Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production (9648 Views)

Nigeria To Start Local Production Of Pencils In Two Years – Onu / Big Nigerian Rice Importer Switches To Large Scale Local Production And Processi / Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by Nobody: 12:23am On Sep 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Great news. But the challenge now is how to deal with the smuggling?

How I wish fellow Nigerians will see the BIG picture and recognise how our INDIVIDUAL bad behaviour hurts the nation in the end. The custom officers who are currently collecting bribes at the various borders to permit illegal movement of rice will TOMORROW join the "ordinary masses" and "children of anger" in complaining and condemning govt for high unemployment rates and maybe lack of jobs for their children, forgetting that their activities as customer officers contributed to worsening of the unemployment rate in the country.

Does this include the N1.3Billion/Yr or $32,000/day GEJ claims is not enough for his meals as it only affords him to eat only twice a day?
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by PapaBrowne(m): 1:40am On Sep 28, 2013
kingoflag:

Does this include the N1.3Billion/Yr or $32,000/day GEJ claims is not enough for his meals as it only affords him to eat only twice a day?

Been ridiculously silly in an online forum doesn't equate in anyway to being smart. There is a positive increase in Rice production and a resultant decrease in rice imports. Whether you like it or not, if saving $3billion in rice imports is a resultant effect of your assumed $32,000/day feeding, then we should double his feeding allowance to enable us reap more bountiful agricultural benefits.

Good news is good, no matter your opinions!

6 Likes

Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by tomakint: 2:04am On Sep 28, 2013
PapaBrowne:
Been ridiculously silly in an online forum doesn't equate in anyway to being smart. There and a resultant decrease in rice imports. Whether you like it or not, if saving $3billion in rice imports is a resultant effect of your assumed $32,000/day feeding, then we should double his feeding allowance to enable us reap more bountiful agricultural benefits.
PapaB, quit replying a certified troll, he is on a mission!

3 Likes

Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by taharqa: 7:59am On Sep 28, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Been ridiculously silly in an online forum doesn't equate in anyway to being smart. There is a positive increase in Rice production and a resultant decrease in rice imports. Whether you like it or not, if saving $3billion in rice imports is a resultant effect of your assumed $32,000/day feeding, then we should double his feeding allowance to enable us reap more bountiful agricultural benefits.

yaa!!
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by wesley80(m): 8:00am On Sep 28, 2013
tomakint: PapaB, quit replying a certified troll, he is on a mission!
His code name is agent T, T for troll!
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by Rossikk(m): 8:27am On Sep 28, 2013
Sometimes I have to rub my eyes to convince myself that this is Nigeria, with all this good news in all sectors. President Jonathan is blazing the trail in good governance. The good thing about this is it raises the bar for future administrations, who will be compelled to achieve, or incur the wrath of the people!

1 Like

Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 28, 2013
PapaBrowne:

People like u need to be strung upside down from the highest bridge in the city and left to starve to death with vultures hovering right above.
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 28, 2013
on a mission to rescue u backwards, mainly ignorant and tribal looneys from urselves.
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by dollarman3: 8:37am On Sep 28, 2013
we thank God for the good job been done by akin the agriculture minister.
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by tomakint: 9:43am On Sep 28, 2013
kingoflag: on a mission to rescue u backwards, mainly ignorant and tribal looneys from urselves.
Agent T, you've never disappointed on your divine call as a marauder! Next time, think deeply before you type son, this is no playing ground kid!
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by ak47mann(m): 9:51am On Sep 28, 2013
As i said before only a blind and dumbo will say GEJ is not trying cool
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 28, 2013
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 28, 2013
Agriculture has been made sexy by GEJ.

Imagine putting a stem of cassava just about 6 inches in the soil and in 6 months you have a stem as tall as 24 inches alongside tubers of cassava for garri, fufu (my best African meal), tapioca, and oh yes cassava leaf soup. My oh my, Gods bless farmers of Nigeria.

Imagine a seed of rice producing more than 1000 seeds in 6 months. This is sexy.

GEJ is sexy, He is the first president I ever voted and he has done great even in atmosphere of tribally sponsored terrorism by the travelers.

2 Likes

Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by achi4u(m): 11:57am On Sep 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I dont know about your place but here in Enugu, the market is flooded with local rice (fully labelled with PROUDLY Nigeria). Even SOME of the so called foreign rice are re-bagged local rice (I've personally heard this from distributors).
It is not a hear say.I have witness it here in Abakaliki rice mill where one oyibo man was busy buying this our local rice in large quantity and instantly pouring a red oil on to of the heap...before y know it, it wil turn to foreign rice with higher price.

This is one area i'm personally commending Chief Martin Elechi of Ebonyi state for his initiative towards agriculture ...he's getting it right.

1 Like

Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by OAM4J: 12:07pm On Sep 28, 2013
Part of the reasons why:

Lagos State Government Tuesday inaugurated a rice processing factory, which it said had the capacity to produce 20,000 metric tonnes per annum (equivalent to either 350,000 or 400,000 bags)

Governor Babatunde Fashola unveiled the factory in Imota, Lagos along with the state Commissioner for Agriculture, Mr. Gbolahan Lawal, and Minister of State for Agriculture, Mr. Alhaji Bukar Tijani Borno.

