Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,561 members, 7,840,328 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? (8991 Views)

GEJ & PMB: Power Generation Comparison April 2015 Vs April, 2016 / Bukola Saraki Was Petty Thief As Of 1990 - Sahara Reporters(photos) / Mandela's First Visit To Nigeria After Being Released In 1990 (video And Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by duality(m): 6:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
The Chairman, Electric Power Foundation, Mr. Otis Anyaeji, speaking, recalled that the total installed capacity in 1972 was 523.6 megawatts. By 1990, this had increased to 6,000MW.

Total installed capacity is not the same as what is being generated and transmitted. most of our stations work below installed capacity for some reasons.
The aim of this topic is not clear to me , hence defeated.
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by taharqa: 6:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
This is NOT correct. It is just impossible. In 1990, only d Dams and maybe Egbin, were in operation (or, even built). From where then did that guy get his 6000MWs from??
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by Elsafema: 6:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
There some people in this country that does'nt know power failure, it is my prayer that you and I be one of them weting concern mike adnuga with no light
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by taharqa: 7:00pm On Oct 01, 2013
duality:

Total installed capacity is not the same as what is being generated and transmitted. most of our stations work below installed capacity for some reasons.
The aim of this topic is not clear to me , hence defeated.
Even in respects to Total Install Capacity, 6000MW by 1990 is still impossible.... Egbin is 1320MW (and I doubt it was even fully functional at this time); Kainji, Shiroro and Jebba are together not up to 2000MW. These were d major Power plants at that time, so where did he get his 6000MWs from??
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
Aromas: For your generator installation and other types of generating set for repair please kindly contact us through our email
arorasaq@gmail.com or obanimohabdulrasaq@yahoo.com.
Do you have any question to ask concerning your generator? Because we render assistance to the public on SELF SERVICING which can guide you on repairing your generator by yourself.
Call us on our direct link +2347062300892 or +2348168399168.
Thanks
We shall be expecting your calls

Please, move this to the advert section... Thanks
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by duality(m): 7:13pm On Oct 01, 2013
taharqa: Even in respects to Total Install Capacity, 6000MW by 1990 is still impossible.... Egbin is 1320MW (and I doubt it was even fully functional at this time); Kainji, Shiroro and Jebba are together not up to 2000MW. These were d major Power plants at that time, so where did he get his 6000MWs from??

You know in Nigeria, people speak authoritatively on things they have little knowledge of. even here on this forum.
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by 1009ja: 7:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
Is that why we never has power outage in 1990?
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by Standing5(m): 7:23pm On Oct 01, 2013
Why is 6000 Mw as at 1990 not possible? The military isn't as bad as we have made them look if the truth must be told.
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:45pm On Oct 01, 2013
berem: Does it matter how many megawatts nigeria generated in 1990? We are in 2013 for phuck sake!

Thank God power have improved in my area.

Fresh air things! grin

Good to know you have ported. Welcome!

Go and sin no more.
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by 3ace(m): 7:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
6000MW as at 1990 when power situation was epileptic and they're telling us today that we need about 8000MW for regular power supply. This is hard to understand or maybe NEPA's problems then were transmission and distribution.
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 01, 2013
Some of these Nigerian leaders are not even ashamed to come out to speak about their failure to turn things around. This is ridiculous!

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by akintun: 11:22pm On Oct 01, 2013
Find Out!:

I've said it before that if you look at Nigeria from 1960, we have actually seen much more development and overall better standard of living under MILLITARY rule compared to civillian regimes. Practically all our major infrastructure today were built by the Millitary, the civillians came in, mismanaged (still mismanaging) the ones they met, built very few, then sold (still selling) to their cronies. thats in addition to the "everybody come and eat" we have under civillian regimes. Under the millitary, na only CinC, some MilAds & few other people dey chop money.

From the refineries, power generation, national monuments, even interstate roads, the guys from the barracks have far surpassed their civillian counterparts. While there were building, "democratic" civillians are busy passing budget after budget for maintenance, yet nothing show. Someone will now say it is the "system which cannot change overnight" that is responsible for the collapse of Nigerian Airways, Nitel, NEPA (PHCN), even National Stadium Surulere & National Arts Theatre iganmu e.t.c. as if it was not Nigerians who established these things and had them up and running for quite some time.

2015, make una wise up abeg. Nigeria doesnt deserve leaders who give excuses for their incompetence or lack of performance, leaders who even feel that our major problem is exagerrated (how the heck will he pay serious attention to it when "perception is different from reality"?!!!)

D military actually destroyed dis country. It would take years of civilian rule or a very good military rule( which I doubt) to undo wat d military left us with. Deep rooted corruption in d society, and high interest on gov borrowings are two of d things dat would take long years to solve.
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by roxell120(m): 11:29pm On Oct 01, 2013
so this info is coming out because jonathan is tackling power problems headlong. where were u during OBJs 8yrs rule with the money budgeted for power embezzled?
mr man keep ur record, it has outlives its relevance, we ve moved on.you agents of distraction.
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by FindOut(m): 11:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
akintun:

D military actually destroyed dis country. It would take years of civilian rule or a very good military rule( which I doubt) to undo wat d military left us with. Deep rooted corruption in d society, and high interest on gov borrowings are two of d things dat would take long years to solve.

