Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,898 members, 7,810,451 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey - Fashion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey (314423 Views)

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by rofemiguwa(f): 10:19am On Nov 16, 2013
I use dark and lovely product.den someone advised I use organics.d result I got was crazy.my hair didn't relax.some part got burnt,it shedded so much.note dis never happened with dark n lovely.I however want to kip a healthy hair.someone suggested that mega sometin relaxer by profletiv.d one in d yellow pack.I don't wannA have anoda nasty experience.shud I just go back to my dark n lovely kit.please wat do u suggest?.tank u
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by IFY124(f): 10:43am On Nov 16, 2013
IFY124: @ Nappily Nigerian,Pls what can I do to. Stop my hair from. Breaking especially the front and tips. This is d picture of my hair
please am still waiting for your response
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by misslaw(f): 11:40am On Nov 16, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

what's your styling regimen like and what products are you currently using?
i use profective relaxer nd i use coconut oil as an hair cream...dat all
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by beautifulynappy(f): 12:29pm On Nov 16, 2013
I love styling my hair! I am glad that there are Nigerians out there growing their beautiful natural hair! Nigerian hair can grow as long as we want it to grow with the right care! Check out my new blog on Nigerian Hair care! Its a new blog so please leave comments! I would like feedback!! http://beautifullynappy./

I would have put pictures of my natural hair but I dont know how to do it here! So checkout the blog cheesy
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by PetDancer(f): 1:59pm On Nov 16, 2013
Please nappily send me a mail,dnt knw wat's wrong with my email,having probs ,I would love to have ur bb pin too, so that I can reach you easily
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by beautifulynappy(f): 2:30pm On Nov 16, 2013
IFY124: please am still waiting for your response

To stop your hair from breaking at the tips, when conditioning make sure your focus your conditioners that your tips because they are the oldest part of your hair and they need the most love. Also check if you have any split ends, split ends cannot be repaired they only break hair. If you have split ends trim them of. Avoid using too much heat on your hair and spray water on your hair before you comb. When you comb your hair be gentle, start from the tips(ends) and move gently upwards.

To reduce hair breakage in the front, reduce the pressure on your scalp. Dont do styles that are too tight, because tight hair styles result in hair being pulled from the roots. So try not to do your weaves or braids too tightly. Also dont pack your hair tightly as well smiley I hope this helps!

I love been lovingly taking care of my hair for about a year and half now and I am loving it! Check out my blog and join me as I document my journey! http://beautifullynappy./, feel free to send me an email as well if you want anything else beautifullynappy@gmail.com. cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Destinygrl(f): 3:55pm On Nov 16, 2013
Hey nappily pls hw do u avoid ur henna mix frm changing ur hair colour to redish bc henna is knwn to do that and for hw long do u leave it on ur hair b4 washing it off tnk
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by kemmary: 5:09pm On Nov 16, 2013
Is it a different castor oil that is used 4d hair? Cos I went to a pharmacy to ask 4it n I was asked if I was pregnant.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:16pm On Nov 16, 2013
rofemiguwa: I use dark and lovely product.den someone advised I use organics.d result I got was crazy.my hair didn't relax.some part got burnt,it shedded so much.note dis never happened with dark n lovely.I however want to kip a healthy hair.someone suggested that mega sometin relaxer by profletiv.d one in d yellow pack.I don't wannA have anoda nasty experience.shud I just go back to my dark n lovely kit.please wat do u suggest?.tank u

Sorry about your bad experience.
When you asked about Dark and Lovely products, did you mean the relaxer?
I personally don't like their products because like I said earlier I find their products too greasy and don't like greasy hair.

I don't relax my hair but I have a motto, if it ain't broke, no need to fix...so if the D and L relaxer was working for you, there wasn't any need to switch unless you felt otherwise. Most times the problem doesn't lie in the type of relaxer but the relaxing process.
So if the D & L worked for you with no burns, then stick to it and concentrate on caring for your hair post-relaxer to prevent breakage.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:23pm On Nov 16, 2013
kemmary: Is it a different castor oil that is used 4d hair? Cos I went to a pharmacy to ask 4it n I was asked if I was pregnant.

LOL! It's the same castor oil. The cold pressed brand is effective as a laxative but it's the same castor oil. The Jamaican Black Castor Oil which is pricier is extracted by roasting the beans and crushing, hence the brown color. The ash content in the JBCO is claimed to make it more effective in growing hair.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:26pm On Nov 16, 2013
Destinygrl :
Hey nappily pls hw do u avoid ur henna mix frm changing ur hair colour to redish bc henna is knwn to do that and for hw long do u leave it on ur hair b4 washing it off tnk

If you don't want the reddish color, you can do a henna mask instead. Simply mix your henna with conditioner to make a paste. Do not add lemon, lime, tea or any highly acidic additive to prevent dye release.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:28pm On Nov 16, 2013
PetDancer: Please nappily send me a mail,dnt knw wat's wrong with my email,having probs ,I would love to have ur bb pin too, so that I can reach you easily

I've replied your mail. You can always reach me on nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 11:33pm On Nov 16, 2013
Hi all, I got some emails wondering if my blog is beautifullynappy.?
No, it belongs to another natural blogger.