Speaking at the inauguration ceremony, the governor said the development was a wakeup call on hoodlums popularly referred β€œto as area boys to vacate the street and key in on the employment opportunities that the factory offers.”

According to him, the factory was situated on a 23,000-hectare industrial estate and had about 10,000-tonnes storage for rice paddy and 45,000-ton capacity storage for finished rice.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-unveils-mega-rice-processing-factory/115907/

The Ogun State Government on Wednesday allocated 500 hectares of land to the Lagos State Government for agricultural purposes.

The government said this in a statement jointly signed by the governors of Ogun and Lagos states, Ibikunle Amosun and Babatunde Fashola, at the end of a meeting between the two states.
https://www.nairaland.com/1084470/gov-amosun-allocates-500-hectares

1 Like

Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by wesley80(m): 12:14pm On Sep 28, 2013
^ And your point is?
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by OAM4J: 12:28pm On Sep 28, 2013
wesley80: ^ And your point is?

OAM4J:
Part of the reasons why:

Just confirming part of the reasons why the story could be true. The mill was commissioned last year and importation down this year, make the connection.
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by solomon111(m): 12:32pm On Sep 28, 2013
wesley80: ^ And your point is?
The agricultural transformation is flowing to the states.

1 Like

Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by wesley80(m): 12:36pm On Sep 28, 2013
OAM4J:

Just confirming part of the reasons why the story could be true. The mill was commissioned last year and importation down this year, make the connection.
Now repeat after me; FRESH AIR!

7 Likes

Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by manny4life(m): 12:50pm On Sep 28, 2013
PapaBrowne:

taharqa:

yaa!!

wesley80: His code name is agent T, T for troll!

tomakint:
Agent T, you've never disappointed on your divine call as a marauder! Next time, think deeply before you type son, this is no playing ground kid!

Lol... ehen, no be only me talk am. Even the Bible said it, out of the mouth of 2 or 3 and more, the truth is established.

@Tomakint, how you gonna say he's a certified troll? You forget that Eko ile aka agbameta is the person I certified as a troll, this one is clueless person...

@topic, there's nothing more to say that hasn't been said... GEJ carry go, anyi kwu gi n'azu. cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by asha80(m): 12:57pm On Sep 28, 2013
achi4u: It is not a hear say.I have witness it here in Abakaliki rice mill where one oyibo man was busy buying this our local rice in large quantity and instantly pouring a red oil on to of the heap...before y know it, it wil turn to foreign rice with higher price.

This is one area i'm personally commending Chief Martin Elechi of Ebonyi state for his initiative towards agriculture ...he's getting it right.
you mean EBONY rice?
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by ketoprofen(m): 1:00pm On Sep 28, 2013
achi4u: It is not a hear say.I have witness it here in Abakaliki rice mill where one oyibo man was busy buying this our local rice in large quantity and instantly pouring a red oil on to of the heap...before y know it, it wil turn to foreign rice with higher price.

i watched d documentary on Abakiliki rice processing plants and i was thrilled
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by awodman: 1:07pm On Sep 28, 2013
ketoprofen:

i watched d documentary on Abakiliki rice processing plants and i was thrilled
Where did you watch the documentary..is it on youtube?..if yes,can I get a link?
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by asha80(m): 1:20pm On Sep 28, 2013
anambra is supposed to be processing rice through omor rice mill....don't know if that place is functioning though.
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by achi4u(m): 1:27pm On Sep 28, 2013
asha 80: you mean EBONY rice?
Mba! CHOCOLATE rice.

Guy I dey respect you for this forum but you don dey turn to something else.
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by asha80(m): 1:35pm On Sep 28, 2013
achi4u: Mba! CHOCOLATE rice.

Guy I dey respect you for this forum but you don dey turn to something else.
guy type ebony rice on google and tell me what you see....u wey dey ebonyi never hear am before?...u think i am being sarcastic?
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by achi4u(m): 1:51pm On Sep 28, 2013
asha 80: anambra is supposed to be processing rice through omor rice mill....don't know if that place is functioning though.
Omor area are not playing with rice farming but their farm is still small to compare Ebonyi areable farm land.
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by achi4u(m): 1:53pm On Sep 28, 2013
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by asha80(m): 2:00pm On Sep 28, 2013
achi4u: Omor area are not playing with rice farming but their farm is still small to compare Ebonyi areable farm land.
i know but i want to find out is if the mill itself is working.
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by achi4u(m): 2:21pm On Sep 28, 2013
asha 80: i know but i want to find out is if the mill itself is working.
Yea,they are working based on their capacity.
I don't think they have this modern rice milling for nown but in due time they will surely have it.
I have been there and I love their undieing spirit towards rice farming.
Re: Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production by asha80(m): 2:31pm On Sep 28, 2013
achi4u: Yea,they are working based on their capacity.
I don't think they have this modern rice milling for nown but in due time they will surely have it.
I have been there and I love their undieing spirit towards rice farming.
there was an abandoned large rice mill that was handed over to anambra state gov in 2011 or so in omor...that is the one i am talking about...you can use google to know the one i am talking about...not other smaller mills around.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Renewed Attacks Claim 25 In Plateau / Peter Onyekwere-Ebigbo Elected Into World Council On Torture Victims / Dabiri-erewa Condemns Killing Of Nigerian Teenager In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.