Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,872 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? (12545 Views)

Are There Vegans/ Vegetarians In The House?? Lets Meet Here!! / Are There Really Vegetarians In Naija / Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by deols(f): 5:11pm On Oct 05, 2013
chineloSA: I am. Not by choice though, only because of serious health reasons that could not be ignored. undecided undecided undecided

I only eat fish within the meat family/ seafood.

Its been 7 good years.

You are not a vegetarian. What is your health condition, if you don't mind.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by chiboy429(m): 5:12pm On Oct 05, 2013
IdeaIsNeed: Guru maharaji followers

whats wrong with guru maharaj jis followers.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by kunlekuz4: 5:12pm On Oct 05, 2013
hmmmmn

Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by deols(f): 5:16pm On Oct 05, 2013
I thought only Indians have religious reasons for not eating meet. I never knew some Christian sects don't as well .

Most vegetarians in this part of the world are in it for health reasons.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 05, 2013
deols:

You don kolo be that..

heheh. see a psychologist please

Are you alright? I don't need a psychologist, am not sure if I can say that about you though.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 05, 2013
deols:

You are not a vegetarian.
ok. It's not like you get an accolade for being one.

2 Likes

Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by chineloSA(f): 5:31pm On Oct 05, 2013
deols:

You are not a vegetarian. What is your health condition, if you don't mind.

I wonder what makes you to say I am not Do you know me? Smdh

Well, I develop a skin condition which looks like ringworms from my head down to my toes. It forms something like a big round ringworm, when it dries out, my skin honestly resembled a frogs skin.
One time I was forced to cut my hair so that I could be treated.

Tests were done, though not completed as they take not one but numerous tests.

So what makes a vegetarian ''PROFESSOR OF DOCTORS" undecided undecided undecided
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 05, 2013
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by chineloSA(f): 5:36pm On Oct 05, 2013
adeaugustus:

Tell her, she sounds very silly and annoying to me. Self appointed "VEGETERIAN POLICE" shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by Mayydayy(m): 5:38pm On Oct 05, 2013
Yes.am a vegetarian.i like my SUYA wt vegetables.

1 Like

Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by deols(f): 5:42pm On Oct 05, 2013
adeaugustus:
of course. But for the benefit of this discussion, we need to get the right idea of who is a vegetarian so as not to pass the wrong messages.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by deols(f): 5:43pm On Oct 05, 2013
adeaugustus:
Are you alright? I don't need a psychologist, am not sure if I can say that about you though.

Sorry. I didnt mean to be offensive. If anatomy is what is keeping you from eating meat and you feel like you are eating human flesh when you eat meat, then there is something wrong.

The one who can help you out is a psychologist and that is if you accept that you need it.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by deols(f): 5:47pm On Oct 05, 2013
chineloSA:

I wonder what makes you to say I am not Do you know me? Smdh

Well, I develop a skin condition which looks like ringworms from my head down to my toes. It forms something like a big round ringworm, when it dries out, my skin honestly resembled a frogs skin.
One time I was forced to cut my hair so that I could be treated.

Tests were done, though not completed as they take not one but numerous tests.

So what makes a vegetarian ''PROFESSOR OF DOCTORS" undecided undecided undecided

I am not a professor yet but a doctor to be.

Vegetarians don't eat fish but you said you eat fish. You could say that you are on a no-meat diet or whatever translates to mean that.

so, how do you do now and what medication do you take

apart from meat, what else do you keep away from?
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:49pm On Oct 05, 2013
dayleke: Happy Sabbath to you too Lady.
"Maranatha"!!!!!
BTW,Is sabbath over at your end or
what you doing on NL @ this time?

I'm not an SDA; I only attended an SDA school.

Oh how I miss Tofu!
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by badmeat(m): 5:51pm On Oct 05, 2013
I have only bleeped a vegetan babe!do I qualify as a vege,undecided
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:51pm On Oct 05, 2013
In some Traditional Religions, it is encouraged to become Vegetarian.

Even though Im not one yet, I would like to salute all vegetarians for the great self-sacrifice they undertake for the benifit of our fellow creatures. That is also a form of sacrifice and it is a good one at that.

The Gods Bless yall. cool
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by Nazirano(m): 5:52pm On Oct 05, 2013
I av been a vegetarian since i was 13, am use 2 it. ma dad is a Veg bt ma mum is nt, so wen am @ house ma mum cuks our meal separately nd i dnt usually eat outside. am proud 2 b one.

1 Like

Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:56pm On Oct 05, 2013
Nazirano: I av been a vegetarian since i was 13, am use 2 it. ma dad is a Veg bt ma mum is nt, so wen am @ house ma mum cuks our meal separately nd i dnt usually eat outside. am proud 2 b one.

wow thats strange. usually it is the females who are veg.

I salute you Sir! cool
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Oct 05, 2013
deols:

Sorry. I didnt mean to be offensive. If anatomy is what is keeping you from eating meat and you feel like you are eating human flesh when you eat meat, then there is something wrong.

