Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,663 members, 7,820,331 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience (12552 Views)

Using Linkedin In Your Job Search / Questions A Job Seeker Shouldn't Ask In An Interview. / Help This Frustrated Job Seeker. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by spicyuzo(m): 8:45pm On Oct 08, 2013
Nice...
"if the world does not make you laugh....tickle yourself" i love this..i will always remember this....
Just as i will remember the author...Nenergy

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by idrezee(m): 8:46pm On Oct 08, 2013
nenergy: Three months, that was the time frame within which I was sure I would get a job. So after the fifth month without a job, depression naturally crept in. My name is Nenergy and this is my story.

I graduated from the University of Uyo with a degree in marketing and was posted to serve in Gombe State under the National Youth Service scheme. Service year ended in October, 2011 and despite the reality of job scarcity I was so sure a job will be in my grasp in just three months. Why was I so certain? Well for one, I was well armed with knowledge and skills I got from attending career seminars and employability workshops like the Microsoft Employability Programme organized by LEAP Africa. I was also certain that my enthusiasm and can-do attitude will work the magic. Yes, knowledge, skills, enthusiasm and a can-do attitude did work some magic, but one essential element was missing – I did not understand the Nigerian job market.

My job search started in January 2012, but the fuel subsidy crisis made that January a NO-VACANCY period in Nigeria. February came and went and so did March, and April, yet not even an invitation for aptitude test. Something was clearly wrong. Were my applications all going to the recycle bin or shredder? Depression set in, my enthusiasm waned, my savings dried up, and I began having disagreements with my parents. I found solace in relating with other job-seekers. We would gather to share information and recruitment stories and discuss the way forward. The movie “The Company Men” was also an inspiration. The movie plot is based on the lives of working class men who lost their jobs due to redundancy. Life was tough and depression set in, but they did not give up. They got their lives back because they had faith, courage and enthusiasm.

With renewed zest, I began to study trends in the Nigerian job market and also focused on personal development. I reset my goals, improve my computing skills, re-crafted my CV, extended my searchlight, pounded the streets more and things began to look up. The aptitude tests invites began to trickle in, and then came the interviews. I got my fair share of rejections, even turned down two job offers and in September 2012 after an aptitude test, a minor car accident, a computer based test and two interviews, I got a job (my first BIG job). Not just any job, but a job that matches my skill, abilities and career objective.

Today, the story can be told of how a young Nigerian found a thrilling and fulfilling job after almost 9 months of protracted search. The long wait was not easy, but it was worth it because it birthed THE JOB SEEKERS’ CREED™. I did it, and so will you. See you at the top!
................and I tot I was intelligent. Envy u, not 4 ur employment but 4 diz write up- it rocks.

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by nenergy(m): 9:11pm On Oct 08, 2013
idrezee: ................and I tot I was intelligent. Envy u, not 4 ur employment but 4 diz write up- it rocks.
Hahaha. I'm a still learner. Thanks bro!
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by nenergy(m): 9:14pm On Oct 08, 2013
presiade: I'm waiting to resume with a good coy by October ending.
Congrats bro!

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by idrezee(m): 9:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
tellwisdom: You got a cheap job and you are here shouting and disturbing our peace, most especially my peace. Why don't you buy a slot with CNN and broadcast your newly found job?? sad...What is really wrong with our youthsangry
like seriously? Calling dis dude a SADIST'll b doin sadists a great injustice cos he's worse. I mean, did u actually typed dat tin wit ur hands? Gosh! Na 2day I know sey "winch" dey exist.

2 Likes

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by olusola2bello: 10:29pm On Oct 08, 2013
Congrats bro....so proud to have u as a frnd and colleague....d badoo of our office. Lol. God bless and increase u and we still det go NCC o

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Aigbekaenjossy: 10:35pm On Oct 08, 2013
Wow!
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by gal10(f): 10:37pm On Oct 08, 2013
tellwisdom: You got a cheap job and you are here shouting and disturbing our peace, most especially my peace. Why don't you buy a slot with CNN and broadcast your newly found job?? sad...What is really wrong with our youthsangry
and to think that wisdom is/was part of your name........ lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 1:39am On Oct 09, 2013
I key in to dis testimony and [b][/b]BODLY declared "I am next to testify". Tnk u it is inspiring n motivating.

