Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80327 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by darocha1: 10:14am On Oct 21, 2013
[quote author=darocha1]i have a type of illness which makes walking difficult,let me just say i walk with crutches.Due to this i feel very frustrated and depressed cos of the way thingz just changed suddenly.
Hence i wish to relocate to US cos i fyll ppl wit such condition have better chances of survival der,i want to enta unda the auspices of visiting visa.My questions are;
1. What are my chances of survival with my condition
2. Is der an alternative way i shld take rada dan attempt the NIV m
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by nwanjilove(m): 1:15pm On Oct 21, 2013
Afam4eva:
Yes, you can enter the US with any kind of visiting and then while you're there, you apply to a school, get admitted and your visa status can be changed before your visa elapse.

People go to community colleges simply because they're cheaper but their prices vary. But i've seen 2 year colleges with a tuition of N700k.

The duration of a community college is typically 2 years and yes, you can work and school but you need permission to do so. and it's also imperative to note that there's a specific amount of working hours that you're be given as a student and you must not surpass it.

Yes, American exams test your basic IQ. They're not interesting in knowing how many books you have read. They just want to know if you have common sense to do college work.

@Afam I am really greatful for your kind and straight forward answers but you sis not answer the other one I asked if 2million might achieve this also if you were in my shoes will you proceed to do a masters in Geology since its my field or you will change to the medical field kindly answer from your vast experience and stay in the USA.

The most important thing is to put food on the table for our family and loved ones, God help us all.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
Afam4eva:
Yes, you can enter the US with any kind of visiting and then while you're there, you apply to a school, get admitted and your visa status can be changed before your visa elapse.

People go to community colleges simply because they're cheaper but their prices vary. But i've seen 2 year colleges with a tuition of N700k.

The duration of a community college is typically 2 years and yes, you can work and school but you need permission to do so. and it's also imperative to note that there's a specific amount of working hours that you're be given as a student and you must not surpass it.

Yes, American exams test your basic IQ. They're not interesting in knowing how many books you have read. They just want to know if you have common sense to do college work.

NO you CANNOT change visa Status in the US, if you enter the US on a tourist visa, and get admitted to college while here on your tourist visa, you CANNOT change your visa status here in the US, you have to go back home to change your visa status to F1 Visa.

NB: This doesn't apply to you if you are changing you visa status to a permanent resident.

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 21, 2013
Nemesis83:

NO you CANNOT change visa Status in the US, if you enter the US on a tourist visa, and get admitted to college while here on your tourist visa, you CANNOT change your visa status here in the US, you have to go back home to change your visa status to F1 Visa.

NB: This doesn't apply to you if you are changing you visa status to a permanent resident.
@Nemesis, that's not true. You can actually change your status from tourist visa to student visa there in the US. You don't have to come back to your country to do that. Please see: www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 21, 2013
codebrew85: @Nemesis, that's not true. You can actually change your status from tourist visa to student visa there in the US. You don't have to come back to your country to do that. Please see: www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Interesting info @codebrew.........I've always thought you had to go back home to change visa status to F1, had couple of friends who did this, but thanks for the info.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:42pm On Oct 21, 2013
Nemesis83:

I take this back......Apparently you can, per USCIS.gov
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
Nemesis83:

Interesting info @codebrew.........I've always thought you had to go back home to change visa status to F1, had couple of friends who did this, but thanks for the info.
you are welcome.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 21, 2013
Here in San Diego county, the average tuition for a full time Community College student (a student taking at least 12 units of course work) is around $360 for residents.
For international students, the tuition can be well above $3,000.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by moshino(m): 7:12pm On Oct 21, 2013
Nemesis83:

ONLY speak of what you know for a FACT!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 21, 2013
moshino:

ONLY speak of what you know for a FACT!

Ok Sir!!!!

Best of luck to who ever tries changing status from B-2 to F-1 visa.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Husmern(m): 2:56am On Oct 22, 2013
SSИ ძօղε!!! GC pεղძiղց,,,,preparing for DL.......ցմძ evening biց ßΛßYօʂiʂi..հօω av u bn ma?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by OluomoChampion(m): 9:32am On Oct 22, 2013
Stegomiah:

Don't think you live in America or you know about America judging from your post. Except you want to be debt ridden then you can go for every fancy, latest and extravagant things you like or come across.

