Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,521 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows (13613 Views)

APC Loses Six Rep Seats In Lagos As Igbo Political Clout Grows. / APGA Appoints Obiano As National Leader And Chair Of Bot / ABU Students Describe Abati As National Embarrassment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by LocalChamp: 2:23am On Oct 07, 2013
Nwabueze quits as national conference row grows

Posted by: Emmanuel Oladesu, Group Political Editor and Ahmed Rufai

There will be no restriction on issues that the proposed national conference will discuss, the government said yesterday as Prof Ben Nwabueze (SAN), a key personality appointed into the 13-member Planning Committee, pulled out.

Opinions have been divided on the conference since President Goodluck Jonathan in his October 1 anniversary broadcast announced his intention to convoke it.

The Senator Femi Okurounmu-led committee is due for inauguration by Dr. Jonathan today.

Members of the committee are: Dr. Akilu Ndabawa (secretary) Prof. George Obiozor, Sen. Khairat Gwadabe, Sen. Timothy Adudu, Col. Tony Nyiam, Prof. Funke Adebayo, Dr. Mairo Ahmed Amshi, Dr. Abubakar Sadiq, Alhaji Dauda Birma, Mallam Bello Bukhari and Mr. Tony Uranta.

Nwabueze, the octogenarian leader of The Patriots, a group of elder statesmen who have been canvassing the convocation of a sovereign national conference, said he was quitting the planning team on health grounds. But he hailed the presidential move as a bold step.

Nwabueze urged the President to replace him with another member of The Patriots, Chief Solomon Asemota (SAN).

In his letter to President Jonathan on behalf of The Patriots, Nwabueze, said : “‘The Patriots’ regard this development as epochal and re-affirms the support, which we conveyed to you on the occasion of our visit on August 29. It is our fervent hope that nothing would be allowed to stand in the way during the preparation for and execution of the national conference that would finally bring every Nigerian into the mainstream of governance.”

In another personal letter to the President, Nwabueze said: “I am presently in London and may be away from Nigeria for some time. I will be glad, if I could be replaced in the Presidential Advisory Committee on National Dialogue/Conference by Mr. Solomon Asemota (SAN), who is a member of ‘The Patriots’.”

On his return from medical vacation abroad at the weekend, a national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, described the planned conference as “a Greek gift”, which should be avoided.

He said the conference was diversionary, adding: “I see diversion here. I see deception here. I see lack of honesty and integrity here. Nigerians are being deceived.”

Also yesterday, Jigawa State Governor Sule Lamido said the conference “is illegal”, adding that his state will not participate in it.

Lamido, speaking in Dutse, the state capital, said there was no constitutional backing for the conference.

According to him, it will be a flagrant abuse of democratic institutions. He said his administration would not be party to it and no delegate from Jigawa will attend.

Lamido said: “The only solution to the country’s problems is good governance and leaders should abide by due process, rule of law and ethics of leadership.”

“This proposal is a flagrant abuse of democracy. We have the Senate and the House of Representatives that are legally and democratically elected to represent constituencies to discuss national issues.”

On how delegates will be selected, he asked: “Are you going to ask (Attahiru) Jega (the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) chairman) to organise elections for those that would participate in the dialogue, which I am sure he would not accept or are you going to select them through nomination to go and take over the responsibility of elected ones?

“So the idea for the dialogue lacks formula in our democratic society and embarking on such worthless venture is not ideal.”

But presidential spokesman Reuben Abati was quoted yesterday by the Voice of America (VOA) as describing critics of the conference as doing so “for selfish political reasons”.

“The naysayers are just individual trouble makers who are opposing it for selfish political reasons. Because these same isolated individuals are persons who in the past have demanded an exercise of this nature, who have said this is important for Nigeria to move forward.

“But now that they have been confronted with it, and they have seen the administration is committed to really having that dialogue and giving them the opportunity to ventilate their own opinion, they are now trying to play politics just to be seen to be contrarian as a habit.”

Abati added: “What is different is the commitment of the government of the day, the political will to make a difference and this administration is not going to define no-go areas for the conference.

