Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? (41699 Views)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / Can you translate this Colours In Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 6:21am On Sep 28, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
Red - ododo
white - ofefe/ochan
black - oji
brown - ufie
all in Ika language
Uwaoma o! Nani? ya mari asu ika? Ole ebe a Ali ika ya si?
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 28, 2013
all4naija: Lol... only the basic colors can be listed by few.

I doubt there is name for 'computer' in any Nigerian local language. Just curious to know as many locals have barely seen one before.
Mind you, the word "computer" is a basic universal term, so it need not be translated in any Nigeria language/dialect. Perhaps, its a mordern invention. Penny for your thoughts!
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 6:42am On Sep 28, 2013
Ray McBlue: Repping the Rainbow Nation.

Color names in isiZulu.

1. -bomvu = red
2. -liphuzi = yellow
3. -luhlaza = green
4. -luhlaza okwesibhakabhaka = blue
5. -mhlophe = white
6. -mnyama = black
7. -mpunga = gray
8. -nsundu = brown
9. orenji = orange
10. phephuli = purple
11. phinki = Pink
I like this! Kudos!
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 6:45am On Sep 28, 2013
AmBeautiful: Red-rouge
Orange- d’orange
Yellow-Jaune
Green-vert
Blue-bleu
Purple-pourpre
Pink-rose
Brown-marron
Black-noir
Grey-gris
White-blanc

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Well done! However, Brown =brun in the french I speak.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 28, 2013
kingk: Please oh! If people should call white =ocha and yelow =edo in igbo, then what is gold and silver in igbo?
I answered your question already. Go to page 2
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 28, 2013
Godson201333:

ha bros che you be Cele pastkor abi babalwo this one wey you sabi all colors??
Lol! My friend take your time. cheesy •´¨) 
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸¸.•´(¸.•´(¸.• cheesy
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 28, 2013
Godson201333:

ha bros che you be Cele pastkor abi babalwo this one wey you sabi all colors??
Lol! My friend take your time.
cheesy •´¨) 
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸¸.•´(¸.•´(¸.• cheesy
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 7:03am On Sep 28, 2013
Soloter: in Tiv of Benue;
Red - Nyian dindee
Orange - agbedang fuung
Yellow - agbedang
Green - sholshol
Blue - kwer
Purple - fuung
Pink - Nyian
Brown - Nyian fuung
Black - ii
Grey - ikyaren
White - pupuu
That's why I love the Tiv people.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Fourcade(m): 7:10am On Sep 28, 2013
BellaDonaFema:
Well done! However, Brown =brun in the french I speak.

Both can be used for brown.Marron is more applicable.Brun applies to petty things like hair,beers...while marron is for eyes and objects.

No need to get technical about it anyway cheesy
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 28, 2013
Codedeben: I rep Egun (REPUBLIC DU BENIN)
black -ori
blue - gbogbo
red-won
yellow- ti
indigo- daru
pink- walahi
grey-wannan
violet-Saboda
brown -rashin
gold-aiki
You mustn't comment! Ori tie nan daru sogbo? Kuro l'ati bi, ti o ba fe ko nkakan n'ibe! Alakori! Jati jati! Oni ranu! Rashin me? Na gan ba ka da kirki walahi!
Translation: your own head has gone on transfer, not ours. Pls kindly take a bow if you have nothing enlightening to contribute to this topic at hand. Thank you.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by agog: 7:12am On Sep 28, 2013
Indigo is called aro in Yoruba.
toluxa1: Indigo - I no know ooo ...lol
Ok.. In Yoruba

White - Funfun
Black - dúdú
Blue - àwö sánmà
Brown - àwö ara
Yellow - ìyèyè
Gold - wúrà
Silver - fàdákà
Grey - àwö eléérú
Pink - pupa fêêrê
Red - Pupa
Purple - àwö elésè àlùkò

Green - àwö ewéko / aligà
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 7:19am On Sep 28, 2013
Fourcade:

Both can be used for brown.Marron is more applicable.Brun applies to petty things like hair,beers...while marron is for eyes and objects.

No need to get technical about it anyway cheesy
I see! Good to know. Noted. French isn't my language, so I told you what I ve been taught and ve been speaking for a very long while now. Thanks immensely.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 28, 2013
Freiburger: I believe every colour has a name in every language.
Apart from the popular black and white most of us know about, do you know the names of the basic popular colours in your local language?
If yes, please enter the names against this list of these basic colours in your local language. You can add more colours at your own wish.

