Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,564 members, 7,820,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? (12501 Views)

Scarcity Of Bread Hits Kano As Bakers Embark On Strike / Falae: Fulani Herdsmen Embark On Self-registration In South West / 5 Top State Universities Teaching Hospitals In Nigeria (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by KevinE1: 12:34pm On Sep 30, 2013
What's even more disturbing than the strike itself is the written English of the poster. I can't come to terms with the fact that a lot of university students can't spell or punctuate even remotely. One can make marginal errors here and there if they didn't proof read but to shell from sentence to sentence..... shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by sonickay(m): 12:41pm On Sep 30, 2013
Asking this question is just like saying why must NUT plan to join ASUU's Strike whether as solidarity or interest.
According to The Concurrent Legislative List of The 1999 Constitution of The FRN as Amended, Education falls within the legislative capacity of federal and state government concurrently. The implication is that the Fg may make laws/policies that relates to education as well as the States can.
In this foregoing and in the absence of clear-cut legislation on separation of issues in administration of education by the respective houses of assembly at the states and federal level, it is just imperative or common sense that State University Lecturers affiliate themselves with their colleagues in federal universities even to the extent of sharing the same cause or interests. So therefore, there is nothing wrong for State ASUU's to attach themselves to federal ASUU and demand for infrastructure overhaul like their federal counterparts because the issues adumbrated by the industrial action borders on a national issue which the FG had agreed to bear the burden by signing the 2009 agreement!

1 Like

Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by Rejoice5000(f): 12:42pm On Sep 30, 2013
Na federal uni, the strike fit
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by promizchild: 12:44pm On Sep 30, 2013
TribalEAST: Any news on LAUTECH? undecided

LAUTECH ASUU are solidly on strike, some of them are members of ASSU national excos so no retreat no surrender...LAUTECH is still on strike no green light!
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by talktimi(m): 12:45pm On Sep 30, 2013
Why should LASU be involved in this strike sef ? Its sheer wickedness considering the amount of fees students in that school pay. By the way, Rivers state University of science & technology aren't on strike, the wisely pulled out of ASUU and its students have been better off since...
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by tbagjames(m): 1:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
PHCN has been sold out for $2.52 billion. Why wont the FG dish a tea spoon size of that money and meet ASUU's demands
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by taiwoliu(m): 1:43pm On Sep 30, 2013
What do u want to knw abt LAUTECH? Lautech is inches away from becoming a 'ghost' city....
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
When it comes to fighting to save a nation from total collapse, some people will run away and prefer not to support you. There will always be cowards among us. There will always be people who will rather postpone their own fight. The case of universities that have refused to join this ASUU strike is an act of cowardice. And what they do not understand is that they are further destroying the system rather than helping it. The sad thing there is that they won't be left out of the dividend of ASUU's struggle. It is better for all of us to suffer today so that our tomorrow shall be well. Posterity will judge every man that does anything to frustrate this ASUU struggle. I am not happy at all about this strike, but what other choices do I have? Together we shall succeed and divided we shall beg. Long live ASUU. Long Live Nigerian Universities. Long live Nigeria.
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by taharqa: 2:45pm On Sep 30, 2013
tbagjames: PHCN has been sold out for $2.52 billion. Why wont the FG dish a tea spoon size of that money and meet ASUU's demands
The money has been (Or is it, been used) to pay d FORMER PHCN workers off..
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by MrWorldwide2(m): 2:50pm On Sep 30, 2013
Well, after all d noise 4rm those saying ASUU is 4 only federal universities, let me remind u, ASUU means Academic Staff Union of Universities. If it were 2 b 4 only federal universities, it wld hv bin ASUFU (Academic Staff Union of Federal Universities) or ASUSU (Academic Staff Union of State Universities) if it were 2 b 4 only state universities.
My point is, d association is 4 all universities and it struggles 4 dem all.
4 ur info, my sch is among d 60 plus schs on d list 2 riciv a share of dt 100 billion naira dt ws released 4 NEEDS.
After all, d retirement age of a tin is 4 all lecturers of d universities amongst other tins d union hv fought 4 or is fighting 4 (and nt 4 only federal universities).

My question 2 u all pple who claim dt it is 4 only federal universities, hv u eva since d inception of ASUU, dt d union fought 4 smtin and it ws only d federal universities dt benefited?

Wake up 9ja.

