Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed (5671 Views)

Princess Adeola Ogunwusi: “How My Father Becoming Ooni Has Changed My Life” / Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba / 40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:27pm On Sep 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Take a look at what happens in Yemen then, like the west, Racism is a big problem in the middle east:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7_HSfHi3hA

hmm it sure is to an extent. But think of it this way. These people are naturally poor. therefore they cant afford to go to schools or come up as well, especially in a lawless land like Yemen.

However I have another reason to defend it because one of my friends is a dark-skinned Yemeni of possible African descent, by her features. she is in a good position. However Im not sure if she belongs to this al-Akhdam group. Also ive seen many black Yemenis on tv shows when i rifled through Yemen tv. therefore Yemen is the least likely place i expected this kind of discrimination.

Infact I would like to know more about this Al-Akhdam. are they Negritos or descendants of African migrants. it seems discrimination is limited to this particular caste.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 8:33pm On Sep 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

hmm it sure is to an extent. But think of it this way. These people are naturally poor. therefore they cant afford to go to schools or come up as well, especially in a lawless land like Yemen.

However I have another reason to defend it because one of my friends is a dark-skinned Yemeni of possible African descent, by her features. she is in a good position. However Im not sure if she belongs to this al-Akhdam group. Also ive seen many black Yemenis on tv shows when i rifled through Yemen tv. therefore Yemen is the least likely place i expected this kind of discrimination.

Infact I would like to know more about this Al-Akhdam. are they Negritos or descendants of African migrants. it seems discrimination is limited to this particular caste.

Sometimes, people hide the truth about their country just so it can look good to others.

I can tell you right now whenever i discuss Nigeria with other people I say it is one of the greatest countries in the world, but we know we have leadership problems, we have ethnic conflicts sometimes, and we have extremists (both pretend Christian and pretend Muslim) that give a bad image to the country.

If Al-Jazeera an Arab owned TV is saying all these things, then it must be true. Honest Arabs will tell you the same thing too. There are good Arabs, but one can not deny if they seek to be living as one of the top echelon of people in an Arab country it is very difficult as an African (even if that African is Muslim and speaks Fluent Arabic.)
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:36pm On Sep 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Sometimes, people hide the truth about their country just so it can look good to others.

I can tell you right now whenever i discuss Nigeria with other people I say it is one of the greatest countries in the world, but we know we have leadership problems, we have ethnic conflicts sometimes, and we have extremists (both pretend Christian and pretend Muslim) that give a bad image to the country.

If Al-Jazeera an Arab owned TV is saying all these things, then it must be true. Honest Arabs will tell you the same thing too. There are good Arabs, but one can not deny if they seek to be living as one of the top echelon of people in an Arab country it is very difficult as an African (even if that African is Muslim and speaks Fluent Arabic.)

Yes you are on point.

However let me tell you this. If you go to one of the developed GCC countries, especially a country like UAE or Oman, as an African you are not meted out with racist reatment. Infact at times you are even given special treatment at outlets. Im speaking by experience.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 8:39pm On Sep 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Yes you are on point.

However let me tell you this. If you go to one of the developed GCC countries, especially a country like UAE or Oman, as an African you are not meted out with racist reatment. Infact at times you are even given special treatment at outlets. Im speaking by experience.

I have never been to Oman or UAE, but I did know someone from Oman. Now I will not put all Oman people in 1 group, but this particular Individual did not like Africans. All he talked about were how Africans bring down the country.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:46pm On Sep 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

I have never been to Oman or UAE, but I did know someone from Oman. Now I will not put all Oman people in 1 group, but this particular Individual did not like Africans. All he talked about were how Africans bring down the country.

wow seriously"? Now that is just messed up.

However Oman gives equal rights and privileges (include good govt. job positions, housing,etc.) to Swahilli slave descendants. Some are even sent outside their country to events where they showcase their slavery-days music and dances, such as their famous Liwa dance.