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by pendusky(m): 5:40am On Oct 09, 2013
noted!!!
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by mysticgal(f): 5:48am On Oct 09, 2013
kai op na people like you no dey drink garri,i swear i love your doggedness,and inspiring story.

2 Likes

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by nenergy(m): 6:13am On Oct 09, 2013
mysticgal: kai op na people like you no dey drink garri,i swear i love your doggedness,and inspiring story.
I nor understand the garri part, maybe na figure of speech. I dey drink garri + fried fish well-well o.
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by mysticgal(f): 6:58am On Oct 09, 2013
nenergy:
I nor understand the garri part, maybe na figure of speech. I dey drink garri + fried fish well-well o.

yes figure of speech,i meant being poor or wasted

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Hartarmah(m): 10:32am On Oct 09, 2013
Nenergy!i really will like to commend u for dis brain work u did to put dis tugeda in order to encourage nd give hope to odas dt was ready to give up.God will make ur testimony last,bigger nd weighty dt he will complete d work he has started in ur life.Here is an opportunity he gave to u nd dis in turn giving it to oda fellow of urs.Can u pls list some f dis jobseeking site nd mayb if u don't mind i can connect wt u on fb by giving me ur acct name.God bless u,see u at d top.

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by nenergy(m): 10:49am On Oct 09, 2013
Hartarmah: Nenergy!i really will like to commend u for dis brain work u did to put dis tugeda in order to encourage nd give hope to odas dt was ready to give up.God will make ur testimony last,bigger nd weighty dt he will complete d work he has started in ur life.Here is an opportunity he gave to u nd dis in turn giving it to oda fellow of urs.Can u pls list some f dis jobseeking site nd mayb if u don't mind i can connect wt u on fb by giving me ur acct name.God bless u,see u at d top.

Thanks and Amen to your prayers! Just Like the facebook page. (fb.com/TheJobseekersCreed) Excerpts from the book is being posted as we speak.
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by ugonna1054(m): 11:07am On Oct 09, 2013
Ahuitzotl: Yes we have heard, why don't stop you bragging and allow some unfortunate jobseekers out there some peace, yes?!.Jobs come jobs go but life still goes on...
[quote dnt speak for everyone speak only for ur self,bcuz u re unfortunate in job seeking does not mean others will be like you!!prick..
author=Ahuitzotl]Yes we have heard, why don't stop you bragging and allow some unfortunate jobseekers out there some peace, yes?!.Jobs come jobs go but life still goes on...[/quote]
tellwisdom:

Please don't "Hi" me undecided.
all this bad belle people on NL just f*uck off and go to the evil forest!! See ur name self like Tellfoolishness my nyansh

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Joe4real701(m): 3:33pm On Oct 09, 2013
vivichocs: Soo hapi for you bros...I wish you promotions in your work place...could u tell us where u got ur current job if you don't mind?
i dey wit u bro

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by bayulll01(m): 8:56pm On Oct 09, 2013
Subscribing better things ahead

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by hardychris(m): 11:47pm On Oct 09, 2013
Thank God for you bro, I know exactly how it feels like when U̶̲̥̅̊ don't have any job, both ur friends and family will be against U̶̲̥̅̊
I pray we all will get a good job and testify it aswell.

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Cutesthunk(m): 5:25pm On Oct 10, 2013
Bro nenegy, oya make we wash am.......i'm waiting.......

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where To Find ADULT EDUCATION In Lagos: Enter Here / 8 Important Factors Nigeria Fresh Graduate Needs To Check Before Submitting Cv / Massive Shake Up In NNPC, 55 Staff Affected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.