The one who can help you out is a psychologist and that is if you accept that you need it.
Have you ever dissect a cadavers before? If no, Then you can only imagine. The fact is it's pretty normal, some get to grow out of it, while others don't.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by chineloSA(f): 6:03pm On Oct 05, 2013
deols:

I am not a professor yet but a doctor to be.

Vegetarians don't eat fish but you said you eat fish. You could say that you are on a no-meat diet or whatever translates to mean that.

so, how do you do now and what medication do you take

apart from meat, what else do you keep away from?

Mxceeeewww.

Things dont always happen as per the theory you learn at the Medical School,luv. There are things that Medical Scientists say cant happen and they happen.

So take some several seat and save your knowledge for when you go for your practicals.If you were qualified, I would have engaged with you.

I cannot appoint a student to be my GP. I have attended doctors qualified than your self in terms of knowledge and experience ( Dermatologist, Hamatologist etc) to resolve my problem. Sorry, cant waist my time on an unqualified novice.

The way you question is very rude. wink wink wink wink
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 05, 2013
deols:
of course. But for the benefit of this discussion, we need to get the right idea of who is a vegetarian so as not to pass the wrong messages.

Wrong message? Am not passing any message at all. Just sharing my experience, ok? And stop quoting me for God sake!
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by deols(f): 6:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
chineloSA:

Mxceeeewww.

Things dont always happen as per the theory you learn at the Medical School,luv. There are things that Medical Scientists say cant happen and they happen.

So take some several seat and save your knowledge for when you go for your practicals.If you were qualified, I would have engaged with you.

I cannot appoint a student to be my GP. I have attended doctors qualified than your self in terms of knowledge and experience ( Dermatologist, Hamatologist etc) to resolve my problem. Sorry, cant waist my time on an unqualified novice.

The way you question is very rude. wink wink wink wink

oh. sorry once again.

I was not trying to tell you what to do. You can see that I am trying to understand your situation. I was surprised you provided the earlier info.

You can answer my questions or not. It is up to you.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by deols(f): 6:11pm On Oct 05, 2013
adeaugustus:
Have you ever dissect a cadavers before? If no, Then you can only imagine. The fact is it's pretty normal, some get to grow out of it, while others don't.

Yes I have. I have seen all kinds of things and touched things you cannot imagine.

It is normal to seek help from a psychologist if you need it. I would expect someone like you(don't know what you studied precisely) to understand that.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by deols(f): 6:13pm On Oct 05, 2013
adeaugustus:
Wrong message? Am not passing any message at all. Just sharing my experience, ok? And stop quoting me for God sake!

You can stop being angry and at least try to get my point.I am trying to be nice here only because I am trained to be nice. If you dont want your post quoted, dont make it.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 05, 2013
deols:

Yes I have. I have seen all kinds of things and touched things you cannot imagine.

It is normal to seek help from a psychologist if you need it. I would expect someone like you(don't know what you studied precisely) to understand that.

Ok. Stop quoting me please.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by fridayman1: 6:22pm On Oct 05, 2013
Vivly: Some articles i get to read that deals with vegetarians are mostly whites. This is Nigeria where we have a huge gap between the upper class(the rich) and the lower class(the poor). . The poor are very much concerned with eating to survive than selecting non-animal food.
Also, most muslims can't afford to be vegetarians cuz of thier sallah ram.
Christians too cuz of their christmas chicken
atheists?....
So, have you met any nigerian who is a vegetarian?

My friend, I am one for the past 3yrs. you can call to for more information on this. 07030724810 Mr Friday.

Read this article.

The Vegan-Vegetarian Lifestyle

Author: Professor Walter J. Veith, PhD

Publish date: May 26, 2009

Summary: Veganism, when carried out correctly, provides a wholesome, well-rounded diet.
To most people in the industrialized world, the word vegetarian conjures up images of carrots and lettuce leaves, but nothing could be further from the truth. Vegetarian diets can be very satisfying indeed, as underscored by most of mankind that has subsisted for much of human history on vegetarian or near-vegetarian diets.

vegan food

Even in this modern age, the vast majority of the people who inhabit this planet survive on a largely vegetarian diet.i A prime example are the Hunza people of the Himalayas who are known for their disease-free society and longevity. The Tarahumara Indians of Mexico are also renowned for their stamina and vibrant health, yet both these tribes subsist on largely vegetarian whole-food diets.ii

Vegetarian lifestyles are becoming more and more popular, and many people are adopting the vegetarian diet for reasons of health, religious beliefs, philosophical considerations, or environmental convictions. However, not all the vegetarian practices dictated by some of these convictions are equally beneficial, and some of them, particularly those dictated by religious or metaphysical beliefs, can place severe restrictions on the utilization of certain foods. Moreover, some groups, in addition to following restrictive diets, shun the expertise of nutritional science and the medical profession, and run the risk of suffering malnutrition and associated diseases.

