Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,353 members, 7,819,255 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? (1433 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? / Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by lanightdavido(m): 11:31am On Oct 06, 2013
A friend of mine who have been searching for job for a long time eventually found one in the nigeria brewery located at ibadan,but he insisted that he is going to turn the offer down because brewery is a sinner doom.....he said beer production is an evil act and he is not going to be a partaker in any evil....I was very amazed at this reaction because it has been long he is jobless

1 Like

Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by Lilknight(m): 12:07pm On Oct 06, 2013
Mehn to my own view....i go say the guy never suffer well o, and in type no dey quick mk am 4 naija, persn wey jobless wey deyy find white collar job...e go teh o
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by Sepp360(m): 2:16pm On Oct 06, 2013
don't blame him!... Thats one of the effects of chronic poverty!... It changes your usual way of reasoning!...
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by yetseyi(f): 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2013
Sepp360: don't blame him!... Thats one of the effects of chronic poverty!... It changes your usual way of reasoning!...

actually, poverty has nothing to do with this.

@ OP every body is entitled to his or her own opinion but as a christain the question I ask myself is can I promote a product that I cant take or use personally, Can I represent a brand I dont believe in. For example If I believe taking cocoa drinks is a sin and of the devil why should I work in a company producing one, the same is applied to alcohol producing organisations / breweries. If I dont sanction what they produce why must I put in my physical and mental efforts to the success of that organization that produces the product.
About 2 or 3 of this organizations are presently recruiting and I know people that even though are qualified to apply, they never bothered applying, WHY? Because of the products. Infact a friend told me that she had to look at their products and decided not to apply.

Another friend of mine just changed jobs and now works @ a firm that promotes products for companies. She actually said she had actually started the job before she knew that a brewery was among their client.
There are people that will never wear a branded T shirt of these products, There are people that will never use any of their branded souvenirs be it A Pen, Bag whatever because they believe they are advertising the products to people indirectly.
My friends may be termed as extreme Christians by some people

But as for me I don't believe in taking alcohol and I believe working in a company that produces it makes me a hypocrite ( Putting efforts to the success of a product that would be consumed by people when I myself believe its a sin take that product)

Another example I would give is recently I had to bake cakes @ home just for d family about twice within 3 weeks and I bought this small sachet gin as preservative since I couldn't get the normal powdered cake preservative. I felt guilty because I felt I had an alternative and I also didn't feel guilty because I felt like its for preservation. After the 2 incidents I had to ask if I can just use d powdered preservative alone ( I m just learning the cake thing) and I was told yes. And I'm hoping to use the preservative alone from now on. Now is using brandy or wine or any alcoholic stuff as a preservative in cake a sin? I don't have a definite answer for that yet.

@OP your friend is not the only one like that.
But as for me I don't think I will work in an alcohol producing organization either directly or indirectly sad
Its not easy to be a christian sad
God help us all

3 Likes

Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 06, 2013
lanightdavido: A friend of mine who have been searching for job for a long time eventually found one in the nigeria brewery located at ibadan,but he insisted that he is going to turn the offer down because brewery is a sinner doom.....he said beer production is an evil act and he is not going to be a partaker in any evil....I was very amazed at this reaction because it has been long he is jobless

The simple question here should be: Why on Earth did he apply knowing fully well that he is going to turn down the offer? He didn't only apply, he prepared and went for God knows how many aptitude tests and interviews, prayed to God that he gets the job etc and now that he has been offered the job, he finally came to terms with the fact that he won't accept it because he believes it is sinful?

This is really sad. Why didn't he just stay at home and not apply instead of blocking the slot of some body else? Anyways, your friend should realise that Sacred scriptures is not against taken alcohol but getting drunk. What he wants to do is similar to saying that since gluttony is a sin then working in a food manufacturing company is sinful.

3 Likes

Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 06, 2013
striktlymi:

The simple question here should be: Why on Earth did he apply knowing fully well that he is going to turn down the offer? He didn't only apply, he prepared and went for God knows how many aptitude tests and interviews, prayed to God that he gets the job etc and now that he has been offered the job, he finally came to terms with the fact that he won't accept it because he believes it is sinful?

This is really sad. Why didn't he just stay at home and not apply instead of blocking the slot of some body else? Anyways, your friend should realise that Sacred scriptures is not against taken alcohol but getting drunk. What he wants to do is similar to saying that since gluttony is a sin then working in a food manufacturing company is sinful.
1000likes
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by lanightdavido(m): 4:11pm On Oct 06, 2013
striktlymi:

you really talk sense...you must be a lawyer
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by Kabieosi: 4:17pm On Oct 06, 2013
lanightdavido:

A friend of mine who have been searching for job for a long time eventually found one in the nigeria brewery located at ibadan,

but he insisted that he is going to turn the offer down because brewery is a sinner doom.....

he said beer production is an evil act and he is not going to be a partaker in any evil....

