Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,519 members, 7,826,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common (8355 Views)

What Islam Really Teaches About Allah And Jesus / Differences Between Muhammad And Jesus / Is Mohammad Really The Last Prophet From The Biblical God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by dblock(m): 12:49am On Jun 07, 2006
Before I say anytning further if this turns into some violent thing like the beauty pagent thing in 02 or the mohammad cartoons, I don care it's not meant to peace.

Jesus was a descendant of King david
And guess what I just learnt on Nat Geo that so is Mohammad.
Jesus founded a major religion and so did mohammad
the david blood line were born to be leaders. Maybe christians and Muslims should be more kind towards each other. sure we have our different rules but the two religions have a lot of similarities.
Does anyone know any more similarities?. I'm trying to get somewhere here
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by mrmayor(m): 1:02am On Jun 07, 2006
How is Jesus a decedent of David if Joseph was not his biological father?.don't care about Mohammad
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by PLAYBOY3(m): 12:39pm On Jun 07, 2006
They are Both prophet of God smiley
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by ajia23(m): 3:13pm On Jun 07, 2006
@ mrmayor

I think the answer to your question is obvious. PlayBoy, you are right, they were both prophet's of God. If Muhammad (SAW) could be traced to Abraham (ASW) and David (ASW) could also be traced to Abraham, then there may be some truth that Mohammad (SAW) can be traced to David. But Ithink it is more appropriate to trace him to Ishmael (ASW).
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by my2cents(m): 4:09pm On Jun 07, 2006
Their followers can all claim to sprout from the same root - Abraham
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by KAG: 6:33pm On Jun 07, 2006
dblock:

Before I say anytning further if this turns into some violent thing like the beauty pagent thing in 02 or the mohammad cartoons, I don care it's not meant to peace.

Jesus was a descendant of King david
And guess what I just learnt on Nat Geo that so is Mohammad.
Jesus founded a major religion and so did mohammad
the david blood line were born to be leaders. Maybe christians and Muslims should be more kind towards each other. sure we have our different rules but the two religions have a lot of similarities.
Does anyone know any more similarities?. I'm trying to get somewhere here

Where's the evidence for Jesus and Mohammed being descendants of David? Maybe what should be said is (until evidence to the contraryis provided of course), is both their followers have deemed it necessary to claim the two were descendants of King David.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by ajia23(m): 6:38pm On Jun 07, 2006
Kag

The follower of Islam do not believe Muhammed descended from Prophet David (ASW).
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by KAG: 6:45pm On Jun 07, 2006
ajia23:

Kag

The follower of Islam do not believe Muhammed descended from Prophet David (ASW).

No? My mistaken assumption, thanks for the correction smiley.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by dblock(m): 3:55am On Jun 08, 2006
Mohammad is infact proven to be a descendant

http://www.alaska.net/~peace/islam.html

http://www.branchofdavid.org/islam.htm

it's pretty hard to find where it actually says it in this pages but it's there
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by ajia23(m): 5:25am On Jun 08, 2006
Dblock
Those links you gave prove nothing. Firstly, the originators are not muslims. And they have not quoted any section of the Quran where the relationship between David (ASW) and Muhammed (SAW) wasalluded to. Please give up your claim until you have proof to back it up. I know the Quran, and no such relationship was stated. The only thing the Quran states about David (ASW) and Muhammed (SAW) along with other Prophets is that muslims should make no distiction between them.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by dblock(m): 3:28am On Jun 10, 2006
The devil is using me cool. But hey this things come up. I don't think it would be stated in the koran. And muslim leaders wouldn't talk about it even if they knew anything to keep islam away from christianity but scientists don't take sides so that's simply their proof.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by GL(f): 3:32am On Jun 10, 2006
I believe the only things they have in common are that they both descended from Abraham, and that they both have millions of followers.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by oghos2k(m): 3:40am On Jun 10, 2006
They've got nothing real in common.Only that they were both given the credits of establishing religions
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by dblock(m): 4:47am On Jun 13, 2006
aight stop this devil thread i must have been drunk
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by belloti(m): 12:57pm On Jun 13, 2006
Hey Mr Block, your thread is really cute. the fact of the matter is that there are over a million similarities between both of those great individuals and in real sense of it they were sent by the same Person to preach the same Religion.

We can only know these if we subject ourselves to rigorous research and objective search for beneficial knowledge not just our so called believes in our parents religions blindly. Most christians and very few Moslems tend to follow in the religious choice of their parents even when the dogma is not very clear.

