Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,769 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? (1357 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by stevewale(m): 8:43am On Oct 06, 2013
Happy Sunday @ y'all

Pls its often observed that all churches preach that tithe MUST be 10% of one's income as stated in the bible. If someone decides that he/she would be sacrificing some certain amount of his/her income as tithe every month (thou not upto the 10% - i.e 5k out of 80k monthly salary), it is tagged to be disobedience; but if someone decides to be paying 20% of his/her income (I.e 16k out of 80k monthly salary) its not seen as disobedience? Pls what's your take on this; is the two not disobedience?
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by Enigma(m): 8:53am On Oct 06, 2013
Please consider carefully: which one of the following three people is in disobedience or sinning? wink

1. Mr A earns 1000 a month; unfailingly he gives 100 a month as "tithe" in/to "church"; he gives 50 a month as offering; he then gives up to 20 to other needy causes outside "church".

2. Mr B earns 1000 a month; he gives anything up to 90 in/to church every month, he then gives 110 to other needy causes outside the "church".

3. Mrs C is a seller of "provisions"; any time that she is going to buy stock, she buys 10% extra (e.g. instead of buying 100 cans of milk, she buys 110); she regularly takes the extra 10% to her local orphanage; she then gives about 5% of her net profits in/to "church".

smiley
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by Candour(m): 8:57am On Oct 06, 2013
stevewale: Happy Sunday @ y'all

Pls its often observed that all churches preach that tithe MUST be 10% of one's income as stated in the bible. If someone decides that he/she would be sacrificing some certain amount of his/her income as tithe every month (thou not upto the 10% - i.e 5k out of 80k monthly salary), it is tagged to be disobedience; but if someone decides to be paying 20% of his/her income (I.e 16k out of 80k monthly salary) its not seen as disobedience? Pls what's your take on this; is the two not disobedience?

Of course It's a clear sin in the eyes of the Mosaic law of tithing.

Tithe is the tenth of farm and animal produce. No more No less.
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by Chaleeee: 9:06am On Oct 06, 2013
Farm produce. Not salary.
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 06, 2013
Tithes was never paid in money, its not God's intention to use money as tithe. Read your bible very well, even when jesus talked about it in new testament, he said 'u pay tithe of RUE and MINT' these things are plants and not money! God said his standard will not change forever, only God himself knows why pastors turn farm produce to money. Happy sunday
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by stevewale(m): 9:30am On Oct 06, 2013
OlamiB: Tithes was never paid in money, its not God's intention to use money as tithe. Read your bible very well, even when jesus talked about it in new testament, he said 'u pay tithe of RUE and MINT' these things are plants and not money! God said his standard will not change forever, only God himself knows why pastors turn farm produce to money. Happy sunday

BUT we are all not into farming, how do we salary earners pay tithe then?

@Enigma, I'm refering to paying the entire 20% into the tithe envelope instead of the required 10% and church doesn't see that as disobedience or a sin
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by Enigma(m): 9:42am On Oct 06, 2013
stevewale: BUT we are all not into farming, how do we salary earners pay tithe then?

There is NO obligation on a Christian to pay "tithe".

stevewale: @Enigma, I'm refering to paying the entire 20% into the tithe envelope instead of the required 10% and church doesn't see that as disobedience or a sin

I know! And I am asking you deliberately to consider whether any of the people in my first post is in disobedience or sinning. In fact, I give you one more example as follows.

Mr. D earns 1000 per month. Every month he gives 50 in/to "church"; he then gives 150 to two local orphanages (75 each). Is Mr D sinning or in disobedience?

smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by skyscraperTM(m): 10:01am On Oct 06, 2013
that`s not even the case, tithe is supposed to be paid duely in the end of every month cause that`s when people receive their salaries. but in churches, you`re meant to say tithe every sundays and sometimes every worship days.
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by stevewale(m): 10:06am On Oct 06, 2013
Enigma:

There is NO obligation on a Christian to pay "tithe".

I know! And I am asking you deliberately to consider whether any of the people in my first post is in disobedience or sinning.

smiley

Thanks my bro... I understand you better now... But pls can anyone butress Enigma's claim above that: NO obligations on Christains to pay tithe
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by Zikkyy(m): 12:24pm On Oct 06, 2013
Pls its often observed that all churches preach that tithe MUST be 10% of one's income as stated in the bible.

You are in this situation because you don't read the bible. Where is it stated in the bible that tithe must be 10% of your income. If your pastor says it is there, tell to show you. Don't just everything the pastor tells you, check the bible to confirm.

If someone decides that he/she would be sacrificing some certain amount of his/her income as tithe every month (thou not upto the 10% - i.e 5k out of 80k monthly salary), it is tagged to be disobedience; but if someone decides to be paying 20% of his/her income (I.e 16k out of 80k monthly salary) its not seen as disobedience? Pls what's your take on this; is the two not disobedience?

God did not say you should tithe, and he did not say you should tithe less than 10%; this tithe thing is pastoral instruction. it is the pastor that says anything less than 10% is not tithe but 100% is very acceptable. If disobedience to pastor is a sin, i guess it's a sin to pay less than 10%.
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by Zikkyy(m): 12:31pm On Oct 06, 2013
Enigma: Please consider carefully: which one of the following three people is in disobedience or sinning? wink

1. Mr A earns 1000 a month; unfailingly he gives 100 a month as "tithe" in/to "church"; he gives 50 a month as offering; he then gives up to 20 to other needy causes outside "church".

2. Mr B earns 1000 a month; he gives anything up to 90 in/to church every month, he then gives 110 to other needy causes outside the "church".

3. Mrs C is a seller of "provisions"; any time that she is going to buy stock, she buys 10% extra (e.g. instead of buying 100 cans of milk, she buys 110); she regularly takes the extra 10% to her local orphanage; she then gives about 5% of her net profits in/to "church".

smiley

Please be clear. is it sin against God or sin against pastor?

If it's sin against pastor, #2 & 3 sinned cos church remittance is less than the amount specified by pastor.
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by stevewale(m): 4:00pm On Oct 08, 2013
Zikkyy:

Please be clear. is it sin against God or sin against pastor?

If it's sin against pastor, #2 & 3 sinned cos church remittance is less than the amount specified by pastor.

But tithe is stated in the bible na ... So it cant be a sin against the Pastor. My area of confusion is if its above the stated 10% why is it not seen as a disobedience?
Re: Why Is It A Sin To Pay Tithe Less Than 10% But Not A Sin To Pay Above That? by Zikkyy(m): 4:11pm On Oct 08, 2013
stevewale:
But tithe is stated in the bible na ... So it cant be a sin against the Pastor. My area of confusion is if its above the stated 10% why is it not seen as a disobedience?

tithe is stated in the bible just as burnt offering and human sacrifice are stated in the bible. Because it is stated in the bible does not imply you should adhere to it. Before you consider it a sin, you ask if it is something required of a Christian. Since you refuse to study the bible, ask your pastor to show where it is stated that you must pay him 10% of your salary (on a monthly basis).

(1) (Reply)

The Hidden Truth About Christianity / Happy Ramadan To All Muslim On Nairalanders / Romans Threw True Christianity To The Lions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.