Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi (13093 Views)

Why ASUU Has Not Called Off The Strike –ASUU President Nasir Fagge / ASUU Has Called Off D Strike...is It True ? / ASUU Has Not Called-off The Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by Man90(m): 1:51pm On Sep 30, 2013
Hw i wish ASUU is telling us d truth!Hw i wish ASUU is telling us d truth!Hw i wish ASUU is telling us d truth!
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by ennon92(m): 1:52pm On Sep 30, 2013
Enigma17: Ookay oo.......And d drama continues.....for ASUU we cant be fooled anymore..your lies has adequately been exposed, we now knw who our real enemies are.
so u no know ur enemy b4,it seems u just wake up from ur slumber...Goodboy
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by ennon92(m): 2:00pm On Sep 30, 2013
stagger:

Then your father will come and teach my children in university abi? Idiota!
u're very stew.pid for bringing his fada into dis and it shows d parents dat brought u up...d last time I checked, every1 is entitle to his/her own opinion.
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by mjizzie(m): 2:09pm On Sep 30, 2013
FG is trying to fool everybody, just for us to put d blame on ASSU, Aw much is N400BN for God sake in dis Nigeria wen we hear everyday aw many trillions dey spent everyday on useless projects. Less I forget PHCN workers av started dia Own strike too. FG is owing dem close to N600BN allowances dt dey av work for over d years. And dey just want to handover d sector to private companies. Dey want d staffs to suffer lyk d Nitel staffs too. Anyway God bless Nig.
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by ennon92(m): 2:17pm On Sep 30, 2013
mjizzie: FG is trying to fool everybody, just for us to put d blame on ASSU, Aw much is N400BN for God sake in dis Nigeria wen we hear everyday aw many trillions dey spent everyday on useless projects. Less I forget PHCN workers av started dia Own strike too. FG is owing dem close to N600BN allowances dt dey av work for over d years. And dey just want to handover d sector to private companies. Dey want d staffs to suffer lyk d Nitel staffs too. Anyway God bless Nig.
wut of d bribe phcn collected from us? What goes around comes around
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
U cant force someone to develop his properties. Since Government doesnt want to improve d standard of education, ASUU shd just leave dem n go ahead wit teaching n receiving salary, at least everybody now knows dat Government doesnt like education. My annoyance is dat ASUU members are being paid for doing nothing
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by peleson: 2:22pm On Sep 30, 2013
ASUU had a meeting in Unilag and resolved never to end strike until demands are met someone tweeted.
Note, Nigeria lecturers are the 12th highest paid in the world and 2nd highest paid in Africa.
What ASUU is fighting for are numerous allowances and not increase in salary because salaries had been increased following previous strikes.
Once this is achieved by ASUU, Nigeria lecturers are going to be one of the highest paid in the world if not the highest paid just as our senators and other lawmakers!
Now the question is,
How can you demand for so much when you (lecturers) dish out same old stuffs. You seek for increase in money but have watched education go down to the lowest ebb , commiting all sort of crime and majority of you behave like gods in the life of students, harrassing, intimidating, bribing and failing students with impunity .

FG should resolve never to allow lecturers mark their scripts. lecturers should set the exams, summit the marking scheme and let an entire arm take care of marking and results.
Lecturers are civil servants under the ministry of education and should be transfered from one university to the other because you don't stay at a place to see yourself as lord at the end, being redundant.
Education in this country should be pro students and not pro ASUU.
ASUU is chewing more than they wish to bite.
Educational reform should start from ASUU. Ofcos, some lecturers are like fathers and mothers and such lecturers should be role models for others.
Opinon poll should be carried out by FG on students to evaluate their lecturers without the students writing their names to avoid victimization so the bad lecturers will be fished out and sacked.
ASUU should be responsible just as they want the FG to be!
Or do you think ASUU are saints

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by Sajio(m): 2:25pm On Sep 30, 2013
ronalmagic10: Haha..am I the FTC? I can't believe this oo

I'm gonna do thanksgiving on Sunday...

