Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,876 members, 7,844,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

The Nigeria I Met - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigeria I Met (1546 Views)

Lai Mohammed: “How I Met My Wife Kudi” / How I Met Bola Tinubu – Babatunde Fashola / Tompolo: Why I Met With MEND (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 11:47am On Oct 02, 2013
Its suprising how my dear country Nigeria has transited.I went to visit an elderly woman on independence day and she started feeding me with the Nigeria she met and I compared it with the Nigeria I met.I realised they are miles ahead.She told me in those days when you are in your finals in the university,companies would have come to start conducting interviews for students.And as you leave school,a car attached to the job is already waiting for you(with house loan inclusive).It sounded like a story to me.Please can the elderly ones in the house please share their experiences with us about the Nigeria they met
Re: The Nigeria I Met by bloggernaija: 3:37pm On Oct 02, 2013
Stories from the SW civilisation .
Back in em days,a farmer leaves his produce by a busy roadside with small pebbles denoting the price.
He comes back in 2weeks to meet the money paid by customers intact .
My grandmother used to smack my Dad for buying/eating any processed food like geisha ,sardine or milk in a can.
They were regarded as unhealthy food.they are still unhealthy.
They used to get fresh milk back in them days.
They were really health conscious back in those days and my 78 year old auntie still walks 4 miles everyday because of that awareness.
All you needed to travel out of Nigeria was a ticket.you could go on a 2wks cruise from Lagos to London .
Friday night was enjoyment night.even the remotest villages never slept.
Lagos was the commercial capital back them but there were many boom towns in those days.
A man could make decent money/living in
Aba,Enugu,onitsha,Ibadan ,ilorin,Abeokuta,jos,kaduna,Kano ,kotangora,sapele,warri, calabar etc.

In the SW, water ran,there was electricity,law and order and the feeling that tmrw was going to be better than yesterday and today.
You just don't buy land and build houses haphazardly .you need planning permission to do that.
There was a strict liquor license regime.
You can only sell alcohol at the time prescribed by your license.
You can order stuffs from catalogues from any part of the world.
Your post gets delivered right to your front door
And so on .

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 1:39pm On Oct 03, 2013
bloggernaija: Stories from the SW civilisation .
Back in em days,a farmer leaves his produce by a busy roadside with small pebbles denoting the price.
My grandmother used to smack my Dad for buying/eating any processed food like geisha ,sardine or milk in a can.
They were really health conscious back in those days and my 78 year old auntie still walks 4 miles everyday because of that awareness.
All you needed to travel out of Nigeria was a ticket.you could go on a 2wks cruise from Lagos to London .
Lagos was the commercial capital back them but there were many boom towns in those days.
Aba,Enugu,onitsha,Ibadan ,ilorin,Abeokuta,jos,kaduna,Kano ,kotangora,sapele,warri, calabar etc.

In the SW, water ran,there was electricity,law and order and the feeling that tmrw was going to be better than yesterday and today.
You just don't buy land and build houses haphazardly .you need planning permission to do that.
And so on .
bloggernaija: Stories from the SW civilisation .

And so on .

Its almost unbelievable to think that this ever happened in Nigeria....You mean it happened real life!!!Are you trying to say there wasn't corruption back then?No armed robbery,no fraudsters?It was then a perfect society?
Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 4:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
EmekaAfrica:

Its almost unbelievable to think that this ever happened in Nigeria....You mean it happened real life!!!Are you trying to say there wasn't corruption back then?No armed robbery,no fraudsters?It was then a perfect society?

Hey guys, do share your experiences on the the state of Nigeria you met.Am still waiting....I need to Know
Re: The Nigeria I Met by Biggoozz: 4:17pm On Oct 18, 2013
Weep not, I will console you with this: "There is heaven, prepare for it".

The reality is that while truly the world has developed a great deal technology and other-wise, no nation on earth has retained the good old days that was made beautiful by the quality of character or morals of the people. Nigeria however I must say seems to have fared worst.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria I Met by Kponkwem(m): 4:29pm On Oct 18, 2013
EmekaAfrica:

Hey guys, do share your experiences on the the state of Nigeria you met.Am still waiting....I need to Know

Growing up in the 80's I recal housewives who display stuff outside for sale would indicate the price with pebbles. No one takes more items than the amount involved. And the seller need not be physically present.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 4:52pm On Oct 18, 2013
Biggoozz: Weep not, I will console you with this: "There is heaven, prepare for it".

