Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,029 members, 7,818,039 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

How I Became Anti-gej - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Became Anti-gej (1091 Views)

Confirmed: Sahara Reporters Are Anti GEJ(video) / If You Hate GEJ Or Have Ever Cursed On Him (Anti-Gej).. Read This / List Of Anti-GEJ Paid Laptop Guys/girls On Nairaland (paid By ACN And /or CPC?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Became Anti-gej by Femmyfamous4u(m): 7:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
It is no doubt that I have thrown my weight behind GEJ's administration but how'd like to share to you how everything turned around and hence, my decision.

I would urge you to listen and read with rapt attention as disappointment led me to turn against GEJ.

While GEJ was deputy governor of Bayelsa state, I knew nothing about him than the obvious as well as when he became the vice president. GEJ however, got my admiration at the demise of the late Yar'adua(mr rule of law). The politics being played by northerners to deny GEJ the right to succeed the late president simply because he wasn't a northerner or belong to a minority made me route for GEJ.

He assumed the position of the president and served for almost 2 years. He seemed to be an accidental president as he was not prepared and requires experience which led to cabinet reshuffling and other things he did. Much expectations came from Nigerians saying he was slow, weak etc. He did his best to achieve what he could do by embarking on certain reforms ranging from police, economic and especially electoral reforms thereby appointing a credible INEC chairman- Attahiru Jega.

Shortly before 2011, GEJ went about campaigning and I was 1 of his staunchest supporters(probably, more than his current ones). I started campaigning in my little way, telling friends, classmates, family members and people I came in contact wIth why we should give Goodluck a chance by voting him in. I at this time hated Buhari with passion just for no reason( maybe the propaganda against him). If you knew me then, you would be so sure that I was paid to support him but I didn't get a penny but just supported him .
On April, 14, 2011, the election day, I had reminded my peeps that it was Goodluck or nothing ooo and even those who were reluctant to vote I availed myself to go with them to the polling booth.

The eve of the following day saw the collation of the result where Goodluck was declared the winner. YIPPIEEE!!!! I exclaimed seeing that my candidate won.
After election, things went by and critics began to ask questions- what is this fisherman doing? And I was like, haba!! Give him time, he can't do everything at once now.

Although I was not impressed too but I was very optimistic that he would deliver.

THE TURNING POINT
Impunity soon became the order of the day and corruption became more pronounced like never before.

The 1st thing was th oil subsidy scam. When Yar'adua was alive there were just 6 fuel importers and#300 million was paid as subsidy but under 7 months, fuel importers rose to 14 and #1.2 Trillion was paid and Nigerians became to ask questions. Then, the word of every body's tongue was OIL CABAL. When the demand of accountability by Nigerians became much GEJ set up a committee to look into the matter headed by Farouk Lawan( I was happy here) where we saw the oil thieves- Otedola, Ifeanyi Uba, Arisekola's Son, Bamanga Tukur's son etc. Not long after, there was a frame up I.e bribery scandal which was aimed at rubbishing the report by the presidency.
As if that is not enough, kerosene was sold for #50 in the country and it soon skyrockected to #120( Being the only country in the world where kerosene is more expensive than fuel). It was later found that it was a way of compensating the marketers for their funding of GEJ's election.( As much as I did not like all this, I still believed in GEJ)

2) We got the shocker of how life on Jan 1st 2012 when GEJ declared total removal of oil subsidy which was greeted by industrial action in virtually all states in Nigeria especially in Lagos. I was tempted to join the strike because. It was anti-people.

This was the point when my dislike started for him.

3) Oct 1 bombing in which Orkar claimed that MEND was responsible and GEJ refuted saying " it was not MEND" ( that means he KNOWS the bomber or probably masterminded it as claimed by the suspect.
4) NGF election was the straw that broke the camel's back. He failed to recognise the winner and parleyed with Jang's faction.

Now, I've been criticised by those who I coerced against their wish and I believe afterwards that they were right by their aversion to GEJ. Hence, there are daily SO MANY things he does which vindicated me that my decision to be anti-GEJ is justified which beclouds any achievement he may achieve again.

I know there are so many people out there who like me have withdrawn their support for him. To all GEJ supporters, well, you may stick to your guns since democracy accords you freedom to choose.

As 2015 is around the corner, I will personally advice him not to contest, bacause if he does, he WON'T win( not even with all the money in the world) and if he dare tries to rig, he would be surprised at the way Nigerians would respond.

