Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,075 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey - Fashion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey (314747 Views)

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by beautifulynappy(f): 4:42pm On Dec 01, 2013
NappilyNigerian: I've been thinking about the ultimate protective style that will keep my hair hidden but look fabulous.

While braids and twists with extensions are good protective styles, the problem is that your hair strands are still exposed within the extensions and when the braiders are trying to neaten it with the scissors, they snip off some hair that managed to escape at the sides.
A lot of that and you lose a lot of length. This is in addition to the extensions being heavy and being braided too tight.

So what styles do I think are at least 99% protective?

Yarn wraps,
Crochet weaves
Regular weaves
Marley braids or twists (no snips to smoothen anything and they are chunky enough to hide your hair)
Wigs

These keep your hair completely hidden away from the elements.

Runner ups,

Yarn braids
Box braids
Senegalese twists
Good ole bun
Inverted beehive ( protects the ends beautifully, so little breakage)

Hey Napily I am going to post this on my blog in a few days if that's okay by you, I think the tips are very useful especially in winter seasons smiley And when I do put it up I will let you know! Have a nice day.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by gianni(f): 8:39am On Dec 04, 2013
NappilyNigerian, apart from oiling your braids, do you also oil your scalp after wiping?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by imelachi(f): 9:18am On Dec 04, 2013
Please hw can i get dose natural hair care products 2 keep my hair growth. I nid dem badly. Pls tel me wat dy r, wat de r usd 4 n hw i can get dm. Thanks
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 04, 2013
$wtme:

undecided undecided undecided Abeg park well make we see encouraging comments
grin grin grin grin lol
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by tiebe: 5:15pm On Dec 04, 2013
Miatha:
pls is it d gentelle hair fruits conditioner, cn i use it 4my relaxed hair dat is very light and how do i use it pls tanx

Hallo, its the gentelle one. you can use it for any hair type. i dnt think it was made specifically for unrelaxed hair. i think a lot of the products that we use for our hair can be used for any hair type. you just have to find the one that works for you. and i always feel that looking specifically for one type of hair product for natural or relaxed hair will limit you. because, a time will come when you cannot find some of these 'special' products.

anyways, i've tried all sorts of things to get a clearer picture of my hair i used for the wedding. the album is still not out yet so, i hope you get the general idea from this picture. smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:41am On Dec 05, 2013
beautifulynappy:

Hey Napily I am going to post this on my blog in a few days if that's okay by you, I think the tips are very useful especially in winter seasons smiley And when I do put it up I will let you know! Have a nice day.
Sure, do share!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 9:27am On Dec 06, 2013
gianni: NappilyNigerian, apart from oiling your braids, do you also oil your scalp after wiping?

I apply oil to my scalp only if my scalp feels dry. I use those babywipes with cream. If your scalp feels dry after wiping you can apply oil to your scalp and massage in until fully absorbed.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 9:06pm On Dec 06, 2013
imelachi: Please hw can i get dose natural hair care products 2 keep my hair growth. I nid dem badly. Pls tel me wat dy r, wat de r usd 4 n hw i can get dm. Thanks

Hi, here is a link for natural hair friendly products and the vendors www.nappilynigeriangirl..com/p/natural-hair-products_5.html
You can select a product in each category and purchase them from the vendors listed below.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 9:44pm On Dec 06, 2013
How important is it to know your hair type?
Knowing your hair type is important to
- select suitable products for your hair (a real money saver)
- select the best styling methods and tools for your hair
- grow your hair long and healthy.

Some people can chemically relax their hair and it won't change colour, lose volume or break away. Their hair is as strong and as healthy as the day they first relaxed. Others begin to face stagnant hair growth, discoloration, hair loss and thinning even when they use the same relaxers as the former. This is due to difference in hair types.

Some people can heat style daily with no problems while others face heat damaged tresses.

Some people can do nothing special to their hair and see growth while others need special products to strenghten their hair and retain growth. Just as our faces are different, our hair types are different.

So, how can you tell your hair type?

The most popular hair typing system used is the Andre Walker classification. It groups hair into four types:-

Type 1 (straight hair)
Type 2 (wavy hair)
Type 3 ( curly hair)
Type 4 ( kinky hair)

Most Nigerians have type 4 hair which is kinky hair.
Personally, I only find this classification system useful to give someone who hasn't seen my hair an idea of what it 'looks' like.
This is because my hair might 'look like' someone else's hair but behave in a totally different way in the same conditions.
That's why I try asking several questions to better understand your hair texture when a request is made for a NappyGirl Kit.