@topic, all this news don tire me, jst call off d damn strike. I tried lookin 4 job, but I couldn't fnd any. Na wa 4 naija...Yesterday media chat confirmed it that Gej is a mistake, he has no business in aso rock after 2015. I jst hope that ppl start reasoning wit their senses nd vote dis man out
. You better wake up from ur sleep ok! Can't you for once comment in accordiancet †̥ d Topic? If u are still a boy, try and get any of Fela's Cd and listen to it. Maybe it will give you an insights of what Gej is trying †̥ do for Nigerians.........
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by shaqhead: 2:25pm On Sep 30, 2013
ITbomb: It is not about releasing money here and there.
It is time Nigeria should agree on something, put it on a paper and implement it.
All ASUU is saying is 'implement the Agreement you signed'. Finish.
N100bn for this and N30bn for that does not show seriousness and commitment to develop the education sector, it is a kangaroo arrangement just to solve immediate problem while waiting for another strike next year.
If it involve shutting down the school system for a year or more, to produce a blueprint for making our certificate worth its name, so be it
So on point! We keep postponing judgement day we never gon run away from...yes it sucks sitting @ home but we either get things ryt once or we keep goin round n round in an unending vicious circle...remember the cost keeps mounting year after year and our certificates keeps getting worthless...for those of u who r nowhere done wt skul..get ready for anoda ASUU strike by 2014 or 2015 IF this strike is called off without a substantial part of the agreement been met! I guess someone would not like that line and mayb ur itching to fling curse words my way...enjoy! So what if government gave 100bn for a (false) START? Hw much is 100bn relative to the number of institutions we have? Anybody believe that government word is worth banking on-U sure will believe that SEUN is an eskimo. I graduated in 2010 and on an occasion, the lab scientist told us that the last tym the lab was stocked was...(yh actually you guessd wrong) the year I was born (1984) and til ds very moment it hasnt bn stocked. Stil using chemicals frm 1984 for experiments in 2013 until God knows hw long if nothing is done about it. This is not peculiar to my alma mater. So d choice is go back to a dilapidated system and if u r lucky u get thrown out into a system u r nt prepared for with a coloured paper with and ur name on it or give urself and others aftr u a better education by jst exercising some painful patience.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by richybanky(m): 2:32pm On Sep 30, 2013
Joshua hunpe: 2nd mtchewwww
Seconded
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by samtos007: 3:00pm On Sep 30, 2013
Rejoice5000: unfair?? the many so called graduates are they all employed.
So others shouldn't graduate again cos the graduated have no jobs? That's lame.
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by onyeka205(m): 3:00pm On Sep 30, 2013
Shobayo Emma: when the fg entered into agreement with ASUU in 2009, there was no stipulated time for the total implementation of the deal. now fg has given sumtin for a start; i think it wil be an honourary thing for ASUU to resume also for a start and then ask d fg to giv them a particular time frame to meet all thier demands. through dis nigerians can now stand for thier course if fg then fails. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

