Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,923 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP (1955 Views)

Rivers Tribunal: Why Peterside Was Ineligible To Run For Governor / The New PDP Campaign Pattern (Photo) / Jonathan Ineligible To Contest In 2015 – PDP Chieftain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 25, 2013
PunchNG:
The leadership of the New Peoples Democratic Party has said that President Goodluck Jonathan is not qualified to seek reelection in 2015.

The reasons why he cannot contest, according to the group, are: The 1999 Constitution, an agreement the President entered into and his open statement in Turkey in 2011.

The President had on Monday said that the 1999 Constitution allowed him to be in office for a maximum of eight years.

He had said, “Already, we have a constitution that makes provision for maximum of eight years for anyone who wants to become a President or a governor.

“There is no President or governor that all citizens vote for but at the end of the election, if somebody emerges, you must allow the person to work.

“If you love your country, you would want your country to work. That does not mean that you will not vote against the person if you don’t like the way he works, but you must allow him to work.”

But the New PDP, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Chief Chukwuemeka Eze, warned that Jonathan’s second term ambition was not in the best interest of the country.

“After reviewing the state of the nation and the pulse of Nigerians, we wish to advise President Jonathan to abandon his plan to seek re-election in 2015 as this is not in the best interest of the country,” it added.

Admitting that the President had yet to categorically declare his intention to run, the New PDP said he had given enough clues that he would do so.

The statement reads, “We are worried that Mr. President is intent on running despite his earlier promise not to do so and in spite of the wise counsel of well-meaning Nigerians, including respected elder statesmen.

“In February, 2011 while interacting with Nigerians and diplomats working in the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa and the African Union in Ankara, Turkey, President Jonathan clearly stated ‘I would have loved that the Nigerians in the Diaspora vote this year (2011) but to be frank with you, that is going to be difficult now.

‘Presently, the law does not allow the voting outside Nigeria and so this year, Nigerians in Diaspora will not vote but I will work towards it by 2015 even though I will not be running for election.’

“Mr. President went ahead to add, ‘Four years is enough for anyone in power to make significant improvement and if I can’t improve on power within this period, it then means I cannot do anything even if I am there for the next four years.’

“This is a historical fact which Mr. President himself cannot deny now since he had two years to deny that statement but never did so.”

It asked the President how he would want Nigerians and the entire world to see him if he eventually makes a U-Turn.

“Why can he not keep his words as a man of honour instead of allowing himself to be misled by selfish advisers to go back on his words, thereby overheating the polity?”

The faction called on the President to heed the advice of well-meaning personalities such as Prof. Ben Nwabueze (SAN) and Archbishop Emeritus of the Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos, Anthony Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie, all of whom had advised him to correctly read the handwriting on the wall and stay away from the 2015 presidential race.

While saying that by 2015, Jonathan would have been in office for six years, it added that this was enough time for him to achieve whatever he planned for Nigeria.

It said, “What else is he looking for that is making him desperate to participate in the 2015 presidential election despite warnings that doing so may spark a chain of events capable of culminating into the country’s disintegration thereby bringing to pass the predictions of Lord Lugard that Nigeria as a nation by 2014 maybe history, which was later confirmed by the USA Think-Tank that Nigeria may disintegrate by 2015. “

The group , therefore, appealed to the President “to abandon this ill-advised move and save our nation from catastrophe.” It added that God has been merciful to him by lifting him from being a university teacher to a President

“We urge you Mr. President to listen to the voice of reason and avoid over-stretching your good luck. A word is enough for the wise,” the New PDP added.

Before the statement, Eze had told one of our correspondents on the telephone in Abuja, that going by the 1999 Constitution, the President was not qualified to run in 2015.

He said, “Our position is that he is not qualified to run in 2015 because by that time, he would have been in office for six years.

“If he runs in 2015 and rigmaroles himself to power, he would be in office for 10 years by 2019 and the Constitution does not allow that.

“The President knows this and this was the reason he said in New York that the constitution allows him and the governors to spend eight years and not 10 years as he is plotting now.”

Eze claimed that some New PDP members were in possession of a document where the President promised not to run in 2015.

“We have fact and figures that the President promised not to run come 2015. At the appropriate time, we will release the document. Let him continue to make noise,” he added.