The reality is that while truly the world has developed a great deal technology and other-wise, no nation on earth has retained the good old days that was made beautiful by the quality of character or morals of the people. Nigeria however I must say seems to have fared worst.

Its quite unfortunate that even the curriculum we teach in schools do not have a robust history of Nigeria's culture and heritage.It will amaze you to know that the CHAIRMAN of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Prof. Chidi Odinkalu,was charging the young ones in our society to wake up to their responsibilities and effect changes in every facet of the economy.He made the charge in a keynote address at the public presentation of the Constitution of Nigeria Translated for Young People at the muson centre yesterday (Thursday). http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/national-news/135949-human-rights-boss-tasks-youths-on-values
In one of his statements, he referred to late Bola Ige (of blessed memory) and asked if anyone could remember who Bola Ige was.The hall full of young boys and girls from primary and secondary schools across the nation went quiet.The man was almost moved to tears, so was I.So I ask, what lies ahead.A country with no history?
Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 4:54pm On Oct 18, 2013
Kponkwem:

Growing up in the 80's I recal housewives who display stuff outside for sale would indicate the price with pebbles. No one takes more items than the amount involved. And the seller need not be physically present.

At what point did we loose it?Maybe if we know, we can retrace our steps.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by juman(m): 5:21pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nigeria was better even in early 80s.

The water was running, electricity was more constant.

We thought nigeria would be better day by day. But people of IBB generation achieved only amassing wealth for themselves and destroyed the country. They only parade themselves as leaders around with only leading themselves.

No to one nigeria.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by juman(m): 5:26pm On Oct 18, 2013
EmekaAfrica:

At what point did we loose it?Maybe if we know, we can retrace our steps.

We lost it from the beginning, but instead of following leaders to correct the problem, they used our little little difference to their advantage and divide us more and destroy the country more.

To correct our problem, one nigeria is the root problem.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 5:48pm On Oct 18, 2013
juman:

We lost it from the beginning, but instead of successful leaders to correct the problem, they used our little little difference to their advantage and divide us more and destroy the country more.

To correct our problem, one nigeria is the root problem.

I beg to differ with you a bit.If Nigeria could survive the first republic breakdown, civil war debacle, june 12 1993 riots that almost brought the nation to a stand-still, I think God intended us to be together.In my own opinion,I believe it was a good mistake for us to be together as one nation irrespective of what people have said about our amalgamation and how we got our name.Haven't you done something before that you thought was a mistake and it later turned out to be in your favour. Don't worry!Be optimistic...with a little more patience, the eye will see the nose...I believe.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by juman(m): 11:21pm On Oct 18, 2013
EmekaAfrica:

I beg to differ with you a bit.If Nigeria could survive the first republic breakdown, civil war debacle, june 12 1993 riots that almost brought the nation to a stand-still, I think God intended us to be together.In my own opinion,I believe it was a good mistake for us to be together as one nation irrespective of what people have said about our amalgamation and how we got our name.Haven't you done something before that you thought was a mistake and it later turned out to be in your favour. Don't worry!Be optimistic...with a little more patience, the eye will see the nose...I believe.

You are sooo funny. grin

Be optimistic??

The country is destroyed by "leaders" that themselves are also nigerians.

There is every likelihood that this country would go in the same direction followed in the last 53 years.

One nigeria is a country that belong to nobody.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 18, 2013
EmekaAfrica: Its surprising how my dear country Nigeria has transited.I went to visit an elderly woman on independence day and she started feeding me with the Nigeria she met and I compared it with the Nigeria I met.I realised they are miles ahead.She told me in those days when you are in your finals in the university,companies would have come to start conducting interviews for students.And as you leave school,a car attached to the job is already waiting for you(with house loan inclusive).It sounded like a story to me.Please can the elderly ones in the house please share their experiences with us about the Nigeria they met

Dude, the phenomenon is all over the world. In America and Europe, you also got a well paid job straight after graduation ''in the old days''. Today, many grads out there are working as waiters, taxi drivers, and chefs. It's a global phenomenon. In the ''good old days'' in Nigeria, there were very few graduates around, so those that were, were easily absorbed into the system. But today, it's a different story.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 3:19am On Oct 19, 2013
juman:

You are sooo funny. grin

Be optimistic??

The country is destroyed by "leaders" that themselves are also nigerians.

There is every likelihood that this senseless country would go in the same direction followed in the last 53 years.

One nigeria is a country that belong to nobody.

