Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,926 members, 7,838,303 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

Why Was Sunday Choosen As The Sabath Day And Not Saturday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Was Sunday Choosen As The Sabath Day And Not Saturday? (1179 Views)

How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / The Naked Truth About Lazarus Mouka (the Lord’s Choosen) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was Sunday Choosen As The Sabath Day And Not Saturday? by lanightdavido(m): 8:00am On Oct 07, 2013
Although,have been in the christ like way of life for quite about twenty five years now and the denomination I attend chosed their sabath day to be sunday(the first day in the week),not until yesterday something strucked my mind saying"God created everything in 6days and told and rested the seventh day".therefore,we should have our sabath day the seventh day......what really ponders me now is dat why have most christians choosen sunday i.e the first day in the week as the sabath day......pls my beloved nairalander,shed light to this..thanks,God bless
Re: Why Was Sunday Choosen As The Sabath Day And Not Saturday? by noblefada: 10:01am On Oct 07, 2013
Interesting question, let see what fellow brethren have to say about it, will give my opinion later
Re: Why Was Sunday Choosen As The Sabath Day And Not Saturday? by Chigozie1984(f): 10:04am On Oct 07, 2013
I use to be Catholic and believe that the Sabbath day was on a Sunday, I am now a Sabbath Observer and believe that the Sabbath day is the 7th day which is on a Saturday. Sunday is the first day of the week, and also the first day the Elohim start to work.

Why do you think only a few people worship on Saturdays and the whole lot is worshiping on Sunday.
Re: Why Was Sunday Choosen As The Sabath Day And Not Saturday? by noblefada: 11:04am On Oct 07, 2013
As much as it is not so important to dwell on issues that have no bearing on our faith or spiritual life, but since its an honest question, I'll say few words. What I going to say now, I just got to understand them from the scriptures just few days ago.
I have once thought about it (why we meet on Saturday and not Sunday), but not so much, because its doesn't add or remove from my salvation, which is one salient point I would love the OP to take seriously.
The Sabbath day was first observed by God in Gen 2, but was not observed again from that time through the time Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, until the time of the giving of the law. The Sabbath day was simply figurative of Salvation by Grace through Christ as well explained in Heb chapters 3 to 10. But it became a law to the children of Israel as an ordinance, so Israel were made to observed the Sabbath day as a law, but we're under Grace and so we're not mandated to keep the Sabbath day, but as I earlier said it has already been fulfilled in Christ Jesus Gal 3 & 4.
Now why do we worship on Sundays? As you know Sunday is the 1st day of the week, I discover from scriptures that it was a practise of Paul among the early gentile churches for them to meet and fellowship with the word and one another, this I believe was because the Sabbath was already dedicated to the Jewish traditional worship and he didn't want to cause any division among them and also wanted the Jews to partake in is teaching meetings. Below are bible references: Act 20:7 KJV And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
1Co 16:2 KJV Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. So I believe this tradition just continued over the ages in the Churches. Shalom

(1) (Reply)

Praise To My God / Heavenly Ascension And Jewish Mysticism / Full Transcript Of What Rev. Father Mbaka Said Concerning President GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.