Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,174 members, 7,957,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:54 AM

Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? (14751 Views)

Is Glo Blackberry Subscription On Android Sin Before God. Pls Read This. / Is Oral Sexx a Sin Before God? / Did God Know That Adam And Eve Would Sin Before Creating Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 20, 2013
To me it's not a sin because churches cast and bind their enemies and command them to die
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by BodyKiss(m): 1:49pm On Oct 20, 2013
Why all these s.t.upid "Is it" questions every Sunday? Best way to know is allow yourself be killed, then your ghost can ask God afterwards.

1 Like

Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 20, 2013
I dont know of ur BIBLE.. But mine says in exodus 20v13.. THOU SHALL NOT KILL... Period!
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 20, 2013
Remember that God gave this commandment in the old testament, and also in that same old testament, he commanded that Saul should kill the Amalekites (1Sam 15:3 ) among others. Is that not murder. But what I think and advice is that if we have a means of defending ourselves without bloodshed, that should be the option we go for
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 20, 2013
GOD IS GOD AND ABOVE ALL LAWS guiding humanity, so all of you that are saying God disobeyed his own law by killing is wrong. THAT LAW WAS FOR US HUMANS
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Wallace2107: 2:18pm On Oct 20, 2013
Shobayo Emma: Dear Nls, pls i will like to know if killing in self denfence and other related killings like in the line of duties as regards to war amount to sin before God. waiting for your valuable views.
bro,its not a sin in situations of war. Even in d bible,there are armies of The Lord.im not in depth wit reading of d bible,so I could b wrong tho. In modern warfare,there's a new wave called maneuverist approach.it preaches n teaches less attrition in war.u can now fight a war without firing a shot.its adopted in many parts of d world,including nigeria,but its not so much in practice.ur question makes a lot of sence n I'm looking forward to d day it will b universally accepted and adopted that warfare should not b bloody smiley
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by tintingz(m): 2:19pm On Oct 20, 2013
rachelfred: I dont know of ur BIBLE.. But mine says in exodus 20v13.. THOU SHALL NOT KILL... Period!
Thou shall not kill what? Goats, rat, lions, humans...?

There are countless of killings in the bible on self-defense under Jehovah command.

Like most peep ask, was David a sinner when he killed goliath?

1 Like

Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Reference(m): 2:48pm On Oct 20, 2013
Killing in the kingdom of God is forbidden. It is a sin. Thou shall not kill. But who says the earth is the kingdom of God. It is not because God is not in charge here. Here on earth you have a mish-mash of His children and the children of perdition so killing must go on till the end when everyone will be dead. God has sworn not to make anyone do anything against his will so if we like killing He will not stop us. He will only impress on us to change. But in His kingdom killing is prohibited.
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by tintingz(m): 3:03pm On Oct 20, 2013
Vilicious: GOD IS GOD AND ABOVE ALL LAWS guiding humanity, so all of you that are saying God disobeyed his own law by killing is wrong. THAT LAW WAS FOR US HUMANS
Lol, but the same human killed for God in the bible. grin
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by nwaobitex: 3:11pm On Oct 20, 2013
killing in self defending is nt an excuse! what u hv to do is escape 4rm what is after u
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Reference(m): 3:14pm On Oct 20, 2013
The same question can be asked. Is God interested in your world cups and premierleague, in your Nigeria's Got Talent, Hollywood, parties, weddings, funerals, etc. The answer is simple. NO. He is interested in you not your professions or your activities including your offensive or defensive killings.

Where the line becomes blurred is that does He authorize, participate, enable, etc. The answer is yes. God is more than capable of killing. The fact that I buy a toy for my baby and play with him with it does not make me interested in play or toy. My interest is baby welfare, safety, happiness and growth.

God is not interested in killing. He does not rejoice in the destruction of His creation but for the above reasons sometimes He plays with toys.
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by mfm04622: 3:14pm On Oct 20, 2013
9jadelta: what does it look like I'm saying?

does it sound like I was speaking for Christians?

Christian god did almost all the killings in bible by himself.
mujahedeen did almost all the killing in quoran.
what does that tell u?
both gods love drinking blood. the difference is, the former gets the job all by himself, while the later is lazy and needs people to do the job for him.

