Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,976 members, 7,810,708 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey - Fashion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey (314432 Views)

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:12pm On Nov 14, 2013
Duchaello: Please,could you please tell me how to use the henna leave and is the henna leave the same with the laali leave used as herbs for the yorubas? await your reply.

Yes, that's the very type I use.

I usually sift a milk tin cup of the leaves (to remove twigs). Then I mix it with a little water then add lemon juice from one lemon (acidic to draw out the dye).
Some people use Apple Cider Vinegar or tea infusions.
The henna paste has the consistency of thick oats.

When the color changes to reddish brown, I dilute the mix with conditioner till it's a consistency I can work with (like baby food).
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 14, 2013
Black hairs are meant to be braided or dreaded, and not straighten. This is what lead to inferiority complex and self-hatred: when a mother raises her daughter to start comparing her hair to that of foreigners. When the kid accepts the status quo at early age but cannot have that straight hair, she will forever live in a state of denial and insecurity.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:24pm On Nov 14, 2013
naijatoday: Please, what can someone with dandruff use?

Where can I get AVC here in Lagos.

Thanks.

For dandruff, Head and Shoulders work well but be sure to use it on the scalp only and condition your hair well after shampoo because that shampoo in my opinion is really drying!
There are other natural alternatives such as applying a mix of olive oil and tea tree oil /eucalyptus oil. They are effective but may take a longer while especially if your dandruff is severe.

I'm not familiar with Lagos market but you can order online from naturalnigerian.com or kinkyapothecary.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
JOYCEOUS:

I am very sure the products you use are expensive, what about the local or home-made products?

They are not so expensive and I use them because a little goes a long way.
I also didn't have a good experience with some Nigerian products available...such as Petals products , Vinoz , Damatol, SoulMate, Apple.....I really tired to make them work!
I did have very good results using Dudu Osun Soap to wash my hair and Emily Millionaire Coconut and Herbs as a deep conditioner and I fall back on them from time to time when I run out of my staples.
I love that the Nigerian market is a great source of unrefined oils and butters and I purchase them often.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:36pm On Nov 14, 2013
Anyanwu68: Please am A̷̷̴̐͠ guy and I carry hair(as in I don't cut my hair) but I don't like the look of my hair,please what are the affordable Nigerian products that can help me darken my hair nd make it pleasant to the eyes please I really need help from my fellow nairalanders(I don't want to dye the hair)

Well, rosemary essential oil and amla oil are known to maintain dark hair. If you have a problem with the color, a natural way is to use a mix of henna leaves and indigo dye. Ask the people (usually Northerners) that sell henna or 'lalle' leaves in the market near you.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:42pm On Nov 14, 2013
PetDancer: Pls i want to know do u retouch ur hair when there is undergrowth in it?

My hair isn't relaxed. The straighter texture was as a result of blowdrying with a round boar bristle brush..I.e. heat straightening as against chemical straightening.

For relaxed hair, the best time to retouch your hair is when you have at least 3 inches of undergrowth. It doesn't matter if it takes 3 or 6 mths as long as you have at least 3 inches.
...and when you retouch, relax the undergrowth only to avoid overlapping your relaxer which can damage your hair, weaken it and cause it to lose color.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
Amyjustin: Pls NN, i want 2 grow my hair longer though it's already past my shoulder. I use jst beva relaxer, petals conditioner nd soulmate hair cream. Dnt knw d name of d shampoo. Cn u tell me what 2 use nd wat nt 2 use. Plus i'm braiding my hair tday,shld i apply anytn while my hair is braided.

Well if your hair is past your shoulder with the current product you're using, then there's really no need to fix what ain't broke.
Seems to be working for your hair...though very few people use those products and get away with it.
If I may suggest, you can substitute the soulmate cream for sheabutter and apply on your hair to protect your strands while the braiding is going on.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by misslaw(f): 7:51pm On Nov 14, 2013
@OP nic one..
I cut ma hair last year january...i mean all of it so i had (skin)..Nw i hv a soft ,black hair nd it doin wel.i relaxd evry six mnth bt hv got a prob am loosing my frnt hair dis days..cn u help me pls
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by misslaw(f): 8:12pm On Nov 14, 2013
here re sum pix of recently...i jst loose d hair den

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by misslaw(f): 8:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
hvn issues uploadn d pix

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by IFY124(f): 9:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
@ Nappily Nigerian,Pls what can I do to. Stop my hair from. Breaking especially the front and tips. This is d picture of my hair

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Biolaolowo(f): 10:17pm On Nov 14, 2013
i dont believe in all these treatments and personally i dont use them and i av a natural long hair if u are bound to have a long hair u will definitely av it if u are nt bound to av a long hair no matter d treament u use it will nt work for u

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 11:54pm On Nov 14, 2013
Biolaolowo: i dont believe in all these treatments and personally i dont use them and i av a natural long hair if u are bound to have a long hair u will definitely av it if u are nt bound to av a long hair no matter d treament u use it will nt work for u
If you do not create the right environment for your hair, treat it as it should be treated, whether you are bound to have long hair or not, your hair will FAIL. Ask the people who have been seeking advice on this thread. Hair doesn't just wake up one morning and decide it's going to mess up if one doesn't treat it properly. Sometimes it's not even about the length, it's about having healthy hair. Your hair can be long and still be messed up. Treatments are an integral part of hair care. The tricky part is looking for what treatments work for one's hair.