I was very amazed at this reaction because it has been long he is jobless

Brewing beer is not a sin, it is the abnormal use or abuse of drinking beer that constitutes sin

Your friend got the position through God for a reason and/or purpose

and now he turned the offer and opportunity down

Mind you, God will not judge one, on what one has done (i.e. we wont be giving account of what we have done)

but one will be judged, on what one did not do as purposed by God (i.e. we will be giving account on what we did not do or left out doing as purposed by God and trying to explain why)
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by Rhymeyjohn: 4:26pm On Oct 06, 2013
I believe its wrong, ask yourself these: What would Jesus do? Do you really think Jesus, your Lord and saviour would work in a brewery? The bible say "lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sin: keep yourself pure 1tim5:22. It also says in another place, "abstain from all appearance of evil. (not the evil itself, but an appearance) . Heaven is worth more than any job, never loose your soul eternally for daily bread. God's child can never die of hunger. God bless us all.
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by yetseyi(f): 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2013
Kabieosi:

Brewing beer is not a sin, it is the abnormal use or abuse of drinking beer that constitutes sin

Mind you, God will not judge one, on what one has done (i.e. we wont be giving account of what we have done)

but one will be judged, on what one did not do as purposed by God (i.e. we will be giving account on what we did not do or left out doing as purposed by God and trying to explain why)

I know this is off topic but the bolded statement hmmm , maybe you would like to explain why we wont be judged based on what we ve done wink
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by yetseyi(f): 4:32pm On Oct 06, 2013
Rhymeyjohn: I believe its wrong, ask yourself these: What would Jesus do? Do you really think Jesus, your Lord and saviour would work in a brewery? The bible say "lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sin: keep yourself pure 1tim5:22. It also says in another place, "abstain from all appearance of evil. (not the evil itself, but an appearance) . Heaven is worth more than any job, never loose your soul eternally for daily bread. God's child can never die of hunger. God bless us all.
grin
Thank God I am not the only one thinking its wrong
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by Rhymeyjohn: 4:52pm On Oct 06, 2013
Kabieosi:

what do you mean by abnormal use? Beer is used and drinking, and biblically, it is wrong/ a sin. it is not for kings, o Lemuel, it is not for kings to drinks wine; nor for princes to drink strong drink [b/] prov31:4. A born again christian is a [b] king before God rev5:10, and should not use alcohol.
Prov 31:6
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy heart
KJV. A perishing person cannot be a christian, Jh3:16 For God so love the world,............ that whoever believes in Him, should not perish but have eternal life. God bless us all
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by Kabieosi: 4:59pm On Oct 06, 2013
yetseyi:

I know this is off topic but the bolded statement hmmm,

maybe you would like to explain why we wont be judged based on what we ve done wink

@yetseyi

We won't get brownie points for things we do/did on impulse etc etc

examples like going to Kontongora when asked to go next door.

Remember the judgement and death of Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu

1And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon,
and offered strange fire before the Lord, which he commanded them not
2And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord.

@^Leviticus 10:1-2 King James Version (KJV)

Also remember Uzzah thinking he was helping out, died for touching the Ark of the Covenant (i.e. he was meant not to touch the ark regardless what)

6And when they came to Nachon's threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook it.
7And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God
8And David was displeased, because the LORD had made a breach upon Uzzah: and he called the name of the place Perezuzzah to this day.
9And David was afraid of the LORD that day, and said, How shall the ark of the LORD come to me?

@^1 Chronicles 13:6-9 King James Version (KJV)
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by lanightdavido(m): 5:18pm On Oct 06, 2013
Kabieosi:

@yetseyi

We won't get brownie points for things we do/did on impulse etc etc

1And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon,
2And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord.

Also remember Uzzah thinking he was helping out, died for touching the Ark of the Covenant (i.e. he was meant not to touch the ark regardless what)

6And when they came to Nachon's threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook it.
7And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God
8And David was displeased, because the LORD had made a breach upon Uzzah: and he called the name of the place Perezuzzah to this day.
9And David was afraid of the LORD that day, and said, How shall the ark of the LORD come to me?

omo.na wa 2day ooo...dis baba go drag bible come here ni sha.#respect#
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by yetseyi(f): 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
Kabieosi:

@yetseyi

We won't get brownie points for things [b]we do/did on impulse [/b]etc etc

Things we did on impulse?
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by ATMC(f): 7:04pm On Oct 06, 2013
@op tell ur friend not to ever buy shares from nigerian breweries as well as Guiness...smh seriously
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by haibe(m): 7:16pm On Oct 06, 2013
You can't say working in a brewery is a sin because it is not a sin.

1 Like

Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by Kabieosi: 7:28pm On Oct 06, 2013
yetseyi:

Things we did on impulse?