Types of Vegetarianism

Vegetarians can be divided into three categories, depending on the range of foods which are included in the diet:

1. Vegan vegetarians avoid all animal products.

2. Lacto vegetarians include dairy products in their diet.

3. Lacto-ovo-vegetarians include dairy products and eggs in their diet.

Dairy products should, if possible, not be included in the human diet, and the other animal products also have their health risks, particularly in view of modern husbandry practices and the rising incidence of food-borne diseases. However, a diet that excludes all animal products might seem restrictive, and indeed can be, if certain criteria are not met. The more restrictive the diet, the greater the chance of developing deficiencies and nutrient-deficiency related diseases. Risks will increase if single-plant food regimes are adopted such as diets consisting only of fruit or only of legumes or only of cereals. The higher diet levels of the Zen macrobiotic diet are, for example, made up entirely of cereals, and cases of scurvy, anemia, hypoproteinemia, hypocalcemia, and even death from malnutrition have resulted from this lifestyle.iii,iv

Vegan vegetarian diets must be well planned, and special attention must be given to nutrients which occur in low levels or are absent from plant foods. Moreover, pregnant or lactating women and infants and growing children also need specific dietary consideration. However, if due consideration to these points is given, a total plant-based diet can supply all our dietary needs. A variety of plant foods, incorporating grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, fruits, and vegetables, will supply ample nutrients for healthful living. Nutritionists often express skepticism as to the adequacy of a vegetarian diet, and their main concerns revolve around adequacy of proteins, calcium, iron, riboflavin, and vitamin B12.

If combinations of cereals and legumes are used, protein deficiency is extremely unlikely, and numerous studies have proven not only the adequacy, but also the superiority of plant proteins over those of animal origin.ii,v Indeed, the reverse is true in that it is difficult not to exceed recommended protein allowances on a varied vegetarian diet. It is only when calorie needs are not met that the body will preferentially utilize proteins as an energy source, and this may result in deficiencies. Such conditions are mostly found in populations where malnutrition is a common phenomenon. Regarding the other nutrients listed, all these nutrient requirements can be met by plant foods, except for vitamin B12, but this can be supplied through fortified soybean milk, nutritional yeast grown on a B12 medium, or through supplementation.vi,vii Even without supplementation, reports of vegans suffering from vitamin B12 deficiency are extremely rare.

This article is adapted from the book Diet and Health by Professor Walter Veith. Updated January 2009.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i "Position paper on the vegetarian approach to eating," Journal of the American Dietetic Association 77 (1980):61-69.

ii B. Balke and C. Snow, "Anthropological and physiological observations on Tarahumara endurance runners," American Journal of Physical Anthropology 23 (1965): 293-301.

iii U.D. Register and L.M. Sonnenberg, "The vegetarian diet," Journal of the American Dietetic Association 62 (1973): 253-261.

iv Council on foods and Nutrition, "Zen Macrobiotic diets," Journal of the American Medical Association 218 (1971):397.

v D.A. Snowdon, "Animal product consumption and mortality of all causes combined, coronary heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer in Seventh-day Adventists," American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 48 (1988): 739-48.

vi P.B. Mutch, "Food guides for the vegetarian," American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 48 (1988):913-919.

vii D.C. Nieman, "Vegetarian dietary practices and endurance performance," American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 48 (1988):754-61.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 05, 2013
deols:

You can stop being angry and at least try to get my point.I am trying to be nice here only because I am trained to be nice. If you dont want your post quoted, dont make it.
Am sorry if I presented myself to you as a rude person, I was having a really really bad day. Am sorry again.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by MyJoe: 7:22pm On Oct 05, 2013
chineloSA: I am. Not by choice though, only because of serious health reasons that could not be ignored. undecided undecided undecided

I only eat fish within the meat family/ seafood.

Its been 7 good years.
That makes you a pescetarian. Same here. Vegetarians don't eat fish as well as meat.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by AnanseK(m): 7:30pm On Oct 05, 2013
The human specie is omnivorous. If you want to be a vegetarian you would need the anatomy and physiology of a goat , a donkey or a horse. There isn't much you can do about it but to pray that you are a goat or a donkey in your next life.
As for me I eat only as much as I need and have respect for all living things and also plants.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by TeejayMaya(m): 10:41pm On Oct 05, 2013
Its so funny how many Nigerians can be so shallow in their thinking, they are fast to term Vegeterians as belonging to a cult or something... I am a Vegetarian and a proud one at that, being one since birth and would continue to be for life. I don't belong to any cult neither related to any but just naturally chose to be a veg even though my family are not veg. So to answer the OP, yes there are veg in Nigeria and not all are due to religious or occultic reasons as most nigerians term us to be.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by Igbanibo: 12:07am On Oct 06, 2013
Probably not, because they are not goats.
Re: Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? by InvertedHammer: 4:42am On Oct 06, 2013
/
A good number of Nigerians are vegetarians by default. After social status upgrades, they begin to include meat in their meals.

Does this sound familiar: "Madam a beg give me one plate without"
?

//

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Share Your Experience Drinking Pepper Soup. / Get Your Unadulterated Palm Oil Direct From Akwa Ibom / Igbo Men Vs Akpu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.