Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves (6773 Views)

Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Dry Up By 2050 - Experts / Crude Oil Reserves Decline To 31.81 Billion Barrels / Chinese Firms Offer Us$50 Bln For 6 billion barrels of Oil Reserves In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by CARUSO(m): 12:03pm On Jun 25, 2008
What would nigeria be like without its vast oil reserves?! Has the oil reserve fuelled corruption, over-reliance, loss of properties, insecurity and violence? What are your views nairalanders?! Thanks.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by bilymuse: 1:58pm On Jun 25, 2008
There wont be any money to pay soldiers, police civil workers and other essential services. there wont be money for our corrupt politician to mismanage. most companies, especially oil related, will simply dissappear. our abandone projects and crumbling infrastructure will finally crumble. the oil communities will be left with a catastrophic environmental disaster, that will last for generation. crime will spiral out of control, with the army and police leading gangs of robbers. Its a frightening scenario.

Oil bring in more than 95% of the country revenue. most state in Nigeria are not viable, even the federal government is not viable. we rely on oil for survival

Nigeria will have to break up. Nigeria is nothing without oil.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by noetic(m): 2:06pm On Jun 25, 2008
bilymuse:

There wont be any money to pay soldiers, police civil workers and other essential services. there wont be money for our corrupt politician to mismanage. most companies, especially oil related, will simply dissappear. our abandone projects and crumbling infrastructure will finally crumble. the oil communities will be left with a catastrophic environmental disaster, that will last for generation. crime will spiral out of control, with the army and police leading gangs of robbers. Its a frightening scenario.

Oil bring in more than 95% of the country revenue. most state in Nigeria are not viable, even the federal government is not viable. we rely on oil for survival

Nigeria will have to break up. Nigeria is nothing without oil.

wrong my dear. Nigeria was doing very well b4 oil was discovered.
without oil, we will bcom an industrializes nation in 15 years
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jun 25, 2008
Nigeria would be way better and we would have been spared the leprous governments of Shagari, Babangida, Abacha and Abubakar.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by yemmight(m): 5:24pm On Jun 25, 2008
Infact, it would have been a better place to leave without oil.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by Beline(f): 6:50pm On Jun 25, 2008
Don't forget that we have many natural resources waiting to be explore, just that our leaders are narrow minded and are ready to do nothing but steal
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by bilymuse: 11:44pm On Jun 25, 2008
my brothers, do not analyse issues with emotion or blind optimism. Nigeria has gone far beyond the days of cocoa and groundnuts. oil is the new reality. without oil Nigeria will look like Chad or Niger republic.

To compound the issues the ethnic groups do not like each other. the Ibo's don't want to be part of Nigeria, and they are saying it daily, loud and clear. if the opportunity arise Niger delta will break away. Take a referendum among the Yoruba's and you will get 70% vote for succession. the middlebelt do not see sense in the union, only the far north seems to be clinging because of their domination of government.

Countries that are strong and united are bind together by a common ideal and belief. In Nigeria there is nothing binding us together; different religion, culture, belief , ideas. The only thing that is holding Nigeria together is oil. when the oil finish , the party is over, and everybody must go home.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by CARUSO(m): 12:41am On Jun 26, 2008
davidylan:

Nigeria would be way better and we would have been spared the leprous governments of Shagari, Babangida, Abacha and Abubakar.

good talk!!!
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by buchio7(m): 4:49pm On Jun 26, 2008
bilymuse:

my brothers, do not analyse issues with emotion or blind optimism. Nigeria has gone far beyond the days of cocoa and groundnuts. oil is the new reality. without oil Nigeria will look like Chad or Niger republic.

To compound the issues the ethnic groups do not like each other. the Ibo's don't want to be part of Nigeria, and they are saying it daily, loud and clear. if the opportunity arise Niger delta will break away. Take a referendum among the Yoruba's and you will get 70% vote for succession. the middlebelt do not see sense in the union, only the far north seems to be clinging because of their domination of government.

Countries that are strong and united are bind together by a common ideal and belief. In Nigeria there is nothing binding us together; different religion, culture, belief , ideas. The only thing that is holding Nigeria together is oil. when the oil finish , the party is over, and everybody must go home.

totally disagree and some exponents will further tell u dat our problem started when oil came onto the scene, all dese so called differences are just put in place by selfish,mindless politicians and to an extent so called crusaders for there own selfish gains,

the issue actually under focus here is if we can survive without oil and to dat there is a loud unequivocable , YES
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by Seun(m): 4:53pm On Jun 26, 2008
Nigeria without oil would definitely be a poorer country. But it would have a more diverse, robust economy.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by CARUSO(m): 4:58pm On Jun 26, 2008
Seun:

Nigeria without oil would definitely be a poorer country. But it would have a more diverse, robust economy.