I don't even know if this argument is necessary.
Christian God says, thou shall not kill, he didn't give any reason why his followers should kill. he do the killing all by himself

Muslim god says, thou shall not kill, but u can kill when someone oppresses, or tries to kill u, or during jihad and u confirmed it urself. so, what is d point of this argument? are u ashamed ur Allah gave reasons for killing ?
Don't make blanket statements. If you claim Islam command or support killing, prove it with quotes from Quran or Hadiths. Or else keep quiet. Islam teaches us to respect other religions, that is why Muslims don't point out the satanic verses in the Bible.

1 Like

Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Dannylux: 3:19pm On Oct 20, 2013
Think about the Israelites!!
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by mfm04622: 3:19pm On Oct 20, 2013
waldigit :

I can see double standard here each time you people see something to support your view in the bible you suddenly become bible believer, but if what is being referred from the same bible do not favour you, you immediately turn around to say the account is falsified.
The logic is this if you believe what you have quoted is true, then you must adopt every other part of the bible including the ones that says Jesus is the son of God hence also God. You must accept Him as your Lord and personal saviour to be saved. Anything short of this is double standard insincerity. Shalom.
Even the Bible itself acknowledged the fact that it was falsified by the scribes. When we come across anything that support our beliefs we can't deny it but when we see anything that contradict, we know where it comes from. (Not God)

1 Like

Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Bee4real: 3:22pm On Oct 20, 2013
I love dis
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by mfm04622: 3:23pm On Oct 20, 2013
Opiosko: Jesus said to Peter, "put your sword back...." #Iambornagain#
WAO!! Did you jumped where Jesus asked them to buy the swords? Even asked them to sell their clothes to buy the swords if need be?

1 Like

Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by mfm04622: 3:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
50calibre: No it's not a sin, if one kills in self defence.

The biblical Israelites were known for their various conquests on the battle field, the philistines, the amalekites, etc.
Most of these wars were startwd by the Israelites in the first place.
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by toprealman: 3:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
Funny question. So what do you think about military personal trained to kill or professional executioners. Are they committing sin?
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 20, 2013
Killing in self defence is a sin. The bible says love your enemies. When Jesus Christ was being crucified, he had the power to defend himself and destroy the people who crucified him but what did he do? He left them to do what they did and he even asked God to forgive his killers.
The bible doesn't teach us to revenge, killing someone in self defence is a form of revenge and you'll be hell bound, if you get killed innocently and obviously you confess your sins in the process and forgive your killers, you are heaven bound. Bear in mind, this earth is only temporal. Would you rather risk not going to heaven just because you wanna spend a few more years on earth?
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by ShobayoEmma(m): 4:09pm On Oct 20, 2013
toprealman: Funny question. So what do you think about military personal trained to kill or professional executioners. Are they committing sin?
. With due respect sir, if i knw i would not have asked. Wil u now answer me sir
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by willyray(m): 4:14pm On Oct 20, 2013
all killings is a sin at least in my eyes
[img]http:///ogPF/.jpg[/img][img]http:///ogPN/.jpg[/img]
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by tintingz(m): 4:23pm On Oct 20, 2013
buffenuff: Killing in self defence is a sin. The bible says love your enemies. When Jesus Christ was being crucified, he had the power to defend himself and destroy the people who crucified him but what did he do? He left them to do what they did and he even asked God to forgive his killers.
The bible doesn't teach us to revenge, killing someone in self defence is a form of revenge and you'll be hell bound, if you get killed innocently and obviously you confess your sins in the process and forgive your killers, you are heaven bound. Bear in mind, this earth is only temporal. Would you rather risk not going to heaven just because you wanna spend a few more years on earth?
Will you let someone kill you?

I thought Jesus sacrifice himself for christians sin, why should he defend himself again from being killed, your post is not making any sense.

This not revenge, revenge is when you go back to attack someone that offended you...this is self-defense when you are trying to save your own life from your enemy, there is different between revenge and self-defense.

1 Like

Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by geozone: 4:41pm On Oct 20, 2013
My life is a gift from God to me> and i will do anything to preserve this Gift and ensure its not snatched from me.
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 20, 2013
tintingz: Will you let someone kill you?

I thought Jesus sacrifice himself for christians sin, why should he defend himself again from being killed, your post is not making any sense.

This not revenge, revenge is when you go back to attack someone that offended/transgress you...this is self-defense when you are trying to save your own life from your enemy, there is different between revenge and self-defense.