I am not a fan of APC neither but I like many Nigerians love people that deliver irrespective of tribe or region they came from. So, my fellow Nigerians I will urge you all to vote only those with proven record of delivering dividends of democracy and not out of sheer sentiment , "na our pikin", etc.

4 Likes

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by magapagal: 7:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
Who are u campaigning for?

1 Like

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by adanny01(m): 8:07pm On Oct 01, 2013
Your account sounds like mine, only differed by your reason to vote for Jonathan in 2011.

There were two candidates with prospects at that election, Jonathan and Buhari. As a Christian Northerner from a minority tribe, the battle line was drawn along religious lines with PDP on the Christian side and CPC on the Muslim side.

I liked the man Buhari and had the fantacy of him setting Nigeria back to order using his desciplinerian principles. I fell out on him after comments attributed to him circulated and his romance with Islamic fanatics. I found no place in his team of supporters as nearly all of them are Muslims.

Goodluck was our hero for picking Namadi as his deputy, giving my part of the state an opportunity of occupying the apex position of the governor which in the entire long history of the state had never happened. It was what we long longed for and Goodluck was our hero. By 2011, our own had the opportunity of becoming an elected Governor using the power of incumbency. The battle line was drawn as Muslims massively decamped to CPC because they were not going to vote for a Christian coming from the south of the state.

By now, it was an all Muslim versus Christian election. The rest of us that were on the fence had to pitch tent with Jonathan as a Christian candidate.

With all the increased impunity, corruption and our own dear Governor long dead, i am now a voter free for grasp by any candidate other than Jonathan.

2 Likes

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by luvmijeje(f): 8:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
How many votes do they want to rig? Remember, the opposition will also rig. What the President still don't understand is that our votes put him there not the rigged votes.
Re: How I Became Anti-gej by Clerverly: 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2013
Op, don't worry about the rigging, I can assure you, he won't find it easy in 2015. You can only rig election in areas where you are popular, anything outside that, na violence of unequal magnitude be that!
Re: How I Became Anti-gej by solomon111(m): 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2013
Who cares if you are anti-GEJ?
That's the beauty of democracy.
You do not owe anybody an apology.
Many people are also pro-GEJ ,and they will vote for him in 2015.

4 Likes

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by adanny01(m): 9:22pm On Oct 01, 2013
solomon111: Who cares if you are anti-GEJ?
That's the beauty of democracy.
You do not owe anybody an apology.
Many people are also pro-GEJ ,and they will vote for him in 2015.

The problem is that Jonathan is losing those who voted him in 2011 and he is becoming more unpopular. In 2015 he will get far less support than he got in 2011. He should hope it will not be far enough to deny him a win.

1 Like

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
@OP..,most of what you wrote are false.

POINT OF CORRECTION: The number of fuel marketers during Yar Adua was not 6. It was much more than that. Unfortunately, I cant provide any link to substantiate it now but suffice to say that the amount of money paid out to marketers within that period (hundreds of billions) could never have been to just 6 marketers. The increase in number of marketers started from OBJ regime and continued through to Yar Adua and GEJ. The number was reduced in 2013 by about 40%.

Again fuel subsidy payment under Yar Adua was not N600 million. Lets stay with the FACTS. In 2008, the subsidy payment was N633.192 billion. In 2007, it was N278 billion.
http://www.enownow.com/news/story.php?sno=2303

Note the almost 300% rise between 2007 and 2008. That is what volatility in oil price can cause. The reduction in fuel price by Yar Adua in 2007 also contributed to the sharp increase in subsidy.

The other points you raised are neither here nor there. For instance, the fuel price increase in 2012 is not a major issue because fuel price, like every other commodity, cannot remain stagnant. It will always follow the price of crude oil. OBJ increased fuel price about 6 times. Others before OBJ also increased fuel price. Yes, Yar Adua reduced fuel price to allow him stabilize his govt in 2007, but for ill-health, he would have removed subsidy in 2009. The recently elected govt of Ghana just removed fuel subsidy. The successor of GEJ will either remove subsidy or increase fuel price (except the price of crude falls). So in essence, we MUST face the reality that the price of fuel cannot remain stagnant just like the price of garri, sugar, rice,etc

I'm shocked you'r bringing up the issue of NGF election. It shows you lack genuine reasons. You'r were just shopping for reasons to justify your position. How does NGF election affect the common man? How does it improve the economy of the nation? Does it provide jobs for the unemployed? Besides, if the governors have dispute in their internal election or anything, they can approach the courts for interpretation of the law. Why should the common man fight for governors who are fat cats? Why did Fashola withdraw the case in court if the Amaechi group had a solid case?

