Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

His African Food... - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / His African Food... (2142 Views)

How My Husband And His African Traditions Ruined My Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

His African Food... by paradoxqueen: 8:23pm On Sep 22, 2013
I am in a relationship with Nigerian man but I am American. He has not been in the U.S very long. However we have many cultural differences but most we can work out. Over the weekend he had me attend a family celebration. He became upset with me because I didnt want to try African food. He constantly wants me to try his food. Anyways he makes it clear he isn't going to let me get away with not eating his food. To keep from being embarressed I follow him to get some food. He sets me down with his brothers who are trying to tell me what each dish is, however I am upset and not listening to them. While he is gone I move the food on the plate so it looks like I ate it.
The problem for me with the food is that I am real picky about food. I don't eat often and when I do eat I don't eat much. I have an eating disorder. I have recovered and relapsed many times in life. He is unaware of this and I don't want him to know.
His reasoning for wanting me to try all these foods is because he says he sees a future with us and wants me to know his culture. I truly want to be with him but How do I get him to stop trying to get me to eat his food without offending him or making him think I don't care about or respect his culture?
Re: His African Food... by Taiwo20(m): 8:35pm On Sep 22, 2013
Mtchew.....simply thing.....Just eat the Food, all of itm then vomit it after 3minutes. Do this twice or thrice....*nd thank me later
Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 22, 2013
paradoxqueen: I am in a relationship with Nigerian man but I am American. He has not been in the U.S very long. However we have many cultural differences but most we can work out. Over the weekend he had me attend a family celebration. He became upset with me because I didnt want to try African food. He constantly wants me to try his food. Anyways he makes it clear he isn't going to let me get away with not eating his food. To keep from being embarressed I follow him to get some food. He sets me down with his brothers who are trying to tell me what each dish is, however I am upset and not listening to them. While he is gone I move the food on the plate so it looks like I ate it.
The problem for me with the food is that I am real picky about food. I don't eat often and when I do eat I don't eat much. I have an eating disorder. I have recovered and relapsed many times in life. He is unaware of this and I don't want him to know.
His reasoning for wanting me to try all these foods is because he says he sees a future with us and wants me to know his culture. I truly want to be with him but How do I get him to stop trying to get me to eat his food without offending him or making him think I don't care about or respect his culture?
That's the thing woman. He places much regard in culture so you have gotta give it to him.
Eat the bleeping food you won't die.
But, if it may kill or harm you, please don't. And do your best to make him understand it will harm you, tell his brothers to help you out and explain to your boyfriend you have bad health conditions when you eat certain food at certain times at certain quantity.
Re: His African Food... by Enegod(m): 8:39pm On Sep 22, 2013
tell him you usually collaspe after eating fufu..goodluck
Re: His African Food... by Nomski0(f): 8:51pm On Sep 22, 2013
I feel your pain. Eating disorders are more serious than most people realize, in my secondary school days, i suffered from BED then a mild case of self-imposed anorexia. I still tremble at the sight of very fatty foods.....i suggest you tell him about the disorder, then he'll stop pressuring to eat all the time there's nothing more frustrating than that, you could also ease into the meals slowly.....one spoon per day or something. But please dont go bulmic, there's nothing worse than that.
Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 22, 2013
I think you should tell him you are not adventurous when it comes to food, and that anything you are not familiar with makes you really nauseated. I'm Nigerian and there are several Nigerian meals I would NEVER try in a million years. Because the aroma alone makes me wanna throw up. He should understand that, food is one aspect of culture that you should be allowed to say no to.
And yep, you should keep the eating disorder thingy to yourself, the average Nigerian doesn't get it, or believe that it exists.
Re: His African Food... by Ab025(m): 8:53pm On Sep 22, 2013
U see, in africa, there is a saying that "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" this means that the best way for a lady into an african man's heart is to prepare good and delicious meal for the man. Most of us nigerian men luv our nigerian native meals (swallow). Let me tell u a secret, if a man really wants to marry a lady in nigeria, the man will want that lady to know how to prepare nice and delicious nigerian native meals.

