Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,470 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes (8463 Views)

Ondo Farmers Reject Proposed Grazing Routes For Fulani Herdsmen / FG Declares War On Cattle Rustlers, Bandits In The North West/central / Medview Approved To Fly Six International Routes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Nobody: 9:14am On Oct 07, 2013
HERDSMEN TASK GOVT ON CATTLE ROUTES

Herdsmen in Taraba State have called on the government to open up cattle routes to avert clashes between them and farmers.

Chief of Fulanis in Mutump-Biyu, Gassol council of the state Ardo Gidado Ardo who spoke on behalf of the herdsmen, said some of the cattle routes mapped out by government in the past have been taken over by farmers. He stressed the need for mutual understanding and tolerance between herdsmen and farmers in the state. Gidado stressed that dialogue and tolerance remain the best way to addressing crisis.

Source

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 07, 2013
^^^
It is high time designated cattle routes across all states in the federation are made public.

If the HOR can tackle this issue seriously in Abuja, as the documents attached clearly show, then there should be no ambiguity over grazing rights in other areas either.

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by MyPoundCake(m): 10:19am On Oct 07, 2013
All these people should get a farm and plant their own grass for their malu.

13 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA,

Why do you derive so much pleasure from dishing out solutions you know to be unworkable and impractical?
You surely can do better than this...
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:23am On Oct 07, 2013
eGuerrilla: PAGAN 9JA,

Why do you derive so much pleasure from dishing out solutions you know to be unworkable and impractical?
You surely can do better than this...

who says they are unworkable and impractical

Im not as hopeless as you lot. We are working on it. cool
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by curtain: 10:24am On Oct 07, 2013
These mercenaries in disguise of herdsmen don't want to talk about cattle-ranches, where does the concept of grazing-route come from? Which developed country practices such? There should rather be laws criminalising wandering animals and tresspasses, this is the 21st century for pete's-sake

22 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by fingard02k(m): 10:24am On Oct 07, 2013
ok
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Nobody: 10:24am On Oct 07, 2013
I disagree.

National grazing routes won't solve the problem. What those herdsmen need to do is stop their outdated nomadic rearing lifestyle completely, and migrate to a settled ranch system.

11 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Salgar: 10:25am On Oct 07, 2013
Remember they are stakeholders in Nigeria economy, and they are requesting for their rite now, let government give them an listening ears before is too late.
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:26am On Oct 07, 2013
HNosegbe: I disagree.

National grazing routes won't solve the problem. What those guys need to do is evolve into a ranch system.

shut up. The FUlani cattle are not ranch cattle. angry

That is the Fuulbe Nomadic Lifestyle. You cannot do away with that.

The Farmers Association and the Fuulbe need to work out on New routes together with the Government.

SI NAANI FUULBE!!!!!!

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 07, 2013
vacant
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 07, 2013
Boko haram has devised many means to steal, to kill and to destroy.
One day my 04 rav4 was speeding down to onitsha when suddenly this group of cows starts crossing the road! I shouted at the herdsman who was at one side of the road, in response he gave me 5. I felt like turning my steering to hit him with that his hand that was giving me the WAKA sign

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Ozonna(m): 10:28am On Oct 07, 2013
Biko why can't the fulanis buy land and construct a ranch Why do they want free land

Have a question, do fulani herdsmen even pay taxes?

9 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by donphilopus: 10:28am On Oct 07, 2013
I dislike them because they are thief.

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 07, 2013
Nice suggestion if you ask me.. But let's face it, this trouble seeking illiterate herdsmen can never live in a peaceful environment or follow a stipulated law

They'll be the first to break such laws after it's been agreed upon and passed into law

their passion for trouble, fighting and killing is inherent. Sooner than later, they will leave those mapped out routes and deviate into people's farms and wreck havoc there while killing people of the community. They should be restricted to their jungle if you ask me... Prevention is better than cure undecided

7 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Metallurgist: 10:33am On Oct 07, 2013
Ozonna: Biko why can't the fulanis buy land and construct a ranch Why do they want free land

Have a question, do fulani herdsmen even pay taxes?
Do you?
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by 3ace(m): 10:35am On Oct 07, 2013
Bossforeva: Boko haram has devised many means to steal, to kill and to destroy.
One day my 04 rav4 was speeding down to onitsha when suddenly this group of cows starts crossing the road! I shouted at the herdsman who was at one side of the road, in response he gave me 5. I felt like turning my steering to hit him with that his hand that was giving me the WAKA sign
Why this comment?
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Ozonna(m): 10:36am On Oct 07, 2013
Metallurgist: Do you?

Yes sir I do.
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Pk001(m): 10:36am On Oct 07, 2013
It won't work!

Who will give his land?
The herdsmen is doing business with his cattle, the farmer is doing business with his land. Let the herdsman lease or buy the land from the farmer. But they want it for free, whereas they are making big profit from their cattle. Nonsense

Allowing them to have a route is not the problem, but the danger they create by their passage is what everyone is sacred of.

Let them start thinking of having Ranches.The Masai of Kenya are already on that path.

