Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,943 members, 7,821,301 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary (8566 Views)

Bukola Saraki's 53rd Birthday Party And Cake / Eligibility: PDP Congratulates Jonathan For Victory At Appeal Court / APC Congratulates Jonathan Over Visit To Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Fynestboi: 6:07am On Oct 01, 2013
fynestboi: Washington, DC – The U.S. President, Barack Obama, has congratulated President Goodluck Jonathan and the people of Nigeria as the nation celebrates 53rd anniversary it Independence Day on Oct.1.

“A warm friendship connects the Nigerian and American people, reflecting our shared values of democracy, economic growth, security, and respect for human rights and the rule of law.

“Our partnership is strong because of our people, as the proverb tells us, if you want to go quickly go alone. If you want to go far go together,’’ Obama in a statement, issued by Secretary of State, John Kerry said on Monday.

He added that in the coming years, the U.S. would be looking forward to going further with Nigeria as the country expands education, jobs and opportunity for its people.

US President Barack Obama (R) shakes hands with President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria before their bilateral meeting in New York on September 23, 2013 on the sideline of the United Nations General Assembly. AFP

“On the 53rd anniversary of your independence, I wish all Nigerians a safe and prosperous future,” Kerry quoted the U.S. president as saying.

Meanwhile, in the historic city, New York, Nigerians and friends of Nigeria from around the world are gearing up to celebrate the anniversary of Nigeria’s Independence.

The celebration is scheduled from Oct.3 to 5 with activities ranging from party for young Nigerians and their friends, to a cultural night where the youth would demonstrate appreciation of their Nigerian heritage.

Also there would be an Independence Day Parade/Carnival and Festival.
People from all walks of life are expected at the celebration to showcase the glory of Nigeria.

The theme for this year’s celebration is “Nigeria, Time for change’.

Nigeria’s Independence Day celebration in New York started in 1991.
The celebration is usually the largest of its kind by any African nation in the U.S. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/obama-congratulates-jonathan-nigerians-53rd-independence-anniversary/

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Jeel: 6:10am On Oct 01, 2013
Thank you Obama
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Localamos(m): 6:19am On Oct 01, 2013
when presidential hand shake gets to the elbow, it becomes something else.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by manny4life(m): 6:19am On Oct 01, 2013
Jeel: Thank you Obama

Don't thank him just yet, I've been following the news past 12:51am, the U.S. FG finally shutdown, what do you expect people like us to do? Oh btw, I know it's not Obama's fault, but I would like for him to weigh in on this issue, time to compromise and return people back to work. Sequestration is hard enough already, a whole lot of people cannot afford a govt shutdown... The great America is gradually falling.

1 Like

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Danhumprey: 8:03am On Oct 01, 2013
I heard the U.S Government has shut-down due to disagreement between the Federal legislators? Anyway,thanks to Obama for taking time out to wish us a happy Independence Day celebration.
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 01, 2013
show our laders the way
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by stalyf(m): 10:03am On Oct 01, 2013
Noted President Obama
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by rozayx5(m): 10:03am On Oct 01, 2013
if it was GEJ Government that SHut down, i 4 no hear word, SMH for useless and clueless Opposition undecided undecided

8 Likes

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Aromas: 10:03am On Oct 01, 2013
Eseeeeeeee oooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by 9jawikileaks(m): 10:04am On Oct 01, 2013
Obama: will your independence day congratz change the price of garri, or stop the evil killings by boko haram? If yes: thank u very much, If no: StF up and stop playing politics wt Nigeria.
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by iamswizz(m): 10:21am On Oct 01, 2013
If anybody wishes Nigeria happy independence.... Then i wish them 53yrs of what we've passed through.
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by triploc: 10:23am On Oct 01, 2013
9jawikileaks: Obama: will your independence day congratz change the price of garri, or stop the evil killings by boko haram? If yes: thank u very much, If no: StF up and stop playing politics wt Nigeria.

Go and farm jo!!! na people dey there farm cassava wey u wan dey buy their garri cheap all the time, farmers gats chop too,they gats buy motor too nah, abeg free garri....... hapi independence day naija happy shut down america

3 Likes

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 01, 2013
Fynestboi:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/obama-congratulates-jonathan-nigerians-53rd-independence-anniversary/
yes of course... Eri ama se olorun ni jarogun ekun...God bless 9ja
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 01, 2013
Enangson: show our ladders the way
yes o plus staircase 2 n lifts den bridges
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by hunter21(m): 10:37am On Oct 01, 2013
see as some people just dey display bigotry.^^
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Willgates(m): 10:47am On Oct 01, 2013
tcheew
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Big4wig(m): 10:50am On Oct 01, 2013
9ja @ 53 result

Electricity..............E8
Education.............E8
Prostitution..........A1
Good Road.............D7
Banking Sector......E8
Bombing...............A1.
Creativity..................D7
Telecommunication....E8
Security....................F9
Corruption...............A1
Cash Embezzlement.A1
Leadership...............F9
Job opportunity.........F9 & OBAMA DEY CONGRATULATE AM,FOR WHAT NAA..mtshww

2 Likes

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life:

Don't thank him just yet, I've been following the news past 12:51am, the U.S. FG finally shutdown, what do you expect people like us to do? Oh btw, I know it's not Obama's fault, but I would like for him to weigh in on this issue, time to compromise and return people back to work. Sequestration is hard enough already, a whole lot of people cannot afford a govt shutdown... The great America is gradually falling.

