Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,093 members, 7,821,784 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

Who Runs The Lagos Economy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Runs The Lagos Economy? (6099 Views)

Igbos And Lagos Economy / Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola / Africa's New Biggest City Is Lagos - & Economy To Outweigh Johannesburg By 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 28, 2013
Over the years, i've heard southeasterners claim that they run the economy in lagos and that if they should pull out of the state the economy will collapse in no time. To buttress their claim, they field markets like ladipo, aspamda, alaba international etc.

An economy consists of three sectors: the primary, secondary and tertiary sectors. The above markets fall in the primary sector category, which is also shared by other tribes in nigeria. Multinationals like Lever bros, smithkline beecham, nestle, cardbury's, manufacturing industries, banks, shopping malls, telecommunications, media(TV, Newspapers, radio, internet) etc all fall in the secondary sector while the tertiary sector is controlled by the government of the state which provides a larger part of transportation, education, security, import and export, tax, agricultural etc.

A well reasoning nigerian would know that without a state government with good governance, the secondary sector wont deam such a state fit to invest in and without the secondary sector (a sector that employs majority of graduates and attracts people to a particular location) the primary sector would hardly exist or thrive to survive leaving people to find such a state to be with less opportunity, a good reason why people migrate to greener pastures.

Sentiments apart...eko o ni baje o!

6 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 28, 2013
Another WWE thread?

Biko,let me finish this carton of Beer first. cool

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Randerl: 9:12pm On Sep 28, 2013
grin to awon bros dey 4d bottom of d ladder for the economy. Ordinary traders.

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 28, 2013
Kamanda: Another WWE thread?

Biko,let me finish this carton of Beer first. cool
+18 drink responsibly.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by ikweremilitant: 11:42pm On Sep 28, 2013
Randerl: grin to awon bros dey 4d bottom of d ladder for the economy. Ordinary traders.
atleast agberos nd omo ile didnt make d list

5 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by bloggernaija: 8:46pm On Oct 17, 2013
The stakeholders in Lagos economy can be broken down as follow
The SW control at least 70% comprising of the Lagos state government and share of the private sector
Next comes the Niger delta then
Hausa/Fulani then
The rest

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by dayokanu(m): 9:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
Economy of Lagos is in the hand of the govt and several companies who pay huge taxes to the Lagos State coffers

Its 60% SouthWest
15% foreign investment i.e Indian, Chinese, Lebanese European etc
10% South South (Ibru, Etiebet, Ben Bruce etc)
10% North (Dangote etc)
and 5% the rest

7 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by talktimi(m): 10:01pm On Oct 17, 2013
The residents of Lagos run its economy, without people there is no market & business does not ask money what tribe it comes from. So you guys should stop this childish SW vs SE rant that you want to start again.

7 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 17, 2013
talktimi: The residents of Lagos run its economy, without people there is no market & business does not ask money what tribe it comes from. So you guys should stop this childish SW vs SE rant that you want to start again.
but our alaigbo people are claiming ownership of the economy. Tell them to stop dreaming.

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
at last I agree with you

talktimi: The residents of Lagos run its economy, without people there is no market & business does not ask money what tribe it comes from. So you guys should stop this childish SW vs SE rant that you want to start again.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
^^^And i disagree wit u both

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Ikengawo: 10:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
i find it funny that most non igbo believe most igbo are traders because they see so many. traders = young poor igbo men. In other tribes this class of people are agberos, beggars, and thieves. Every company and sector you've listed is packed with ndigbo + the ones they themselves own and have started.

3 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
ur perspective and I respect it also, although I may not agree

Segeggs: ^^^And i disagree wit u both
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Ayekotoo(m): 10:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
Ikengawo: i find it funny that most non igbo believe most igbo are traders because they see so many. traders = young poor igbo men. In other tribes this class of people are agberos, beggars, and thieves. Every company and sector you've listed is packed with ndigbo + the ones they themselves own and have started.

list the companies owned by igbos in the insurance sector, stockbrokering, fastfood chains, Aviation, manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Telcoms, banking, Tv/radio media, print media, Agricultural biz, Entertainment industry, Sport management, or keep shut for eternity. All you got are the same recycled names of UBA, coscharis, Orange drugs.

4 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
Ayekotoo:

list the companies owned by igbos in the insurance sector, stockbrokering, fastfood chains, Aviation, manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Telcoms, banking, Tv/radio media, print media, Agricultural biz, Entertainment industry, Sport management, or keep shut for eternity. All you got are the same recycled names of UBA, coscharis, Orange drugs

grin cheesy grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 17, 2013
Oh so now you all are saying that Igbos contribute the least out of all groups in the Economy of Lagos?

Really? Wow!

Why don't we list the board of directors and executives of Lagos' corporations, firm and other sectors so that we get to the bottom of who runs what?
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by talktimi(m): 10:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
Segeggs: ^^^And i disagree wit u both
i'll stand on my nose for an hour just so you can agree with me. Honestly

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
nnenna.1:
Oh so now you all are saying that Igbos contribute the least out of all groups in the Economy of Lagos?

Really? Wow!

Why don't we list the board of directors and executives of Lagos' corporations, firm and other sectors so that we get to the bottom of who runs what?

Start with the listing and you will be shocked....just go to the NSE website...pick the first five companies in each category...and google each of the company up.

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
What's the point of this thread?

This is an open secret. I don't even live in Lagos, however, I've done my research and I know who controls what. Heck, I've got the PDF of the C of O of all the lands in Lagos.