Eze said if the President could not honour an agreement he willingly made with people without coercion, it would be difficult to take him seriously.

The Presidency however vowed on Tuesday that nobody or group of individuals, including the New PDP, was capable of stopping Jonathan if he decided to contest the 2015 election.

Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters, Ahmed Gulak, said unrealisable ambition had blinded members of the New PDP to the extent that they were no longer aware that Nigeria was governed by law.

He said, “The Abubakar Baraje group (New PDP) is an outlaw as far as the law of this country is concerned. The country is governed by law.

“As far as I am concerned, there is no political crisis in the country. It is a group of few people with unrealisable ambitions that are blinded to the fact that there is a Constitution and there is the Electoral Act.

“These people, supported by the media, are the ones making a storm out of a tea cup.

“When we reach the bridge, we will cross it. But I will continue to say that nobody or group of individuals, be it the Baraje group or not, can stop Mr. President from contesting 2015 election if he resolves to do so.

“Stopping him is abridging his constitutional right and it is illegal.”

Also, the Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the Bamanga Tukur-led PDP, Mr. Ibrahim Jalo, said that it was wrong to equate what the President said in New York to mean a declaration of intent to run in 2015.

He said, “The President has not said he is running in 2015 even though it is his right to do so. The President said the constitution allows him to run for second term; that is correct.

“But let me say that the President still stands by his statement that he would let Nigerians know if he would be running for second term or not, by 2014.

“Nigerians, especially journalists, should allow the ongoing peace talks(in the PDP) to work out. We should stop misinterpreting the President.”

Source:http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-ineligible-to-run-in-2015-new-pdp/
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by ProfessorPeter(m): 8:56am On Sep 25, 2013
Tell u why he should not seek reelection.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 25, 2013
a reply as posted on PunchNG
wellio:
.Arise O Nigerian Youth And A Call To Obey
In 1983, Bamanga Tukur was the Governor of the defunct Gongola State (now Adamawa & Taraba) and 30 years later, he is today the Chairman of the ruling Party, The PDP;
Dr. Bello Halliru was commissioner in the Old Sokoto State (now Sokoto, Kebbi & Zamfara) and 33 years after he is today Minister of Defence;
Major General David Mark(rtd) was the military governor of Niger State in 1984 and 28years later he is today the Senate President;
Gov. Murtala Nyako was the governor of Niger State in 1976 and 36years later he is today the Governor of Adamawa State;
Ogbonnaya Onu was governor of Abia State in 1992 and 20years after he is today the National Chairman of ANPP;
Gov. David Jonah Jang was the governor of Benue State in 1985 and 27years after he is today the governor of plateau state; and
Martins Elechi the Ebonyi State Governor is over 80 years old!
Only in Nigeria is this possible, where the youth of today have no hope into the future!
Where do we go from here? People Deceiving People (PDP), 1985, IBB was the president of Nigeria and our teachers told us that Buhari was the former Head of state..Our teacher also called us "the leaders of tomorrow".. 27years later, IBB and Buhari are still contesting for Presidency..
Its either our teacher lied to us about being the leaders of tomorrow..Or tomorrow is yet to come.. Who's fooling who

Sunday Njokede:
I will prefer a ten thousand year old president Buhari is leading
Nigeria than a corrupt youthful new generation Jonathan Goodluck,
Senator Farouk Lawan or senator Demeji Bankole. Our attention for 2015
should be how to get a leader who is incorruptible and morally upright.
It does not matter whether that person is young or old; it is not a
problem whether that person is an Atheist, Muslim, Christian or
Mammy-Water worshipper. Bottom line should be that 2015 president is not
corrupt. Enough of this madness about youthful president!

There are two sides to every story. Your teacher had refuse to teach you people about “balancing act.”
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Toktee(m): 9:09am On Sep 25, 2013
Allow him to contest so that he will be disgraced out,lets sent him back to otueke through ballot
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Nobody: 9:10am On Sep 25, 2013
Toktee: Allow him to contest so that he will be disgraced out,lets sent him back to otueke through ballot

And are you sure Nigerians are ready to vote him out?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Nobody: 9:42am On Sep 25, 2013
I opened this thread to see where in the constitution that it was stated the Jonathan Ebele GCFR is barred from re-contesting, but all I read is their usual noise which we are already used to.