Don't ever make comment on what you know nothing about, ok? The shutdown is not in anyway Obama's fault blame your fellow "Republicans lower house" only if they would see the bright side of obamacare, they wouldn't want to cripple the economy. BTW shutdown is not a bad as you've painted it, if it goes on for a month the GDP reduces by 0.3% which am very sure it wouldn't be that long before things get back to normal.

1 Like

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by skyscraperTM(m): 11:07am On Oct 01, 2013
only if he knows how messed up niqeria is, imaqine we`re busy celebratinq independence in time of boko_haram, assu strike, corruption et all¡ #smh
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by comrChris(m): 11:13am On Oct 01, 2013
Big4wig: 9ja @ 53 result

Electricity..............E8
Education.............E8
Prostitution..........A1
Good Road.............D7
Banking Sector......E8
Bombing...............A1.
Creativity..................D7
Telecommunication....E8
Security....................F9
Corruption...............A1
Cash Embezzlement.A1
Leadership...............F9
Job opportunity.........F9 & OBAMA DEY CONGRATULATE AM,FOR WHAT NAA..mtshww
### Abeg lo joko jare,anyway that is ur own view but l tell u nigeria has beyond that ur useless result

8 Likes

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by solomon111(m): 11:17am On Oct 01, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
only if he knows how messed up niqeria is, imaqine we`re busy celebratinq independence in time of boko_haram, assu strike, corruption et all¡ #smh
All these are challenges of an evolving and developing society,so shut up.

3 Likes

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by simdam500(m): 11:21am On Oct 01, 2013
Thanks Obama smiley
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by solomon111(m): 11:25am On Oct 01, 2013
adeaugustus:
Don't ever make comment on what you know nothing about, ok? The shutdown is not in anyway Obama's fault blame your fellow "Republicans lower house" only if they would see the bright side of obamacare, they wouldn't want to cripple the economy. BTW shutdown is not a bad as you've painted it, if it goes on for a month the GDP reduces by 0.3% which am very sure it wouldn't be that long before things get back to normal.
These are signs of a falling empire.
The great roman empire did not fall at once,it also began like this.
The american empire is beginning to degrade.
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by leggo: 11:26am On Oct 01, 2013
A lot ofnigerians are ignorant. The US govt shutting down is a sign of a govt working not failing.. knowledge is power
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Morgan1092(m): 11:28am On Oct 01, 2013
He will soon congratulate Biafra independence #teambiafra#
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Pattey(m): 11:34am On Oct 01, 2013
adeaugustus:

The person you quoted clearly stated "I know it's not Obama's fault". . . Will U be a good boy and apologize now for making a/an _______ response.
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 01, 2013
solomon111: These are signs of a falling empire.
The great roman empire did not fall at once,it also began like this.
The american empire is beginning to degrade.

And the Nigerian empire is beginning to rise abi?....*smh*
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 01, 2013
Pattey:

The person you quoted clearly stated "I know it's not Obama's fault". . . Will U be a good boy and apologize now for making a/an _______ response.
cheesy

He/she should have save the equivocation.

@Manny4life... If you're reading this, am sorry for lashing out at you without reading you comment very well.

1 Like

Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by Fynestboi: 11:43am On Oct 01, 2013
iamswizz: If anybody wishes Nigeria happy independence.... Then i wish them 53yrs of what we've passed through.
lmao
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by manny4life(m): 11:49am On Oct 01, 2013
adeaugustus:

Shutdown isn't as bad as I painted it? I pity you because you aren't affected or perhaps you have no idea what you're talking about. ALL FG agencies from banking to aviation to regulatory agencies and what have you (with exception of "critical" employees) are out and you're here talking is not as bad as I painted. Pick a sector or an agency and I will tell you how govt shutdown affects us all.

My friend, I have heard enough GDP talk over the past week and half, let's drop this. This is about millions of Americans and their income, I gave an example, DC is expected to get hit the most because more than a million people commute to DC either by road (personal or public transport), rail, some by boats and what have you. In the economic cycle, people got to earn money to spend it.

Imagine where 1million people will file unemployment for lost wages due to this effect, have you thought about that?

Imagine private employees who as a result of the FG loose a potential income and have to depend on unemployment wage, have you thought about that??

They've sent out several agency emails, Office of Contracting and Procurement, whether Defense, Logistics, Aviation etc have all been suspended. When contractors don't get paid, how do you expect their employees to cope? Without money, where else do they depend on?

When corporations loose money just for today, how they hell do you expect them to cover the loss? Where do their employees turn to?

By law, when the govt is shutdown, it means there's no activity in govt and thus govt can't charge taxes (not too sure, but that's the speculation), what it means is that certain businesses may not remit their taxes to the govt for today, how do you resolve that?

I can continue to go on and on, but it won't help the status quo but you get the point. Several institutions - corporate, private, non profit etc are affected by the govt decision, and not ONLY FG employees.
Re: Obama Congratulates Jonathan, Nigerians On 53rd Independence Anniversary by manny4life(m): 11:50am On Oct 01, 2013
adeaugustus:
He/she should have save the equivocation.

@Manny4life... If you're reading this, am sorry for lashing out at you without reading you comment very well.

Well, I stepped out but since you've apologized, I withdraw my comment.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prof Osibanjo Might Be In A Few Days Be Nigeria President / FG, Niger Republic To Partner On Rail Construction – Amaechi / Governor Ikpeazu Sacks ASEPA, APUMA Bosses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.