sure are obsessed with that phrase...unfortunately most do their fishing in shark-infested waters and yet are clueless to why they end up with sharks.

1 Like

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Dannylux: 9:08pm On Sep 23, 2013
YES, because a man-LovePeddler is more acceptable than a female.

LOGIC.
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by emelu(m): 9:23pm On Sep 23, 2013
A bleepable congo at hand is worth two in d bush!
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Sep 23, 2013
deols: but not all fish are the same. Some are smelly, rotten, diseased. A few are golden.

Not to mention the stingrays.

1 Like

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nuzo1(m): 9:41pm On Sep 23, 2013
kingphemy:

Have you ever ask yourself why this is so in China?

China, both indirectly and directly, controlled their population growth by offering incentives such as reduced tax burden, free access to some services, better medicare and so on to families having only a child.

But the Chinese culture places premium on male children. With the advances recorded in Medicine, the sex of a baby desired can be pre-determined. Pregnancies that are female are simply terminated. This way they enjoy the government incentives and have their desire child.

This also contributes to the increase in kidnapping of female children from rural china.

I very well know this. I used the example as an exception to the popular believe that all men of all culture nurture the idea of "many fishes in the sea".
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Sagamite(m): 9:47pm On Sep 23, 2013
money121: WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?
Most men have this notion that there are tons of women aroundthey could access so cheap. And yes, it definitely affects guy's commitment levels and their propensity to commit with one woman.
The other thing worth pointing out here is that while men seem pre- occupied with the idea that there are plenty of fish in the sea ? women do this too, plenty of guys in the world. Most times you don’t see a lot of women doing it or at least promoting it because they’re a smaller subset of their gender than the amount of men who do it.
Women typically put off a significant commitment for similar reasons as men;

continue reading click here >>

http://www./2013/09/are-men-obsessed-with-idea-there-are.html#more

Well, I do it.

I believe never waste your life with any one being an ediot.

I move on to alternatives asap.

I always have back-up. Call me a cheat, that na you and your village palava!

2 Likes

Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Sagamite(m): 9:50pm On Sep 23, 2013

On the men side

1 might be in jail.

1 might be GAYY

On the female side

Well said, negro! grin
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 23, 2013
Nuzo':

I very well know this. I used the example as an exception to the popular believe that all men of all culture nurture the idea of "many fishes in the sea".

How can this be an exception when it is nothing but a paradox?

If things are allow to be naturally, China wouldn't be an exception.

I do agree with you that not all culture nurture the idea of "many fishes in the sea" though.
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by kflexxy(m): 10:05pm On Sep 23, 2013
That's their mindset..
Re: Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? by Reference(m): 10:38pm On Sep 23, 2013
Hmm. Fish tank kings.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Female Bankers How Do You Cope With Your Husbands? / How Did You Handle Debtors Without Turning To Enemies? / Five Ways To Teach Your Kids Table Manners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.