Yeah i agree, we would be a poorer nation!
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by buchio7(m): 5:07pm On Jun 26, 2008
Seun:

it is such alarmist statements dat have made leaders not have the urgency to diversify the economy of this nation, what kind of talk is dis? do u mean dat if the groundnut pyramids come back full stream as well as the cocoa plantations are optimally harnessed for exports dat we can not be richer than we presently are?

okay, nigeria is rich with oil today but how has dat wealth reflected in the standard of living of its people?

abeg, abeg, we have the potential to be a more prosperous country without oil , which country in africa is blessed with resources like us? we have gold,platinum(have u checked dere prices currently ?),bauxite,bitumen(for crying out loud) tantalite e.t.c.

i use e.t.c. cause they are truelly innumerable,

oil is good but we have so much more greater resources we could put into play to fast track our development

please dont believe we cant survive without oil
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by jintujinta(m): 5:09pm On Jun 26, 2008
"Ki agbado too de, inkankan ni adiye nje" Before the discovery of maize chickens fed on something. Nigeria survived buoyantly with agriculture before the discovery of oil. So without oil, Nigeria will only open her eyes to new areas that are yet untapped. Do you know how many mineral resources we have in Kogi state?

Let us not deceive ourselves necessity is the mother of invention. Nigeria can survive without oil. When the oil ceases to be, we will shift to other resources. But it would have been better for us to develop those resources now so that the transition period from oil to those resources would not be too trying.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by buchio7(m): 5:14pm On Jun 26, 2008
jintujinta:

"Ki agbado too de, inkankan ni adiye nje" Before the discovery of maize chickens fed on something.

Let us not deceive ourselves necessity is the mother of invention. Nigeria can survive without oil.

thank you very much
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 26, 2008
We have not heard about a fool at forty is a fool forever? If and when the Nigerian oil finishes, every region will head home and forget about Abuja jobs. Other regions that are enjoying oil now will open eyes and say no to the federal Government coming to tap the untapped resources. I know people don't want what they do to others. Nigeria without oil is a disintegrated nation. Look at what is happening to Zimbabwe after Mugabe drove the White farmers, the non-farming trained Zimbabweans can not fill in. How many of you talking here, have a farm land with crops?? You hang in townships while 80-yr-olds do the farming!!!
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by Epiphany(m): 6:00pm On Jun 26, 2008
Nigeria without oil is in big trouble. Yes, i know that there are a lot more resources here that should keep us afloat and prosperous, but all that is only talk for now!
The transition period between the 'end' of the oil era and the 'discovery' of new minerals is going to be very difficult. Knowing our 'foolishness', even if we are told that the oil will finish in the next 10 years, we will not start planning for other resources NOW. As usual, we will take the firebrigade approach and wait for the oil to dry up completely first.
THERE WILL BE A LOT OF SUFFERING.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by Busuguma(m): 6:27pm On Jun 26, 2008
bilymuse:

bilymuse, let me be among those who disagree with your blatant
lies. you dont hide your hatred to the north and this shows how
narrow your perception of Nigeria is. people like you need to go
out and shine their eyes around the country. tell me a single state
in nigeria where you wont find all the ethnic groups? to cut the
story shot you will agree with me that marriage is one of the strongest
bond ever existed in the history of man, I must confess to you that
inter-marriages between all the ethnic groups in nigeria is growing
at a faster rate which in time to come will bring an end to all the
tribalisms, religious intollerence and sectionalism to a standstill.

this is not the time for us to be blaming south, west or north in nigeria,
lets talk about the cliques in all the regions who have been ripping this
country since time immemorial and on the other hand instigate the
poor hungry man into taking arms and kill his fellow poor man.

nigeria is a better country if at all these our leaders will allow that. what
are we short of? before the discovery of oil there is no single region in
nigeria that is not engaged in one thing or the other.