OK, With the exception of human rights,

Show me one area where the millitary regime "destroyed" that civillian rule, particularly OBJ & GEJ's regimes havn't wreaked further havoc?

Show me one corruption record case under the millitary that less "important" people in civillian regimes havn't surpassed.

Is it 12 billion dollars oil windfall under IBB you want to mention? Wanna compare that with the subsidy fraud & vanishing of our foreign reserves during the last election year?

Is it Abacha's loot you want to mention? By the time we combine OBJ, Ibori, GEJ, Alams together, I''m sure Abacha go gree say Oga na master.

- Now, do you honestly want to tell me that corruption was this rampant even under the evil genius with no one paying the price?
- Dem any Bode George well under the Millitary to be prancing about like a peacock after his jail term? & be openly feted and celebrated by the CinC?
- Dem born any Tinubu well under millitary to steal the amount of money he stole (h& is still stealing)from Lagos?
- Dem born any sitting Head of State & his Chief of General Staff to open private universities WHILE THEY WERE STILL IN OFFICE? Even IBB, na him wife open secondary school, of which i think (not sure tho) she had that going before IBB took over power.
- Go and ask those who went to universities and polytechnics in the 60s and 70s (when we were mostly under millitary rule), even up to early 80s and ask them to compare their time with the present.
- Dem born any C-in-C wife to dey misbehave for a MilAd state like Dame is doing in Rivers?

Make i stop here. examples are many.

Analyse history properly and more carefully and you will get my point which I restate here again: NIGERIA HAS FARED BETTER UNDER MILLITARY RULE THAN CIVILLIAN RULE.

4 Likes

Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by jking001(m): 11:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
BLIND MAN even with the dates in the article of how power generation degenerated u can still say the rubbish then am worried for 9ja

Find Out!:

I've said it before that if you look at Nigeria from 1960, we have actually seen much more development and overall better standard of living under MILLITARY rule compared to civillian regimes. Practically all our major infrastructure today were built by the Millitary, the civillians came in, mismanaged (still mismanaging) the ones they met, built very few, then sold (still selling) to their cronies. thats in addition to the "everybody come and eat" we have under civillian regimes. Under the millitary, na only CinC, some MilAds & few other people dey chop money.

From the refineries, power generation, national monuments, even interstate roads, the guys from the barracks have far surpassed their civillian counterparts. While there were building, "democratic" civillians are busy passing budget after budget for maintenance, yet nothing show. Someone will now say it is the "system which cannot change overnight" that is responsible for the collapse of Nigerian Airways, Nitel, NEPA (PHCN), even National Stadium Surulere & National Arts Theatre iganmu e.t.c. as if it was not Nigerians who established these things and had them up and running for quite some time.

2015, make una wise up abeg. Nigeria doesnt deserve leaders who give excuses for their incompetence or lack of performance, leaders who even feel that our major problem is exagerrated (how the heck will he pay serious attention to it when "perception is different from reality"?!!!)

BLIND MAN even with the dates in the article of how power generation degenerated u can still say the rubbish then am worried for 9ja
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by FindOut(m): 12:09am On Oct 02, 2013
jking001: BLIND MAN even with the dates in the article of how power generation degenerated u can still say the rubbish then am worried for 9ja

You must be referring to this right?

By 1999, Anyaeji stated that electric power production fell to 1,975MW down from about 6,000MW in 1990, as a result of neglect of the sector.

Of course i saw it. Did you also see this:

the total installed capacity in 1972 was 523.6 megawatts. By 1990, this had increased to 6,000MW

Look at the rate of increase within that period. Calculate how many years the millitary & civillians spent in power within that 18 year gap. Now, Compare the rate of improvement (if you like use percentage, or actual number of MW) between 1999 and now, a span of 14 years of pure civillian rule. We were here when 16 billion dollars disappeared into power sector "reforms" with not much to show. Was it under civilian or military regime? Did anyone go to jail? Where is the money?

So who is blind and saying rubbish now?

3 Likes

Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 02, 2013
dridowu: Thanks to military and pdp led govt
*As if it was the military and pdp govt that actually "manned all the installations
*As if it was the pdp and military that connived with the then NEPA and PHCN officials to cut corners and not pay up for the power supplied in those days, which I still remember was fairly stable
*As if it was these class of people whom you are blaming, that will climb up electric poles and reconnect houses at night (we call then NEPA 2) houses that have defaulted and were disconnected!
Now the corrupting seed we had sown has yielded much fruit...
Bro, its eating time...eat the fruit and shut the hell up!
Pdp and military indeed
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by jpphilips(m): 7:42am On Oct 03, 2013
taharqa: This is NOT correct. It is just impossible. In 1990, only d Dams and maybe Egbin, were in operation (or, even built). From where then did that guy get his 6000MWs from??