5 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Ozonna(m): 10:37am On Oct 07, 2013
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

shut up. The FUlani cattle are not ranch cattle.

That is the Fuulbe Lifestyle. You cannot do away with that.

The Farmers Association and the Fuulbe need to work out on New routes together with the Government.

1. Stop using abusive words. It reeks of childishness and doesn't portray a matured mind.

2. Cultures change. Cultures evolve. That they've had this lifestyle for centuries doesn't mean it is right or that they should continue. The practice of nomadic rearing of cattle is incompatible with modern Nigeria.

3. Can you name ONE country where grazing routes have been so successfully laid out that conflicts between herdsmen and farmers had been completely eliminated?

4. As Nigeria's population continues to increase, there will be more competition for land and other resources. Nigerians of the future will not take kindly to constant invasion of their space by wandering cattle. Whether they like it or not, the Fulani herdsmen will have to evolve.

Like I said, nomadic cattle-rearing is INCOMPATIBLE with the realities of modern Nigeria.

17 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 07, 2013
3ace: Why this comment?

He's tryna say a bunch of gibberish
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by 3ace(m): 10:39am On Oct 07, 2013
Pk001: It won't work!

Who will give his land?
The herdsmen is doing business with his cattle, the farmer is doing business with his land. Let the herdsman lease or buy the land from the farmer. But they want it for free, whereas they are making big profit from their cattle. Nonsense

Allowing them to have a route is not the problem, but the danger they create by their passage is what everyone is sacred of.

Let them start thinking of having Ranches.The Masai of Kenya are already on that path.
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Big4wig(m): 10:40am On Oct 07, 2013
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by nduchucks: 10:42am On Oct 07, 2013
HNosegbe: I disagree.

National grazing routes won't solve the problem. What those herdsmen need to do is stop their outdated nomadic rearing lifestyle completely, and migrate to a settled ranch system.

How condescending and pompous of you! Who are you to determine how people want to live their lives? If you are not a diaspora resident then you are eating some of the best beef in the world. Those cows are in great shapes and are not the cancer causing, genetically engineered cows you eat abroad. You should be greatful to the herders instead of insulting them.

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:43am On Oct 07, 2013
Because of the Fulani, we Nigerians are the luckiest people on Earth to have the best quality and healthiest meats on our table.

Organic and free-from genetic engineering.

The cows eat a natural variety of grasses and are free-roaming. not confined to stables for all their lives, in a mass-produced money oriented business.

AS the argument proceeds, let us listen to some quality Fulani music.

(Bammo, the lead Fulani Wodaabe singer is from Sokoto, Nigeria.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NjX1ziHVX8
Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:43am On Oct 07, 2013
HNosegbe:

1. Stop using abusive words. It reeks of childishness and doesn't portray a matured mind.

2. Cultures change. Cultures evolve. That they've had this lifestyle for centuries doesn't mean it is right or that they should continue. The practice of nomadic rearing of cattle is incompatible with modern Nigeria.

3. Can you name ONE country where grazing routes have been so successfully laid out that conflicts between herdsmen and farmers had been completely eliminated?

4. As Nigeria's population continues to increase, there will be more competition for land and other resources. Nigerians of the future will not take kindly to constant invasion of their space by wandering cattle. Whether they like it or not, the Fulani herdsmen will have to evolve.

Like I said, nomadic cattle-rearing is INCOMPATIBLE with the realities of modern Nigeria.

1. Then stop posting such arrogant and ignorant suggestions. What you are suggesting is to cage free-roaming organic non-genetically engineered, healthy cattle for your own selfish ends.

2.You think you are Charles Darwins son yes? Everything doesnt need to evolve. And if it does evolve, it must evolve positively. What you are suggesting is not evolution, but complete destruction of a peoples way of life and culture.
What we need is alternative solutions.

3. This situation is only a West African one. In Mali, Niger,etc., the Tuareg, Fula and Tocouler still continue the ancient Trans-SAhara migration routes.

4. This is the problem. Nigeria Govt. must curb population growth and provide family planning awareness. Just because you have a million kids. that is not the problem of the Fuulbe. To destroy the natural lives of a people is genocide of the highest degree.

5.The Migratory routes of the FUlani is important for a stable ecosystem.

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 07, 2013
I regret being called a Nigerian with these heartless animals. After they have killed hundreds if not thousands of people.

4 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by Orikinla(m): 10:45am On Oct 07, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Source

Why can't they stay in ranches?

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Task Government On Cattle Routes by ifebosco: 10:46am On Oct 07, 2013
nigerian leaders and lack of ideas,is this very dificult to resolve?just 3month is enough to re educate the fulanis and their cattle rearer business,with all the arable lands in this country for criss sake,and with their lazy atitude in goverment you great hatred amoung us for no good reason.trabalist every were because of bad leadership

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Two Convicts To Die By Hanging In Kano / Photo Evidence To Prove Akure Explosion Was A Massive Truck Bomb / Over 5,000 PDP Members Decamp To APC In Kebbi In Support Of Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.