Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. (6323 Views)

Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. / GEJ Trekker, OladeleNihi Involved In Accident (Photos) / Lokoja-Abuja Road Traffic Holdup: Worst Ever! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. by nekaa(f): 5:44am On Sep 23, 2013
Cpr ke? Na so...
Re: Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. by Okijajuju1(m): 8:07am On Sep 23, 2013
[b]On my drive from Port-harcourt to Lagos 2 months ago, I came across an acccident scene involving about 4 Trailers and one small car.. On first visual assessment, I was able to tell that everyone inside the small car were dead for certain as the trailer was comfortable parked ontop of the car.
I didnt stop though.. There were so many people at the scene already so I felt my help wasnt needed. Plus the location of the accident, was a potential accident spot with more waiting to happen as there were no warning signs up ahead nor behind.. Though I have been properly trained to carry out 'FIRST-AID' abroad, I also realized that there was nothing I could do at that scene so I poured me a glass of schinapps, poured some libation in respect for the dead, drank up the remaining & drove off..

Fast Forward to last week..

I saw a car buring in front of my house on Oniru road, I saw people coming out and blasting it with there fire extinguishers.. I was gonna stop and go help with my fire extinguisher which is rather big, But I changed my mind.. What if I go and empty my Fire extinguisher trying to put out this blaze, only for FRSC or Mobile Court to catch me on Ajose and see that my extinguisher is empty, I doubt they will understand that I just emptied it trying to help a fellow Nigerian in need.. angry[/b]
Re: Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. by KOMBE: 8:51am On Sep 23, 2013
Last year, I saw a truck that ran inside the bush along east west road and I convinced the driver of our bus to stop though he didn't like. To be sincere with you I am one person that hates seeing blood but I played the part of convincing others to help them out while we blocked the road and forced another truck to pull out the vehicle. It was so exciting saving these lives that would have been lost forever if I hadn't taken the bold step. We should never miss the opportunity of being used by God to bring succor to someone in need of help as there is so much blessing attached to it. GOD WILL ALWAYS SEND YOU A HELP IN TIMES OF DIFFICULTY IF YOU ALSO MAKE YOURSELF AVAILABLE TO HELP OTHERS.
Re: Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. by munky(m): 8:54am On Sep 23, 2013
Please victims are not engaged in road accidents. Victims are involved in road accidents.

1 Like

Re: Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. by rodgers: 9:03am On Sep 23, 2013
I once helped an accident victim but it was not a pleasant experience. I wa accompanied by a police man to Igando General Hospital. Despite the situation of the man, who was covered in blood and was breathing with difficulty, no medical personnel their attended to him. All they were saying was "no bed to put him" and we were told to take him to Ikeja General hospital from there without applying any first aid to him.

I had my 3 year old son with me in the car and I know it was not a good sight for him, and there was no where I could keep him, so I couldn't drive him down

The policeman called his superior who asked us to bring the man back to the scene and they later organised a taxi to take him down to Ikeja General Hospital.

I became pissed off with the inhuman attitude of our medical personnels working in public hospitals.
Re: Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. by JayCee2010: 9:30am On Sep 23, 2013
As the one responsible for this post, I must confess that I have never had the privilege (and yes, it is a privilege) to offer help- either I arrive at the scene when there is already a large crowd (whether most of them are there to help or not, only God knows), or when all the victims have already been taken away-alive or not.

But if I did witness one where the victims where still there, I can't 100% be sure that I would stop due to fears that some of you already mentioned: police harassment, robbery attempt, hospitals not willing to assist, among others.

I guess that is what being a true Christian (or Muslim, or whatever religion you believe in) is all about: putting yourself in a position of inconvenience for the sake of others- and not necessarily occupying front row seats at service, speaking gibberish - calling it 'tongues', paying tithes to clear the conscience from ill-gotten money and joining all church societies.

My prayer is that, if ever I'm in such a situation, God will give me a compassionate spirit to help rather than make excuses, knowing that I too would want to be helped if I were ever a victim.

1 Like

Re: Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 23, 2013
Yes I do. People stopped when It happened to me
Re: Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. by Myself2(m): 10:41am On Sep 23, 2013
@ OP

Why did you re-caption the thread topic on the front page?
What do you mean by "people engaged in road accidents",please revert to the original caption by the OP abeg
Re: Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. by legendprac(m): 11:42am On Sep 23, 2013
Have helped and felt good about it......
That day, I saw d attitude of nigerians and especially doctors... Nigerian doctors are something else....

They asked me to pay for everything, card, injections,drugs, tissue, disinfectants, even needle before they could touch someone that was losing blood n dying.....

As for nigerians, in as much as I understand the 'police turning it against you' angle, that day, when I arrived d scene of the accident I saw how cold blooded we can be, ppl just gathered, shouting 'ewoo' and others taking shots on their phones, while d victims were dying..one died a few seconds after I got to d scene..
I took one to the hospital and told my frnds that were in d car wit me to stop other cars so dat they will help the others.... Thank God no other person died...

But I think we shouldn't overlook the 'police angle', because I wouldn't wanna be locked up because I helped someone..... So, government should either make emergency numbers and units functional or make sure police doesn't detain ppl dat help accident victims...

Finally, anytime I see an accident scene, I ask myself, WHAT IF SOMEONE I KNOW IS INVOLVED, that makes me stop

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Spends $2.5bn Annually On Aircraft Maintenance Overseas / Canada "aduro Overseas" Process / From Lagos (ogba) To Kogi (kabba)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.