Afam was doing above 400mw in 1990.
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by jpphilips(m): 7:52am On Oct 03, 2013
taharqa: Even in respects to Total Install Capacity, 6000MW by 1990 is still impossible.... Egbin is 1320MW (and I doubt it was even fully functional at this time); Kainji, Shiroro and Jebba are together not up to 2000MW. These were d major Power plants at that time, so where did he get his 6000MWs from??

you know very little about this country. Afam power plant was operational during the civil war, it was the Nigerian forces that took it out to keep Biafra in darkness. However, since after the war, Afam has experienced several upgrades till date.

there was another power plant in oji, visited that one on excursion even before 1990.
truth is; the military weren't as bad as the civilians painted them.
though I believe their abuse of human right, gave birth to an era of less impunity hence the development we witnessed at the time, unlike now.
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 03, 2013
taharqa: This is NOT correct. It is just impossible. In 1990, only d Dams and maybe Egbin, were in operation (or, even built). From where then did that guy get his 6000MWs from??
You should learn to shut up on things you know nothing about.

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by grafikii: 9:02am On Oct 03, 2013
jp philips:

Afam was doing above 400mw in 1990.
Exactly, i sometimes feel everything actually went bad from 1998. I wonder if democracy suites us
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by grafikii: 9:04am On Oct 03, 2013
jp philips:

you know very little about this country. Afam power plant was operational during the civil war, it was the Nigerian forces that took it out to keep Biafra in darkness. However, since after the war, Afam has experienced several upgrades till date.

there was another power plant in oji, visited that one on excursion even before 1990.
though I believe their abuse of human right, gave birth to an era of less impunity hence the development we witnessed at the time, unlike now.
You are absolutely correct
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by taharqa: 10:52am On Oct 03, 2013
jp philips:

My frnd, keep yr mouth SHUT there. Yea, I forgot to mention Shell's Afam, which was not even producing up to 500MW then. Egbin that I talked about was not even producing near its 1320MW capacity in 1990 (i doubt its 6 units were complete and available then), whilst all d Dams didn't produce up to 1500MW at any time. So how d helll did Nigeria produce up to 6000MW in 1990?? Nigerian total Installed Capacity is still just above this 6000MW TODAY, even afta many new Power Plants and additional units hv bn built since 1990. So what happened to those Plants which purportedly produced 6000MW in 1990? Maybe Earthquakes ate them up, ko? Empty heads bliving anytin they read in d newspapers...
Re: Power Generation Was 6000MW In 1990... True?? by jpphilips(m): 7:35am On Oct 04, 2013
taharqa: My frnd, keep yr mouth SHUT there. Yea, I forgot to mention Shell's Afam, which was not even producing up to 500MW then. Egbin that I talked about was not even producing near its 1320MW capacity in 1990 (i doubt its 6 units were complete and available then), whilst all d Dams didn't produce up to 1500MW at any time. So how d helll did Nigeria produce up to 6000MW in 1990?? Nigerian total Installed Capacity is still just above this 6000MW TODAY, even afta many new Power Plants and additional units hv bn built since 1990. So what happened to those Plants which purportedly produced 6000MW in 1990? Maybe Earthquakes ate them up, ko? Empty heads bliving anytin they read in d newspapers...

you see why I find it difficult to educate half humans like you.
You made a claim that it was impossible, I enlightened you which you admitted you forgot about shell's Afam and oji power plants, your way of saying thanks is ''shut up''.

nobody is saying he has proof that Nigeria was generating 6, 000mw in 1990, my response was to you who mentioned a few plants that you know at the time claiming its all we ve got.

mentioning Egbin, kainji etc as the only plants before 1990 is crass ignorance .

calabar power station was there before 1990 and don't tell me your empty head forgot again .

oji river power plant was there before 1990. actually it was installed in 1956.

sapele power plant was there also cos it was commissioned in 1978.

ughelli power plant was there before 1990 actually, it was commissioned in 1966 just before the war.

kainji, jebba and Shiroro were all there pre 1990.

what I don't understand is why a non living thing like you will conclude it is impossible when you dont even know how many plants that existed pre 1990?

those ones I wrote were the ones I could just remember now but I am certain that under ECA and NDA, we had a lot of power plants.

make a list, sum their capacities before opening your dirty anatomical contour.

The OP may have exaggerated the figure but you need to make a list before you can refute, that is how human beings behave, oh! sorry I forgot you are a non living thing.

This was your comment to remind you how stup!! d you sound.

""In 1990, only d Dams and maybe Egbin,were in operation (or, even
built). From where then did
that guy get his 6000MWs
from??""

(1) (2) (Reply)

OPL 245: Abacha Family And Malabu Trial Scandal / 2023: APC is on course for victory - Governor Yahaya Bello / ODUA City.Including Pictures.It is Time for the Children of Oduduwa to dream big

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.