God in His infinite mercies distributes wealth (mineral resources) the
way he wants it not because there are people he loved, He did it in
His own wisdom and only Him knows.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by merge(f): 6:42pm On Jun 26, 2008
Better
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by pastorking(m): 6:59pm On Jun 26, 2008
Nigerians will think better, act better, reason better, behave better, and above all be guided by the fact that they must work harder to make money and not just sit down somewhere expecting oil money. Remember the Malaysian story. I think they are doing better than us now.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by darqly(m): 7:08pm On Jun 26, 2008
No, we won't be doomed without oil, we'd just be less profligate and more ingenious. AND,de clowns in the Niger delta who have turned to terrorists can just as well guzzle any crude they stumble across.
Nigeria does not necessarily have to even run out of oil, all that has to happen is for the world to evolve a cheaper, cleaner alternative to oil.

Nigerians will think better, act better, reason better, behave better, and above all be guided by the fact that they must work harder to make money and not just sit down somewhere expecting oil money. Remember the Malaysian story. I think they are doing better than us now.

@ Pastorking, well said. Malaysia has grown to where it is by planting and exporting what type of crop? CHIEFLY Palm oil!

So the myopic ones insisting that we can't make it through agriculture really have to reasses their line of thought.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by SkyBlue1: 7:11pm On Jun 26, 2008
LOL, this thread is amusing. Shouldn't the title be something along the lines of "what good has oil wealth brought Nigeria"? How can we ignore the over riding corruption in government and the irritatingly non-chalant attitude of the citizenry towards this? The country has had all this money from oil and has not been able to use it and then all of a sudden if oil goes and we "tap" into new resources then that would automatically stop corruption? I ask, is that not just wishful thinking? Please let us refuse to continue living in fantasy and deceiving ourselves with "it would be better without oil" when oil is not the problem, the citizenry is the problem. Until Nigerians wake up to their responsibility and duty towards developing their own country the rest is just a people telling themselves sweet stories so that they can sleep well at night. Nigeria has not been able to use the money we have to develop the country but all of a sudden the money from other ventures is going to be used effectively? So the money from other ventures, is it going to be special anti corruption money?  Why must we always look for the short cut to by pass the fundamental problem or take the very long road in order to avoid confrontation with the real issues? WOW.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by tpia: 8:11pm On Jun 26, 2008
From what I've heard, before oil was discovered the naira used to be stronger than the dollar.

abi na lie my elders dey talk?
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by lonelypal(m): 8:39pm On Jun 26, 2008
Sky Blue:

LOL, this thread is amusing. Shouldn't the title be something along the lines of "what good has oil wealth brought Nigeria"? How can we ignore the over riding corruption in government and the irritatingly non-chalant attitude of the citizenry towards this? The country has had all this money from oil and has not been able to use it and then all of a sudden if oil goes and we "tap" into new resources then that would automatically stop corruption? I ask, is that not just wishful thinking? Please let us refuse to continue living in fantasy and deceiving ourselves with "it would be better without oil" when oil is not the problem, the citizenry is the problem. Until Nigerians wake up to their responsibility and duty towards developing their own country the rest is just a people telling themselves sweet stories so that they can sleep well at night. Nigeria has not been able to use the money we have to develop the country but all of a sudden the money from other ventures is going to be used effectively? So the money from other ventures, is it going to be special anti corruption money? Why must we always look for the short cut to by pass the fundamental problem or take the very long road in order to avoid confrontation with the real issues? WOW.

word!,
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by Nigeria14: 10:13pm On Jun 26, 2008
Nigeria without oil is  ___________        .   Nigeria with out is a place where we have ________          .  Nigeria without or is a country with  __________      tribal.  Nigeria without oil is a country with _________ people.

Nigeria why we need to build nigeria now, so that when we have no oil the love we build today would hold us together.   Please fill empty space with the word EMPTY .

http://.com

Watch naija Television online.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by mystikal(m): 10:39pm On Jun 26, 2008
Oil in itself hasnt been the problem, the character of the people and govt is?

A word of warning tho, With d World increasingly campaigning and researching agressively for alternative sources of energy, Nigeria would better diversifying the economy
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by LAKANYE(m): 1:07am On Jun 27, 2008
[b]You guys must agree with me on my preconceived judgments about what NIGERIA will be without our oily endowments?
I agreed with Seun on his comments
I agreed with every other comments too, as we are all on the right track
I strongly feels that the Almighty God has always been on our sides, with regard to natural resources and endowments in NIGERIA. There are innumerable and undiscovered natural resources still untapped, undiscovered in usefulness, un-utilized resources. We had survived successfully back in the days when Cocoa was the "oil" and "cocaine" of the world. We survived when rubber, plantain, cassava, stockfish, and other natural endowments were the economic bedrocks of our NIGERIAN economy.
I BELIEVE WE WILL SURVIVE OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN NIGERIA WITHOUT A FLOW OF OIL. IF THE WORSE COMES TO THE WORSE, WE WILL START SELLING EACH OTHER TO SERVITUDE, A MILLION DOLLAR PER HEAD. A HUMAN TRADING ACROSS THE BENIN REPUBLIC BORDERLINE IS CURRENTLY GOING ON, AND BEING EXPOSED BY THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT.

