Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,758 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:07 AM

Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. - Career (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. (260452 Views)

Graduate Interns At HCDC Limited / Salary of Federal Hospital Interns In Nigeria? / Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (88) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by ahmedgafar7(m): 1:50pm On Jul 23, 2014
sisiafrika: u know what, I really like ur guts. Ur commanding
yes I'm not begging 4 help..I'm just asking..so if u can help me GOD BLESS YOU
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Treasure28: 5:03pm On Jul 26, 2014
I hail all men of honour in the house. Please I need u to give me some orientation on pharmacy. I am a biochemistry graduate presently serving. I will b picking up this current D.E form to study pharmacy in U.I. I actually have passion for the course and see it as a platform to affect lives. Looking forward for ur words of wisdom. Thanks all
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by pxjosh(m): 7:02pm On Jul 30, 2014
cooltony09: Dear Readers,The story is back after the Blackout on Nairaland..Please follow and feel free to drop your comments..Remember,You are my Inspiration!
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 1

Pararara pararara pararara ra… My phone rang in the most common but still unique Nokia tune. Who could it be at that time of the night? I didn't make night calls, and that was a particularly odd hour. I stared at my zoo101 textbook, which was not even sinking into my brain and I was interrupted by my phone again. That textbook was literally a torture to me, very boring and annoying classifications and descriptions of different classes of animals, designed in a puzzle like text. The book was best read during the day, not at night, but my days were always polluted with my roommates’ hyper social activities. So I'd no other option but to stick to the odd hours, when they were all fast asleep. The other unpleasant option was the school library, where I would most likely be asked to roll up my trousers (nahhhh, I’ll pass).

All my roommates were asleep. Haastie was snoring on the top bunk, Idris and Afin lay helplessly on the floor with PlayStation 2 consoles around their heads. They probably played themselves to dreamland. The scholars in my room were probably in the library glued to tons of books. Timi from the next room slept on the reading chair in a position I can't really describe, I doubt the guy woke up without a backache.

Pararara pararara pararara ra… my phone rang again. It was even an unknown number; I wondered who calls hiding his/her number at such ungodly hour. I shook my thoughts away and answered the call Nigerian style (I didn't speak at first till the person said hello). It was kunle my home boy. He shouted into my ears

“TEE, OAU LIST IS OUT; YOU HAVE BEEN ADMITTED TO STUDY PHARMACY. I JUST CHECKED IT NOWWWW!”

I was dumbfounded for a few seconds; not because of the weight of the news, but by the way he shouted. I almost dropped the phone. I knew he was very happy because we both got admitted but that didn't mean he should destroy my eardrums to show how happy he was. (How would I enjoy the admission then and go through with lectures?)

I was very happy; though I knew I'd be admitted after destroying the post UTME and had a great result (yes please, I’m allowed to blow my own trumpet). Yes, I was a matriculated student of a faster university, but I wasn’t studying pharmacy. Pharmacy had always been my dream course. I didn't know why I had a special and strong interest in the course, but I was very sure I didn't want to study medicine which was my Dad's laid down path for me. I discharged kunle after some minutes of exchanging strategies and plans on how we’re going to do registrations and other stuffs.

I went to Idris’ bunk, switched on the Powerful sound system and started blasting terry g's hallelujah at the highest volume. Afin was the first to feel the impact of the music. He opened his eyes gradually; I guess his first thought would have been that I might have been high on weed.

“Tee, you no look time ni or you wan make this potter come meet us ni?” he buzzed.

I screamed “Bleep the potter, Bleep DSA, and Bleep the VC. I've been admitted into a better school and for a better course at that.”

He looked at me,” iro ni o!” he said.

Then with a kick, he woke up idris and haastie and as if they had planned for a party from dreamland, they joined in the celebration. We danced till exhaustion set in and we slept off.
More at www.akorede.com
what ways your score
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by adeoladrg(m): 8:10pm On Jul 30, 2014
Sup everyone!

Pls I have a few issues on pharmacology.

1. What textbook do you use for it or consider the best.

2. How is pharmacology structured in ur school? Here introduction (301) and cholinergic mechanism (303) in first semester, adrenergic mechanism (302), CNS pharmacology(304) and practicals (305) in second semester.. That's just for 300L pharmacology.

3. Knowing how wide this is, what techniques did you employ in reading them?

4. I don't mind if we could take them one after the other and discuss them, starting with Cholinergic mechanism plsss. Thank you..

As men of honour!

Tags;

SirRomeo , sogodihno , KingMEXX, Omolodmilkman93
zeezahbee, sisiafrika, homguy, kristana, kjbobo, tonasibe , delpharm pxjosh,:somtea, Samgreguc, nouveaux , firimador, stefikal, DrKlever, PHARMTOKI, Hoyeenz
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by sisiafrika(f): 9:32pm On Jul 30, 2014
Will chk into faculty handbook and get back. M about to start pcl..so don't know much.. The popular textbk here is Lippicott(spelling??).
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by pxjosh(m): 9:57pm On Jul 30, 2014
adeoladrg: Sup everyone!