Jesus(Eesa, Alayhis salam) was sent to mankind by God almighty. i am saying this as a moslem and i strongly believe in that
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by dblock(m): 12:12am On Jun 14, 2006
The catholic church knows billions of secrets which thjey don't let out to the public and likewise so do the islamic leaders i bet. but if there is some relation we'll never know and if scientists and experts continue it could spark violence towards them from both the catholic church and islamic leaders. Some experts claim they have solid prove but this is a pick and choose issue just like the Da Vinci code, which of course i chose not to believe.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Ndipe(m): 12:34am On Jun 14, 2006
Yeah, Jesus Christ is a descendant of King David, and No, Jesus Christ and Mohammed have nothing in common.

Read the Bible, His genealogy is traced through King David. I think it is both on the maternal and paternal (Joseph was his step-father) side.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by babwilms(m): 2:15am On Jun 14, 2006
@playboy. Jesus is not a prophet ooooo. Where did you get that from. Is the muslims that believe he was a prophet but not christians.

@Author. Jesus did not found any religion (Christianity). Other people did.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by GL(f): 2:58am On Jun 14, 2006
Dblock, there's no doubt the catholic church has a lot of secrets, however, christians don't base their judgments on the catholic church but on the Bible. Of course, being such an old institution, they have access to several historical documents, etc., other churches/ppl don't have access to. But, whatever "facts" anyone comes up with must agree with the bible to pass as a fact with Christians.

Belloti, even though the bible is much older than Islam or Muhammed, we can infer from it that Islam and Chrstianity aren't the same, and that Jesus and Muhammed weren't sent by the same Person. The Islam contradicts some fundamental christian doctrines, and cannot be the same at all. You only have to read the bible to see that Islam/Muhammed and Jesus/Christianity are very different and that any similarities are superficial.

Pls note that christians don't accept the Koran's account (and many other accounts) of Jesus' life, and a whole lot of other things. We see the bible as the only one infallible account in history and generally don't accept anything that contradicts it.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by syrup(f): 10:51pm On Jun 14, 2006
babwilms:

@playboy. Jesus is not a prophet ooooo. Where did you get that from. Is the muslims that believe he was a prophet but not christians.

Well, I'm sure that the Bible shows us that Jesus Christ was the Prophet, or He would not have been the one prophesied by Moses in Deut. 18:15 - "The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken."

Besides, He was more than just a/the Prophet - He was and is Prophet, Priest, King and Redeemer-Saviour.

Personally, I don't think there's anything in common shared between Jesus and Muhammed, or we would have to compare them to every other man; whether in terms of founding religions, or relationships with people/women (celibacy or polygamy). Joseph Smith founded the Mormon religion; Gautama Buddha founded Buddhism; Taoism was by Lao Tzu; and Guru Nanak birthed Sikhism. However, comparing Jesus and Muhammad on the criteria of having founded religions is superficial.

What Jesus was and accomplished, Muhammad was not and did not. But, of course, that's my opinion as a Christian.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by babwilms(m): 1:14am On Jun 15, 2006
@syrup. I think you need to read the bible passage you quoted to the end (Deu 18:15-20). From my understanding of the bible quote you stated and reading it to the end, i think God was just referring to any prophets he was going to raise up, examples was Samuel and Isiah among others

Well i do not know much of the old testament, if I'm wrong do correct me. We can also say Jesus do represent anything that is of God hence you are can be right call him a prophet.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by syrup(f): 9:02am On Jun 15, 2006
Well, the Lord Jesus was indeed the Prophet spoken of in Deut. 18:15 because that was a prophecy of a particular individual and not just any other prophet. In the New Testament, you find that the Jews were expecting the Prophet that Moses prophesied of in that verse, and they knew that none of the other prophets was being referred to in that context. “Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.” (John 6:14). Again, when you look at the questions asked John the Baptist, it is clear that there was a particular prophet in view in Deut. 18:15. Every Jew knew that the prophecy was pointing to just one person and not just to any prophet in a general sense. “And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.” (John 1:21). The important thing to note is that this prophet would be like unto Moses – speaking God’s Word as a Law (Deut. 18:18). Yes, Jesus was that Prophet, and the prophecy was not in reference to anyone else.

All the same, we don’t know everything in the Bible. I just wanted to share that Jesus was indeed both a Prophet and more than that.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by babwilms(m): 9:11am On Jun 15, 2006
@ Thank you for the explanation.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by syrup(f): 9:22am On Jun 15, 2006
Babs, welcome anytime - and thanks for your input.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by belloti(m): 10:39am On Jun 15, 2006
You see GL, because we have tried so hard to look at other religions in an uncompromising rivalry manner, we never had time to really understand the basics tenants of them.