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Pink
Brown
Black
Grey
White
You Op! What are these colours called in your language?
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by IVKwears(m): 8:11am On Sep 28, 2013
Freiburger: I believe every colour has a name in every language.
Apart from the popular black and white most of us know about, do you know the names of the basic popular colours in your local language?
If yes, please enter the names against this list of these basic colours in your local language. You can add more colours at your own wish.
I am 4rm Benue Nigeria 10x...
Red-Odo
Orange-Aremu
Yellow-Onowa
Green-achieme
Blue
Purple
Pink
Brown-Ageh
Black-Onobi
Grey-Ahola
White
-Onole
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by toluxa1(m): 8:44am On Sep 28, 2013
jeebz:

Ifelodun tibo niyen se Ipinle Osun tabi Kwara?

ti Kwara

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by slimthugchimee(m): 8:45am On Sep 28, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
Well, in igbo language, when the colours are used as adjectives, any common item possessing the same colour as what is being described, is used to identify the colour of such object. For example.. Obara obara is used to describe red (Obara means blood). Anwu anwu is used to describe light in colour (anwu means sun). Itiri is used to describe black (itiri means darkness)
u r ryt jux lyk black ona eji oji white ocha bt secondary coloz dnt hv igbo names i also undastnd dat igbo coloz r always double wordz lyk eji oji acha ocha anyara anyara
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by humpito(m): 8:56am On Sep 28, 2013
all4naija: Lol... only the basic colors can be listed by few.

I doubt there is name for 'computer' in any Nigerian local language. Just curious to know as many locals have barely seen one before.
Computer is ero ayarabiasa in yoruba

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by EzePromoe: 9:32am On Sep 28, 2013
emma_best2000: correct one here Ezigbo Nwa afo Igbo ,
Oga- diri gi Mma grin

Iseeee! cheesy
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Picollothedon: 9:40am On Sep 28, 2013
Lionbite: In yoruba we say
red- pupa
black- dudu
white- funfun
i dont know the rest o.....but we do improvise sha so..
Blue- bluuuu
Green- griiini
purple- popu......
wait let me go and check my beans on the stove.

hahahahahahahahahahaha., Honestly i can't stop smiling.. Thanks
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by balingat(m): 10:01am On Sep 28, 2013
In Yoruba language.
Red - Pupa
White - funfun
black - dudu
yellow - ofefe
green - awo eweko
ash - awo eeru
blue - awo aro
brown - awo ara
orange - awo olomi osan.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by penny01502: 10:04am On Sep 28, 2013
Annang tribe of Akwa Ibom state. White=afia black=awawen red=adadat yellow=aniuo green=awawa blue=atoto purple=mmong ibong pink=akwokwu orange= ufo brown=idana
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by slimmingcare(f): 10:45am On Sep 28, 2013
Blue-olomi aro,green-alawo ewe,Red-alawo pipon,White-alawo funfun,black-awo dudu.I tried now
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by donkross1(m): 11:20am On Sep 28, 2013
Annie2gud: Lol...this must be very tasking.However let me try.The isokos calls Red..(iredi)blue(i blue)white(ofua fon)the rest i dnt know how to put them to writing.Lolz almost Bit my Tongue.
Are you from isoko ?
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Yujin(m): 12:55pm On Sep 28, 2013
Muh: In Ebira
White-Ovuovu
Black- Ojioji
Red- Ovivi
Orange- Oromi
Off topic,
I'm curious about the Ebira language. This colour black (Oji-oji) and Orange (Oromi) is similar to same in Igbo language. I also noticed that the Ebira though not sharing any boundary with Igboland use the word 'Onye' e.g Onyeiza among others, although the 'onye' in Ebira may not mean thesame as that in Igbo. Another similarity is the fair complexion I noticed. Could their be any explanation by an Ebira person.
#Idontwishtodivertthetopic#
Thanks
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by somal: 1:33pm On Sep 28, 2013
Red: Guduud

Black: maddow (black is used derogatory in Somali and Ethiopian langauges., we dont consider ourselves blacks)

White: Cadaan

Yellow: Jalle

Green: Cagaar

Purple: Basali

Blue: Buluug

Somali Pride

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by nagoma(m): 5:03pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mubby4luv: LOL.
Hausa on point.
1 bak'i-black
2 fari -white
3 ja -red
4 ja-ja- pink
5 kore- green
6 launin jar garura -purple
7 launoni-colors
8 mai ruwan k'asa -brown
9 mai ruwan lemo -orange
10 mai ruwan toka-toka -gray
11 rawaye -yellow
12 shud'i -blue
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by nagoma(m): 5:12pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mubby4luv: LOL.
Hausa on point.
1 bak'i-black
2 fari -white
3 ja -red
4 ja-ja- pink
5 kore- green
6 launin jar garura -purple
7 launoni-colors
8 mai ruwan k'asa -brown
9 mai ruwan lemo -orange
10 mai ruwan toka-toka -gray
11 rawaye -yellow
12 shud'i -blue
"Gaskiya Ba ta Neman ado.
Ko na dadin muryar zabiya
Karya ce Mai launi bakwai
Fari da baki ga rawaya
Ga shudi ga Kuma algashi
Toka toka da Ja sun gauraya."
"....Sa'adu Zungur ( 1914 - 1958)"

it seems that SZ is referring to "green" as algashi. Green is also known as kore or tsanwa. The deep hue of purple in some local dialects is called "kurgun" . I'm sure there more names and more variations.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / Photo Of Ooni Enitan Adeyeye-Ogunwusi As A Corper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.