2. How is pharmacology structured in ur school? Here introduction (301) and cholinergic mechanism (303) in first semester, adrenergic mechanism (302), CNS pharmacology(304) and practicals (305) in second semester.. That's just for 300L pharmacology.

4. I don't mind if we could take them one after the other and discuss them, starting with Cholinergic mechanism plsss. Thank you..

As men of honour!

Tags;

zeezahbee, sisiafrika, homguy, kristana, kjbobo, tonasibe , delpharm pxjosh,:somtea, Samgreguc, nouveaux , firimador, stefikal, DrKlever, PHARMTOKI, Hoyeenz
as for text book; personally I prefer Lippincott.. very easy to grasp and also has diagrams to further buttress points. I somehow find katzung nd rang and Dale uninteresting personally. so many complex things there (most of my classmates having these books hardly read them).
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by pxjosh(m): 10:03pm On Jul 30, 2014
in uniben: 300l pco is in two parts: general pharmacology (314) and autonomic pharmacology (315) ; practicals will be 4 second semester
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by pxjosh(m): 10:10pm On Jul 30, 2014
the pharmacology we did was really bulky, and because it was new to us, it was challenging. 8 lecturers took us 314 alone, while 7 for 315. so I concentrated much more on my materials and note rather than textbook. with this I excelled in my tests and hope to do so in the exams

1 Like

Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by aieromon(m): 3:58am On Jul 31, 2014
pxjosh: the pharmacology we did was really bulky, and because it was new to us, it was challenging. 8 lecturers took us 314 alone, while 7 for 315. so I concentrated much more on my materials and note rather than textbook. with this I excelled in my tests and hope to do so in the exams

7 lecturers for 315? I think it was 4 during my time,two professors and two doctors then. You had to at least open Goods and Gilman to fully grasp what they were teaching.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by sisiafrika(f): 7:18am On Jul 31, 2014
pxjosh: as for text book; personally I prefer Lippincott.. very easy to grasp and also has diagrams to further buttress points. I somehow find katzung nd rang and Dale uninteresting personally. so many complex things there (most of my classmates having these books hardly read them).
and I was happy when I stole Katzung from this boy. *sobs* no wonder he never argued!
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by pxjosh(m): 8:25am On Jul 31, 2014
sisiafrika: and I was happy when I stole Katzung from this boy. *sobs* no wonder he never argued!
hehehehe..you can still read it na. some of my classmates go the extra miles to read it in order to challenge lecturers in class. me I no sabi all those one.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by pxjosh(m): 8:37am On Jul 31, 2014
aieromon:

7 lecturers for 315? I think it was 4 during my time,two professors and two doctors then. You had to at least open Goods and Gilman to fully grasp what they were teaching.
ok you attended uniben? its now 7. how was their test structured during your time?
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by aieromon(m): 11:06am On Jul 31, 2014
pxjosh: ok you attended uniben? its now 7. how was their test structured during your time?

Tests were very few and I doubt if they were used at all.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by shakirahpweety: 8:28am On Aug 01, 2014
Hello, i am shakeerah 500level pharmacy student , university of lagos. It's nice to be here.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by OmolodMilkman93(m): 3:07pm On Aug 01, 2014

As men of honour!

Tags;

We just resumed at this end,. Have had only one lecture on PCL so I dnt really know much about it. About d textbook, most of my colleagues are mentioning Lippincott as d best(already have a softcopy). Maybe as d semester unfolds, I will be able to talk more about it......
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by drered(m): 3:09pm On Aug 01, 2014
shakirahpweety: Hello, i am shakeerah 500level pharmacy student , university of lagos. It's nice to be here.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by sisiafrika(f): 5:56pm On Aug 01, 2014
OmolodMilkman93: We just resumed at this end,. Have had only one lecture on PCL so I dnt really know much about it. About d textbook, most of my colleagues are mentioning Lippincott as d best(already have a softcopy). Maybe as d semester unfolds, I will be able to talk more about it......
how do I get the soft copy?
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by sisiafrika(f): 5:58pm On Aug 01, 2014
drered: Andre, 500L, University Of Ibadan. Welcome..
thot u were in DELSU
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by drered(m): 8:22pm On Aug 01, 2014
sisiafrika: thot u were in DELSU
Lol. Did I ever infer that?
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 01, 2014

As men of honour!

Tags;

OK I would be brief even though Cology is not grin

In our first semester Cology, we treated Adrenergic and Cholinergic systems all at once and their drugs as well.
We also had other minor topics like Thrombosis and GIT drugs as well to name a few..We also had practicals
2nd Semester just kicked off, so We haven't gone far..