Here's a tip to knowing your natural hair curl/coil pattern (if you have natural hair)
- Wash your hair free of products using a mild shampoo or shampoo bar.
- Blot hair until damp, then apply a deep conditioner to your hair and cover with a cap for 5-20mins.
This is to intensely moisturise your hair.
- With the conditioner still in your hair, smooth several strands of hair between your fingers until they clump together and release.
Note your curl/coil pattern and size of each coil.
Are your coils 's' shaped or 'o' shaped like a pen spring?
How big are your coils?

Next thing to know is the porosity of your hair. (Relaxed and natural)
The more porous your hair, the more likely it is to get wet fast, get dry faster and drink in products. Porous hair needs moisturising products that keep the hair moisturised for longer. It also takes up dyes and chemical relaxers fast and is prone to breakage.
The less porous your hair is, the harder it is to relax, moisturise, dye and products take a longer time to sink in. This type of hair is stronger than more porous hair and less susceptible to breakage.
To know your porosity, take a clean strand of hair (no oils, moisturisers etc on it). Place it in a glass of clean water and note how long it takes to sink. If it floats longer than 10 secs, you can roughly conclude you have low porosity hair. If it sinks in less time, you have varying degrees of medium-high porous hair.

These are just a few tests to determine the best products, methods and tools to grow and retain length in your hair.

For more tips www.nappilynigeriangirl..com/2012/10/my-hair-and-my-products.html

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 10:00pm On Dec 06, 2013
ti-ebe:

Hallo, its the gentelle one. you can use it for any hair type. i dnt think it was made specifically for unrelaxed hair. i think a lot of the products that we use for our hair can be used for any hair type. you just have to find the one that works for you. and i always feel that looking specifically for one type of hair product for natural or relaxed hair will limit you. because, a time will come when you cannot find some of these 'special' products.

anyways, i've tried all sorts of things to get a clearer picture of my hair i used for the wedding. the album is still not out yet so, i hope you get the general idea from this picture. smiley

This is simple and elegant. Your hair looks really healthy. I'm glad you found products that work for you.

While I agree that some products work both for natural and relaxed African hair....most especially if they have natural ingredients....some products are more suitable for relaxed hair than natural hair and vice versa. Relaxed hair need products with reconstructing ingredients (such as proteins and silicones) since the hair fibre has been compromised which if used on natural hair could weigh it down, lead to protein overload etc. since the natural hair fibre is intact.

One doesn't really need to hunt for products since most of the 'special' hair care products can be substituted with locally sourced ones. For example, sulfate free shampoos can be substituted with liquid black soap. The ready made products just make it easier to care for your hair if you have limited time and patience.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by funkybaby(f): 5:35pm On Dec 07, 2013
I am at the moment deep conditioning my hair using a blend of oils ( coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, extra virgin olive oil and few drops of essential oil - cherry).

I might upload a picture of the final result. cool
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Creamychi(f): 9:49am On Dec 08, 2013
chigoville: Am a guy all I need is how to make my hair darker without dyeing
All u need is a tea rinse.just get the normal lipton teabag.brew it just like yhu brew ur tea,u can use 3 teabags,allow it to cool then use it to wash ur hair..wit constant usuage u will achieve ur desired results
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by debybeautyworld(f): 4:07pm On Dec 08, 2013
Talkin abt hair, for those of us dat still fix weavon, we @ Debby Beauty World have in stock grade 5A Brazilian nd Peruvian virgin human hair @ a vry affordable price. Available in stock now is 16-28 inches, natural colour #2, but it can be dyed to any desired colour. We guarantee dat our hair is 100% original virgin human hair, it doesn't shed or tangle. Our hair cmes in a single piece in 1 pack nd weighs 100g. In d spirit of d season of luv nd gift, we re currently offering 20% discount on purchases above 1 piece plus free shipping to any state in Nigeria. We also hv 2014 cow leather ladies costume wrist watches of various designs. For more inquiry visit us on facebook @ www.facebook.com/debbybeautyworld or email us @ nkanyi.deborah@gmail.com. U can also call us on 08065997156. God bless u
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by arunmeka: 4:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
Hello All,

My Name is Arun Meka. I lived and worked in Lagos for many years, and now I am into full-time exporting human hair from India.

I export to Nigeria and many other countries.