Let me be clear,

GEJ was only elected to the office of the President in 2011. The two previous years was to complete the tenure of late Yaradua. The constitution does not give way to leadership in vacuum.

The constitution allows for a maximum of two terms for Executive positions. GEJ is in his first term. So no violation of the constitution.

The so-called gentleman agreement or Turkey address can not replace the provisions of the constitution

It is unconstitutional for a citizen to sacrifice his unalienable ryt in the name of stability of the polity. If GEJ contesting will mean disintegration, then so be it....

GEJ has outperformed every past leader combined, he has no choice but to continue.

Finally, THERE is NO Vacancy in Aso Villa Till 2019.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by ckkris: 9:50am On Sep 25, 2013
Wetin Atiku say? Atiku talk say Jona is the best candidate for 2015.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 25, 2013
barcanista: I opened this thread to see where in the constitution that it was stated the Jonathan Ebele GCFR is barred from re-contesting, but all I read is their usual noise which we are already used to.

Let me be clear,

GEJ was only elected to the office of the President in 2011. The two previous years was to complete the tenure of late Yaradua. The constitution does not give way to leadership in vacuum.

The constitution allows for a maximum of two terms for Executive positions. GEJ is in his first term. So no violation of the constitution.

The so-called gentleman agreement or Turkey address can not replace the provisions of the constitution

It is unconstitutional for a citizen to sacrifice his unalienable ryt in the name of stability of the polity. If GEJ contesting will mean disintegration, then so be it....

GEJ has outperformed every past leader combined, he has no choice but to continue.

I laugh in derision at the bolded grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by duality(m): 10:01am On Sep 25, 2013
The group , therefore, appealed to the President “to abandon this ill-advised move and save our nation from catastrophe.”

Before the statement, Eze had told one of our correspondents on the telephone in Abuja, that going by the 1999 Constitution, the President was not qualified to run in 2015.

- what catastrophe are we talking about. Let's be specific.

- If Atiku has the right to contest, I see no reason GEJ does not have the right to do same.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by kingbang: 10:51am On Sep 25, 2013
Finally they have come out! hahahahaha. The f00ls have seen that they cannot win GEJ in a free and fair election come 2015 so they want to blackmail him out of seeking re-election. Well it is left for the masses to decide in 2015 and not some bunch of power thirsty retar.ds.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 25, 2013
kingbang: Finally they have come out! hahahahaha. The f00ls have seen that they cannot win GEJ in a free and fair election come 2015 so they want to blackmail him out of seeking re-election. Well it is left for the masses to decide in 2015 and not some bunch of power thirsty retar.ds.

What makes you think GEJ wont be shown the door out in a free and fair election?
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by classicEntity(m): 1:49pm On Sep 25, 2013
I support GEJ, but left for me I'll advice him not to contest, because its against the constitution, which states; that no person shall take the oath of presidency more than twice and no one should exceed the number of 8 years in office. So as for GEJ he should just be a national hero and spend his 6 years peaceful with a lot of legacy, after all its just two year difference. More over he was a V.P and acting President, so he should add-up those V.P and acting president year with his 6 years in office, it would even pass. What else does he want to achieve by being sworn in the third time which is against the constitution and the promises he made, therefore he should use this remaining yrs and leave a big legacy and turn a national hero. But if he should go ahead and contest I will vote for him rather than voting-in a core northerner, but that is if I don't see any chances of Igbo presidency in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by kingbang: 1:55pm On Sep 25, 2013
ledafaze:

What makes you think GEJ wont be shown the door out in a free and fair election?

So why the fear from the Northerners and their slaves?. If they are so sure GEJ cant win a free and fair election, they should STFU and allow the masses vote him out. SIMPLE!
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by kingbang: 2:16pm On Sep 25, 2013
classicEntity: I support GEJ, but left for me I'll advice him not to contest, because its against the constitution, which states; that no person shall take the oath of presidency more than twice and no one should exceed the number of 8 years in office.