I know some of these Zanj (Swahilli Omanis).

oh and btw let me mention that in Dubai, if you are A Sudani or SOmali, and especially if you are wearing their local dress, you won't be attracting any attention.

However if you are an African (especially Nigerian) dude , fresh out of Nigeria and you walk around wearing flashy western clothes or Agbada (ive seen some wear that) , etc., don't be surprized to expect a few stares here and there. They are not being racist but they are just not used to seeing our kind everyday. Its like a white woman walking across the streets of Kano, if you know what I mean.

However people there are extra polite with you if you are African, for some reason. especially if you are very dark-skinned. or else theyll just think you are Sudani and Arabic therefore they wont give you much notice.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Adamskuty(m): 7:04am On Sep 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

again Iraq is not a part of GCC. (gulf Arabia). I just included the Mad'an tribals of the Iraqi Marshlands.

Basra is a city and there are no Arab Bedu or tribals there of pure Arab stock. very few if any.

However I do believe that.

but what is funny is that in some places, for example take the Soomalis. they tell you to call them and they call each other "Abdi" or "Warya Abdi". They think its a cool trend.

abdi means slave.

hrhrhrhr! The bunk teeth carrier are one hell of a funny people grin grin

i know all those people were slaves all this while,that's why i never believed that somalia11@somalia12
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:52pm On Sep 28, 2013
Fula check this video out. A friend sent it to me. It shows the Traditional Tribal Dance in Qatar. note the presence of many dark-skinned men of African descent waving swords and dancing on equal terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfayu5r-Na4
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 5:08pm On Sep 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
Fula check this video out. A friend sent it to me. It shows the Traditional Tribal Dance in Qatar. note the presence of many dark-skinned men of African descent waving swords and dancing on equal terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfayu5r-Na4

Originally, many Arabs were dark-skinned. Today, many Arabs are mixed with Turkish, Greek, Roman. Nice video though. Their desert life is similar to our own
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:11pm On Sep 28, 2013
Fulaman198:

Originally, many Arabs were dark-skinned. Today, many Arabs are mixed with Turkish, Greek, Roman

No dude. Lol I was waiting for someone to say this. tongue

All those are full-blooded tribesmen of Nejdi descent I think. The dark skinned ones are descendants of former slaves who were freed after the 1960s ,especially because of pressure by britain and america. However many chose to stay on with their families and were given jobs, income, etc., as well.

those mixed with turkish greek and roman are the levantine Arabs. These Arabs never even had contact with them. THey are of Bedu descent.

They are not whites exactly. They are brown skinned and have hard-cut features.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 5:14pm On Sep 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

No dude. Lol I was waiting for someone to say this. tongue

All those are full-blooded tribesmen of Nejdi descent I think. The dark skinned ones are descendants of former slaves who were freed after the 1960s ,especially because of pressure by britain and america. However many chose to stay on with their families and were given jobs, income, etc., as well.

those mixed with turkish greek and roman are the levantine Arabs. These Arabs never even had contact with them. THey are of Bedu descent.

They are not whites exactly. They are brown skinned and have hard-cut features.

I hope you are 100% correct, because black Arabs are real....

Remember how Arabs were first created, who is the mother of the Arabs?
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:23pm On Sep 28, 2013
Fulaman198:

No my friend. They are not. The black Arabs today are of slave descent and the ones in Oman among the royal family are due to intermarriage between Omani slave traders and Swahilli merchants.

The Gulf Arabs do range to brown sand colours, genetically as well as due to the heat. There are a few darker-range Arabs among the Mahra and HArasiis tribes, who btw dont even speak Arabic. They have their own South Arabian Languages.

The Arabs have no mother scientifically. They just evolved from South Arabian groups.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by onila(f): 3:57am On Oct 03, 2013
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by kandiikane(m): 4:11am On Oct 03, 2013
Fulaman198:

Hagaar?
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by kandiikane(m): 4:15am On Oct 03, 2013
I need to go dubai. Go get me a fix of brazillian and malaysian hair
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 5:30pm On Oct 03, 2013
kandiikane:

Hagaar?