In my own opinion(as always), I see Nigeria developing into a more prosperous country in the years to come.If you have noticed, our NIPPs are coming on stream and with the Discos and Gencos sold to private sector I expect light to show in my village house within the shortest possible time.Did you notice that we now have a robust and virile opposition party.The advantage of this is that they will always be on the toes of the ruling party and that will drive them to deliver dividends of democracy.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 3:20am On Oct 19, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Dude, the phenomenon is all over the world. In America and Europe, you also got a well paid job straight after graduation ''in the old days''. Today, many grads out there are working as waiters, taxi drivers, and chefs. It's a global phenomenon. In the ''good old days'' in Nigeria, there were very few graduates around, so those that were, were easily absorbed into the system. But today, it's a different story.

Mod,be not deceived. The tide is turning. Power is shifting hands. Nigeria will soon take its pride of place as giant of Africa going by the prediction of world bank and central bank stats.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 5:28pm On Oct 23, 2013
EmekaAfrica:

Mod,be not deceived. The tide is turning. Power is shifting hands. Nigeria will soon take its pride of place as giant of Africa going by the prediction of world bank and central bank stats.

Make una comment now.Abi una dan tire.Make una neva tire cos I must reach fp with this article oo.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by cashkidvsboko(m): 5:37pm On Oct 23, 2013
EmekaAfrica:

Make una comment now.Abi una dan tire.Make una neva tire cos I must reach fp with this article oo.
grin grin
Re: The Nigeria I Met by Ikengawo: 6:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
EmekaAfrica: Its suprising how my dear country Nigeria has transited.I went to visit an elderly woman on independence day and she started feeding me with the Nigeria she met and I compared it with the Nigeria I met.I realised they are miles ahead.She told me in those days when you are in your finals in the university,companies would have come to start conducting interviews for students.And as you leave school,a car attached to the job is already waiting for you(with house loan inclusive).It sounded like a story to me.Please can the elderly ones in the house please share their experiences with us about the Nigeria they met
did she tell you that most of the people in her generation (nearly 80-90%) were stark illiterates that couldn't speak english let alone read and write. If only 10% of Nigeria was eligible to work today im sure that 10% would get cars with the salaries meant to feed an entire nation, but you and her aren't putting things in perspective. Of her generation in your own village, how many can read or write? How many are qualified to work in a formal industry as opposed to traditional means of self support? In my own village only my grandfather and his brother were educated and this is because their father was rich. Today all of their grandchildren are literate, representing a qualification rate of 100%. Do you think anyone has enough money to give the future generation a house loan and car? 100% of them? Be real.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by bolayei: 8:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
The Nigeria i met was like the london i live in today....
Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 5:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
bolayei: The Nigeria i met was like the london i live in today....

How do you mean.Tell me more...
Re: The Nigeria I Met by owolabifunke14(f): 5:38pm On Oct 25, 2013
I met a very bad nigeria. And I blame it on our elites or better put our founding fathers.Today every old person in the society blames the youth for spoiling the country. This is my question to you and every historian here today. Which generation of youths spoiled the country? (A) 60's (B)70's (C) 80's (D) 90's (E) y2k's.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ikengawo:
did she tell you that most of the people in her generation (nearly 80-90%) were stark illiterates that couldn't speak english let alone read and write. If only 10% of Nigeria was eligible to work today im sure that 10% would get cars with the salaries meant to feed an entire nation, but you and her aren't putting things in perspective. Of her generation in your own village, how many can read or write? How many are qualified to work in a formal industry as opposed to traditional means of self support? In my own village only my grandfather and his brother were educated and this is because their father was rich. Today all of their grandchildren are literate, representing a qualification rate of 100%. Do you think anyone has enough money to give the future generation a house loan and car? 100% of them? Be real.

ok.You are bringing a new twist to this argument.Are you basing your assumption on education/literacy?The more educated we are, the poorer we become is that your postulation?
Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 6:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
owolabifunke14: I met a very bad nigeria. And I blame it on our elites or better put our founding fathers.Today every old person in the society blames the youth for spoiling the country. This is my question to you and every historian here today. Which generation of youths spoiled the country? (A) 60's (B)70's (C) 80's (D) 90's (E) y2k's.