@yetseyi

Yes ooo yetseyi, as in those sudden strong desire(s) to do something without God's given or expressed official permission or approval

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, lord, have we not in thy name prophesied?
and in thy name cast out demons? and in thy name done many mighty things?
23and then I will acknowledge to them, that -- I never knew you,
depart from me ye who are working lawlessness

@^Matthew 7:22-23 Young's Literal Translation
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by yetseyi(f): 7:31pm On Oct 06, 2013
@ kabiesi
if i get u right u re saying we dont get rewarded for things we did on impulse
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by haibe(m): 7:33pm On Oct 06, 2013
Rhymeyjohn: what do you mean by abnormal use? Beer is used and drinking, and biblically, it is wrong/ a sin. it is not for kings, o Lemuel, it is not for kings to drinks wine; nor for princes to drink strong drink [b/] prov31:4. A born again christian is a [b] king before God rev5:10, and should not use alcohol.
Prov 31:6
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy heart
KJV. A perishing person cannot be a christian, Jh3:16 For God so love the world,............ that whoever believes in Him, should not perish but have eternal life. God bless us all

Lmao, see the way this guy interpretes the bible out of context

1 Like

Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by yetseyi(f): 7:34pm On Oct 06, 2013
ATMC: @op tell ur friend not to ever buy shares from nigerian breweries as well as Guiness...smh seriously
embarassed embarassed
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by haibe(m): 7:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
Taking alcohol is never a sin, drunkenness is a sin.

Taking food is never a sin, gluttony is a sin.

The point is moderation is the key.

Don't let any man judge you on what to drink or what to eat.

However some people are exempted from the consumption of alcohol, e.g bishops, this doesn't make it a sin though.
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by yetseyi(f): 7:40pm On Oct 06, 2013
haibe:

Lmao, see the way this guy interpretes the bible out of context

hmm I really dont think its out of context
Ok may be the kings part(Vs 4 of prov 31) looks out of context
what bout the prov 31 vs 6 part that says give strong drink to him d@ is ready to perish.( I am not linking this to the shall not perish in john 3.16)
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by ATMC(f): 7:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
yetseyi:
embarassed embarassed
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by yetseyi(f): 7:46pm On Oct 06, 2013
haibe: Taking alcohol is never a sin, drunkenness is a sin.

Taking food is never a sin, gluttony is a sin.

The point is moderation is the key.

Don't let any man judge you on what to drink or what to eat.

However some people are exempted from the consumption of alcohol, e.g bishops, this doesn't make it a sin though.

Honestly speaking "'never"' is too strong a word to use in that sentence because it is a controversial issue among some xtians as to taking it is a sin or not
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by ATMC(f): 7:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
yetseyi:

Honestly speaking "'never"' is too strong a word to use in that sentence because it is a controversial issue among some xtians as to taking it is a sin or not
define sin
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by Kabieosi: 7:51pm On Oct 06, 2013
yetseyi:

@ kabiesi
if i get u right u re saying we dont get rewarded for things we did on impulse

It is not that simple

You're on a roll, if it is righteous,
- all 3 occurring at the same time.
As doing the right thing,
synced with doing the do, at the right time
and the do done, synced with a right standing with God

If not, then YOYO - You're ON Your Own

Parable of the Talents, the one talent man was punished, not for what he did (i.e. he buried the money)

but was punished for what he did not do or was expected to do (i.e. he did not use the money or was expected to invest the money)

Some are pastors preaching etc etc

when they were called to be doctors treating or making medical breakthroughs or discoveries

God will say I called you to the ward, how come you ended in the pulpit? Explain
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by haibe(m): 7:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
yetseyi:

hmm I really dont think its out of context
Ok may be the kings part(Vs 4 of prov 31) looks out of context
what bout the prov 31 vs 6 part that says give strong drink to him d@ is ready to perish.( I am not linking this to the shall not perish in john 3.16)

"GIVE STRONG DRINK unto him that is ready to perish and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
LET HIM DRINK and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more" (prov. 31:6-7)

How does this verses prove wine to be a sin, isn't it infact encouraging it?
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by yetseyi(f): 8:02pm On Oct 06, 2013
ATMC: define sin
I think I m begining 2 4get d definition of sin.
well theres d wen u disobey God's commandment definitin nd dered d anytin done witout faith is sin definitn
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by yetseyi(f): 8:09pm On Oct 06, 2013
@kabiesi ohk
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by haibe(m): 8:21pm On Oct 06, 2013
yetseyi:

Controversy among christians doesn't stop alcohol from not being a sin, it is the bible that matters, not controversy among christians.
Re: Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? by ATMC(f): 8:26pm On Oct 06, 2013
yetseyi:
I think I m begining 2 4get d definition of sin.
well theres d wen u disobey God's commandment definitin nd dered d anytin done witout faith is sin definitn
so drinking alcohol falls where in ur definition?

(1) (2) (Reply)

True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim / Evangelizing The Evangelized ie preaching to people who have heard the gospel / Wonder! Biblical Goliath Skull Found In A Tomb Near Jerusalem (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.