I saw ur other post abt how to impress ur nigerian guy, the best advice I can give to u is to suprise ur man by preparing his best nigerian meal. Ask him what is his best nigerian meal, go and meet some naija ladies over there and learn frm them how to prepare this meal....this is somethin that he will neva forget once u do it

By the way, stop running away from ur boyfriend's nigerian meals that he wants u to taste, do u really think if u guys get married in d future, he will be eating pizzas and harmburgers everyday...? NOPE

Try to adapt, try to luv and develop interests for ur man's meal, afterall, he is ur man and u need to take gud care of him, stop runnin and start cookin those meals for him....ciao!!!
Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 22, 2013
Bludeville: I think you should tell him you are not adventurous when it comes to food, and that anything you are not familiar with makes you really nauseated. I'm Nigerian and there are several Nigerian meals I would NEVER try in a million years. Because the aroma alone makes me wanna throw up. He should understand that, food is one aspect of culture that you should be allowed to say no to.
And yep, you should keep the eating disorder thingy to yourself, the average Nigerian doesn't get it, or believe that it exists.
I met a girl who thought Bulimia was the name of a restaurant lol

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by Idowuogbo(f): 8:55pm On Sep 22, 2013
ibkaye:
Roftlmaoooo! Wtf?
Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 8:56pm On Sep 22, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Roftlmaoooo! Wtf?
Lol cheesy
Re: His African Food... by Nomski0(f): 9:04pm On Sep 22, 2013
ibkaye:
Seriously eh, the level of ignorance towards it is alarming........a doctor told me that i was fine, i should just go home and eat when i ran from food like aids
Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 22, 2013
Honey don't eat what you don't wanna eat
Even as a nigerian I'm picky about nigerian food
My fiance is nigerian too but from a different tribe and I've made it clear I can't eat some of the things they eat in their area.heck I can even eat some of the things my tribe people eat.
How much more an american woman being expected to adjust overnight!
If he loves you he should take it easy with you. You're gonna be married(or so) if so then there's time for both of you to reach a common ground on cultural matters.like someone said you can bridge the gap by learning how to cook some of his favorites.that will go a long way.but no law states u have to eat what u don't like.learning to cook them will surely impress him and prove to him that u really wanna be with him.
Goodluck baby. smiley
Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 22, 2013
ibkaye:
lmfao! for real?
Re: His African Food... by Abbey2sam(m): 9:30pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ab025: U see, in africa, there is a saying that "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" this means that the best way for a lady into an african man's heart is to prepare good and delicious meal for the man. Most of us nigerian men luv our nigerian native meals (swallow). Let me tell u a secret, if a man really wants to marry a lady in nigeria, the man will want that lady to know how to prepare nice and delicious nigerian native meals.

I saw ur other post abt how to impress ur nigerian guy, the best advice I can give to u is to suprise ur man by preparing his best nigerian meal. Ask him what is his best nigerian meal, go and meet some naija ladies over there and learn frm them how to prepare this meal....this is somethin that he will neva forget once u do it

By the way, stop running away from ur boyfriend's nigerian meals that he wants u to taste, do u really think if u guys get married in d future, he will be eating pizzas and harmburgers everyday...? NOPE

Try to adapt, try to luv and develop interests for ur man's meal, afterall, he is ur man and u need to take gud care of him, stop runnin and start cookin those meals for him....ciao!!!

Please what's this one saying.................

Or do you also have reading disorder........

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by paradoxqueen: 10:01pm On Sep 22, 2013
I know how important food is for him. I really cant cook, not even American food. He and I came to an agreement that he would want me to cook but it isnt something I would have to do everyday just once a week or so.
I dont plan on hamburgers and pizza everyday...I dont eat those foods. I dont eat meat.

Ibkaye...I about died laughing at running from food like aids. But I do feel that way. And every time I see him he is eating and eats often cookie ice cream his food any food lol but he always wants me to eat and I have a million excuses why not. But he always puts a big bite on his fork for me to try...how sweet except I am praying that I dont become ill in front of him...I debate leaving every time he offers food. I want to lie and say an emergency happend lol all I can thinkIis I have got to get out of here. I dont think he would understand the eating disorder most people dont.