“This is a problem solving unity forging exercise, and it is not surprising that the proposal has received the support of Nigerians across the various ethnic nationalities, and across socio-political organisations, who have said that indeed a dialogue is necessary.”

According to Abati, the mandate of the conference is to “work out the modalities, the form, the structure, the nomenclature, the agenda for the dialogue or conference”. “Part of the function is also advising government on the legal proceeding that may be necessary, the constitutional action that may follow the outcome of the dialogue,” he said.

Abati said the conference would address “those issues that continue to cause friction within the Nigerian society, issues that were left unresolved by previous conferences of this nature”.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/nwabueze-quits-as-national-conference-row-grows/
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by manny4life(m): 3:35am On Oct 07, 2013
My take on this simple

It isn't news that the "Nigerian Project" is a mirage and a celebrated FRAUD. We have underlining issues for instance the "born-to-rule" mentality, these issues has and still is impeding our growth as a nation. We grow by population and numbers, but we aren't moving forward. To the North, you have Boko Haram, to the South, we have other issues, the thin fabric holding us together is gradually disintegrating; our foundation is shaky and on the verge of collapse, how is it that these "selfish men" do not see what other Nigerians see?

They accuse GEJ of wanting SNC because of 2nd term, I say let it be. Even if the purpose isn't genuine, the mere gathering will cause panic, the discussion and debate will raise several other issues. When issues like Regional Govt, Federalism, State of Origin, or even Secession by will etc arise, at least it will give rise to other questions. Their argument about NASS (the house and Senate) being legally constituted to deal with these issues is BS. We elected NASS member there, the Constitution was written by men (a govt for the people and by the people), so again, their argument is BS. NASS has been debating tons of issues year in year out without resolve, the PIB comes to mind. About two years ago, when RMFAC was reviewing the sharing formula, it caused chaos, in fact, I recommend that the entire NASS be dissolved.

As to how to reps will be selected, what happened to having a referendum? Let the people vote and decide who they want representing them at the meeting. Nigeria has more than 700 LG and 36 states, if each state can produce at least 5reps or more to represent them, then we're talking. At least if INEC is not willing to do it, the youths will do it. Any state that doesn't want to be a part of it are welcome to exempt themselves, as long as Sen David Mark has agreed to it and Speaker Tambuwal is ready to give in, anyone who isn't interested is inconsequential. We need to solve our issues if we're to remain as one, if not, let everyone dissolve peacefully. Nigeria is TOO BIG and IMPORTANT to be cowed into silence by a few of disgruntled elements.

39 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Nobody: 3:40am On Oct 07, 2013
So truly nigeria is about to break up...this guy doesnt want to join in league of making history.. bye nwabueze

I hope this generation of nigeria makes a good decision cos our past generation made a terrible one...

7 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by isaco(m): 4:11am On Oct 07, 2013
Thumb up national conference, thumb up break up !

2 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by isaco(m): 4:20am On Oct 07, 2013
Many people have been agitating for this for so long, now some dont want it again. 9ja!

5 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by MayorofLagos(m): 5:14am On Oct 07, 2013
No, Nwabueze is upset over something else and it will be revealed soon.

There is huge gap between matters of ethnic culture, nativity, value system and that of a constituted democratic process.

I dont know about other groups but Yorubas are not concerned about 1914 alone, we are also disatisfied about 1906; we did not consent to either union that we were forced into and want out of it or rearrange it in ways that our interest in it is fulfilling.

This SNC situation is a matter of nativity and race. The process should draw a racial map of Nigeria. Each race should convoke within its group and appoint a single voice to speak for it in the national conference. Whether you are 1million in population or 50million; one voice per race. Ethnics should identify with a racial type.

Keep NASS out of this because it is a democratic process empowered by constitution of Nigeria and not customary laws of the races.

Jigawa is a state, not a race, therefore the utterances of Lamido are inconsequential and ought to be put aside.

Tinubu is speaking for APC, which is not a race, therefore his utterances are of no consequence to the mission.