I know, but what I was trying to point out was was she not black?
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:15pm On Oct 03, 2013
Fulaman198:

I know, but what I was trying to point out was was she not black?

its a myth.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 8:18pm On Oct 03, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

its a myth.

Possibly
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 03, 2013
Call me brainwashed, but I cannot reconcile full body hijabs and living the fabulous life.

Why can't Muslimas dress like this stylish lady?:

[img]http://easybreazy.files./2013/04/sheikha-mozah-bint-nasser-al-misnad-fashion1-1.jpg?w=560&h=506[/img]

Sheikh Mozah, wife of the Emir of Qatar.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 9:40pm On Oct 03, 2013
nnenna.1:
Call me brainwashed, but I cannot reconcile full body hijabs and living the fabulous life.

Why can't Muslimas dress like this stylish lady?:

[img]http://easybreazy.files./2013/04/sheikha-mozah-bint-nasser-al-misnad-fashion1-1.jpg?w=560&h=506[/img]

Sheikh Mozah, wife of the Emir of Qatar.

Dressing in Full Hijab is a choice in UAE (which is not ruled by Sharia law). It is the woman's choice if she would want to wear it.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 03, 2013
Fulaman198:

Dressing in Full Hijab is a choice in UAE (which is not ruled by Sharia law). It is the woman's choice if she would want to wear it.

shocked

They have options but choose to go for full coverage?

i understand modesty in Islam and all that but there are ultra stylish options that are still decent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 9:48pm On Oct 03, 2013
nnenna.1:

shocked

They have options but choose to go for full coverage?

i understand modesty in Islam and all that but there are ultra stylish options that are still decent.

That's true
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by onila(f): 9:54pm On Oct 03, 2013
Fulaman198:

all women in dubai have to wear hijab
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by onila(f): 9:56pm On Oct 03, 2013
Fulaman198:

some parts of UAE are ruled by sharia law
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 10:17pm On Oct 03, 2013
onila:

Oh ok, I did not know that, never been to UAE. I wish I were rich like you Onila grin
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by onila(f): 4:16pm On Oct 04, 2013
Fulaman198:

Oh ok, I did not know that, never been to UAE. I wish I were rich like you Onila grin
cheesy
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:21pm On Oct 04, 2013
onila:

Shariaá law is strongest in the EMirate of Sharjah. alcohol is prohibited there.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by onila(f): 5:24pm On Oct 04, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Shariaá law is strongest in the EMirate of Sharjah. alcohol is prohibited there.
yea undecided

unfortunately my friend studies in that place

shes dying to graduate so she can move to Dubai for her masters
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:30pm On Oct 04, 2013
onila: yea undecided

unfortunately my friend studies in that place

shes dying to graduate so she can move to Dubai for her masters

Im guessing American University of Sharjah. right?
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by onila(f): 5:33pm On Oct 04, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Im guessing American University of Sharjah. right?
cheesy yr so right

its one of the best schools for engineering over there so she had to manage tongue
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:34pm On Oct 04, 2013
onila: cheesy yr so right

its one of the best schools for engineering over there so she had to manage tongue

True I guess.
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by Fulaman198(m): 7:08pm On Oct 04, 2013
It sounds like you have been to Dubai too Pagan, wish I was rich like you guys grin
Re: When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:12pm On Oct 04, 2013
*smh. Im not rich in that sense. Im just middle-class. Just save up a bit, invest a bit on the side and use the money to go where you want to.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

T.d Jakes Is From Igbo Ancestry / Early History Of The Niger-congo Speakers (igbo, Yoruba, Fulani, Mande, Etc) / This Dictionary Proof Yoruba Are Speaking Original Hebrew Language Of The Torah.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.