Even the indigenes i mean the full blooded americans that by default have better opportunities and advantages than you have are frugal and disciplined for them to succeed, excluding those born with silver spoons, ask bill gates, mark zuckerburg, warren buffet their success stories and many more. For an average Man to make it in life you must be purposeful and have a savings, also discipline and denial matters. You don't just buy or eat all goodies your eyes deem fit if you are not very wealthy. Not even in america where you'll find attractive thingsI think the rich are more disciplined than the poor cos they spend mostly on what will make them richer. So bro, frugality is the key to success, save and save for the raining days, by doing so you helping yourself, you'll be the one to reap the benefits, your children will benefit from it. A word is enough for the wise.

Moreover, if you like go for 2014 range rover, luxury home and other exotic and luxury things, except if you are from a wealthy home or very weathy on your own, i mean annual salary above 350grand, then you'll live to tell the story, i know of a family here in Naija, the man earns over 200k monthlY, the wife not working, he has children many(over 5 in number) but he spends lavishly, clubs, cars, women, alcohol... Suddenly he got sick and died, he has nothing to show for except the house he was building for over 6years and not yet completed, i just pity the poor young children, what will they say about their father, Irresponsible is the word. He bought a car of about 8million, that can buy 3 good cars in naija, i ask my self whatl for? They have sold the car now, for the family upkeep. Life is all about choices, so its ya'choice to live whichever way you like, you'll live to tell the story, or someone will tell your story when you're gone, only which story will they talk about?
Nothing but the truth!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by numericalguy(m): 10:03am On Oct 22, 2013
manny4life:

Sorry, been busy all day moving.

I forgot to add this

That is the MOST BASIC requirement that you have to fulfill in addition to the one I posted previously. You're over 18years of age, able to read, write, speak and understand English, and since you have few years of experience, that should cover the 30 months (2.5years) practical experience. You just have to register for the three types of examination, just contact the FAA Office. I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with the materials before testing. This should help

The bold portions are very important to note, however, the aviation industry is dependent on demand (traffic), therefore, to some it pays off and to others, they remain where they at. An average mechanic earns about $20.00/hr, however, in mainline airline companies or private jets, they can pay up $25 to $40 per hr depending on your experience or more. This depends on what types of work you do, line mechanics do not make good money, but mechanics and engineers who perform stress checks are paid handsomely and with your engineering degree, you definitely have an advantage. An average of $20/hr @ 2,040 possible hrs annually = $41,000/yr. Keep in mind all this is dependent on your work permit or sponsorship. Again, like any other job, you have to work your way up, so if you think 40k - 55k is good for at least in the next few years, then salary wise, it's worth it. Btw, don't forget to add, the salaries quoted are for "EXPERIENCED" folks.

@manny4life,

Thanks so much for all the information.. It seems the take home is like twice as much as what you'll earn in Nigeria when you are just starting, but the experienced guys earns roughly the same thing.
Though my mind is still not yet made up but I want to know as much as I can, and possibly give it a try because I wouldn't want a situation where years later I would be saying to myself, 'if only I had tried'.
So, where do I start from, I don't think I would have major challenges regarding age, certificates and basic experience needed for the FAA examination. Also, does FAA have any center here in Nigeria?
Thanks so much.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by TCPonly(m): 1:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
CFCfan: Here in San Diego county, the average tuition for a full time Community College student (a student taking at least 12 units of course work) is around $360 for residents.
For international students, the tuition can be well above $3,000.

Bro,pls. can a DV visa holder be regarded as a resident to pay this fee?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by OluomoChampion(m): 4:21pm On Oct 22, 2013
ose_o: Going through all 17 pages of this thread has been quite interesting. the banter has been great, however i must say that there is some truth on both sides (nigeria vs america). I lived in the states for quite a few years and relocated back to Nigeria in 2010, people thought I was crazy for it because i just packed up my whole life and moved without a guarantee of a job or anything.

For those looking to move to the states going the F1(student visa) route, the best advice i can give you is this - "do your research" don't apply to just one school, apply to several, do not apply to a 2 year college, junior or community college because you will NOT get a visa. The embassy only issues F1 visas to students planning to attend 4-year colleges (there are a few exceptions however i doubt that you will be one). choose your school for good reasons, the strength of their academic programs, the communities they are in, the research opportunities and things like that. if you are going to study medicine apply to schools that are known for medicine, yes you may not get in or may chose another school bbut still apply because when you have your interview they WILL ask you is you applied to the best schools in whatever field you choose to study in and it looks better if you did apply even if you did not get in. also apply for scholarships, most colleges have scholarships you can apply for. if you are on financial aid the strength of your bank statement is not as important. When you go for your interview if you know your onions about why you chose the school and the course you are very likely to get your visa.