In Islam Adam was the first man and the first prophet. these people are human being like you and me in terms of physical outlook. The fact that they called their people to do the right thing and avoid evils made their teachings a godly one. the fact that they wre righteous and God fearing made them the true messengers of God who conveys God's message to mankind. Holy Books were revealed to four of them which Islam strongly acknowledge, ie Moses, David, Jesus and Muhammad, may peace and blessing of Allah be upon them all, Amen.

From Adam the first to Muhammad(SAW) the last, we recognised several other Messengers of Allah who were human beings not Gods, because there can only be one God. We have Abraham, David, Solomon, Lot, Noah, Ishmael, Jesus, etc. May Allah Bless them all, Amen.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by mlksbaby(f): 3:13pm On Jun 15, 2006
Hello Belloti,

I'm afraid you're giving us the Islamic interpretation of what you might suppose are the basic tenets of 'other religions'. The issue is whether or not Muhammad and Jesus have anything in common - and I'm one of those persuaded that they don't.

It may be alright to consider Adam as the first prophet in Islam; but then again, in Christianity he was not a prophet. Second, Adam is not recorded to have called anyone to do the right thing and avoid evil - and there's no record of Adam's 'teaching' in Christianity in order to judge whether or not it was 'a godly one'. Think about it - do you have a record of the teachings of Adam in Islam, apart from the terse acknowledgement that the Qur'an accords him?

If Islam strongly acknowledges holy books revealed to 'four of them', what happened to the writings of other prophets like Isaiah, Jeremiah, Zechariah, Ezekiel, Daniel and a few others?

Even David you mentioned in your post acknowledged in the Jewish scriptures that the Messiah is the Son of God (Psa. 2:7 &12), but Islam separates that witness while stating that it believes in what has been revealed to David. Isaiah was recognized as a prophet among the Jews, and he clearly called the Messiah by the name "the Mighty God" (Isa. 9:6). Zechariah was another prophet among the Jews, and he prophesied that the LORD Himself shall be looked upon when He was pierced, language in clear reference to the crucifixion of Christ (see Zech. 12:10).

At the end of the day, you've only managed to concur that Muhammad and Jesus had nothing in common, and from all considerations your views are only as far as Islam goes.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by belloti(m): 12:31pm On Jun 16, 2006
Hello Baby,

Thanks a million for your timely corrections. i just realised i was a bit carried away in my analogy. certainly my views are basically islamic views, i only sometime wish other religion might consider analysing those views juxtaposing them with other popular opinions.

In anyway, as a muslim i always see Jesus(Easa, peace be upon him), like Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him), as a reverred messenger of God that came to spread the gospel of truth. What happened to his teachings after he left is really an issue i d rather not talk about here.

But i thank you Baby for understanding my perspective.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by mlksbaby(f): 4:31pm On Jun 16, 2006
Bello-T, you're a gentleman wink
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by MrBean(m): 5:23pm On Jun 16, 2006
Jesus and Mohammed? !!!!!!!

NOTHING !!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!!!
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by TayoD(m): 6:29pm On Jun 16, 2006
I find it difficult to come up with any similarity between Jesus and Mohammed, or Jesus and any individual for that matter. My reasoning is based on what Jesus claimed of Himself. I don't think anyone comes close to these: John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Isaiah 9:6 - For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. John 10 - 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and my Father are one.

I can't claim to know much about Mohammed, but I know he can't claim to being One with the Father, nor can he claim to give life to his followers and neither can he arrogate to himself the honour of beign called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Based on these, I find absolutely no similarites between both individuals.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by syrup(f): 8:57am On Jun 17, 2006
belloti:

[b]Hey Mr Block, your thread is really cute. the fact of the matter is that there are over a million similarities between both of those great individuals and in real sense of it they were sent by the same Person to preach the same Religion.

Mr belloti,

This is what I call passion for one's religion. . . lol. Since there are 'over a million similarities' between Jesus and Muhammad, would you care to give me just about thirty? And, uhm. . . are you sure that Islam and Christianity are the same? I'd like to see how that is so.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by donnie(m): 4:28pm On Jun 21, 2006
mrlawng:

Jesus and Muhammad? !!!!!!!

NOTHING !!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!!!

That's my queue brother! Absolutely nothing!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Didn't Allah Protect The Other Holy Books? / Solatul Subhi And My Work / What Could Be Worse Than Abandoning Prayer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.