Arrant nonsense!! The constitution states that no one should take the oath more than twice as a democratically elected president. Stop allowing people brainwash you. Let Baraje and co seek an interpretation from a law court if they are really sincere and serious about it. GEJ has the constitutional right to contest come 2015 and only GEJ can stop GEJ from contesting. NOt some idio.ts.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Dpeacemaker101: 2:17pm On Sep 25, 2013
Toktee: Allow him to contest so that he will be disgraced out,lets sent him back to otueke through ballot
you, English is your problem. When you are done with your tenses, then you can now post comments.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Dpeacemaker101: 2:28pm On Sep 25, 2013
Why do we always have drama every week from these group of corrupt governors, who have only their selfish aim in mind. It should have been clear to them by now, that they can't stop GEJ from running and winning the elections in 2015. These are cheap blackmails that won't get them anywhere, and besides the presidents speech in New York did not state that he is contesting, he only made clear the view on the tenure of a governor and president as stated by our constitution,which the rogues called the G7( seven goats) have all benefitted from. So why not allow him do his own second tenure, GEJ I know and will support.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by gtrust: 2:29pm On Sep 25, 2013
duality:

- what catastrophe are we talking about. Let's be specific.

- If Atiku has the right to contest, I see no reason GEJ does not have the right to do same.

What Catastrophy

OK, LISTEN:
If GEJ should contest (ofcourse he will) and win (ofcourse he will) 2015 election it means:
1- Chief Chukwuemeka Eze will become the FORMER national publicity secretary for the defunct nPDP- Job loss & that is a CATASTROPHY!
2- Chief will have to look for a job! again that is CATASTROPHY!
3- Where will Chief get money to marry is 18years old new girl-friend ofcourse that is CATASTROPHY!

I believe at this stage you don't want me to continue...
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Rossikk(m): 2:33pm On Sep 25, 2013
Jonathan please you MUST contest. After you win, any persons that instigate trouble, arrest them, lock them up, and throw away the keys. Any violent dissent, go in there and LEVEL the place with your troops as Commander-in-Chief. Spare no one. Thanks.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Nobody: 2:34pm On Sep 25, 2013
gtrust:

What Catastrophy

OK, LISTEN:
If GEJ should contest (ofcourse he will) and win (ofcourse he will) 2015 election it means:
1- Chief Chukwuemeka Eze will become the FORMER national publicity secretary for the defunct nPDP- Job loss & that is a CATASTROPHY!
3- Where will Chief get money to marry is 18years old new girl-friend ofcourse that is CATASTROPHY!

How old are you?
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by kingbang: 2:42pm On Sep 25, 2013
ledafaze:

How old are you?

He is old enough to know that Chukwuemeka Ezeh is just a sycophant!
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by gtrust: 2:49pm On Sep 25, 2013
ledafaze:

How old are you?

I am NOT contesting.
I don't care who does.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 25, 2013
gtrust:

What Catastrophy

OK, LISTEN:

you deserve a national honor.... May your days be long and prosperous. May the God that favors Jonathan from grass to His ascension to the Presidency favor you and your family forever. Your enemies will keep being rejected like Atiku and those who want you out will weep like Buhari at your success. Any of your associate that seek to betray you will be restless like Amaechi. You shall be loved by the masses and your star will never dim.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by gtrust: 2:58pm On Sep 25, 2013
Rossikk: Jonathan please you MUST contest. After you win, any persons that instigate trouble, arrest them, lock them up, and throw away the keys. Any violent dissent, go in there and LEVEL the place with your troops as Commander-in-Chief. Spare no one. Thanks.

No, there will be no trouble from the North.

Reasons:
1- They know they will be next to occupy Aso Rock.
2- They will want GEJ's support for their preferred candidate
3- Just like when YarAdua was 'annointed' to contest the election, everybody will queue up behind the 'annointed one' because there are SO MANY positions available to the president for appointments etc
4- SAI SAMBO
5- SAI SAMBO/ANYIM PIUS 2019
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by gtrust: 2:59pm On Sep 25, 2013
barcanista: you deserve a national honor.... May your days be long and prosperous. May the God that favors Jonathan from grass to His ascension to the Presidency favor you and your family forever. Your enemies will keep being rejected like Atiku and those who want you out will weep like Buhari at your success. Any of your associate that seek to betray you will be restless like Amaechi. You shall be loved by the masses and your star will never dim.

