Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80351 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bakandow11: 11:07am On Aug 26, 2014
plz i currently leave in the uae with a 2yrs visa and wrk permit, plz what are the things you believe i should be wrking on coz i want to move from this place to usa in 2 years time.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by oddybabs(m): 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2014
Pls wat are the steps to get USA visa for a novice like me. Pls can anyone help me with the bit by bit steps on how to go about it
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 28, 2014
One of my best threads
Looks like someone just read it
Saw 24 thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by mygladness: 11:43am On Nov 29, 2014
Hello babyosisi,

I have a former colleague whose children were enrolled in school (elementary and high school) in the US when they went on holiday while he returned to the country - this happened two years ago. Now, a close cousin is contemplating the idea, now my questions goes thus;

What are the process involved in such move? what are the merits and demerits? What does the future holds for the children? what will be their status? Will they be able to have proper education to the highest level?

I will appreciate sincere response on these questions, thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 29, 2014
mygladness:
Hello babyosisi,

I have a former colleague whose children were enrolled in school (elementary and high school) in the US when they went on holiday while he returned to the country - this happened two years ago. Now, a close cousin is contemplating the idea, now my questions goes thus;

What are the process involved in such move? what are the merits and demerits? What does the future holds for the children? what will be their status? Will they be able to have proper education to the highest level?

I will appreciate sincere response on these questions, thanks

America usually will not prevent any child under 18,legal or illegal from going to school up to high school level but after 18 it gets rough without papers.most school grants or scholarships require a legal status and most private lenders ( banks ,financial institutions) will not give school loans to someone without an immigrant visa status unless someone else co signs for the loans on their behalf.
Obama has now granted a pathway for these kids to get a legal stay if they came as children and schooled here with college degrees
I believe a lawyer in the USA can explain this better.

I know the place is a little sympathetic to people who came here as children
A good lawyer can argue their case,the children are innocent,their parents are the law breakers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 3:58pm On Nov 29, 2014
babyosisi:

America usually will not prevent any child under 18,legal or illegal from going to school up to high school level but after 18 it gets rough without papers.most school grants or scholarships require a legal status and most private lenders ( banks ,financial institutions) will not give school loans to someone without an immigrant visa status unless someone else co signs for the loans on their behalf.
Obama has now granted a pathway for these kids to get a legal stay if they came as children and schooled here with college degrees

A good lawyer can argue their case,the children are innocent,their parents are the law breakers

That does not cover kids who are going now, only for those who went to US 5 yrs ago as kids.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 29, 2014
justwise:

That does not cover kids who are going now, only for those who went to US 5 yrs ago as kids.

Thanks for this

That is why I advised the person seeks legal help
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 4:10pm On Nov 29, 2014
babyosisi:

Thanks for this

That is why I advised the person seeks legal help

If it covers kids going now then the rest of the world will turn US to nursery school.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by mygladness: 8:20pm On Nov 29, 2014
Thanks for the response @
babyosisi:

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:26am On Nov 30, 2014
babyosisi:

Good response. I just need to add that people like mygladness are quite annoying and will more than likely force the US to change its laws with regard to children DELIBERATELY brought here illegally with the hope of getting amnesty some time in future. We should not encourage people to break the law.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bussyando(f): 9:46am On Nov 30, 2014
Good morning VO, I would like you to enlighten me. My father filed for me i130 under the first preference category and it's almost 2 years now. Pls I need to know the duration I have to wait before interview. Thanks alot.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Ctemi(f): 1:57pm On Nov 30, 2014
@babyosisi, if somebody is coming in to US as a student without knowing anybody or where to stay&she is not willing to stay in the school hostel how will she go about it especially the day she arrive US
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Ctemi(f): 2:09pm On Nov 30, 2014
@babyosisi, an intending student that want to study in US already gotten admission but she do not have anybody in US or where to stay and is not willingly to stay in the school hostel but she is ready to rent an apartment, the problem is where she will stay when she arrive. Your reply will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Beebee88: 9:31am On Feb 09, 2015
babyosisi:
This is an answer to the other person trying to scare folks and paint pictures of America being an impossible place full of of ghettos
Don't let Nigerians who have no plans deceive you
Ask any questions and yours truly will give you an honest answer just like it is
I have lived half my life outside of Nigeria and mostly in America and [b]a proud Nigerian too [/b]so I should know what I'm Saying
Oya fire on.
Babyosisi please I have some private queston to ask u
Email me at blessingwriteup@gmail.com
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 09, 2015
Beebee88:

Babyosisi please I have some private queston to ask u
Email me at blessingwriteup@gmail.com

Contact me on babyosisi@hotmail.com
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by damico: 10:36pm On Feb 09, 2015
@babyosisi I want to ask you Question on, If someone come to USA on B1/B2 Visa, what are the chance and can someone migrate to working or staying ,Your help is needed
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:36pm On Feb 09, 2015
damico:
@babyosisi I want to ask you Question on, If someone come to USA on B1/B2 Visa, what are the chance and can someone migrate to working or staying ,Your help is needed

Before now,You could convert to a student visa when you get a school and pay and get an 1 20 issued by the school but that was way back.i don't know if that's still possible today.
Many people did that and after studies and you get a job depending in the job they could get you a visa with a work permit ( H visa)
Generally it's not easy to convert from visitors visa to a work visa but not impossible
Fall in love genuinely and marry an American and you become a green card holder
No sham marriages please

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:47pm On Feb 09, 2015
oddybabs:
Pls wat are the steps to get USA visa for a novice like me. Pls can anyone help me with the bit by bit steps on how to go about it