I dont mind his culture and I love where he comes from because it Is what makes him so amazing. However I cannot afford to gain weight. All his food is high fat high carbs...
I really hate cooking but I wouldn't mind agreeing to learn to cook his food as long as he would agree I dont have to eat it. That way he can show me his culture like he wants but I dont have to end up gaining weight.
Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 22, 2013
paradoxqueen: I know how important food is for him. I really cant cook, not even American food. He and I came to an agreement that he would want me to cook but it isnt something I would have to do everyday just once a week or so.
I dont plan on hamburgers and pizza everyday...I dont eat those foods. I dont eat meat.

Ibkaye...I about died laughing at running from food like aids. But I do feel that way. And every time I see him he is eating and eats often cookie ice cream his food any food lol but he always wants me to eat and I have a million excuses why not. But he always puts a big bite on his fork for me to try...how sweet except I am praying that I dont become ill in front of him...I debate leaving every time he offers food. I want to lie and say an emergency happend lol all I can thinkIis I have got to get out of here. I dont think he would understand the eating disorder most people dont.

I dont mind his culture and I love where he comes from because it Is what makes him so amazing. However I cannot afford to gain weight. All his food is high fat high carbs...
I really hate cooking but I wouldn't mind agreeing to learn to cook his food as long as he would agree I dont have to eat it. That way he can show me his culture like he wants but I dont have to end up gaining weight.
tell him how much you hate eating. With all your strength, try to make him understand. If he truly loves you, he will understand you don't hate African foods in particular but just hate the thing 'food'

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by Ab025(m): 10:45pm On Sep 22, 2013
One thing u should know is, nigerian men like ladies that cook

U said u may be cooking like just once in a week,..lolz, pls try and improve, cooking is very essential to most nigerian men in deciding whether to settle down with a lady or not

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 22, 2013
maxwello.yg:
tell him how much you hate eating. With all your strength, try to make him understand. If he truly loves you, he will understand you don't hate African foods in particular but just hate the thing 'food'

Dont recommend this...
If you tell somebody that you have an eating disorder then they will nearly force you to eat even if you aren't hungry. Learning to cook his foods tho - even if you dont eat them is important.
Re: His African Food... by paradoxqueen: 11:20pm On Sep 22, 2013
He said I would only have to cook once a week...right now I cook none. I have never dated a man that cooking was important. But I can try to learn for him but no way I will cook daily.
I am definitely not telling him. I dont want to hear all the speeches I have heard before. I definitely don't want him trying to make me eat. There is no way he would understand it for what it is.
Re: His African Food... by Mamacita007(f): 11:30pm On Sep 22, 2013
paradoxqueen: I know how important food is for him. I really cant cook, not even American food. He and I came to an agreement that he would want me to cook but it isnt something I would have to do everyday just once a week or so.

lloooooll there're some naija food that americans love. my friends eat my jollof, tomato & spinach stew & even moimoi. as a nigerian, i dont like some foods so dont force urself if u dont like it. eating small portions wont make u gain weight grin grin
Re: His African Food... by MrsChima(f): 11:58pm On Sep 22, 2013
paradoxqueen: I am in a relationship with Nigerian man but I am American. He has not been in the U.S very long. However we have many cultural differences but most we can work out. Over the weekend he had me attend a family celebration. He became upset with me because I didnt want to try African food. He constantly wants me to try his food. Anyways he makes it clear he isn't going to let me get away with not eating his food. To keep from being embarressed I follow him to get some food. He sets me down with his brothers who are trying to tell me what each dish is, however I am upset and not listening to them. While he is gone I move the food on the plate so it looks like I ate it.

You are not by force to try African food just because you are dating an African. The fact that you have a eating disorder is difficult. He needs to respect that or go your separate ways.

There are other fishes in the sea.