As for Textbooks, hmmm....I have Lippincott...The others are too complex and common amongst students and so there is general circulation of same knowledge , if you know what I mean...Well, its for Pharmacy in UNN
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by adeoladrg(m): 8:52pm On Aug 01, 2014
shakirahpweety: Hello, i am shakeerah 500level pharmacy student , university of lagos. It's nice to be here.

Nice to have you here!

I presume you guys study pharmacology till 500L.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by adeoladrg(m): 8:58pm On Aug 01, 2014
Everyone seems to go with Lippincott..

No one has told us the methods or reading techniques he uses.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far, God bless!
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by aieromon(m): 10:03pm On Aug 01, 2014
adeoladrg: Everyone seems to go with Lippincott..

No one has told us the methods or reading techniques he uses.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far, God bless!

Well,I will state mine and you are free to try it out at your own risk.

In the Department of Pharmacology,UNIBEN(then),a given course was taught by not less than three lecturers. You are required to answer five out of seven questions. All I did was to focus on the lecturers who would reward marks for effort put into answering the questions. For this reason,I never attempted Professor Obianwu's questions except when I had no choice(for example if he was one of the three lecturers,he had three questions allocated to him). You had to seriously impress the man to get 12 out of 20 marks. In fact,he was the reason why Goods and Gilman's textbook of Pharmacology was the only textbook I consulted.

I always impressed by writing my Pharmacology exams like an essay. Don't muddle your information into one paragraph. Break every little detail down into subheadings and let the examiner read your script as if it were a textbook.

For example,when asked to talk about an antihypertensive,you should include the following information with clear sub-headings in your response:
-Brief definition of hypertension
-Role of anti-hypertensives
-Class of hypertensives
-Your drug of choice
-Mode of action
-Mechanism of action
-Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics
-Dosage
-Side effects
-Contraindications/Drug-drug interactions

I aced over 60% of my pharmacology courses using this technique. I don't think the department has any left over sadist that wants to see students toil in vain. I did my project there,aced it as well and my supervisor promised to publish it which he did.

That's my one naira.

7 Likes

Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 10:41pm On Aug 01, 2014
⇧⇧

I Like this

2 Likes

Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Samgreguc(m): 4:33am On Aug 02, 2014
aieromon:

Well,I will state mine and you are free to try it out at your own risk.

In the Department of Pharmacology,UNIBEN(then),a given course was taught by not less than three lecturers. You are required to answer five out of seven questions. All I did was to focus on the lecturers who would reward marks for effort put into answering the questions. For this reason,I never attempted Professor Obianwu's questions except when I had no choice(for example if he was one of the three lecturers,he had three questions allocated to him). You had to seriously impress the man to get 12 out of 20 marks. In fact,he was the reason why Goods and Gilman's textbook of Pharmacology was the only textbook I consulted.

I always impressed by writing my Pharmacology exams like an essay. Don't muddle your information into one paragraph. Break every little detail down into subheadings and let the examiner read your script as if it were a textbook.

For example,when asked to talk about an antihypertensive,you should include the following information with clear sub-headings in your response:
-Brief definition of hypertension
-Role of anti-hypertensives
-Class of hypertensives
-Your drug of choice
-Mode of action
-Mechanism of action
-Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics
-Dosage
-Side effects
-Contraindications/Drug-drug interactions

I aced over 60% of my pharmacology courses using this technique. I don't think the department has any left over sadist that want to see students toil in vain. I did my project there,aced it as well and my supervisor promised to publish it which he did.

That's my one naira.

Thumbs up bro. You just helped others and me.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Samgreguc(m): 4:34am On Aug 02, 2014
KingMEXX: ⇧⇧

I Like this
me too
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by caukerzee(m): 9:19am On Aug 02, 2014
Much wishes of sucess from me to all my fellow PANSites in Unijos as we commence examinations on Monday. Prepare well y'all...
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by aieromon(m): 11:14am On Aug 02, 2014
caukerzee: Much wishes of sucess from me to all my fellow PANSites in Unijos as we commence examinations on Monday. Prepare well y'all...

How come you're just starting when other faculties are rounding up?

Much success.
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 03, 2014
caukerzee: Much wishes of sucess from me to all my fellow PANSites in Unijos as we commence examinations on Monday. Prepare well y'all...
Success bro...
May God see you all through
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Marverick(m): 1:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
wishing u success boss!
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by lcoral(f): 1:47pm On Aug 04, 2014
. Exams success
Re: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. by Marverick(m): 1:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
Samgreguc:
me too
greetings boss hows it going wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (88) (Reply)

Nigerian Prospective Medical Interns 2017 / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.