Following are my products:-

1) Wefted hair - Funmi hair, Remy hair and Non-remy hair
2) Bulk hair
3) Clip extensions
4) Wigs

I have a local contact in Lagos. Please contact me or my contact in Lagos if you are looking for any of the above products.
I offer heavy discounts for wholesale buyers.

Arun Meka (India) - +91-9849441092
BB PIN:75973261
Chidinma (Lagos) - +234-8034100068
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 09, 2013
hi all just got my BIG CHOP on the 7th was sooooo excited!

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by imelachi(f): 11:43pm On Dec 09, 2013
Creamy_chi:
All u need is a tea rinse.just get the normal lipton teabag.brew it just like yhu brew ur tea,u can use 3 teabags,allow it to cool then use it to wash ur hair..wit constant usuage u will achieve ur desired results
can it work on a lady's hair 2
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by dontgivafuck: 2:25pm On Dec 10, 2013
imelachi: can it work on a lady's hair 2
ofcourse na it ws formulated by ladies for the ladies, it controls hair breakage, for dying purposes u shld let d tea dry on ur hair b4 rinsing off, it'll kinda stiffen ur hair buh condition afterwards n u re gud to go
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by rofemiguwa(f): 11:00pm On Dec 11, 2013
Nappy please I went to search for emily millionaire coconut and herbs and d one I saw is hair cream kinda.please is it d same tin as the conditioner. For d deep conditioner.please ans
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by chaloner(m): 8:24am On Dec 12, 2013
NappilyNigerian: A lot of people don't think Nigerian hair can grow long and soft unless they are mixed or their hair is relaxed...that isn't true.

Nigerians can have soft and long hair too whether relaxed or natural.

The problem is that we don't really know how to care for our hair type.

The Indians know how to care for their coarse straight hair (coarse being that their hair strands are thick ...people confuse coarse with 'the feel of the hair' not the strand thickness...your hair can be coarse and feel soft).
The Brazilians, the Chinese, the Caucasians all know how to care for their hair type but unfortunately many Africans don't know how to care for their hair.

They'll use products and methods suited for the hairtypes of other races ....and when their hair revolts by being hard, dry, break and such....they blame the hair....not the products or methods!

The key to growing soft, long Nigerian hair is this "NOURISH THE SCALP, STRENGTHEN THE HAIR".

Avoid products and methods that clog or dry out the scalp.
Avoid products and methods that damage the hair strands.

Most Nigerians have hair (in it's natural state) that is
-very coily
-fine stranded
-porous

which make it prone to dryness (reason for the hard to touch) and breakage (reason we don't have long hair).

Even if your hair is relaxed, it can't change the fact that our strands are much thinner and flatter than the straight hair of other races and the chemicals make our hair even more fragile.

Here are simple tips to grow Nigerian hair long and soft.

1.Nourish the scalp

-Natural oils and butters contains nutrients that nourish the scalp.
The scalp is the soil from which hair grows.

-Scalp massages with oils know to stimulate hair growth is beneficial not only to growing hair but also to growing stronger, healthier hair that can withstand styling and be less prone to breakage (which is the reason why one is stuck with one length forever!!!!)..

- Washing the scalp with harsh products dry it out leading to scalp problems and poor hair growth. So use good quality products.

The Indians know it. The Brazilians know it!

2. Strengthen and protect the hair:
- The hair that grows out of your scalp is relatively is not living tissue.Healthy, soft hair starts from the scalp.

- Because our hair is super coily, the natural oils on our scalp cannot flow down to the ends of our hair. (same thing even when you're relaxed. You can't get all the kinks out without damaging the hair).
So a light coating of natural oil daily helps lubricate and protect the strands and retain moisture.

- Speaking of moisture, dryness is the reason our hair feels hard to touch and the reason it breaks.
It's important to use hair products that draw moisture to the cortex of the hair strands keeping it supple, flexible, soft and less prone to breakage. (meaning more visible growth).

- Also don't rip through tangles with a comb (never use those blue rat tailed comb!)
Use a wide tooth comb and detangle from bottom to top as carefully as you would detangled your treasured Brazilian/Peruvian/Indian weave.

- If you're relaxed, make sure your hair is completely dry and oiled (I love coconut oil) before detangling. If you're natural, damp or wet detangling with slippery conditioner will save your length.