There was a definite time of implementation which is suppose to start from 2009, N100b per year and that is how the figure of N500b funding was arrived at. If the Government had honoured that agreement, there would have been a review this year as was agreed and signed by both parties. This issue of earned allowances was calculated by a Government agency and they arrived at N87b as at this year and ASUU is saying that since non of the agreements had been implemented since 2009, there is no indication that the remaining money would be remitted if they call of the strike without achieving their aim. This would lead to another strike in the near future. ASUU wants to avert this by making sure that the agreement is fully implemented before they will go back to class.
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by joevicon: 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2013
Inasmuch as the government is being blamed for the decay in our higher institutions today, ASUU and the supervisory body, NUC have a greater blame of the rut. Many Universities are said to be accredited in most of their programmes by NUC using ASUU members. This shows that NUC and ASUU are not being honest in the signal or impression of the state of the institutions they project to the public. If all is well with these institutions, why turn-around to cry fowl to Nigerians? What do institutions do with the fees, levies, fines, application form fees, etc.? ASUU should look into how these funds are spent or squandered as these funds are not ploughed back to the system to improve the institutions. How many of our institutions today are actually carrying out meaningful researches? How can the country grow? We churn out paper that cannot translate into useful purposes because we lack necessary facilities to do so. NUC need to be overhauled and the present administrator should be removed - he has over stayed his usefulness to the system. NUC at present do not furnish the Education Ministry or the Fed. Government the real facts to help the government to articulate better policies for education in Nigeria. The Executive Secretary is a major virus in the system and will pollute any minister you appoint in future. Concerned citizen.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by Capableben(m): 3:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
skydancer: To me, this is a wake up call for the Nigerian youths, students who have important things to do with their lives are not complaining at all. Learn some useful skills, get some certifications, it's your future not ASUU's future that is at stake here.
wHAT can i learn SUGGEST
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by Profitcost: 3:40pm On Sep 30, 2013
FG has not been fair to nigerian students not ASUU
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by mjizzie(m): 4:21pm On Sep 30, 2013
ennon92: wut of d bribe phcn collected from us? What goes around comes around
do u think does collecting bribe from u are d one supplying d power..and even if u pay ur bills nobody will collect bribe from u
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by Dreament(m): 4:32pm On Sep 30, 2013
Damalex4luv: Yes they are unfair †̥o all Nigeria students in general.. They affected me in that the senate ̤̣̈̇f ♍γ school į̸̸̨§ yet †̥o seat on our results before they went on leave that they called strike now ℓ will have †̥o wait till february before going for ♍γ NYSC...
same tin wit me. What if they didn't call of b4 the ending of this year tha means feb batch is not sure. @aau student
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by damselsdezire(f): 4:57pm On Sep 30, 2013
Damalex4luv: Yes they are unfair †̥o all Nigeria students in general.. They affected me in that the senate ̤̣̈̇f ♍γ school į̸̸̨§ yet †̥o seat on our results before they went on leave that they called strike now ℓ will have †̥o wait till february before going for ♍γ NYSC...
kip waitin 4 ur NYSC, lots of people wu av served ar there lookin 4 job. U beta find sometn doin
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by damselsdezire(f): 5:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
Capableben:
wHAT can i learn SUGGEST
so u'r expectin som1 to com and start tellin u to go nd learn dis or dt @ dis age? Smh... U shld @ least av a goal. Lot of ppl ar educatd(civil servant) nd also av other works/jobs of their own. Think of wot u ar interested in and learn if u grow big in it then u won't nid to start dieing or shoutin if u'v not goten a gov job
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by renzie: 5:08pm On Sep 30, 2013
Shobayo Emma: when the fg entered into agreement with ASUU in 2009, there was no stipulated time for the total implementation of the deal. now fg has given sumtin for a start; i think it wil be an honourary thing for ASUU to resume also for a start and then ask d fg to giv them a particular time frame to meet all thier demands. through dis nigerians can now stand for thier course if fg then fails. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
I don't think you understand the issue at hand. This agreement was signed in 2009 and govt. did nothing about it, as a follow up in 2011/2012 ASUU signed an MoU with FG drawing a road map to arresting the rot and poor infrastructure in the Universities. The MoU stipulated that by 2012 FG will pump N100bn for a start and by 2013 it release an additional N400bn, 2014 N400bn and 2015 N400bn. This was agreed upon considering the pathetic state of Nigerian Universities. However, our Govt. which has no concern for anything that benefits the public reneged on this agreement. Nothing was given to the Universities with regards to this agreement. Now they are talking of giving N100bn, is it for 2012 or 2013? was there an agreement? was an MoU signed? If there was an agreement and an MoU why is the Govt. being irresponsible. Concerning the earned allowances which is part of the agreement- from 2009-2013. calculations show that this has accumulated to about 87 or N97bn - not very sure. FG said ASUU shd take 32bn. It doesn't make sense. It's like an employer and employee agreeing on a particular amount as a wage and after delaying payment for some months you now start asking your staff for fresh negotiation so that you can pay less. The right thing should be pay him what you owing him based on your previous agreement. It's a pity that in our country the govt has not regard for Education. For your information Nigeria's budgetary allocation for Education is about the least in Africa. Ghana 31%, CIV 30%, Uganda 27%, South Africa 20.8%, Kenya 23%, Swaziland 24.6%, Bostwana 19%, Morocco 17.7% and Nigeria the Giant of Africa 8.43%. This simply tells you why Nigerians now flood Ghana for Education. Please don't just rush hear and insult your lecturers without understanding the situation. At a point Ghana was very bad. It took a strike of about a year to turn things around, today we all run there. We are not willing to sacrifice anything for the future. So people will say Govt. shd apply the "No work no pay" policy, they are already doing that secretly without letting the World know because they know they are not being fair. I have lecturer friends that told me they have not been paid for 2 months now because of the strike. However, I learnt they have made up their minds to fight to the end.