We need to listen to Egbe Omo Oodua and Afenifere, Ohanaeze, Arewa Elders Forum and other racial groups. Tinubu, Lamido and NASS should step aside. This issue is above their interest and sphere of responsibility.

52 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Ngwakwe: 5:25am On Oct 07, 2013
You have great understanding of what this project should resemble, going back to the past to restructuring whatever is wrong with this union.

Mayor_of_Lagos: No, Nwabueze is upset over something else and it will be revealed soon.

There is huge gap between matters of ethnic culture, nativity, value system and that of a constituted democratic process.

I dont know about other groups but Yorubas are not concerned about 1914 alone, we are also disatisfied about 1906; we did not consent to either union that we were forced into and want out of it or rearrange it in ways that our interest in it is fulfilling.

This SNC situation is a matter of nativity and race. The process should draw a racial map of Nigeria. Each race should convoke within its group and appoint a single voice to speak for it in the national conference. Whether you are 1million in population or 50million; one voice per race. Ethnics should identify with a racial type.

Keep NASS out of this because it is a democratic process empowered by constitution of Nigeria and not customary laws of the races.

Jigawa is a state, not a race, therefore the utterances of Lamido are inconsequential and ought to be put aside.

Tinubu is speaking for APC, which is not a race, therefore his utterances are of no consequence to the mission.

We need to listen to Egbe Omo Oodua and Afenifere, Ohanaeze, Arewa Elders Forum and other racial groups. Tinubu, Lamido and NASS should step aside. This issue is above their interest and sphere of responsibility.
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by MayorofLagos(m): 5:47am On Oct 07, 2013
Ngwakwe: You have great understanding of what this project should resemble, going back to the past to restructuring whatever is wrong with this union.

Thanks Ngwakwe. I wonder why media is intimidated, no one in the media is driving the conversation. I can already foresee a derailment of the goal going by the attitude in media. We are getting one side of the chatter - the democratic voice; we would like to get the ethnic voice as well.

1 Like

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by musiwa1l: 5:53am On Oct 07, 2013
age is the reason why he may not be able to attend, because it would involve been in abuja. for someone of his age, and living with his children in london. the children would tell him No. His children will tell him not return back to nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Nobody: 6:20am On Oct 07, 2013
Nigeria as is presently constituted is a papier marche contraption and hardly cemented fragments. It is a marriage of administrative convenience.
Those that oppose the national conference are notorious for their nagging attitude towards duplicity. They mouth platitudes that is not backed by facts. The real enemies of Nigeria are coming out of the closet and the mucus-brained shall cheer them on.
Let us, as Nigerians be wary of these 'men of the people' that are quick to shout from the rooftops.

3 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by ayusco85(m): 6:20am On Oct 07, 2013
Please just tell us when Nigeria will break up. Stop hiding behind this deceptive S.N.C.

By the way, do u all know that:-

“The sun is not the only THING that RISES in the morning.” - #Chiwetalu Agu grin

**Yawns and chews chewing stick***
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by cashkidisback(m): 6:33am On Oct 07, 2013
i smell sumtin fishy in nwabueze resignation .cud it be dt his life was threatened
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by tomakint: 6:36am On Oct 07, 2013
There is an ominous cloud gathering, definitely, these Northerners are afraid of something and I foresee them ganging up to say NO to the National Conference but they all shall be firmly RESISTED! As for the quitting of the renowned constitutional lawyer, I think age is not on his side for such onerous task, perhaps his nominee should be considered. Like I used to stay, the NC is the need of the hour to address our teething and thorny issues, Jonathan must not let it DIE despite opposing voices!