Thank you and I wish you the same!

Nigeria is our ONLY Country!
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 25, 2013
gtrust:

No, there will be no trouble from the North.

Reasons:
1- They know they will be next to occupy Aso Rock.
2- They will want GEJ's support for their preferred candidate
3- Just like when YarAdua was 'annointed' to contest the election, everybody will queue up behind the 'annointed one' because there are SO MANY positions available to the president for appointments etc
4- SAI SAMBO
5- SAI SAMBO/ANYIM PIUS 2019
For you to mention Sambo and Anyim for 2019, I now know how you think.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by PassingShot(m): 3:10pm On Sep 25, 2013
barcanista: I opened this thread to see where in the constitution that it was stated the Jonathan Ebele GCFR is barred from re-contesting, but all I read is their usual noise which we are already used to.

Let me be clear,

You sound just like the typical politicians - no respect for promises and they don't always "give a damn" about the consequences of failure to stand by their promises/words. To them, moralilty, dignity and principles have no meaning in their dictionary. This is part of the reasons Nigeria is failing - failure to stand by the truth irrespective of whose ox is gored.
As an individual, I will feel bad toward anyone who has deceived me to get my support on certain conditions and later turning his back when the time to fulfil his promises has come. It is called hypocrisy, deceit and stabbing in my dictionary.
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by gtrust: 3:14pm On Sep 25, 2013
ledafaze:
For you to mention Sambo and Anyim for 2019, I now know how you think.

Yeah!
I think ONLY about what is best for OUR great Country Nigeria!

Ofcourse, I am a Nigerian and Nigeria is OUR ONLY true Country!
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by nuclearboy(m): 3:29pm On Sep 25, 2013
kingbang:

So why the fear from the Northerners and their slaves?. If they are so sure GEJ cant win a free and fair election, they should STFU and allow the masses vote him out. SIMPLE!

Who is really afraid? Let there be open primaries with him contesting against Lamido or Amaechi or Atiku or ALL of them (4 candidates)! Why is he afraid of that and angling for an automatic ticket?

They say there was an agreement but he refuses to state point blank if he indeed promised and is now reneging! He just says he has the right to contest (which is true)! So, contest, but NOT holding an automatic ticket!
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by jamace(m): 3:42pm On Sep 25, 2013
Does ATIKU know that he is not eligible to be president of Nigeria having been sworn in 2 times with OBASANJO? If ATIKU is eligible then JONATHAN is eligible. Q.E.D

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by jamace(m): 3:44pm On Sep 25, 2013
^^
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by dridowu: 3:59pm On Sep 25, 2013
Whether Lamido/Amechi/GEJ/Baraje/Bamanga/Bode/Atiku/Sambo (in short FEEDEEFEE), i will never vote for them again in any election from councillor upto Presi. I dont trust them anymore but with sincerity i am enjoying ds there roforofoism
Re: Jonathan Ineligible To Run In 2015 – New PDP by kingbang: 4:00pm On Sep 25, 2013
nuclearboy:

Who is really afraid? Let there be open primaries with him contesting against Lamido or Amaechi or Atiku or ALL of them (4 candidates)! Why is he afraid of that and angling for an automatic ticket?

They say there was an agreement but he refuses to state point blank if he indeed promised and is now reneging! He just says he has the right to contest (which is true)! So, contest, but NOT holding an automatic ticket!

Like for real? Do you really reason with your brains sir? Who is angling for an automatic ticket? Didnt GEJ pummel this same Atiku in the last PDP primaries? Was the last PDP mini-convention(the one Atiku and his co-losers walked out on) not free and fair?. Why not wait till 2015 and see if there wont be a free and fair primaries. Truth is, the Northern machinery have lost control of PDP and the only way for them to get to power in 2015 is to try and destabilize it. If they are not afraid of GEJ, there wont have been a need for "a new PDP", they would have easily dislodged his hold on the party or allow him contest and defeat him properly. We are not all dumb please.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Just Saw Jim Iyke Undergoing Deliverance In Synagogue / Fasola's 300M Cars And South West Media / Obahiagbon's Reaction To Police Invasion Of The National Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.