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 12:00am On Sep 23, 2013
paradoxqueen: He said I would only have to cook once a week...right now I cook none. I have never dated a man that cooking was important. But I can try to learn for him but no way I will cook daily.
I am definitely not telling him. I dont want to hear all the speeches I have heard before. I definitely don't want him trying to make me eat. There is no way he would understand it for what it is.

Cooking once a week isn't too bad IF you are preparing an entire weeks worth of meals. wink
Just because YOU have an eating disorder doesn't mean that HE does, or your future kids.. and trust me, they pick up on that stuff fast.

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by MrsChima(f): 12:03am On Sep 23, 2013
Ab025: One thing u should know is, nigerian men like ladies that cook

U said u may be cooking like just once in a week,..lolz, pls try and improve, cooking is very essential to most nigerian men in deciding whether to settle down with a lady or not

If he wants a woman chef then he should pursue one or it's that he took what he can and trying to change her?

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by MrsChima(f): 12:05am On Sep 23, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Cooking once a week isn't too bad IF you are preparing an entire weeks worth of meals. wink
Just because YOU have an eating disorder doesn't mean that HE does, or your future kids.. and trust me, they pick up on that stuff fast.

It's not easy for those with eating disorder to be around food let alone cook it. The man need to cook if it's that important to him. Marriage is for better and worse.

If they have no interest in that future then it wouldn't matter.

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 12:06am On Sep 23, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

It's not easy for those with eating disorder to be around food let alone cook it. The man need to cook if it's that important to him. Marriage is for better and worse.

If they have no interest in that future then it wouldn't matter.

I beg to differ.... Some cant be around it, but others have no problems cooking, as long as they don't eat it.. In fact, some prefer to cook for other people more often because it gives the impression that they are actually eating and the excuse "I ate while cooking" is a damn good one wink
Re: His African Food... by MrsChima(f): 12:09am On Sep 23, 2013
paradoxqueen: He said I would only have to cook once a week...right now I cook none. I have never dated a man that cooking was important. But I can try to learn for him but no way I will cook daily.

If you choose to stay with him after all you have confessed then do not complain next week that he is forcing you to eat and cook.

You have made the choice...deal with it or move on.

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by MrsChima(f): 12:11am On Sep 23, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

I beg to differ.... Some cant be around it, but others have no problems cooking, as long as they don't eat it.. In fact, some prefer to cook for other people more often because it gives the impression that they are actually eating and the excuse "I ate while cooking" is a damn good one wink

I work with those with severe eating disorders and it is different from your lots that are watching their figure and counting down the days to get in a bikini.

I don't expect NL to understand the difference.

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 12:12am On Sep 23, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

I work with those with severe eating disorders and it is different from your lots that are watching their figure and counting down the days to get in a bikini.

I don't expect NL to understand the difference.

Im not referring to those trying to fit into bikinis or teen girls who think anorexia is a diet either wink

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by MrsChima(f): 12:13am On Sep 23, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Im not referring to those trying to fit into bikinis or teen girls who think anorexia is a diet either wink

I don't think you were talking about those with severe eating disorders either.

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 23, 2013
OP, you need to tell him you have an eating disorder, whether it be bulimia or anorexia. How can you be in a relationship with someone, someone you plan on marrying and not tell him something like this? Telling him will help him understand your behaviour towards food. Stop making assumptions about how he will treat you if he finds out. You said he's an amazing guy, so a guy who really loves you would be supportive and won't look down on you. I hope you're getting help. Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: His African Food... by Nobody: 12:48am On Sep 23, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

You are not by force to try African food just because you are dating an African. The fact that you have a eating disorder is difficult. He needs to respect that or go your separate ways.

There are other fishes in the sea.

How can he "respect that" when she has not told him and does not want to tell him?

You can't blame the guy. He has no idea she has an eating disorder.

1 Like

Re: His African Food... by paradoxqueen: 1:55am On Sep 23, 2013
I am absolutely not telling him... lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Mistakes Men Make When Asking Ladies Out / My Hatred For Makeups And Wigs / Most Girls Proving Expensive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.