10 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Nobody: 6:43am On Oct 07, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Thanks Ngwakwe. I wonder why media is intimidated, no one in the media is driving the conversation. I can already foresee a derailment of the goal going by the attitude in media. We are getting one side of the chatter - the democratic voice; we would like to get the ethnic voice as well.
The media as it is in Nigeria is not proactive at all. I was expecting more positive coverage form the media since this conference was announced, but what do we see?
*Editorials that set negative tones about the conference
*interviews with a lopsided view on the conference (yesterday's thisday interview with Bishop M. Kukah)
*i am yet to see one commentary in any of our papers that isn't filled with the usual bigotry, albeit masked in lots of innuendos

Bet me, the jigawa state gov's and Sen Tinubu's remarks and the Prof Nwabueze's comments will be having much coverage than any news this week (as if that is what is important)

5 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by passion007: 7:05am On Oct 07, 2013
The planned National Dialog is on course.
Jigawa State Governor is merely attempting to blackmail the committee with his talk.
I say call his bluff, let's know who'll be worse for it.
The less Hausa-Fulani at the conference , the better.
Obviously, he's at his wit's end ruminating the possibility that oil money may stop flowing into his state.
An advantage further entrenched by our doctored census that claims his state (carved out in 1991) is almost half as populous as Lagos State.
In time, the truth will be out for all to see.
I wholeheartedly support the National Dialog, for the simple reason that a particular region would rather not let the plan see the light of day
There are skeletons in certain closets, no doubt.

4 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by fkaz(m): 7:35am On Oct 07, 2013
Also speaking on the issue, Senator Burka Abba Ibrahim said, “I have nothing against National Conference, it is most welcome, we will participate in whatever way we can. But what is not possible is for somebody to talk about Sovereign National Conference. You cannot have a Sovereign National Conference when you have a National Assembly. What we will have is a National Conference and whatever is decided by the National Conference, the National Assembly will have to ratify and then it becomes law in Nigeria.”

A legal practitioner and former member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Uche Onyeagocha, has, in the meantime, condemned the position of the lawmakers, saying what the country needs is SNC and not National Dialogue or mere National Conference.
Onyeagocha said, “Well, I am particularly interested in the issue of National Conference. My view is that, we do not need a National Conference as suggested by Mr. President. What we need is a Sovereign National Conference.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/condition-national-conference-senate/

From thje bolded part, any sensible nigeria should know where this talkshow would end up. The likes of prof BEN WNABUEZE, GOV BOLA TINUBU and many others has always called for SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE and not NATIONAL CONFERENCE that some people are celebrating for.

FACT

What is the need for NATIONAL CONFERENCE when at the end ,their recommendation/final report will be sent to NATIONAL ASSEMBLY for another deliberation. Nig. Petroleum industry bill is still lying there in the senate.
GEJ should give us SNC and not NC, we should stop foolin ourself

13 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by mu2sa2: 7:35am On Oct 07, 2013
With more than 250 tribes in Nigeria, ibo, yoruba and hausa hav no rights over tribes. Altho the NC will just be a talkshop and its resolution will go the way if other reports, but still tyranny of the three largest ethnic groups over the other is unacceptable.
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Tranquill: 7:40am On Oct 07, 2013
What is legal to Sule Lamido and his cohorts is the assertion that President Jonathan signed an agreement to serve for only one term and give them back their birthright. They will soon begin to hear nwiiiiiii!

2 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by waternogetenemy: 7:50am On Oct 07, 2013
It has been nice, this Nigeria ting but all good tings come to an end, without the British medeling Nigeria would never have existed. Let us go our separate ways, Yorubas please keep Lagos, life goes on.
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by chymystique(f): 7:53am On Oct 07, 2013
http://www.openmindfoundation.com/index.php/understanding-the-sovereign-national-conference-snc/

For NLs who wants to understand wah SNC is all abt. Nice article tho
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Emperor007: 7:56am On Oct 07, 2013
Toaskarity: So truly nigeria is about to break up...this guy doesnt want to join in league of making history.. bye nwabueze

I hope this generation of nigeria makes a good decision cos our past generation made a terrible one...

^^^

He said on health ground, and 100% in support SNC.

4 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by dridowu: 7:57am On Oct 07, 2013
I just hope anoda ctte will not be set up to oversee the outcme of ds present ctte.
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Emperor007: 8:03am On Oct 07, 2013
SNC is more important to Nigerians presently than 2015 elections.

Every right thinking Nigerian knows that the earlier we hold a SNC, the better for all except the greedy and wicked ones that want the status quo to continue to the detriment of 97% of Nigerian population.