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by damselsdezire(f): 5:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
[quote author=click2cbn]U cant force someone to develop his properties. Since Government doesnt want to improve d standard of education, ASUU shd just leave dem n go ahead wit teaching n receiving salary, at least everybody now knows dat Government doesnt like education. My annoyance is dat ASUU members are being paid for doing nothing [/quote And dt is Y our educatn is nt been valued overseas. Students are nt gud practically,etc...plz let dem fight it once and 4 all and let our lives change 4 beta. Even most graduates are really fuckin up, some nigerian graduates jst answer graduates but can't be boasted of. Some can't even construct correct sentence or spell simple wrds correctly sef...disgustin
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by damselsdezire(f): 5:39pm On Sep 30, 2013
click2cbn: U cant force someone to develop his properties. Since Government doesnt want to improve d standard of education, ASUU shd just leave dem n go ahead wit teaching n receiving salary, at least everybody now knows dat Government doesnt like education. My annoyance is dat ASUU members are being paid for doing nothing
And dt is Y our educatn is nt been valued overseas. Students are nt gud practically,etc...plz let dem fight it once and 4 all and let our lives change 4 beta. Even most graduates are really fuckin up, some nigerian graduates jst answer graduates but can't be boasted of. Some can't even construct correct sentence or spell simple wrds correctly self...disgustin
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by bellobee(m): 5:49pm On Sep 30, 2013
Nigerian universities students are at home over a
none payment of entitlement of our deserving
Academic Doctors and Professors of about N87Billion.
Three months of the ASUU strike, 20million Nigerian
students about 11.5% of the country's total population
needs just N87Billion from the FG to go back to
school, in this same Nigeria we have the President,
the vice president and their wives, 489 National
Assembly Members, 36 states governors, their wives
and their deputies and over 100 ministers, SAs & DGs
of various parastatals totalling just 701 of them which
is less than the number of some extended family
members in Nigeria living on over N350Billion
annually as cost of governance, a figure which
exceeds the annual budget of at least 10 other African
countries put together.
Fellow Nigerians, what is the way forward? Do we just
fold our arms and continue suffering and smling and
watch these heartless human beings call leaders
"looters" living like that? Do we succumb to their idea
of bringing disunity among us using the religious and
ethnic dffernces that we have? while they are up
there united by the devil they worship who in turn
gives them what they want in life. Their children are
now studying in Europe & US while we are here
Knocked Down by ASUU Strike, They leave in
Mansions in Garki, Maitama and Asokoro, while we're
squatting in Maraba, Masaka, Nyanya, Jakara,
Ajegunle etc, they travel round the mother earth in
Private Jets while we have to contain the wrath of
Robbery. Nigeria being fifth oil producing Nation in
the world generates over ₦11,990 ($75)Billion
annually on oil alone not to talk of other sources of
revenue, yet no Social amenities such as good roads,
basic healthcare, social security, good drikng water,
electricity, education, jobs etc.
Time and Space will not permit me to pencil down the
gap that needs to be bridged between the govern &
the governrs.
CHANGE of attitude is what we need now, and it is
"NOW OR NEVER".
Pls don't allow yourself to be part of religious/ethnic
sentiment to divide us, May God save us.
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 30, 2013
Solution to Assu Strike: Govt hope you reading this, please remove your hand from the Education sector let the universities run by themselves or privatized. The money you will give Assu give students as loan to go to these universities, you can calculate how much the student parent's can afford then give loan for the remainder, the one that is smart u give them scholarship. Students will pay back when they find a job in their field, and you can setup an installment plan depending on their income. The only thing Govt should do is regulate the school fees and give money to schools that does research...that's all. ASUU will dissolve. The professor/lecture will only have to sign Contract with university they will only have problem with the university if they are not paid. Universities can lay off lecturers if they cannot afford. I promise you within 10 years, two universities in Nigeria will enter ranking and compete with Western Universities.
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by Neoluv(m): 6:45pm On Sep 30, 2013
Most students don't even know why ASUU is on strike...they are fighting for the future!..,even if they are also fighting for their pocket and so?...they've got kids to feed and their own responsibilities too..Nigerian teachers reward is not in heaven ooh,dem wan drive mercs and bimmers too! grin
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by ennon92(m): 7:39pm On Sep 30, 2013
mjizzie: do u think does collecting bribe from u are d one supplying d power..and even if u pay ur bills nobody will collect bribe from u
4rm ur comment, I can deduce u re one of the PHCN staffs though stand to be corrected... who is then supplying d power?....perhaps, my bills re cleared(payed) on a monthly basis. What next?
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by GJames(m): 8:00pm On Sep 30, 2013
It is the federal government that has been unfair,not ASUU.
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by alexleo(m): 8:14pm On Sep 30, 2013
To all those who believe that it is right for ASUU to call off the strike even when the federal govt has failed to fully keep to their agreement with them- since you believe that FG has done well so far and ASUU is wrong in not calling off the strike,we can then pray, that you witness unfulfilled agreement in your affairs in life like ASUU. May your agreement with people or organizations be always met below halfway like that of ASUU.
Amen. (If you are sincere in your opinion against ASUU's attitude to FG so far, then you should have no problem with this prayer rather you should echo a big Amen. If not, then you are not being sincere in your stand and that's quite bad and hypocritical).
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by sirmally: 8:16pm On Sep 30, 2013
Andyblaze: Its a good thing the strike has not been called off without demands been met, because if they just re-open skul like that, the lecturers won't teach the students well, students will be frustrated and insult lecturers, fight will break out in school, then it will spread to streets, then war will start, then we will all go extinct
you are just senseless
Re: ASUU Has Been Unfair To The Nigerian Students- Obasi by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 30, 2013
why is it that we student have refused to understand the truth here? ASUU(APC) is playing PDP political war with our future...so bad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Sack Unqualified Teachers In Dec. 2019 / Ngige: I Won’t Give ASUU Opportunity To Go On Strike Again / Utme 2017: Thread For Commercial Jambites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.