You lot need to allow it and let those with acute grandiose delusions continue to live with it. Sometimes, you just have to shake your head and ignore people.

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by talktimi(m): 10:55pm On Oct 17, 2013
@smartchoice but im right na. A serious business man (which i believe all those who run businesses in Lagos are) is only interested in those who can afford his/her goods or services irrespective of the customers' tribe. So why bring up an annoying non issue ? Do you think Adenuga cares what tribe the buyer of his glo card comes from ? He will only get scared when people in Lagos for example decide to stop patronising glo services completely. Lets move on from this rubbish abeg

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 17, 2013
@Ilugun Boy I recalled one thread on Nairaland which provided a detailed listing of members of the board and MDs/CEOs of large companies in Lagos.

That thread was actually a response to a claim by an Igbo poster who didn't believe that Igbos controlled many major corporate structures compared to other groups. That thread was QUITE illuminating.

I ran a search for the thread and it came up as deleted/hidden undecided, although various posts there are within view.

the name of the thread was "Igbo owned companies Ezeuche take note"

Off the top of my head - companies in Lagos which Igbos control or have as much stake as Yorubas

Diamond Bank
UBA
Zenith Bank
Various Oil Servicing companies including Millenium oil and gas, Chrome oil, Integrated oil & gas, etc
Flour Mills of Nigeria LTD
May and Baker (CEO)
ThisDay Newspapers
Sun Newspapers
Daily Times of Nigeria
Emzor pharmaceuticals
Orange Drugs
Eko Hospital

There are many more but too lazy to continue.

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
^^^@Nnenna is deluded.

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 17, 2013
nnenna: .1UBA - not Igbo owned neither is it Ibo controlled.
Zenith Bank - not Igbo owned neither is it Ibo controlled
Flour Mills of Nigeria LTD - multinational
May and Baker (CEO) - multinational
ThisDay Newspapers - not relevant in the scheme of things
Sun Newspapers - not relevant in the scheme of things
Daily Times of Nigeria - not relevant in the scheme of things
Emzor pharmaceuticals - yes
Eko Hospital - 3/4 Igbo

Ibo owned oil companies are just a few in the hundreds of them.
informal sector which ibo has a stake in is just 2% of the economy.

Fixed. smiley

9 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by dayokanu(m): 11:26pm On Oct 17, 2013
What Dangote companies alone contribute to the economy of Lagos is more than what any Ibo headed company contribute

And We havent heard hausas own lagos or Hausa claim Lagos is No mans land

3 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by ifyalways(f): 11:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
What is the point of this thread ?

Today we demand that our people go home and establish there,tomorrow we are claiming to own another man's land.
Phew .

6 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by dayokanu(m): 11:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
ifyalways: What is the point of this thread ?

Today we demand that our people go home and establish there,tomorrow we are claiming to own another man's land.
Phew .

Ifyalways, You are excluded, you can claim lagos and Ogbomosho on my behalf.

I give you the permission and right to while I am processing your citizenship to Oduduwa.

meanwhile you need to get tribal marks and eat plenty Amala and Ofeemmannu

Before we can complete the process.

Did I forget to tell you that we also need triplet from you at first attempt?

8 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
shocked Haaa!!

What ethnic group do the founder of Zenith Bank and some members of the board identify as?

What ethnic group do the MD, Deputy Director, and Chief of group of companies for UBA come from?

Because they don't have "chukwu" affixed to thier names you think they are not Igbo?

shocked

Way to affix 3/4 ownership to Eko Hospital when I stated that the list is of companies where Igbos control (i.e. Majority ownership) or have as much stake as Yoruba.

And aren't most companies in Lagos Multinational?

Why are newspapers seen as unimportant? Aren't they major companies who survive on revenue?

mugumugu:

Fixed. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by ifyalways(f): 11:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu:

I give you the permission and right to while I am processing your citizenship to Oduduwa.

Alfa setzer,Donchris and co would glady sell their last farmland to offset the bill for my tribal marks inittiation ceremony but Oluwa wa tongue
No saking cheesy
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
ifyalways: What is the point of this thread ?

Phew .

The starter of this thread is a Yoruba trying to undermine Igbo contribution to Lagos.

Not that I disagree with you...I'd rather Igbo investments be situated in the East rather than be in a place where they are apparently unappreciated or undermined (going by the purpose of this thread).
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Odunharry(m): 11:40pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu:

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
nnenna.1:
shocked Haaa!!
What ethnic group do the founder of Zenith Bank and some members of the board identify as?

What ethnic group do the MD, Deputy Director, and Chief of group of companies for UBA come from?

Because they don't have "chukwu" affixed to thier names you think they are not Igbo?

shocked

Way to affix 3/4 ownership to Eko Hospital when I stated that the list is of companies where Igbos control (i.e. Majority ownership) or have as much stake as Yoruba.

And aren't most companies in Lagos Multinational?

Why are newspapers seen as unimportant? Aren't they major companies who survive on revenue?

With internet and online news outlet, newspapers have become redundant.
I take it that ika people are ibo in ur head? figment of your imagination.
If not you won't include zenith and UBA in ur list.
Hakeem Bello Osagie would soon be ibo with this people encroachment.
the people don't want to be ibo and they don't claim ibo.

Same for nduka obaigbena and thisday.

List ibo owned companies with people from ebonyi, anambra, Enugu, imo and abia.
is that too hard to ask for?
kaish.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Missing $20billion Dollars / Breaking News: IPOB Moving From Aba To Ekwulobia To Cause Confusion- PICTURES / BREAKING: Governor Kills Colleague In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.