6 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 07, 2013
Talk! Talk! Talk!

Nigeria has been talking since 1960.
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by donphilopus: 8:46am On Oct 07, 2013
Problem at the highest order, what does the presidency have to say on this?
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Ngwakwe: 8:55am On Oct 07, 2013
Nwabueze gave precise reason and went ahead to recommend a fellow Patriot whom I believe is capable of getting the job done.

I believe Nwabueze will be available to provide the expertise needed if our constitution needs to be rewritten from the scratch.

donphilopus: Problem at the highest order, what does the presidency have to say on this?

1 Like

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Osama10(m): 9:00am On Oct 07, 2013
Anyone against a SNC is benefiting from the status quo.

This forced marriage must end,the only thing holding this forced marriage is the oil from the south.

3 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by donphilopus: 9:01am On Oct 07, 2013
Ngwakwe: Nwabueze gave precise reason and went ahead to recommend a fellow Patriot whom I believe is capable of getting the job done.

I believe Nwabueze will be available to provide the expertise needed if our constitution needs to be rewritten from the scratch.

True Talk
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Livinusc(m): 9:16am On Oct 07, 2013
Ngwakwe: You have great understanding of what this project should resemble, going back to the past to restructuring whatever is wrong with this union.

I smell fresh air.
Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by tmotmo: 9:26am On Oct 07, 2013
Emperor_007: SNC is more important to Nigerians presently than 2015 elections.

Every right thinking Nigerian knows that the earlier we hold a SNC, the better for all except the greedy and wicked ones that want the status quo to continue to the detriment of 97% of Nigerian population.

You are right.
However, most contributors on this thread are getting things wrong, and that thing is knowing that SNC is not the same thing as NC

SNC = NC + (Freedom + Certainty + Sincerity of purpose + All stakeholders inclusion)

Please making NC the subject of the above formulae will give you an understanding why some people know that NC IS diversionary.

More importantly, was it not the same PDP that rejected the SNC? and planting NC which can be throw away at the National Assembly.

For those that has brain and hear and can use it to think wisely and listen carefully respectively, the ruling classes( including the opposition) and their cohort will never agree to any outcome that will negatively affect their interest; starting from President GEJ to the the ward Councillors will resist any change to the platform that brought them to where they are now.

Remember what Senate president said about NC and SNC, it is a section of the script that will be used to discredit the so-called NC at a later stage

1 Like

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by Iolo(m): 9:31am On Oct 07, 2013
fkaz:

From thje bolded part, any sensible nigeria should know where this talkshow would end up. The likes of prof BEN WNABUEZE, GOV BOLA TINUBU and many others has always called for SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE and not NATIONAL CONFERENCE that some people are celebrating for.

FACT

What is the need for NATIONAL CONFERENCE when at the end ,their recommendation/final report will be sent to NATIONAL ASSEMBLY for another deliberation. Nig. Petroleum industry bill is still lying there in the senate.

fkaz:

FACT

While I like the idea of an SNC, there is a lot of debate about the constitutionality of a Sovereign National Conference. Our constitution simply has no room for it. What this means is that conclusions met by any SNC may still be invalidated by the court of law...it would even have issues with regards to implementation because you can't implement the decisions of a convened body that isn't backed by any law.

My guess is that before a Sovereign National Conference can take place, there would have to be some sort of adjustments to the present constitution.

The other way around this is to have a National Conference...they debate on the topics the SNC would have taken up, and their decisions are ratified by the NASS. The NASS would find it difficult not to pass the results of the National Conference because the conference would have the backing of the people.

Another solution is to have a referendum where people would vote on the issues to be raised...its an option but I'm not sure if our constitution supports this.

Basically a national conference is the limit to how we can come together as a multi-cultural entity called Nigeria and have a debate on our future.

2 Likes

Re: Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows by honeric01(m): 10:02am On Oct 07, 2013
What is the difference between SNC and NC?

Which is really needed?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Between Reno Omokri And A Twitter User funny reply / Anti-graft Agencies Can’t Account For Recovered Loot – Saraki / APC Women Leaders Visit Aisha Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.