WE WILL ALWAYS REMAIN WHAT WE ARE. N I G E R I A (A COUNTRY OF INTERNATIONAL SURVIVALS)
OUR SURVIVAL CAPABILITIES AS HUMAN HAD ENDOWED US NIGERIANS TO BE SCATTERED ALL OVER THE WORLD. THERE ARE NO HIDDEN CRANING AROUND THE WORLD WHERE YOU MAY NOT FIND AN HAUSA, IBO, EFIK, EDO, UROBO, OR SOME YORUBA MAN WITH ALL HIS CONCUBINES STRUGGLING WITH LIFE INTERNATIONALLY[/b]
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by Nigeria14: 1:38am On Jun 27, 2008
This is why we need to tell Bankole not to hold us to ransom and list which member would be in the constitution review . which must be now.
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by Akolawole(m): 2:54am On Jun 27, 2008
A Nigeria without Oli is a good Nigeria.

Oil boom finished our Country.

It encourages Robbers in Agbada to takeup the mantle of leadership.

Awolowo used Cocoa money to do wonders in the West in those days. I believe Zik and Sarduana does as well in East and North.

What do we have now? Alao-Akala in Ibadan, Ngigwein the east, Alams in Oil city among others
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by comechop(m): 6:19am On Jun 27, 2008
Ok I wasnt gonna reply on this thread, but somethings I saw here just made me do that.
Some pple writing here are totally sensible and I respect that. But as for some others, it leaves much to still be required.
Before Oil, Nigeria was a prosperous booming country. Oil came and contributed to the state that we are in. It just [/b]contributed[b], its not the sole cause of it.
And now, if we take away oil, you are myopic if you think that our problems will be solved there. The issue has turned from being a natural resource problem, to a management issue, and with management issues u are dealing with people.
Its the mindset people, OUR MINDSET. Oil and corruption et al and seriously affected our mindset and thinking.
So now even if oil goes, and another resource comes and takes it place, we may still prob hav the same problem, because the mindset hasnt changed.
That said and done, I also want to agree with [/b]Bilimuse[b] even tho [/b]Busuguma[b] may disagree and call him racist.
He most def. has a valid point. Many diff. tribes are calling here and there for succession, BUT the North n Hausa, because they are in power. Even you cannot deny that if you want to be honest with yourself. I mean you check out the history, compare how many Northern/Hausa presidnts we've had compared to other tribes,
BUT that being said, I AM NOT RACIST and I AM ALL FOR A UNITED NIGERIA.
God help our motherland. We cant stop praying for this country.
Peace
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by buchio7(m): 6:38am On Jun 27, 2008
There is no need for all dis too much talk, Nigeria will most definitely survive even better without oil,

yes the managers of d resources have been and are still stumbling blocks to d redistribution of wealth among d populace but still if i get d title of dis thread well, the question is " Nigeria without its vast oil reserves" not "Nigeria without its people",

there is no country on earth without corrupt people the issue is making sure the right people are in places of governance while d wrong ones are in prison, chikena!!
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by ofurufu(m): 8:25am On Jun 27, 2008
Pre-Oil Nigeria was better. So without Oil at all, Nigeria will not have problem. But having become 'spoilt' by oil now,if the Oil dries up today,we are in trouble!!!
Re: Nigeria Without It's Vast Oil Reserves by ofurufu(m): 8:33am On Jun 27, 2008
tpia:

From what I've heard, before oil was discovered the naira used to be stronger than the dollar.

abi na lie my elders dey talk?

Partially right but it appears you did not understand your elders well. Dollar overtook Naira in 1984,long after Oil.

In our oil history you need to understand that that is a difference between the period oil
1,Was discovered
2,dicovered in commercial quantity, and
3,the famous oil boom period.

You used DISCOVERY not BOOM. BOOM,not DISCOVERY,period is closer to the period our problem started than DISCOVERY period. Boom took place in early to mid-1970s. Discovery decades earlier.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Freezes Ibru’s N500bn Bank Accounts / The A-z Of Gani’s Will - Made Lifetime Provisions For First Son, Love Child / Biafra Flag! The Meaning By Carol Munday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.