The sacrifice Jesus made was not fighting back, literally turning the other cheek when he was slapped. I don't know if I will let someone kill me because I haven't been in that situation but I wanna make heaven and if it means me being killed will guarantee me a seat at the feet of my heaveny father, my bro, I will give u a loaded gun to do the job
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by lolaxavier(m): 4:59pm On Oct 20, 2013
Mumu question...mumu answers...na wa oooo
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by ojobekehinde: 5:11pm On Oct 20, 2013
christian can nt kill bt they can hire smbody(security personnels) dt can kill,maim and destroy on dier behave.what a nonsense.killing in self defence is nt a sin,so let me hear word joor cos am tired of all dis rubbish quote.
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by ultraGM: 5:24pm On Oct 20, 2013
Shobayo Emma: Dear Nls, pls i will like to know if killing in self denfence and other related killings like in the line of duties as regards to war amount to sin before God. waiting for your valuable views.

Before talking about Self Defense, what brought you into that Situation that warrant you defending your life;
1. If it is a fight you have already sin before defending life
2. If it is dept that leads to life threatens, The Bible say "Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him..."Matt 5:25
3. If it is persecution Christianity did not give option to fight back - Self Defense remains your own opinion
4. If it is Robbery, 2 above apply
5. If it is War, you are performing Civil obligation and not God's Course, Hence God's word remain the same "Thou shalt do no murder"

IMOO: If you Kill in the course of Self Defense[AWA intentionally] and get caught, Gov't will arrest you and charge you for murder, until you prove your innocence, if you can't, Death Sentence is on the way.
But with God; If you Kill in the course of Self Defense[or intentionally], God can still forgive, and door of restitution is still open while you are alive.

Answering your Question:Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? YES is a Sin Because
"For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven." Ps 119:89
"For I am the LORD, I change not..." Malachi 3:6

Peace Be unto you all
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Lakayanah: 5:30pm On Oct 20, 2013
Shobayo Emma: but d sole command is: thou shall not kill without given any exceptional cases.
But you don't mind when soldiers go to sacrifice their lives for your country. When they children of Israel went conquering the lands around them did they sweet talk the people to leave the only place they know as home?
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by Suljosh: 5:39pm On Oct 20, 2013
tintingz: So what are we saying?

Lol, you should cover yourself with shame, when do atheist start speaking for christians? Isn't not the same god in the bible that said "thou shall not kill" or "turn the other cheek" was the one invading nations killing women and children? Or you forgot the word "an eye for an eye" you said it yourself you will defend yourself aren't you contradicting your statement as an atheist?

In Islam Allah command muslims not to kill unjustly.

Do not take life, which Allah has made sacred, except through justice and the law. He orders this so that you may acquire wisdom" (Quran 6:151)

Muslims don't have to go about killing innocent people it is a big sin, muslim fighting war must be under a leader or government of a state so the terrorist claiming they are fighting for islam are very wrong.

Again Quran said

if anyone slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew all mankind: and if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all humanity. Qur'an 5:32)

It is funny seeing atheist speaking for christians this is really a joke seriously. grin grin
That was before the coming of JESUS CHRIST!
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by ire4me: 5:42pm On Oct 20, 2013
What type of Christian are we having on nairaland? Killing in defense is evil, every killing is evil. Jesus is our standard. He ordered Peter to return his sword and acclaimed that whoever kill by sword will be judged by sword. Remember he replaced the cut-off ear. Did any of the apostles defended themselves in times of persecution? The Lord will defend you if your time has not com. Remember our God is not god of Islam that can not fight for himself.
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by babakb: 5:52pm On Oct 20, 2013
ask pope urban II or pope innocent III among others, they led major crusades against Muslims centuries ago.
Re: Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? by gothrones(m): 5:56pm On Oct 20, 2013
I find it interesting how CHRISTians quote the old testament when they want to support some of their archaic views. CHRISTians know that the hardest thing to do is follow the words of Christ. He unequivocally said that we should love our enemies and turn the other cheek. Even when he had the opportunity to defend himself against his persecutors, he chose not to and commanded Peter to sheath his sword.

Following the words of Christ is the hardest feat any human can hope to achieve. So many of his commandments go against our human nature. If someone is trying to take your life, the last thing you would remember is some passage in the Bible; instead, you would react instinctively and defend yourself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Timely Marriage is GOD's Original Plan For Mankind / 61st RCCG Annual Convention Theme: Jesus / Matthew Ashimolowo: Take COVID-19 Vaccine, Don’t Join Conspiracy Theorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.