Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? (41763 Views)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / Can you translate this Colours In Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 27, 2013
WHITE-OCHA

BLACK-OJI

RED- OBARA

IGBO..

ALL I KNOW
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by homesteady(m): 5:28pm On Sep 27, 2013
Mubby4luv: LOL.
Hausa on point.
1 bak'i-black
2 fari -white
3 ja -red
4 ja-ja- pink
5 kore- green
6 launin jar garura -purple
7 launoni-colors
8 mai ruwan k'asa -brown
9 mai ruwan lemo -orange
10 mai ruwan toka-toka -gray
11 rawaye -yellow
12 shud'i -blue

cheesy walahi ki maya hausa!

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Brimmie(m): 5:29pm On Sep 27, 2013
Duuuuh!!
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by pkween(f): 5:34pm On Sep 27, 2013
In Esan:Red is ogian,white is Efua/ofua,black is ovwili/uwimhi,Blue is bulu.I don try.I like the topic
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by quin9(f): 5:35pm On Sep 27, 2013
White- afia
Black- iwewen
Red- idadad
Yellow - uten

Dats in IBIBIO(ikono to be specific)
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 27, 2013
toluxa1: Indigo - I no know ooo ...lol
Ok.. In Yoruba

White - Funfun
Black - dúdú
Blue - àwö sánmà
Brown - àwö ara
Yellow - ìyèyè
Gold - wúrà
Silver - fàdákà
Grey - àwö eléérú
Pink - pupa fêêrê
Red - Pupa
Purple - àwö elésè àlùkò

Green - àwö ewéko / aligà

God bless ur local government
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by BarryX(m): 5:37pm On Sep 27, 2013
Annie2gud: Lol...this must be very tasking.However let me try.The isokos calls Red..(iredi)blue(i blue)white(ofua fon)the rest i dnt know how to put them to writing.Lolz almost Bit my Tongue.
Still Isoko-- The ones I know ooo
Black- Obiebi
The others are probably the isokoic variation of the English version like you correctly mentioned.
Such as
Blue - ibulu
Purple-- eporpo
Just like that till !
That's my humble locomati
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by countryfirst: 5:38pm On Sep 27, 2013
fulani

black - balejum-mbalewal
white- danejum-ndanewal
red bodejum
green bokko bokko

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by kingk(m): 5:39pm On Sep 27, 2013
Chei.....IGBO kwenu! Kwenu!! Kwezuenu grin grin......Una don carry last here oh
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Hopez456(m): 5:41pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ok.. In Yoruba

White - Funfun
Black - dúdú
Blue - àwö sánmà
Brown - àwö ara
Yellow - ìyèyè
Gold - wúrà
Silver - fàdákà
Grey - àwö eléérú
Pink - pupa fêêrê
Red - Pupa
Purple - àwö elésè àlùkò

You really tried, you must have got a B.A in Yoruba
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by felifeli: 5:42pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ok.. In Yoruba

White - Funfun
Black - dúdú
Blue - àwö sánmà
Brown - àwö ara
Yellow - ìyèyè
Gold - wúrà
Silver - fàdákà
Grey - àwö eléérú
Pink - pupa fêêrê
Red - Pupa
Purple - àwö elésè àlùkò

Well done O kare!
Indigo - aro
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Idunobaehis(m): 5:42pm On Sep 27, 2013
Red - ododo
white - ofefe/ochan
black - oji
brown - ufie
all in Ika language
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Mayany(m): 5:50pm On Sep 27, 2013
Languages too plenty 4 9ja sef which state is Isi izu again?To d topic the Urhobos call Black»Obiebi
White»ofuanfo
Red»Obara{blood}etc
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 27, 2013
Red-rouge
Orange- d’orange
Yellow-Jaune
Green-vert
Blue-bleu
Purple-pourpre
Pink-rose
Brown-marron
Black-noir
Grey-gris
White-blanc

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 27, 2013
Very lovely topic.
Had been looking for threads like this so I can learn.
But how can I pronounce all these especially those yoruba ones.
Have been trying them since.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 27, 2013
kingk: Chei.....IGBO kwenu! Kwenu!! Kwezuenu grin grin......Una don carry last here oh
Naaa Igbo here I come

White....Ocha
Black...Oji
Red...Obara, Uhie
Gold/Rusty....Nkarafa
Silver....Edo Edo
Grey....Ntu Ntu
Green....Ndu Ndu
Blue.....Elu-Igwe Elu-Igwe
Yellow...Anwu Anwu
Orange...Oroma Oroma
Brown.... Aruru Aruru