In summary, your lists of wrong doings against GEJ pale into INSIGNIFICANCE when compared to the PROGRESS made within the period. I will provide you a link to the PROGRESS shortly.
https://www.nairaland.com/1375008/fresh-air-bumper-harvest-timelines

Besides the above CORRECTIONS, you have every right to support any candidate of your choice. I wish you Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by solomon111(m): 9:45pm On Oct 01, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @OP..,most of what you wrote are false.

POINT OF CORRECTION: The number of fuel marketers during Yar Adua was not 6. It was much more than that. Unfortunately, I cant provide any link to substantiate it now but suffice to say that the amount of money paid out to marketers within that period (hundreds of billions) could never have been to just 6 marketers. The increase in number of marketers started from OBJ regime and continued through to Yar Adua and GEJ. The number was reduced in 2013 by about 40%.

Again fuel subsidy payment under Yar Adua was not N600 million. Lets stay with the FACTS. In 2008, the subsidy payment was N633.192 billion. In 2007, it was N278 billion.
http://www.enownow.com/news/story.php?sno=2303

Note the almost 300% rise between 2007 and 2008. That is what volatility in oil price can cause. The reduction in fuel price by Yar Adua in 2007 also contributed to the sharp increase in subsidy.

The other points you raised are neither here nor there. For instance, the fuel price increase in 2012 is not a major issue because fuel price, like every other commodity, cannot remain stagnant. It will always follow the price of crude oil. OBJ increased fuel price about 6 times. Others before OBJ also increased fuel price. Yes, Yar Adua reduced fuel price to allow him stabilize his govt in 2007, but for ill-health, he would have removed subsidy in 2009. The recently elected govt of Ghana just removed fuel subsidy. The successor of GEJ will either remove subsidy or increase fuel price (except the price of crude falls). So in essence, we MUST face the reality that the price of fuel cannot remain stagnant just like the price of garri, sugar, rice,etc

I'm shocked you'r bringing up the issue of NGF election. It shows you lack genuine reasons. You'r were just shopping for reasons to justify your position. How does NGF election affect the common man? How does it improve the economy of the nation? Does it provide jobs for the unemployed? Besides, if the governors have dispute in their internal election or anything, they can approach the courts for interpretation of the law. Why should the common man fight for governors who are fat cats? Why did Fashola withdraw the case in court if the Amaechi group had a solid case?

In summary, your lists of wrong doings against GEJ pale into INSIGNIFICANCE when compared to the PROGRESS made within the period. I will provide you a link to the PROGRESS shortly.
https://www.nairaland.com/1375008/fresh-air-bumper-harvest-timelines
I just decided to read what the OP wrote,and i agree with you.
Most of what the OP gave as reasons are either irrelevant crap or just plain mistruths.
He is probably one of those buhari goons that lie about supporting and voting GEJ in 2011,whereas they never did.

1 Like

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by jjagz: 9:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
OP, wait,
1. The Farouk Lawan issue is a national assembly matter, Jonathan no get hand there.

2. Jonathan has no business in the NGF. And as a human, Amaechi has been openly fighting Jonathan. If you were Jonathan whose line would you tow?

3. People do not get the fuel subsidy removal thing till today. By removing fuel subsidy Jonathan did not "officially" increase the pump price of Petrol. Rather what happened was that the price became open to free market forces, therefore that was the handwork of the marketers who are of course the thieves here. How would you explain selling petrol today for #67 naira today nd tomorrow its #130 or higher from the same stock you had.

4. That said, for better management I would prefer removal of subsidy.

5. About the bombing issue, if Okah Henry claimed responsibility, he won't be pleading not guilty in court. And you don't expect the President to tell you everything, some Info has to be classified. However, to be fair to Jonathan, the capability of Boko boys to bomb has reduced, that's why they have taken to killing poor innocent citizens in abnormal places like schools.

6. OP, I know I probably won't change your mind, But if there is any of yoour arguments I haven't countered. Feel free to hit me up.

2 Likes

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
solomon111: I just decided to read what the OP wrote,and i agree with you.
Most of what the OP gave as reasons are either irrelevant crap or just plain mistruths.
He is probably one of those buhari goons that lie about supporting and voting GEJ in 2011,whereas they never did.
It just shows how desperate these opposition elements have become and how low they'r willing to sink.

