Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,922 members, 7,817,702 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? (2559 Views)

Should Nigeria Continue With Federalism Or Should We Switch To Confederalism? / Yoruba Leaders Insist On True Federalism- SS/biafra's False Impression debunked / Aguiyi-ironsi Killed True Federalism In Nigeria, Says Ishola Williams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by Dejiro(m): 5:33pm On Sep 22, 2013
It is no secret that the South East advocates for ‘Confederacy’, the South West‘ is routing for True Federalism’ and the South South is gunning for ‘Resource Control’.
My research revealed the following;

Confederation
A political system in which political units unite for common action permanently is called Confederation Units of confederation often adopt a common constitution and they have same currency, foreign policy and defense system. In this system, central government provides support to all units. Confederation word is also used in meanings other than political. Sports confederations are common all over the world.

Federalism
Federalism is another political concept in which units are bound and important matters are governed by the representative head. In this system sovereignty is divided among the provinces or states and central governing authority. European federalism and Canadian federalism are famous all over the world.

Conclusion
I didn’t find much difference in either of these two and either guarantees resource control and limits the chances of corruption.
Why then is the South East, South West and South South advocating differently?
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by IGBOSON1: 6:04pm On Sep 22, 2013
So what does the north (core and middle-belt) want? They're part of Nigeria as well aren't they?
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by Dejiro(m): 6:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
We are already practising what they want; Unitary Government. The only problem is that it doesn't seems to have taken us anywhere.
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by badmeat(m): 8:59pm On Sep 22, 2013
I think the American model of Govt is the best,every state will develop at its paste,generate their own revenue n tap their resources both natural n human!and pay to the govt @ d centre,and also make their Laws,so dat if I feel like to do bizness in the north I will abide by sharia law and if I dnt like it I stay off,because we can't say we r running a unitary Govt,where if I drink beer in lagos the revenue gotten will be given to kano 44 LG areas that prohibits the sale of alcohol!where every is free to worship what one like even if its my car,but churches r bombed in the north becos some element wants an islamic state!

4 Likes

Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by PehaKaso: 9:23pm On Sep 22, 2013
Finally d much awaited SNC takes off on Nairaland! Hey, 2 d roundtable peeps! Lets discuss d fate of Nigeria here. I hereby declare d SNC open!
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by PehaKaso: 9:28pm On Sep 22, 2013
Pls can d Mods concerned move dis thread 2 d front page? Awwww...............it's about time
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by tomakint: 10:46pm On Sep 22, 2013
Trust me the three (Confederacy, True Federalism and Resource Control) work hand-in-hand and this is what each of the six geopolitical zone needs to forge ahead! Southwest, Southeast, South-south, Northwest, Northeast and Northcentral needs internal confederacy that will make the central government less powerful and domineering, true federalism to make their respective laws and total control over what comes from each zones so as to aid speedy developments. Let's convoke a true SNC now or never cool
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by DaLover(m): 12:31am On Sep 23, 2013
The SS and SE want to control heir own economy and resources, be it true confederation or true federation, as long as each component can develop at its own pace..
The SW says one thing and does another thing, remember the national confab organized by OBJ, SS and SE were in one voice asking for resource control and true federalism while the north and SW opposed it, prior to that the SW had been shouting for true federalism.....funny how they changed tune when push came to shove...I can imagine how disappointed the delegates from he SS must have been, when the people that had shouted loudest could not put money were their mouth was. Ojukwu must have felt the same way..
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by badmeat(m): 12:28pm On Sep 23, 2013
Front page pls!MODs
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by PointB: 12:55pm On Sep 23, 2013
I'll take any of the three and run with it. One technically guarantees the others.

The sooner we sit down and decide the fate of the country, the better for all of us. We tarry at our own risk.