4 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by ThaProphet(m): 12:17am On Nov 15, 2013
Awesome! Love your hair. Glad to see that some of our women still rock their natural hair. Refreshing!

Keep up the good work and continue educating others.

Peace!

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Pearlyakin(m): 6:29am On Nov 15, 2013
Please my own case is that hair is not growing in my fore head scalp and am keeping afro,moreso my hair is kinky and i dont like using relaxer,though am a guy..

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by PetDancer(f): 7:09am On Nov 15, 2013
Pls nappily can i have ur contact?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by imelachi(f): 7:44am On Nov 15, 2013
wat abot dark n lovely products
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by XavierSmiley: 8:01am On Nov 15, 2013
Pls Nappily how do ¶ maintain my dreadlocks ... Tanx
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by ColourTv: 10:10am On Nov 15, 2013
Biolaolowo: i dont believe in all these treatments and personally i dont use them and i av a natural long hair if u are bound to have a long hair u will definitely av it if u are nt bound to av a long hair no matter d treament u use it will nt work for u
Stu.pid talk from an ignorant person.

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Queeniekruuz(f): 12:46pm On Nov 15, 2013
nappily darl, pls let me have ur bbm pin, or add me up on whatsapp 08168485837, Facebook Queeniekruuz Ata Tangban or 2go Queenkruuz. pls i will be waiting, need more help from u. tanx.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by swtme(f): 12:52pm On Nov 15, 2013

undecided undecided undecided Abeg park well make we see encouraging comments

3 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by seangy4konji: 12:56pm On Nov 15, 2013
if ur irun obo dis long too??then u r my wife from heaven.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 15, 2013
NappilyNigerian: So, I just washed my hair and discovered I had little to no breakage. To reduce breakage I've been finger detangling exclusively.
ACV rinses at the end of shampooing also helps with the tangles.

Please, what's "ACV?"
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Sissie(f): 1:55pm On Nov 15, 2013
LaChicabonita:

Please, what's "ACV?"

Apple cider vinegar

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:11pm On Nov 15, 2013
miss law: @OP nic one..
I cut ma hair last year january...i mean all of it so i had (skin)..Nw i hv a soft ,black hair nd it doin wel.i relaxd evry six mnth bt hv got a prob am loosing my frnt hair dis days..cn u help me pls

what's your styling regimen like and what products are you currently using?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:12pm On Nov 15, 2013
Queeniekruuz: nappily darl, pls let me have ur bbm pin, or add me up on whatsapp 08168485837, Facebook Queeniekruuz Ata Tangban or 2go Queenkruuz. pls i will be waiting, need more help from u. tanx.

Hi, I sent you an email.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:14pm On Nov 15, 2013
XavierSmiley: Pls Nappily how do ¶ maintain my dreadlocks ... Tanx

Please go to the wedding hairstyles for natural hair thread. there's a lot of useful info for caring for locs.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:16pm On Nov 15, 2013
PetDancer: Pls nappily can i have ur contact?

nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:17pm On Nov 15, 2013
imelachi: wat abot dark n lovely products

I find it too greasy and the ingredients build up on hair overtime needing you to shampoo more.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:21pm On Nov 15, 2013
Pearlyakin: Please my own case is that hair is not growing in my fore head scalp and am keeping afro,moreso my hair is kinky and i dont like using relaxer,though am a guy..

Seems to be your natural hairline. There isn't much you do to cause your hairline to receed unlike women. To keep your fro soft, apply a little curl activator like Jack5.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:40pm On Nov 15, 2013
Spread the word!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:42pm On Nov 15, 2013
Hi house, if you reside in Abuja or know anyone in Abuja, the owner of Lumo Naturals Salon has graciously given customers 5% of their services if you say Nappilynigeriangirl sent you.
The salon is based in Gwarimpa. Here's the full address.

Lumo Naturals Salon & Spa
Suite G8, Mbouty Plaza, behind Nanet Emirates Hotel, Marcus Garvey Str, 5th Ave, Gwarimpa, Abuja.
To book an appointment,
Email: lumonaturals@gmail.com
Phone: +234 7032122173

In addition to caring for hair the right way, they also stock some of the products I listed earlier.

Please make use of the discount while it lasts and it's especially good for kids so you can start grooming their hair the right way early.

In addition to the 5% discount, there is a 20% discount on all spa services on the 30th of November with free goodie bags and mocktails!
Why not use this opportunity to spoil yourself!
Massages, manicures, facials, wine anyone?!

Do share!
For more details, go to www.lumonaturals..com

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Ankara Styles / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) / stylish kareena kapoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.