Thanks @Ose_o. Please I have just finished my nysc (HND infotech) and am planning to move to the States thru. B1/B2 visa.I want to further my academic carrier though. What advice do U have for me pls? Thanks a great deal
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 4:30pm On Oct 22, 2013
TCPonly:
Bro,pls. can a DV visa holder be regarded as a resident to pay this fee?

I think you need to be in a state at least one year to establish residency in that state and be able to pay instate tuition

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by OluomoChampion(m): 10:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
akwunomy: The only person that can tell you to or discredit the good ol US is someone who is not raised in Naija. I still believe in Naija but let tell ourselves the truth...no matter the socio-economic problem the USA is experiencing, the USA is 99 times better than Nigeria. Be sincere and google the average life expectancy of an average Nigerian. I keep hearing people i know dying in their 30s and you say that is normal. Before i arrived here, i suffered from malaria/typhoid almost every month...my body became a testing ground for all kinds of malaria drugs. I went to hospitals and different labs, still i could not control simple malarial. I have been here more than two years. Two years of malaria free life...no continuous head ache....my eyes is pure white...not yellow and some odd colors. I have dental appointed two times in year...and at least i visited the doctor two times a year for check up...i mean i have an appointment with the doctor and discuss my health needs. Do i need to talk about food or the 24/7 steady electricity...so i am a little confused whenever i came here and see all these negative comparison about American and Nigeria. The only good comparison is Nigeria and Ghana to be candid. Do you want to talk abut a government that does not value education....California State government pays for the tuition of all resident of California who are in college. The federal govt gives aid totally about 5500 dollars to encourage students. Do you wanna talk about equipment in the school for learning...you have free computer to do your work and research and free internet service. They school pays a tutor to help you on any subject you don't understand. So America is still good and if any of you have the opportunity to come over here...the sky will surely be your limit if you work hard and open your eyes for opportunities.
Though am coming on a B2 visa but I have my mind made up to come inspite of all the discouragement from every corner that I will be stucked. I have. Just finished my nysc (hnd infotech) and am coming to further my education. U have just helped a soul bros. Pls I will look forward to your advice on what to do in order to make a headway. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by OjaP: 7:17am On Oct 23, 2013
davidylan:

my sister, as i dey look am e be like say that road don close oh. Na only oyinbo full this side. anyway, God talk say all of us na the same. grin

Where are your relatives? I cant see them oh. No naija for this side.

David

Good to see you here again. I remember you from the USA Student Visa Thread, I can't forget your words of advice and your congratulatory message to me when I got my Visa few years ago. I am happy you are doing good and living the America dream. Wish you all the best always bro.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Izyy: 9:13am On Oct 23, 2013
@babyosisi et al,i commend your efforts in educating intending immigrants on the nitty-gritty of the State.be that as it may,i will be coming to the State of Missouri on dv next month,apart from getting ssn,opening a bank acc,what are your candid advice for a neophyte who has a Bsc. In industrial Chemistry and has this keen interest in the medical and engineering field.it will also interest me to know how that friend of yours became a substitute teacher in a high school,i wont mind that for a start since i have 9yrs of teaching unconvenctionally.Every response will be warmly welcomed.thanks in anticipation for a prompt reply.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by OluomoChampion(m): 10:25am On Oct 23, 2013
codebrew85: @Nemesis, that's not true. You can actually change your status from tourist visa to student visa there in the US. You don't have to come back to your country to do that. Please see: www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD
Thanks @codebrew85, that's what am planning to do cos am on B2 2yrs double entry. I really appreciate ur info here, pls I want to know if its possible 4 my finacee to join me on d same B2 tourist visa in a short while cos we are working on her own too? And what is our chances of securing residency? Thanks for ur anticipated prompt response!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by OluomoChampion(m): 10:30am On Oct 23, 2013
Nemesis83:

@Nemesis83, pls u don't think in a case like this but pass informatn with proof so that u don't misinform others. Thanks alot
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 23, 2013
OluomoChampion:
@Nemesis83, pls u don't think in a case like this but pass informatn with proof so that u don't misinform others. Thanks alot

Dude, whoever comes on here and takes my word to the bank, does it at his/her own peril...... its your freaking job to go research about stuffs like this........ Its you who dream of coming here to live the American dream......if you cant take time and get information from the appropriate source, that is your funeral!!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Tochium: 4:02pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nemesis83:

Dude, whoever comes on here and takes my word to the bank, does it at his/her own peril...... its your freaking job to go research about stuffs like this........ Its you who dream of coming here to live the American dream......if you cant take time and get information from the appropriate source, that is your funeral!!

Coming on here to ask questions is part of the research and information sourcing. Simply shut up on what u do not know.