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool....... I too Much

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
AmBeautiful: Red-rouge
Orange- d’orange
Yellow-Jaune
Green-vert
Blue-bleu
Purple-pourpre
Pink-rose
Brown-marron
Black-noir
Grey-gris
White-blanc

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Is french your local language... undecided undecided
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by slam7000(m): 6:15pm On Sep 27, 2013
Red..Ufie ufie/obara obara
yellow..edo edo
green..akwukwu ndu akwukwo ndu
white..ocha
black..oji oji
brown..aja aja
grey..ntu ntu
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by slam7000(m): 6:18pm On Sep 27, 2013
kayci_d77:
Naaa Igbo here I come

White....Ocha
Black...Oji
Red...Obara, Uhie
Gold/Rusty....Nkarafa
Silver....Edo Edo
Grey....Ntu Ntu
Green....Ndu Ndu
Yellow...Anwu Anwu
Orange...Oroma Oroma
Brown.... Aruru Aruru

Edo...isnt silvery colour..
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by agehero13(f): 6:19pm On Sep 27, 2013
I only know black and white, black- obiebi, white- ofwanfo
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by pazienza(m): 6:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
slam7000:

Edo...isnt silvery colour..

Yea, yellow is edo. Example: Ola edo means gold, which when literary translated can be read as yellow jewellery,cos ola is jewellery and edo is yellow.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by kingk(m): 6:28pm On Sep 27, 2013
Please oh! If people should call white =ocha and yelow =edo in igbo, then what is gold and silver in igbo?
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by pazienza(m): 6:31pm On Sep 27, 2013
kayci_d77:
Naaa Igbo here I come

White....Ocha
Black...Oji
Red...Obara, Uhie
Gold/Rusty....Nkarafa
Silver....Edo Edo
Grey....Ntu Ntu
Green....Ndu Ndu
Yellow...Anwu Anwu
Orange...Oroma Oroma
Brown.... Aruru Aruru

Anwu anwu means grey, like you have in 'isi anwu', meaning grey hair. Rusty should be ''nchara', oroma for orange? I doubt, i don't even think oroma is an igbo word,oroma sounds like a borrowed word, blue is 'anunu'.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by pazienza(m): 6:33pm On Sep 27, 2013
kingk: Please oh! If people should call white =ocha and yelow =edo in igbo, then what is gold and silver in igbo?

Gold is 'Ola edo',ie yellow jewellery, silver is 'ola ocha',ie white jewellery.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by kingk(m): 6:37pm On Sep 27, 2013
pazienza:

Gold is 'Ola edo',ie yellow jewellery, silver is 'ola ocha',ie white jewellery.

I know that there's a gold colour and a silver as well as white and yellow, but calling yellow gold and white silver...they are not the same thing.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by paniki(m): 6:39pm On Sep 27, 2013
all4naija: Lol... only the basic colors can be listed by few.

I doubt there is name for 'computer' in any Nigerian local language. Just curious to know as many locals have barely seen one before.

LOL
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by ayobase(m): 6:47pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ok.. In Yoruba

White - Funfun
Black - dúdú
Blue - àwö sánmà
Brown - àwö ara
Yellow - ìyèyè
Gold - wúrà
Silver - fàdákà
Grey - àwö eléérú
Pink - pupa fêêrê
Red - Pupa
Purple - àwö elésè àlùkò

Ooooooooooose!
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by charlydamianpat(m): 7:01pm On Sep 27, 2013
Omo all of una don fail. But me sef no know am sha
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Stunner1(f): 7:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
Lol
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by olaNL: 7:09pm On Sep 27, 2013
i am just feeling your yoruba smiley we need more people like you in the society. smiley
Ok.. In Yoruba

White - Funfun
Black - dúdú
Blue - àwö sánmà
Brown - àwö ara
Yellow - ìyèyè
Gold - wúrà
Silver - fàdákà
Grey - àwö eléérú
Pink - pupa fêêrê
Red - Pupa
Purple - àwö elésè àlùkò

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by nenergy(m): 7:22pm On Sep 27, 2013
I'm Efik/Ibibio and i know only 3 colours. Atleast those are the primary ones i grew up hearing. Red is Ndadat
Black-Nwewen
White-Afia
*Eyen AkwaIbom*
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Abmalcom(m): 7:38pm On Sep 27, 2013
Okun-Yoruba

1. Red- Pupa (Osun)
2. Black- Dudu (Aro)
3. White- Funfun (Efun)
4. Yellow - Aghinrin (Ayinrin)
5. Green - Awo Eghe (awo ewe)
6. Brown- (Awo Ile)
7. Grey - Awo Eeru
8. Blue - Yinkin (Aro Kiun)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photo Of Ooni Enitan Adeyeye-Ogunwusi As A Corper / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / 8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.