1 Like

Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by solelymade: 3:07pm On Sep 30, 2013
It's quite difficult to believe we have undergraduate on this thread. I know the quality of education must of us received was below standard but seeing the level of ignorance in here shows Nigeria has a house on fire which is pathetic.
How will students not know that fg fund most state unis? How can students be ignorant of the labour union their lecturers belong to and the rules guiding their conduct and allegiance of membership? Na d problem i get wid dis examination malpractices be dis, uni kips on admitting academically inept students jus 2 kip d cycle moving.
Nigeria will be dead on arrival.
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by Profitcost: 3:52pm On Sep 30, 2013
Both are fighting the samething, only that whatever fg reach with them, they(state owned uni lecturers) will go back and renegotiate with there various governors.
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by Kaydem(m): 3:54pm On Sep 30, 2013
expect lautech to be the last name on the pulling-out list...those lecturers lazy die!...its almost 3months!...i pity my house rent ooo...Under'G agents ain't funny ooo...u know what i mean if u are a Ladokites!
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by figment232(m): 4:03pm On Sep 30, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Please is there a way we all Nigerians can contribute the money and hand it over to ASUU, your N100 is not too big.
LOL
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by stevnwigw: 4:20pm On Sep 30, 2013
we are planing of sueing our state universities to court, they will have to pay.
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by Dagoma: 4:46pm On Sep 30, 2013
I wonder too! I guess its just what we call "follow follow"
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by bellobee(m): 6:02pm On Sep 30, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]
Nigerian universities students are at home over a
none payment of entitlement of our deserving
Academic Doctors and Professors of about N87Billion.
Three months of the ASUU strike, 20million Nigerian
students about 11.5% of the country's total population
needs just N87Billion from the FG to go back to
school, in this same Nigeria we have the President,
the vice president and their wives, 489 National
Assembly Members, 36 states governors, their wives
and their deputies and over 100 ministers, SAs & DGs
of various parastatals totalling just 701 of them which
is less than the number of some extended family
members in Nigeria living on over N350Billion
annually as cost of governance, a figure which
exceeds the annual budget of at least 10 other African
countries put together.
Fellow Nigerians, what is the way forward? Do we just
fold our arms and continue suffering and smling and
watch these heartless human beings call leaders
"looters" living like that? Do we succumb to their idea
of bringing disunity among us using the religious and
ethnic dffernces that we have? while they are up
there united by the devil they worship who in turn
gives them what they want in life. Their children are
now studying in Europe & US while we are here
Knocked Down by ASUU Strike, They leave in
Mansions in Garki, Maitama and Asokoro, while we're
squatting in Maraba, Masaka, Nyanya, Jakara,
Ajegunle etc, they travel round the mother earth in
Private Jets while we have to contain the wrath of
Robbery. Nigeria being fifth oil producing Nation in
the world generates over ₦11,990 ($75)Billion
annually on oil alone not to talk of other sources of
revenue, yet no Social amenities such as good roads,
basic healthcare, social security, good drikng water,
electricity, education, jobs etc.
Time and Space will not permit me to pencil down the
gap that needs to be bridged between the govern &
the governrs.
CHANGE of attitude is what we need now, and it is
"NOW OR NEVER".
Pls don't allow yourself to be part of religious/ethnic
sentiment to divide us, May God save us.
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 30, 2013
why is it that we students have refused to understand the truth here? ASUU(APC) is playing PDP political war with our future...so bad
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by kasheemawo(m): 8:52pm On Sep 30, 2013
inuyasha01:
am in mass communication. You?
i'm a staff
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by alcuin(m): 9:14pm On Sep 30, 2013
All universities you say. I'm sure that includes the privates ones, since they are also universities, going by your argument.
Mr Worldwide: Well, after all d noise 4rm those saying ASUU is 4 only federal universities, let me remind u, ASUU means Academic Staff Union of Universities. If it were 2 b 4 only federal universities, it wld hv bin ASUFU (Academic Staff Union of Federal Universities) or ASUSU (Academic Staff Union of State Universities) if it were 2 b 4 only state universities.
4 ur info, my sch is among d 60 plus schs on d list 2 riciv a share of dt 100 billion naira dt ws released 4 NEEDS.
After all, d retirement age of a tin is 4 all lecturers of d universities amongst other tins d union hv fought 4 or is fighting 4 (and nt 4 only federal universities).

My question 2 u all pple who claim dt it is 4 only federal universities, hv u eva since d inception of ASUU, dt d union fought 4 smtin and it ws only d federal universities dt benefited?

Wake up 9ja.
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by Forwetinnah: 9:29pm On Sep 30, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Please is there a way we all Nigerians can contribute the money and hand it over to ASUU, your N100 is not too big.

