Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,275 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call (1491 Views)

Soldier Survives 3 Rocket Grenades Thrown At Him By Boko Haram / BBC: Iran President Telephones Buhari Over Zaria Killings / Buhari Wins In The US After Obama Agrees To Sell Nigeria Apache Helicopters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by Maxymilliano(m): 4:36pm On Sep 28, 2013

Iranian president Hassan Rouhani waves to supporters as his motorcade draw out of Tehran's Mehrabad Airport upon his arrival from New York.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani arrived home to a mixed reception after his historic call with Barack Obama as a shoe was thrown at his car.

Some 75 hardline Islamists chanted "Death to America" and "Death to Israel" as Rouhani's motorcade drew out of Tehran's Mehrabad Airport.

Eggs were also hurled at the Iranian president as members of his security team tried to shield him with an umbrella.

The incident comes amid an apparent softening of Iran's stance toward the West including the United States under President Rouhani, which has angered some hardliners in Iran.

However protesters were outnumbered by 200 to 300 supporters of the president who shouted: "Thank you Rouhani."
A small police contingent separated the rival demonstrators.

The shoe missed the car and Rouhani stood up through the sunroof to acknowledge the crowds.

Before leaving New York where he attended the UN General Assembly, Rouhani had a 15-minute telephone conversation with Obama on Friday, the first contact between leaders of the two countries in more than three decades.

The call followed crucial talks at the United Nations on Thursday night which saw Iran's foreign minister sit down with representatives of world powers including John Kerry, the US secretary of state to discuss a deal on Iran's nuclear programme.

Throwing a shoe at a person is considered a grave insult in the Middle East. A shoe thrown by Iraqi journalist Muntader al-Zaidi's at President Bush in December 2008 became a symbol of Iraqi anger against "the occupier", while previous Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad also had a shoe thrown at him on a visit to Egypt earlier this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/10341293/Shoe-thrown-at-Iran-president-on-return-home-after-Obama-call.html
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by samilo88(m): 4:40pm On Sep 28, 2013
*books space* I dey come make I go check as dem dey wire Man Utd..
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by Symphony007: 6:36pm On Sep 28, 2013
Change does'nt just happen. It is hard for starters, many will fight it, but it will surely happen.
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by Brimmie(m): 10:27pm On Sep 28, 2013
Nigeria.. Are You Set??
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by free2ryhme: 2:51am On Sep 29, 2013
Brimmie: Nigeria.. Are You Set??

wetin u dey wait for
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by musiwa1l: 4:14am On Sep 29, 2013
who do you think they will throw shoe at, me, I am hero.

90% of Nigeria hate Goodluck Jonathan. Or do you think Yorubas like Obasanjo or tinubu or fashola. No they dont.
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by Nobody: 4:29am On Sep 29, 2013
I sincerely hope those northerners don't start throwing their kabukabu at everyone
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by Brimmie(m): 5:06am On Sep 29, 2013
free2ryhme:

wetin u dey wait for

Ah dey wait for you na! undecided
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by Raymonbell(m): 6:54am On Sep 29, 2013
Looking........but i love this country tough stand.......how i wish my country can stand for something
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 29, 2013
Bunch of dis-oriented people that have refused to acknowledge change and dynamism. Can they win America if they engage them in a war? What does Iran manufacture?
They miss their former leader whose contribution to humanity is exporting his brand of religious fanatism.
Rouhani should be supported to get that country to focus on pressing matters instead of war and religion.
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by BabaEleko(m): 8:19am On Sep 29, 2013
Which kain play dog fit follow Lion play. One of them go soon bomb the other, very very soon
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by redsun(m): 9:54am On Sep 29, 2013
Obama is a soul rebel and the soul rebels will eventually inherit the earth. The peace makers
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by Rockers4l: 10:46am On Sep 29, 2013
:-Xuna fit fight american n isreal? stupid idiots ,common nigeria una no fit fight talk more of USA N ISREAL,ndi ara,abeg live me make i go smoke my weedddd
Re: Shoe Thrown At Iran President On Return Home After Obama Call by Omexonomy: 1:22pm On Sep 29, 2013
I hope you are speeking the mind of yaruba people which is filled with weakedness and hartred for any ruler who is not from northern part of nigeria.
musiwa1l: who do you think they will throw shoe at, me, I am hero.

90% of Nigeria hate Goodluck Jonathan. Or do you think Yorubas like Obasanjo or tinubu or fashola. No they dont.

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan's Convoy Stops To Rescue Accident Victims / We’ll Take-over Lagos; Reclaim South West From APC –tukur / Patrick Sawyer intentionally brought the Ebola Virus To nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.