My blog is nappilynigeriangirl..com and email is nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com which I also used as a signature.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by beautifulynappy(f): 12:45am On Nov 17, 2013
NappilyNigerian: Hi all, I got some emails wondering if my blog is beautifullynappy.?
No, it belongs to another natural blogger.

My blog is nappilynigeriangirl..com and email is nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com which I also used as a signature.

Hi I am Beautifully Nappy a Nigerian girl who has recently discovered the love of Natural hair, I am love my hair and I have been so excited spreading the word about my blog, I am really looking for comments and feedback. I posted my blog link on your wall because I wanted interested people to have a look. I made it clear I wasnt you. Sorry for the mix up smiley However, I do like what you do, its nice that the natural hair community is growing in Nigeria, enough of the cutting our hair because of weave. If you would be interested in being a guest blogger on my blog I would really like that. You can check out my blog www.beautifullynappy. or email me at beautifullynappy@gmail.com to let me know if you would be interested in sharing some of your tips on my blog, obviously it would be fully recognized as your work. I hope your response is positive.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by imelachi(f): 10:31am On Nov 17, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

I find it too greasy and the ingredients build up on hair overtime needing you to shampoo more.
so how do u advise i maintain my hair using dark and lovely products
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by rofemiguwa(f): 11:06am On Nov 17, 2013
Nappy please how cAn I talk care of my ghana weaving braids with extension.I want to keep my hair clean even while on braids.do u advise washing?.will it affect my hair when I wanna lossen it.for now.I normally rub oils inbetween d braids every 2days.is this okay?.also is ACV rinse suppose to be done after shampoo or after conditioning.awaiting ur response .thanks
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Miatha(f): 8:04pm On Nov 17, 2013
Nappily tanx 4d gud job here. ve a vry vry light short hair filed wit dandruf, breaks alot n no front hair. Pls wat do i do 2my hair, i need length, body n shin, Am relaxed n use olive oil as hair cream. Tanx in advance
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by barag(f): 8:11pm On Nov 17, 2013
Good evenin Nappygirl. Its nice of u to share ur tips on growing natural hair. My hair is currently in between relaxed n natural(last time I relaxed was in june).
2 months back I noticed dt my front hair was breakin seriously n I decide to do wat my sis n I call "bush fallowing'' i.e not makin my hair for a while. I did dis "fallowin" for a month while applyin shea butter to my hair line frequently. The result is my front hair is growin back. I recently used acv to rinse my hair n d result I got is wonderful. Hopin to get those other products u recommended as time goes on.
Thanks once agin for d tips.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2013
Miatha: Nappily tanx 4d gud job here. ve a vry vry light short hair filed wit dandruf, breaks alot n no front hair. Pls wat do i do 2my hair, i need length, body n shin, Am relaxed n use olive oil as hair cream. Tanx in advance

Thanks for the encouragement. Olive oil is good but it seems your hair is dry which may account for the breakage. What sort of products do you use? What's your styling like and how long do you leave the style in for? How often do you relax?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Queeniekruuz(f): 1:48pm On Nov 18, 2013
nappy pls resend d email, didn't get d first one. ur email adress is inaccessible.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by imelachi(f): 2:42pm On Nov 18, 2013
nappy pls wats ds acv, where kan i get it n wat is it used 4. Pls my hair doesnt grw. It has alway bin d same length ever since. I switchd 2 dark n lovely products recently. Pls wat do u advice i do n measures to be taken so my hair can grow long. Am tired of kiping short hair. Pls advice me on wat to use and do. Thanks
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 3:04pm On Nov 18, 2013
NN abeg no vex o, I just wan ask: The contact you gave me, is she in Nigeria?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 7:26pm On Nov 18, 2013
Egba girl: NN abeg no vex o, I just wan ask: The contact you gave me, is she in Nigeria?
Yes, she's in Nigeria but started her site in the States. Her site is in dollars but there's a converter and she ships round Nigeria.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 7:34pm On Nov 18, 2013
rofemiguwa: Nappy please how cAn I talk care of my ghana weaving braids with extension.I want to keep my hair clean even while on braids.do u advise washing?.will it affect my hair when I wanna lossen it.for now.I normally rub oils inbetween d braids every 2days.is this okay?.also is ACV rinse suppose to be done after shampoo or after conditioning.awaiting ur response .thanks

I use baby wipes to keep my scalp and hair clean while in braids.
Rubbing oil in dry braids every two days is good but rub small amounts so your hair won't be oily. Once in a while just spray the braids with clean water.

The ACV should be used after shampoo before you condition.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 7:36pm On Nov 18, 2013
NappilyNigerian:
Yes, she's in Nigeria but started her site in the States. Her site is in dollars but there's a converter and she ships round Nigeria.

I need someone in the US sad
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 7:53pm On Nov 18, 2013
Tips for relaxed sisters to prevent breakage and thus grow hair longer.