Serious matter..account number please! cheesy Instead of some State Governors to make sure their state Universities resume, they went on a Fast instead all in the name of New PDP to Ridicule GEJ.. See their life now. How hypocritical can some Nigerian politicians be? Oya o, e don set..Akawo things, everyborry contribute o cheesy
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by mkoabiola: 10:09pm On Sep 30, 2013
ASUU demand is unrealistic.
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by inuyasha01(m): 10:43pm On Sep 30, 2013
kasheemawo: i'm a staff
Good evening sir. Are you a lecturer or part of the admin. Dept?
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by talktimi(m): 10:44pm On Sep 30, 2013
kasheemawo: i'm a staff
pls teach him the difference between I'M (short for I am) & AM abeg
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by Charbless(m): 11:48pm On Sep 30, 2013
tpacalipse: ASUU is one. And at the negotiations wit Federal Government, state universities have their representatives too. This struggle is not for federal universities alone, state schools are also included as federal government fund states. If I must tell you, state universities have collected funds from the little that federal government has released. For example, Adekunle Ajasin has collected 1.05 billion directly from federal purse from this present strike action. The tertfund being enjoyed by most Lecturers on PhD programs and those travelling for conferences and seminars came from ASUU struggles and this funds are both enjoyed by state and federal universities. So many state universities in this country would be left naked if ETF buildings are removed from their institutions. Even some state universities shud be named ETF universities, as all their buildings are products of ETF, which is also a product of ASUU struggle. So, who the hell says state universities do not benefit from this struggle? It is very unfortunate that most Nigerian students do not even know what this ASUU strike is all about. Long live ASUU. Long live Nigeria.
U're On point.
@complainant, Keep Calm and Enjoy D Strike
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by Nobody: 12:41am On Oct 01, 2013
With all due respect, many people do not actually have any idea about this ASUU issue!

ASUUbullies the state universities to join the strike in order to ensure effectiveness of the strike, not because the state universities are funded by the FG. Case in point is the 6month strike which we suffered in 2003. I was a student of a state uni in the east and they joined the strike... As soon as ASUU called off the nationwide strike, my uni decided to go on an internal strike to press home its demands to the state government that funds the university. Mind you, the state government was NOT part of the negotiations or agreement signing with the FG. While the federal universities resumed studies, we lost few more months because of the internal strike.
Now what relevance did the strike have on my state uni? NONE!!!!

When most state Universities have issues, do u hear of ASUU going on a nationwide strike to enforce an agreement with a state govt? When RSUT had issues because of the appointment of the Vc, was there a nationwide strike?

FG does NOT fund state universities. ETF funding mentioned by a Nairalander is a fund generated from the federation purse and taxes and is meant SOLELY for infrastructural upgrade of ALL Government owned (state and FG) universities but is NOT a source of funding in the sense of running the day to day activities of the universities, so please get it right. State universities should NOT be part of this strike...

1 Like

Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by billyadam(m): 3:35am On Oct 01, 2013
tpacalipse: ASUU is one. And at the negotiations wit Federal Government, state universities have their representatives too. This struggle is not for federal universities alone, state schools are also included as federal government fund states. If I must tell you, state universities have collected funds from the little that federal government has released. For example, Adekunle Ajasin has collected 1.05 billion directly from federal purse from this present strike action. The tertfund being enjoyed by most Lecturers on PhD programs and those travelling for conferences and seminars came from ASUU struggles and this funds are both enjoyed by state and federal universities. So many state universities in this country would be left naked if ETF buildings are removed from their institutions. Even some state universities shud be named ETF universities, as all their buildings are products of ETF, which is also a product of ASUU struggle. So, who the hell says state universities do not benefit from this struggle? It is very unfortunate that most Nigerian students do not even know what this ASUU strike is all about. Long live ASUU. Long live Nigeria.
Guy you are very wrong, I'm not impressed with ur post and be careful before you comment Here, cos wise people see... Where are u when the president gave His speech on sunday? On the national tv? You need to do more research before you start write Here.
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by yormite: 7:08am On Oct 01, 2013
So this means Die for a tie am just sitting down @ hm 4 nothing my skul wnt have her own share out of dat money no dis cnt be true we v nt even finish 1st semester when wl i graduate ?? Dis is End tym tins
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by Nobody: 8:15am On Oct 01, 2013
Mr Worldwide: Well, after all d noise 4rm those saying ASUU is 4 only federal universities, let me remind u, ASUU means Academic Staff Union of Universities. If it were 2 b 4 only federal universities, it wld hv bin ASUFU (Academic Staff Union of Federal Universities) or ASUSU (Academic Staff Union of State Universities) if it were 2 b 4 only state universities.

Wake up 9ja.
Sir, I think we should leave them to their ignorance.
Re: Why Must State Universities Embark On Strike? by wandeykul(f): 11:01am On Oct 01, 2013
If u r a stdnt of 1 of d strikin uni.ul neva say ASUU shud ride on...dy r all thieves,dy r sayin dy r fightin 4 gud infrastructure abi wat dy'l eat...if dy like build 1LT 4 each dptmnt,it wnt stp nig 4rm producing sm useless ggradu8,ppl wl stl grdu8 wt 3rd class,wat of som of dm dt dnt evn knw wat dy teach,wnt dy tel fg to do smtin about it,or som of dm dt kums 2 class 3rice in a semester,dy r jst old fools...May God punish dm 4 makin sm of us go thru rubbish @home

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ambode At 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day Celebration / Peter Obi's Supporters Plan One Million March On Saturday / Obi's Endorsement: Labour Party Asks Other Nigerian Leaders To Emulate Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.