If we miss the chance to convoke a sovereign national conference before 2015 that decides our future, we only hand the opportunity to non-state actors such as Boko Haram, MEND, MASSOB, OPC, and host of others to do it for us. I bet you, while the politicians might do it with long knives, these aforementioned groups will do it with AK47, morta, shell, RPGs, and IEDs. Let support GEJ proposed SNC to save the country from further sorrows, tears, and blood!
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by mcquin(m): 2:01pm On Sep 23, 2013
Ok fine here r d templates for d confab
1.Parliamenary or Presidential govt(which is very xpensive yet Nigeria practices)? I gues d legislativ govt prefers d status-quo,hence dnt wnt 2 talk bout it.
2. Federalism,conferederalism or unitary(which we actually practice nd which is in tangem wif d Islamic autocratic-theocracy style,hence dey dnt wnt a change.they prefer d top-bottom approach which has dragd us back 4 yrs).
3.Should d Parliament b a part-time job?
4. How do we cut down cost of govt nd stop d duplication of functions by agencies?
5. Should d Justice Uwais panel report on Electoral reforms b implemented in wholesale including jettisoning d powers of d President 2 appoint d chairman which 2 me is insane,because a referee cannot b apointed by a team's coach in a match his team is playin.(I know d ruling party wil rfuse dis as dey hav alredy done)
6.Should d basic needs of every snae society-food,education,shelter etc bcom justiciable under d constitution?
7.Is d Police and Academic staffs entitled 2 earn more than politicians?
8. What should b d road-mad for diversification of d economy?
9.Is d Federal character idea necessary in d constitution? Spk up 9ja!!!
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by Joel3(m): 5:34pm On Sep 23, 2013
divide nigeria, no more one nijeria.(tough)
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by slimfit1(m): 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2013
Let go back to 3 regions please no president. Just premiers.
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by ijawcitizen(m): 6:16pm On Sep 23, 2013
slim fit :
Let go back to 3 regions please no president. Just premiers.
What nonsense!!!
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by ijawcitizen(m): 6:33pm On Sep 23, 2013
@ OP

Why are you tryinging to confuse yourself?
People are not clamouring for different things, it all one and the same no matter the name you call it.

What these regions are clamouring is for the country to be restructured to accomodate the yearnings and aspiration of its constituent ethnic groups where each controls their resources, initiate & execute their own developement in all spheres (roads, education, agriculture, health etc) and contribute a certain percentage of their resources to the Central govt. (FG) to focus on things like natioanl economy, national security, military, foreign relations, regulating agencies etc, basically things that foster national unity & makes the center unattractive.

Some may argue that we can't create states for 250 ethnic groups in the country but this figure is very false, there are no 250 ethnic groups in this country, I know for sure that the entire Southern Nigeria has about 10 ethnic groups, does it mean that the North contains the other 240?

Think people, think!!!
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by slimfit1(m): 8:18pm On Sep 23, 2013
Ok boss oga at the top ! Igaw man.
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by Dejiro(m): 8:27pm On Sep 23, 2013
I came across what Afenifere a major Yoruba group released and I think I should share it with the whole house.
“We do not believe that SNC will serve Yoruba interest the most. In fact, the Ijaws stands to benefit more. But of what use is prosperity when there is no peace? It therefore makes sense for peace that the Ijaw people keep their oil proceeds and pay royalty to the federal government.”

This is what the the Northern elites are afriad of, and we hold it a duty to educate everybody that can understand that until this happens, there will always be strive in Nigeria.
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by obailala(m): 3:09pm On Jun 25, 2015
Which way forward?...
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by docsholz(m): 3:23pm On Jun 25, 2015
Outright division
Re: Confederacy, True Federalism Or Resource Control? by Udmaster(m): 3:26pm On Jun 25, 2015
The Northeners will fight against Federalism because they know that it will put them under great disadvantage... They have been dependant on the Niger Delta Oil, that is why when BIAFRA is mentioned; it shock them like an electric and they come up with "SS are not part of Biafra" crap.. Hahahahahahaha.

(1) (Reply)

Imagine U Are Given 48hrs To Rule Nigeria, What Will You Do. / Lady Shot To Death At Her Private Part / Brand PDP: A 'Not So Favorable' Brand Pleading For Serious Rebranding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.