- The night before you shampoo, apply coconut oil to your hair and scalp. This strengthens the hair so it will not break so much during shampooing.

- Before you shampoo, comb through your hair using a wide tooth comb to detangle.

- Pour the amount of shampoo you need into a container and dilute with water a little bit or better still switch to sulphate free shampoos.

- Apply shampoo to scalp first then shampoo in the direction of hair growth. Don't scrub at hair haphazardly. This causes tangles and when you want to comb through, you'll break your hair.

- Gently massage your scalp with the pads of your thumbs to release dirt and oil. Rinse of with lukewarm water.
Then pour the bowl of dilute shampoo over your hair, squish in and rinse.

- Next is ACV rinse. Add three tablespoons of ACV into a cup of water and rinse your hair. Repeat a second time. ACV rinses smoothens your hair, gives it shine and helps control dandruff.

- Next apply conditioner to the ends of your hair only. Squish in and cover with a showercap for 5 mins. When the hair is slippery, comb through with a widetooth comb. If you get tangles, apply more conditioner. This step is important for length retention. You'll notice less breakage.

- Rinse off conditioner with cold water, pat dry. Don't rub dry to avoid breakage.

- Apply leave in conditioner, then add oil and allow your hair to completely dry before you comb or whatever style. You can either bun to dry, or braid to dry.
Try not to style relaxed hair until it's completely dry.
That's the difference between naturalhair care and relaxed hair care.

These step help avoid unnecessary breakage of your hair during the washing process. In fact this is one of the main processes that break relaxed hair so you're stuck at the same length like forever!

Cheers all!

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:01pm On Nov 18, 2013
imelachi: so how do u advise i maintain my hair using dark and lovely products

Don't use a lot of it at once. Apply to hair in small amounts. So you won't have so much build up by the time you want to shampoo.
Use the shampoos diluted...pour the amount you need into a bowl and add a little water.
Follow the relaxer kit directions carefully.

...seriously if everyone followed the relaxer directions word for word, there'll be less hair problems...that's what all these I Too Know salon peeps don't know....they'll tell you how they've been relaxing hair for donkey years....but check out the state of their own hair, it'll give an idea of what yours will gradually look like....

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by IFY124(f): 8:25pm On Nov 18, 2013
beautifulynappy:

To stop your hair from breaking at the tips, when conditioning make sure your focus your conditioners that your tips because they are the oldest part of your hair and they need the most love. Also check if you have any split ends, split ends cannot be repaired they only break hair. If you have split ends trim them of. Avoid using too much heat on your hair and spray water on your hair before you comb. When you comb your hair be gentle, start from the tips(ends) and move gently upwards.

To reduce hair breakage in the front, reduce the pressure on your scalp. Dont do styles that are too tight, because tight hair styles result in hair being pulled from the roots. So try not to do your weaves or braids too tightly. Also dont pack your hair tightly as well smiley I hope this helps!

I love been lovingly taking care of my hair for about a year and half now and I am loving it! Check out my blog and join me as I document my journey! http://beautifullynappy./, feel free to send me an email as well if you want anything else beautifullynappy@gmail.com. cheesy
thank you so much. I have learnt a lot of new things.God bless you
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by JOYCEOUS(f): 12:30am On Nov 19, 2013
NappilyNigerian: Spread the word!

Your posts are really encouraging.

You made mention of 'leave~in conditioner', is it the normal conditioner, plus how do I use it?
(my hair is natural).
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by imelachi(f): 3:37am On Nov 19, 2013
pls i need advice on how i can care for my hair. my hair has always been the same length now for like ages and he hair are not all of the same length, also my back hair is so short and my hair pulla out and doesnt grow. i decided to switch to switch to dark and lovely products recently and i dont seems to see any changes. pls kindly advise me on what to do and what to use so my hair can start growing and to maintain the same length pls. advise me on product to use and how to use and what to do. thks
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 4:48pm On Nov 19, 2013
imelachi: pls i need advice on how i can care for my hair. my hair has always been the same length now for like ages and he hair are not all of the same length, also my back hair is so short and my hair pulla out and doesnt grow. i decided to switch to switch to dark and lovely products recently and i dont seems to see any changes. pls kindly advise me on what to do and what to use so my hair can start growing and to maintain the same length pls. advise me on product to use and how to use and what to do. thks

Hi dear, I highlighted the relaxed hair care tips to help you grow your hair in a recent post above. Should you need more deets and product suggestions, pls go to www.nappilynigeriangirl..com or email me at nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 4:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
JOYCEOUS:
Your posts are really encouraging.

You made mention of 'leave~in conditioner', is it the normal conditioner, plus how do I use it?
(my hair is natural).

Thank you. Leave in conditioner is different from normal conditioner in that it has more concentration of water and oils and doesn't need to be rinsed out.
It is used for maintaining daily moisture in the hair after wash day and provides some slip for detangling. You use it on your ends and any dry spots on your hair.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Ankara Styles / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) / stylish kareena kapoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.