we veered off course when the military truncated our nascent democracy.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by Ikengawo: 5:01pm On Oct 26, 2013
EmekaAfrica:

ok.You are bringing a new twist to this argument.Are you basing your assumption on education/literacy?The more educated we are, the poorer we become is that your postulation?
no i don't think they're coorelated but I know from my entire village the people of my grandfathers generation that can read and write are few, and non existent as far as women, but my dad's generations is far more literate, my own generation more literate than them (though education is losing it's appeal) and today I can't think of a person in my village that can't read and write.

we've also eradicated things like infant mortality, abject poverty, and so forth. Everyone can make an income unlike before. The issue now is people are too arrogant to work in farms and do labor so it creates the illusion of unemployment. I've also said that Nigeria's unemployed are unemployable. The country is in drought of reliable, trustworthy hard workers, so anyone that fits this description is hired immediately. Typically when someone is going to hire they will check the person's reputation if they're hiring from the village. Kids that work hard and have a good head have a good reputation and they're the ones that are trusted with work. The rest of them that complain of unemployment, everyone knows they're useless, dishonest, or criminal so nobody is going to promote them.

this isn't the case with everyone, but most of the time that's the problem. So before we start acting like the 'past was better', which it wasn't, we have to put things in perspective. Anyone that says Nigeria holistically didn't improve is not a realistic or rational thinker and shouldn't be considered in debate. There are things that got worst but most of the time they were just crushed by population and the increase in the amount of people they have to serve. I will say corruption has increase an the quality of education decreased and as is the case with most societies ethics have declined which is extremely dangerous.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by adconline(m): 5:13pm On Oct 26, 2013
This thread should read " Nigeria they met,squandered and never handed over to their offspring

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria I Met by EmekaAfrica(m): 5:29pm On Oct 28, 2013
Ikengawo:
no i don't think they're coorelated but I know from my entire village the people of my grandfathers generation that can read and write are few, and non existent as far as women, but my dad's generations is far more literate, my own generation more literate than them (though education is losing it's appeal) and today I can't think of a person in my village that can't read and write.

we've also eradicated things like infant mortality, abject poverty, and so forth. Everyone can make an income unlike before. The issue now is people are too arrogant to work in farms and do labor so it creates the illusion of unemployment. I've also said that Nigeria's unemployed are unemployable. The country is in drought of reliable, trustworthy hard workers, so anyone that fits this description is hired immediately. Typically when someone is going to hire they will check the person's reputation if they're hiring from the village. Kids that work hard and have a good head have a good reputation and they're the ones that are trusted with work. The rest of them that complain of unemployment, everyone knows they're useless, dishonest, or criminal so nobody is going to promote them.

this isn't the case with everyone, but most of the time that's the problem. So before we start acting like the 'past was better', which it wasn't, we have to put things in perspective. Anyone that says Nigeria holistically didn't improve is not a realistic or rational thinker and shouldn't be considered in debate. There are things that got worst but most of the time they were just crushed by population and the increase in the amount of people they have to serve. I will say corruption has increase an the quality of education decreased and as is the case with most societies ethics have declined which is extremely dangerous.

(The issue now is people are too arrogant to work in farms and do labor so it creates the illusion of unemployment)Have you never heard about mechanised farming?

(So before we start acting like the 'past was better', which it wasn't, we have to put things in perspective.)A past where neighbours cared about each other.Love was in the air.Power was relatively constant.Transportation was ok.medics,good.Air crashes, not in my memory?
Re: The Nigeria I Met by UyiIredia(m): 6:19pm On Oct 28, 2013
owolabifunke14: I met a very bad nigeria. And I blame it on our elites or better put our founding fathers.Today every old person in the society blames the youth for spoiling the country. This is my question to you and every historian here today. Which generation of youths spoiled the country? (A) 60's (B)70's (C) 80's (D) 90's (E) y2k's.

Definitely the 60's. Most of our corrupt leaders were born or middle-aged then.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by UyiIredia(m): 6:20pm On Oct 28, 2013
In those days one could spend the Naira in London, it was that valuable.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 28, 2013
Babangida and Obasanjo are largely responsible for our decline.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 28, 2013
Re: The Nigeria I Met by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 28, 2013
1985 before Babangida overthrew Buhari,

you could buy $1.00 for just 88 kobo

Students had free university education.

Babangida brought Nigeria to its knees between 1985 and 1993

Abacha almost revived us until Obasanjo came and put us into our present state of coma between 1999 and 2007.
Re: The Nigeria I Met by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 28, 2013

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo News: Evidence Of Obiano’s Double Registration / Osun State Elections 2014:the Games For A Throne / Nigerian's Trade Surplus Now At 20.3%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.