Find someone to invite you and make sure the person is legal and has good income,he/ she will have to fill out an affidavit of support to show they can take care of you during your visit
You will need a copy of their American passport,something to show their income and bank statement
If they have a good job with a website where their picture is displayed,print that out
If you work,get a letter from your job saying you are employed by them and going on annual leave,you need evidence that you work there like pay slips and also your bank statement to show.
Make sure you know the state you are traveling to
If married go with pictures of you and family,wedding pictures etc that will establish that you have ties in Nigeria
Make sure you know what the host does and if you have pictures with them ,take it to the interview

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by alex406(m): 12:22am On Feb 11, 2015
Hi babyosisi, I need to send you a private message, hope it's acceptable?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 12:51am On Feb 11, 2015
alex406:
Hi babyosisi, I need to send you a private message, hope it's acceptable?

babyosisi@hotmail.com
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by johnkent(m): 4:11am On Feb 11, 2015
babyosisi:

Find someone to invite you and make sure the person is legal and has good income,he/ she will have to fill out an affidavit of support to show they can take care of you during your visit
You will need a copy of their American passport,something to show their income and bank statement
If they have a good job with a website where their picture is displayed,print that out
If you work,get a letter from your job saying you are employed by them and going on annual leave,you need evidence that you work there like pay slips and also your bank statement to show.
Make sure you know the state you are traveling to
If married go with pictures of you and family,wedding pictures etc that will establish that you have ties in Nigeria
Make sure you know what the host does and if you have pictures with them ,take it to the interview

YOU DO NOT NEED A SPONSOR AND/OR A LETTER OF INVITATION FROM ANYONE TO APPLY FOR A VISITORS VISA.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by jenns(m): 3:52pm On Feb 12, 2015
Am happy to be posting my questions after reading this thread for the 3days...
Here's my questions
Am a graduate of Physic Electronics form FUTA with a CGPA of 3.31 but I got an admission to study Physics Engineering at Undergraduate in a University at Tulsa Oklahoma, but I intend going to study Nursing because ii need to hustle and help my family at home.
Please what are my chances of pursuing a nursing degree and also, do I inform the school to transfer my course ? Or I should study nursing as a part time program.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ekpotek: 3:27pm On Feb 13, 2015
Hi,

I hear there is a National Interest Waiver Programme for People with academic and professional qualifications with 5 and above years experiences to apply for GreenCard. How true is this programme and what is the success rate. Thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by aslaaa: 7:43am On Feb 16, 2015
Hello everybody pls I need ur info. Im a young man planning to move to united state. I'm a graduate of civil engineering but presently operating a barber salon in Lagos. Pls what is chance of practising my skill in US? Pls I need ur information on how to go about salon in US
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Originalsly: 12:05pm On Feb 16, 2015
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by aariwa(m): 10:06am On Aug 15, 2015
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by samuelkingz(m): 12:00pm On Aug 16, 2015
@ babyosisi nd all....first of all i want to thank u for all ur help so far..God bless..pls i hav my first degree in mass communications...nd i wld like to do my msc in advertising nd public relations in d US...i wld like to know how lucrative is dis proffesion ova dere nd my possibility of gettin a job...or is it advisable to get a career switch dat can guarantee a good life..sb advised me to go learn programming...am not science incline although am smart nd intelligent...pls wat is ur advise for me...wld appreciate answers frm everybody too.thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by afolabibalogun: 1:30pm On Dec 19, 2015

Most people start off going to where they have a relative or close friend that will house them for a while
There are pluses and minuses for all the locations
if you could take your pick,I will advice you to go to one of the southern cities and states like Atlanta Georgia,Raleigh North Carolina ,Dallas or Houston Texas etc
The big advantage in those places is cost
They are some of the cheapest places to live in the USA
The big disadvantage in some like Houston and Dallas is lack of public transportation so your host will be saddled with driving you around.

NY,Boston,DC area and atlanta have good public transport system for the most part and you can get around and also walk to areas but those places except atlanta have higher cost of living.
A two bedroom apartment in an OK area of atlanta metro area could cost you $700 a month ,in Boston,the same apartment will be $2000.
If you hate the snow,that is another reason to go to the south.

If you had a green card and decided to migrate to the USA,I would advice you to go to a city in the south because of cost.
Most Nigerians live in the south also.

To give you an idea,we rented a condo in Cambridge Massachusetts and paid $1800-$2200 a month from mid 90's to 2002
We moved to the south and paid 600 less in mortgage for a 5 bedroom house.

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by agricentral(m): 7:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
samuelkingz:
@ babyosisi nd all....first of all i want to thank u for all ur help so far..God bless..pls i hav my first degree in mass communications...nd i wld like to do my msc in advertising nd public relations in d US...i wld like to know how lucrative is dis proffesion ova dere nd my possibility of gettin a job...or is it advisable to get a career switch dat can guarantee a good life..sb advised me to go learn programming...am not science incline although am smart nd intelligent...pls wat is ur advise for me...wld appreciate answers frm everybody too.thanks

Thank God I finished reading from A-Z.

Many thanks to the contributors of this thread.

Please I also need answer to this questions.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Olayiwola124(m): 9:57pm On Jul 23, 2016
Is it possible to convert visit visa to working visa when getting to US and with my HND in accountancy, can i get good paid job?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Olayiwola124(m): 10:02pm On Jul 23, 2016
Is it possible to convert visit visa to working visa when getting to US and with my HND in accountancy, can i get good paid job?!!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by amakachigerry: 11:10pm On Jul 23, 2016
Hello good peeps,
Please i am in a dilemma about what to do. This Port of Entry issue bothers and somehow scares me. Can one be turned back and deported if he lands in a different airport far from his school as a student visa holder. For instance, my school is in connecticut, but i want to land in Dallas to meet with my uncle before continuing my journey. Hope i wont be turned back? My orientation will commence on 24th August and i will be travelling by 17th.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Travel By Road From Lagos To Ghana? / See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.