What we share here is brotherly love, so do not misinform people.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 23, 2013
Tochium:

Coming on here to ask questions is part of the research and information sourcing. Simply shut up on what u do not know.

What we share here is brotherly love, so do not misinform people.

Who the heck is this scumbag? Are you blind or just plain stup!d? did you not read this
Nemesis83:

I take this back......Apparently you can, per USCIS.gov
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Tochium: 5:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nemesis83:

Who the heck is this scumbag? Are you blind are just plain stup!d? did you not read this

I see you are mannerless. Babyosisi is time u ban this guys
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 23, 2013
OluomoChampion:
Thanks @codebrew85, that's what am planning to do cos am on B2 2yrs double entry. I really appreciate ur info here, pls I want to know if its possible 4 my finacee to join me on d same B2 tourist visa in a short while cos we are working on her own too? And what is our chances of securing residency? Thanks for ur anticipated prompt response!
your chances of securing residency is either you are on a H1-B visa where your employer would file for permanent residency for you or if you are married to a citizen.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by OluomoChampion(m): 10:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nemesis83:

Who the heck is this scumbag? Are you blind are just plain stup!d? did you not read this

Are u frustrated? Why can't u just accept ur mistake and then shut up ur stinking mouth if u ar too swollen to be corrected. Afterall u ar not updated. As ur name implies, nemesis will soon catch up with u.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by OluomoChampion(m): 10:17pm On Oct 23, 2013
codebrew85: your chances of securing residency is either you are on a H1-B visa where your employer would file for permanent residency for you or if you are married to a citizen.
Thanks a whole lot, pls I want my fiancee to join me there thru B2 and I want to know if its possible for us to get married there. And how can we go about it? Thanks so much for ur sense making info.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 23, 2013
OluomoChampion:
Are u frustrated? Why can't u just accept ur mistake and then shut up ur stinking mouth if u ar too swollen to be corrected. Afterall u ar not updated. As ur name implies, nemesis will soon catch up with u.

Another loser joins the pack......seriously who gave this demented a$$wipe a visa? i made a comment, realized i was wrong, took my comment back and you frustrated scumbags cant understand when a statement is withdrawn!!!!

This !diot luckily got a B-2 visa and asking about some fiancee and residency, pray you can even get a Drivers license or rent an apartment when you get here,your delusions will turn to reality soon.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by OluomoChampion(m): 11:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nemesis83:

Another loser joins the pack......seriously who gave this demented a$$wipe a visa? i made a comment, realized i was wrong, took my comment back and you frustrated scumbags cant understand when a statement is withdrawn!!!!

This !diot luckily got a B-2 visa and asking about some fiancee and residency, pray you can even get a Drivers license or rent an apartment when you get here,your delusions will turn to reality soon.
I didn't quickly realise how foolish and dull you are not until now, smelling brain!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by OluomoChampion(m): 11:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nemesis83:

I didn't quickly realise how foolish and dull you are not until now, smelling brain!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 1:14am On Oct 24, 2013
Izyy: @babyosisi et al,i commend your efforts in educating intending immigrants on the nitty-gritty of the State.be that as it may,i will be coming to the State of Missouri on dv next month,apart from getting ssn,opening a bank acc,what are your candid advice for a neophyte who has a Bsc. In industrial Chemistry and has this keen interest in the medical and engineering field.it will also interest me to know how that friend of yours became a substitute teacher in a high school,i wont mind that for a start since i have 9yrs of teaching unconvenctionally.Every response will be warmly welcomed.thanks in anticipation for a prompt reply.

Go to the local school district and perhaps the surrounding ones too, armed with a good resume and tell them you want to apply to be a substitute.
Some may want your transcript evaluated
Check online,some of those school districts could have online applications
If they accept,they put you in the poll and call on you when needed
It is not a regular job,it is on a per diem basis when a teacher is sick or out etc
It's a good way to start building references here.
I know a few Nigerians that started that way.
Industrial chemistry is a good field
You can go the route you described or if you are into academics ,you go up to a PHD with that or biochem or molecular biology or biotech engineering and go into research either with biotech companies or academic institutions.
That is another big thing here.
Academicians may not make millions but they earn a decent living.
If you are into research,it takes a while to rise ,you have to work under mentors for a while but if you are gifted in that line ,with perseverance you will do well.
NIH and similar bodies give a lot of grants to people in cutting edge research

I wish you a smooth transition to your new life in the USA when you arrive

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (Reply)

See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria / 2 people Die As Helicopter Crashes Into Building in Opebi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.