Here's a picture of my hair using the right methods and products for my Afro textured hair and I hope to grow it even longer!
so so sexy http://www.weyab.com/2013/12/how-to-grow-nigerian-hair-long-my-hair.html
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 5:42pm On Dec 14, 2013
[quote
author=rofemiguwa]Nappy please I went to search for emily millionaire
coconut and herbs and d one I saw is hair cream kinda.please is it d
same tin as the conditioner. For d deep conditioner.please ans[/quote]

Yes it is.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:15pm On Dec 14, 2013
chaloner: so so sexy http://www.weyab.com/2013/12/how-to-grow-nigerian-hair-long-my-hair.html

chaloner: so so sexy http://www.weyab.com/2013/12/how-to-grow-nigerian-hair-long-my-hair.html

While I appreciate your making me aware about the use of my post on your website, I do not appreciate that my images were used without prior consent from me nor that the post was not properly credited to me. I'll be grateful if the oversights are addressed.
Thanks.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by ades0la(f): 12:37am On Dec 31, 2013
Hello, i've got two problems which are: Hair breakage and hair loss please how do I stop these and start having healthy hair? cry
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Yudeeaikay(f): 1:51pm On Jan 01, 2014
So my hair is not really long compared to urs and I just relaxed it this month....I want to start keeping my natural unrelaxed hair but I dnt knw hw to maintain it. I really need help...I'll like to meet u personally or atleast someone recommended by you to guide me through the process...am based in uyo but I stay in enugu most of the time...thanks anxiously awaiting ur reply
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 04, 2014
Hii everyone,I just had my big CHOP on the 2nd,jan 2014..although I am very shy about it but I'm loving it..smiley

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by mspee(f): 6:55pm On Jan 04, 2014
missblanche: Hii everyone,I just had my big CHOP on the 2nd,jan 2014..although I am very shy about it but I'm loving it..smiley

Brave you! smiley
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 04, 2014
ms_pee:

Brave you! smiley
Thanks a lot smiley it was kinda hard before going into that barbing salon but I made my choice and I'm going to stick to and with it smiley
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 12:29pm On Jan 10, 2014
ades0la: Hello, i've got two problems which are: Hair breakage and hair loss please how do I stop these and start having healthy hair? cry

Common causes of hairloss and breakage not medically related include
- Dehydration
- Dryness
- Tight braids and weaves
- Use of harsh products such as alcohol based gels and sprays
- Consistent use of wigs and weaves without protection of hair
- Friction from towels, cotton sheets etc
- Use of wrong styling tools such as close toothed combs and brushes
- Wrong washing and detangling methods
- Chemical overprocessing of hair and scalp
- consistent use of heat styling tools
- constant hairstyling without a break.

If you take note of these problems in your routine, your hairloss and breakage can be controlled.

For more info, please go to nappilynigeriangirl..com
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 12:37pm On Jan 10, 2014
Yudeeaikay: So my hair is not really long compared to urs and I just relaxed it this month....I want to start keeping my natural unrelaxed hair but I dnt knw hw to maintain it. I really need help...I'll like to meet u personally or atleast someone recommended by you to guide me through the process...am based in uyo but I stay in enugu most of the time...thanks anxiously awaiting ur reply

Hi dear, your msg came at a good time. Send me an email and I'll get back to you. We are currently in the final stages of setting up a natural hair salon in Awka. So whenever you have the opportunity, you can come over for a full consultation and treatment.
We will also care for relaxed hair so that those who prefer not to go natural can have healthy thicker and longer hair after scheduled visits.

More details about the salon will be posted on my blog and other social networks....
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 12:43pm On Jan 10, 2014
Hi all, happy new year!!!

nappilynigeriangirl is having a giveaway with award winning hair and skin products with a special inclusion of a NappyGirl UberMoist Pudding formulated to addressing whatever hair issues you may have.

To participate, go to www.nappilynigeriangirl..com for more details.

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by ades0la(f): 7:53pm On Jan 10, 2014
NappilyNigerian:

Common causes of hairloss and breakage not medically related include
- Dehydration
- Dryness
- Tight braids and weaves
- Use of harsh products such as alcohol based gels and sprays
- Consistent use of wigs and weaves without protection of hair
- Friction from towels, cotton sheets etc
- Use of wrong styling tools such as close toothed combs and brushes
- Wrong washing and detangling methods
- Chemical overprocessing of hair and scalp
- consistent use of heat styling tools
- constant hairstyling without a break.

If you take note of these problems in your routine, your hairloss and breakage can be controlled.

For more info, please go to nappilynigeriangirl..com
thanks a lot!.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 9:02pm On Jul 09, 2014
do you have any questions about growing Nigerian hair long? Ask here!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Ankara Styles / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) / stylish kareena kapoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.