1 Like

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by EKONGKING: 9:54pm On Oct 01, 2013
who according to u must replace GEJ. It is easy to hate but kindly suggest the alternative

1 Like

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by egift(m): 10:31pm On Oct 01, 2013
Me I only supported him when Madam kept him in the boys-quarters after Yar'Adua left, because it was the right thing to do we march the streets to make our points know.

1. But after that I did not support him again. I know failure when I see one.
- How can Alams be guilty of stealing Bayelsa money and his deputy GEJ will not be aware?
- When OBJ selected Jonathan, they were better candidates in the South-South (my favorite was Duke of Cross River).
- Jonathan lied he spoke with Yar'Adua when he did.
- GEJ could not hold FEC meeting because they may not allow him to sit on the President's seat.
- He was so weak we only got to know him when he was about becoming Acting President. Before that nothing worth mentioning.
- Militant operations boomed when he was Governor.

2. Presently, there is no consolation to anyone who will want to support him:
- ASUU is on strike
- Resident Doctor and PHCN will be joining this week
- Militants, Kidnappers and Criminals benefit more from Jonathan than law-abiding Nigeria Graduates.
- Corruption is very high. Under the supervision of Jonathan you can steal all you want as long as you sing his praise, say it is a most to vote Jonathan and remember to share the loot as well.
- His Government only embark on picture-sounding pragrammes that have little or no direct impact on the masses.
- Trillions are spent and nothing to show for it.
- Jonathan divide Nigerians along religious and ethnic lines.
- He is surrounded and advised by some of Nigeria's finest political criminals.
- With due respect, he is weak. It would have been nice if that weakness is complemented by wisdom. Sadly not so.
- He is wasteful. Unable to utilize scare resources to maximize result.
- He is boastful (I will do this, I will do that, FG to, FG will). Reasonable leaders simply commission completed projects not propaganda.
- He supports and sides with corrupt people even when its obvious.
- When a crisis have some political benefits for him, he will pretend not to be aware. When he finally acts, it will be little and too late.

3. Finally:
- I love the President only for one reason, he has an innocent-looking face and deceptive smile to go with it.
- GEJ should not contest the 2015 elections because he have no new ideas (if he does, why is he not executing them?)
- Jonathan have proved he does not keep to agreements. (He should not make Nigerians more promises, just concentrate on the one he made) His words are not reliable.

It does not matter who comes after him, what is important is, Nigerians should learn to kick out their leaders when they do not perform (irrespective of where, who or position they occupy).

I have not given up on Nigeria. God bless Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 01, 2013
Clerverly: Op, don't worry about the rigging, I can assure you, he won't find it easy in 2015. You can only rig election in areas where you are popular, anything outside that, na violence of unequal magnitude be that!

When cowards issue threat don't even bother blinking SMH.

1 Like

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by egift(m): 10:38pm On Oct 01, 2013
EKONGKING: who according to u must replace GEJ. It is easy to hate but kindly suggest the alternative
It does not matter who it is. Kick-out the leaders who do not perform. The ones coming next will have to sit up. It will be a shame on you if you believe without Jonathan, nobody can lead Nigeria better.

The labours of our past Heroes shall not be in vain.

1 Like

Re: How I Became Anti-gej by EKONGKING: 6:41am On Mar 11, 2021
egift:

It does not matter who it is. Kick-out the leaders who do not perform. The ones coming next will have to sit up. It will be a shame on you if you believe without Jonathan, nobody can lead Nigeria better.

The labours of our past Heroes shall not be in vain.

After 8 years , Internet never forgets . This idiot has disappeared or dead from 2016 , drunk on freshness of sai baba
Re: How I Became Anti-gej by Ofodirinwa: 6:51am On Mar 11, 2021
Re: How I Became Anti-gej by mbaise1000: 7:59am On Mar 11, 2021
Wow, where is this op now?
How about you come back and tell us how it is after and then compare?
For me I ONLY said then that buhari will make JONATHAN look like a saint and I am correct, the 5% is correct, PROUDLY 5%.
Op I know you are 97% and probably proud of it too, but I know for certain that the 97% will remain where they were and repeat what they did in 2015 and 2019 not because they don't know the consequences but mainly to spite the 5%, save this comment chief, by next four to six years, someone will come out here to tell us this type of story

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Is A "Lamb" President Who Lack Ideas -- Femi Fani-kayode. / Busted!!! Peter Obis' Clandestine Plot To Buy Up Orient Petroleum Exposed / Top Ten Reasons Why President Jonathan Has Not Fired Stella Oduah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.